• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
All characters can always crouch cancel. Whether or not its useful depends on the move. You can CC jabs at all practical percents.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Strongbad could tell you the formula. If you want general terms, its directly related to knockback, which is directly related to percent and the move's knockback/knockback growth and inversely related to character's weight.

In other words, as damage goes up, knockback goes up. As character's weight goes up, knockback goes down. As knockback goes up, hitstun goes up. Specific moves have different growths (and some have constant knockback, thus constant hitstun [specific to that character, but varies by character weight]).

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Wow, that's confusing. I guess pro players just develop a feel for how long hitstun on their character should be at different percents. I always wonder how people know when to, say, jump/attack out of Falcon's stomp and when to just DI.

Bing

Smash Master
A lot of Fox/Falco players find it easier to move between the Y and B buttons for waveshines, and other technical actions. They're probably right, I've never really tried...

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
A lot of Fox/Falco players find it easier to move between the Y and B buttons for waveshines, and other technical actions. They're probably right, I've never really tried...
Ah. I'll really have to look into that. I always used X ever since I found out how to short hop. I usually slip my nail off of the x button and can even fox into the perfect Nairplane.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Between x and y, really I think the majority use y but it doesn't put you at a disadvantage. People say use whatever is more comfortable for a reason. The real question is using a, c-stick or z for aerials(I'm not asking but that's where there's some real pros and cons...good to know all of them)

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I use X instead of Y for my spacies. even though Y might be easier, I have gotten so use to X that I can't change at this point.

Bing

Smash Master
Im the exact same way :p I use X over Y. My friend Hal uses both. Y for waveshines, X for jumping and wave dashing. I'd get confused, to be honest. :p

Im Considering forcing myself to learn Y though :p

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Im the exact same way :p I use X over Y. My friend Hal uses both. Y for waveshines, X for jumping and wave dashing. I'd get confused, to be honest. :p

Im Considering forcing myself to learn Y though :p
I honestly don't think its worth it. I don't think Y is good enough to the point where you should change how you Waveshine or whatever. Whatever is most comfortable is probably whats best. And I am pretty good at all Fox techniques and I use X.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think that if you just keep practicing with X you will get it eventually. I can doubleshine pretty well to be honest and I use X. Just keep practicing.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of a noob on stage advantage and all but

What exactly makes Kongo Jungle 64 not worthy of a counterpick? Is it one of those maps where fox ***** everyone?

EDIT: As a bonus noob question, whats the secret to constantly being able to punish roll spammers. I have a friend who does this that im playing against in a tournament/lan party soon.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To beat roll spamming you have to think of the game in terms of zones and traps instead of just trying to hit your opponent. If he rolls away, move forward just enough. If he rolls towards you, hit him in his lag.

As for Kongo Jungle, it is really easy to time people out there in a way that allows one player to choose to not fight while the other character can't stop it if they tried.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
To beat roll spamming you have to think of the game in terms of zones and traps instead of just trying to hit your opponent. If he rolls away, move forward just enough. If he rolls towards you, hit him in his lag.

As for Kongo Jungle, it is really easy to time people out there in a way that allows one player to choose to not fight while the other character can't stop it if they tried.
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Andy Lawliet

Smash Cadet
Can someone tell me why the top players are that good?

Like if I'm watching Mango (e.g. vs Fuzzyness) I know he's great and everything but I just can't see why he is that good.
For example I just don't get why he's superior to Fuzzy in that particular video. I only see the stuff he does is working but I don't know why and what he thinks about it...

S l o X

Smash Champion

Like if I'm watching Mango (e.g. vs Fuzzyness) I know he's great and everything but I just can't see why he is that good.
For example I just don't get why he's superior to Fuzzy in that particular video. I only see the stuff he does is working but I don't know why and what he thinks about it...
It all stems from one word: motivation.
which leads to the second most important thing: practice.

go forth.

The Star King

Smash Hero

Multiple reasons. Even the though the improvements in edgeguarding, combos, tech skill, etc. maybe not be hugely obvious, they all add up. If you ask me, what really sets the best apart is their ability to read their opponents ("yomi"), but I know some people would disagree.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace

It's the subtle things that lead to huge increases in ability. The ceiling for GENERAL tech skill (aka not Silentwolf nonsense) is actually surprisingly low, shoot I started playing seriously last August and can do ~80% of general tech almost perfectly (can't edge tech at all -_-).

It's more of things like reads and timing. Knowledge of matchups too. People like Mango aren't AMAZINGLY technical but can do whatever it takes to win, be that a perfectly timed ledgehop dair spike with Falco or minute long edgeguard with Peach for the win.

:phone:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ok REALLY serious however ******** question here. How do you technically meteor cancel? I seriously can't get it, even when getting spiked by meteors at like 0%. it's sad, someone help plox :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To physically meteor cancel, you simply press upb or jump any time after hitlag ends. Whenever you press upb, a timer is activated so that you cannot meteor cancel for 60 frames. If you try to meteor cancel early, you will fail and be unable to do it again before you die (in most cases). The 60 frame timer is activated every time you upb, even the initial one you use to recover. Because of that, marth has a very hard time meteor canceling and fox has a very easy time.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Well i'm assuming that you can't start a fair during your float and land any time during the animation and have zero lag. I meant when during the aerial do you have to land to have no lag when coming out of a float.

Top Bottom