• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Probably just use one of those disc buffing machines, some game stores and pawn shops have them and will clean a disc for cheap.

:phone:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
if u dont want to pay just look up online how to clean discs with toothpaste, u have to do a really good job tho

S l o X

Smash Champion
Link to Mango 2v1ing two puffs on FD (Mango being Fox) and winning.

I think they were two well known Puffs. Probably like Idea and Mahone or something.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
if u dont want to pay just look up online how to clean discs with toothpaste, u have to do a really good job tho

I know you can clean your disc with toothpaste, but I would recommend something else lol. While it works for most people, I have heard of some people it messing up their disc.

Bones0

Smash Legend
remind me again what fox goes for d-throws on people
Cactuar /namesearchabuse

Which attack(s) has the longest or biggest hitbox?
Either Pikachu's or Pichu's Thunder is the biggest hitbox (area-wise) that I can think of.

Honorable mentions: Ness's PK Flash, IC's Blizzard (goes on both sides, remember), DK's down-B, Kirby's side-B, G&W's bucket (when filled, obviously)

Mewtwo's Shadowball is the longest lasting hitbox because it can be held indefinitely. I believe Bowser's flame can be too, but idk if it actually has a hitbox once it gets past a certain point.

Honorable mentions: Peach's Parasol, Peach's turnips/Mr. Saturn/Beam Sword, Link/YL's bombs (drop one after doing that super jump thing; not sure about arrows) Ness's PK Thunder, Yoshi's side-B, Jiggs's neutral-B, Kirby's up-B, IC's up-B, IC's Ice Block, Pikachu/Pichu's Thunderbolt, Mario's fireballs, Doc's pills, Fox/Falco's laser, Samus's charge shot, G&W's sausage, Ness's dsmash, Yoshi's/Bowser's/Kirby's down-B (if you're really high)

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
can someonebody Other than Sveet (because he attends a University I ****ing hate) please tell me the definition of 0death, I've been playing Melee for a long time and I always ignored this term, now I'm studying up to get better.

Kari55

Smash Rookie
How do you know if you're L-canceling right? I'm trying to practice and I either land in my shield or I roll in some direction (even though I'm seriously not trying to). So I was wondering how do you avoid that and also how to get L-canceling down in general...

Bing

Smash Master
The amount of lag that from your attack will be less if you're l-cancelling properly. So basically in most cases if you miss the l-cancel you'll be stuck in the attack on the ground for a few seconds, if you got the cancel, you can just keep running or whatever(In most cases, aka Link's dair is a prime one)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Press R/L/Z slightly before you land. That should stop you from rolling...or don't hold it if your pressing it down too long. Also, what bing said...try going into training mode so you can slow it down. That way you can notice the difference between moves that aren't like Link's dair and get a feel for the timing. Then speed it up.

Edit: Where's that starter guide with all the smash lingo explanations like JV, CC, DI, nipple spike, etc. I tried looking for it in the Everything thread but coudln't find it, someone should link viper to that so he can get the abbreviations down.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
How do you know if you're L-canceling right? I'm trying to practice and I either land in my shield or I roll in some direction (even though I'm seriously not trying to). So I was wondering how do you avoid that and also how to get L-canceling down in general...
This happened to me for a long while, you're pressing L too late and holding it too long. You need to press L in a six frame window before you hit the ground. I had the easiest time telling when I was doing it with Ganon, as the difference is very noticeable between L-cancelled and not L-cancelled. L-cancelling was probably the hardest AT for me to get, just make a conscious effort to always be doing it and it'll eventually fall into place.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Make sure you only press L lightly (like for light shield). If you press it all the way in, you are just doing extra work with your finger, plus it also messes up your ability to tech. It's something that probably won't matter 'til later, but it's best to start the good habits now, obviously. The best way to tell if you're L-cancelling properly is to just immerse yourself in your character's aerials so that you're REALLY familiar with all of them. Once you have done an aerial both L-cancelled and not L-cancelled, it starts to become pretty obvious.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Yo, what's that one doubles video where the luigi fairs the other team(a Marth and Falco) off of Final Destination, then his teammate Falcon double jumps off and pauwnches them for the edgeguard?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Chibo has that video but his old youtube account got shut down so now it resides in Scar's combo vid and my combo vid. The opponents were Sensei and Zanguzen

Steelia

Smash Champion
...IS wavedashing a "glitch"? It's an exploit of the game's physics, but was it intentionally implemented? I swear I heard someone say that Sakurai posted somewhere about it being legit, but my sources fail me.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
by definition it is neither a glitch nor a bug. The concept of sliding on the ground after airdodging was an intentional design choice (airdodging into the ground had to do something after all). I have heard that in pre-release tests some testers could wavedash and since it wasn't changed i assume it was deemed fine. In any case, it is not a glitch nor a bug.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you missed your tech, you have stand in place (press up), roll left (press left) roll right (press right) or getup attack (press A). You have different getup attacks depending on if you're laying on your front or back.

You can also tech by pressing L or R within a 20 frame window before you hit the ground. This adds three more options, techroll left, tech in place, and techroll right. These are much quicker than any of the other options, so it's vital to implement teching into your gameplay. It's really easy too.

InfiniteHolograms

Smash Rookie
So if I don't tech, then I'm pretty much gonna get chased and grabbed, and if i do tech, there's still a decent chance I'll get tech chased. At least 20 frames is like having enough time to eat a sandwich.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much, yes. It's not like other fighting games where being on the ground sets up a game of rock-paper-scissors. The only other thing is that if you miss a tech and the Sheik tries to jab reset, you can SDI the jab up to escape. But that won't accomplish much if they go for a usmash instead of a jab :p

Lovage

Smash Hero
So if I don't tech, then I'm pretty much gonna get chased and grabbed, and if i do tech, there's still a decent chance I'll get tech chased. At least 20 frames is like having enough time to eat a sandwich.
such a limited way to think of the game

there is a whole lot going on during a combo situation than just a "wakeup game" where you pick 1 direction to tech. platforms, edge-canceling your tumbles, smash DI, there is a LOT you can do to give your opponent a higher and higher chance of messing up their combo/or juking them on a tech chase.

p.s. 20 frames is a very very short time lol, even by melee standards

Mirgio

Smash Rookie
Is it better to use up on analog stick or X/Y buttons to jump/short jump? And is it the same for wavedashing? Or is it more personal preference?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
personal preference mostly, though if ur new and have nothing set, ive heard people recommend Y for jumps/wavedashing, especially if you plan on using fox/falco cuz it makes waveshining less of a hassle

lovage does everything with control stick though, so no matter which option you choose, you will still be able to do all the necessities

Lovage

Smash Hero
bottom line: personal preference, every feasible button combination and controller grip have been demonstrated and succeeded over melee's long history, you can literally do whatever you want

having gotten that out of the way, when choosing jump buttons there is actually some very small pros/cons.

i started out in like 2006 doing all my jumps with the stick (wavedashes have always been with Y) but over the years steadily switched to different strategies, the most important being using a button when i need to get maximum distance, using the stick when i need to do things very very fast (such as ledgehopping, certain really fast wavelands etc)

honestly there is never a reason to pin yourself down to one button, the game gives you three choices for a reason! (not really, like everything in melee, this was unintended but awesome)

you can use Y when you want to fling yourself across the level for a max-distance short hop

then you can use the stick when you want to quickly double jump back air someone

if you think about each action individually, you can even figure out what's probably the best/most efficient button combo to use for the situation. then u are dashizwiz.

Mirgio

Smash Rookie
lol ok thanks, I've been using the stick for everything but my friend said it's better to use Y button, but now that i know its personal preference i think i'll stick with the stick ( but i might use Y for wavedashing)

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yeah learning wavedashing with the stick seems like a pain. I still can't really do it well, and I wavedash perfectly and consistently with Y

:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
i've met a handful of ppl who wavedash with the stick (rock crock, qdvs and remen come to mind) but it's honestly a lot lot harder than just learning to do it with a button.

this is a case where i'd advise someone: don't use the stick lol, just use the button for this it's way easier

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
p.s. 20 frames is a very very short time lol, even by melee standards
Uh, not that I have much experience or anything, (because I don't,) but I'm inclined to disagree with you there.

20 frames is a third of a second (assuming the game is managing to run consistently at 60 FPS), which is lot compared to some other frame windows. For instance, the window for powershielding and reflecting a projectile is some 2-4 frames (I've heard various numbers), and the window to L-cancel an attack is apparently 7 frames.

So, relatively speaking, 20 frames sounds like a lot.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
While 20 frames by itself is a fair bit, you have to keep in mind that teching is in reaction to being hit which will take a moment for you to process and react to, especially if it catches you off guard. So while twenty frames sounds like eternity in a vacuum, it's a pretty small window in reality.

Top Bottom