• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I always wondered: How comes the Pokemon Stadium in Melee is a counterpick?
The default mode of the stage is neutral. The transformations are not. Almost all the transformations give Fox the advantage thanks to various walls he can endlessly shine you against. Large obstacles also allow him to camp well.

Combine these factors with a low ceiling and you have an unfavorable stage for anyone not Fox.

Falco does pretty well on it too.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I actually like the stage with marth against anyone other than fox. In the neutral, its actually pretty good for marth because there is no top platform, low side platforms and a really big gap. In the transformations marth does fairly well too since his moves go through all the walls and it gives him unique ways to move around.

But yeah, its not neutral because plank said it wasn't when he ran a tournament called "pound 4"

CrazyHerron

Smash Rookie
Has anyone else noticed you can up-smash right out of a dash? Maybe everyone knows that. It's just i was messing around with ikachu and I had read his dash attack wasn't good and that it'd be better to do a "shuffled varial". So i ended up doing his Up-smash by accident. So what I'm asking is... Has anyone else known about this?

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
Okay I'm somebody that's dedicated to becoming good.

So far I'm following the Advanced techniques 1 youtube video and practicing wavedashing, l-cancelling, and shffl.

I'm using the L button to wavedash and the L button to l-cancel.

Is there any setbacks in the future just using L in pro level play?

I'm using the L button to wavedash and the L button to l-cancel.

Is there any setbacks in the future just using L in pro level play?
Using L moves your left hand a bit and makes controlling the analog stick a bit difficult for most people, I've heard. Dunno about pro level part.

Geist

Smash Master
Naw, some people only use a single button just fine.
WDing out of your shield might be the only thing that could give you trouble. It's not that hard to just do your wavedashing motion while lightly pressing R though.
If you're concerned about it, and you feel awkward, you can get more button ambidexterity by practicing WDing by pressing both buttons at the same time.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its significantly easier to do it with two buttons. For fox, you have a 3 frame window to let go of L/R and then press it down again (jump, release, press). If you use two buttons its a 13 frame window before releasing both L/Rs (unless u wanna shield again)

john!

Smash Hero
i've never had problems using just the L button, even WD OOS with fox goes well

that's just my personal experience though, your results may vary (you're talking to a guy who waveshines with the control stick >_>)

SKidd

Smash Master
Is there a thread that covers all there is to do with the black hole glitch?

If so, I would like to be linked to it.

Pi

Smash Hero
i play samus who has the same jump speed as fox
i use r to shield & wavedash
i used L in the past
but then i changed how i held the controller
and it became more convenient to use R
i notice no difference in speed because most of the time I'm doing it out of shieldhitstun
so I've let go of the shield button during that time and just wavedash

Geist

Smash Master
I'm too lazy/impatient and melee is unavailable.
Someone explain to me how Pikachu's tail spike properties work please?

Is the trajectory decided by the area you hit with, or the timing, or what :l

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
Its significantly easier to do it with two buttons. For fox, you have a 3 frame window to let go of L/R and then press it down again (jump, release, press). If you use two buttons its a 13 frame window before releasing both L/Rs (unless u wanna shield again)
explain that again, wheres the extra 10 come from

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
10 frames from the airdodge hitting ground animation (all wavedashes have 10 frames of lag)

if u use two buttons, you can hold the shield button down while you airdodge with the other and you don't have to release either one until the end of the wavedash lag.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm having a load of trouble waveshining, Falco and Fox both. Help anyone?

Also, moonwalking, almost everytime I try, I dash dance. Am I movinh the control stick too fast?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
if you cant waveshine, then focus on that, dont worry about moonwalking yet.

waveshining is literally just practice, if you know how to do it (which it sems that you do).

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I can do both, I'm just slower on wavshining.
Moonwalking for me takes cocentration midgame, so I don't really go for it much in a serious match. I was just wondering how to blend in waveshining.

I've seen Reflector > Waveshine > Reflector > Waveshine > Grab > Fthrow to punish a shielding Fox.
It was all done in rapid succession, so I take it my hands are still a bit slow? (Is recovering from Brawl)

Lovage

Smash Hero
when practicing a complex motion like waveshining, start out very very slow, focusing on each of the actions individually. as you get more comfortable with the slow easy timing, it will be more natural for your hands to perform it faster without messing up. once you get tons of practice you'll find it's really easy (doesn't mean you won't mess up from time to time)

remember that the timing will be different for a waveshine in practice and a waveshine that actually hits someone, due to the hitlag of the shine slowing you down. so make sure to practice on CPUs a lot.

G

genkaku

Can you buffer shield grabs?
Actually, better question: What actions can you buffer?

X1-12

Smash Champion
does anyone know if you can non-JC shine out of a moonwalk, or does it still count as your initial dash
Most of the moonwalk is your initial dash, I believe when you start slowing down, that is when you are out of initial dash.

Can you buffer shield grabs?
Actually, better question: What actions can you buffer?
not grabs

Shield
Lightshield
Rolls
Jump out of shield
Spotdodge
Jump out of hitstun
technically shield release I guess?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i think i just realized exactly why moonwalking works. I just had a flashback to MLG Chicago, with Eddie sitting on a TV with a couple other guys just talking and having a good time. I happened to walk by as he was showing them how to keep your run animation but change the run speed (its just simple joystick stuff). Fast forward to now, I realized that moonwalking is just an extension of that. As long as you don't go back through the middle, the dash animation won't cancel, and after that it is just the coding for how much distance you move depending on your joystick location.

Geist

Smash Master
That's a pretty good explanation Sveet. I've known about changing running speed but I never made the connection.

So does anyone know how the properties of Pika's tail spike work?
I can't figure out if the hitboxes change depending on the different parts of pika's tail, the timing of uair, or what

X1-12

Smash Champion
ask the pika boards for clarification, but I'm pretty sure it depends purely on which part of the tail you hit with. I can't say more than that

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Theres four different hitboxes that come out, two of them spike. I don't remember which ones they are though, my convo with N64 is on my other computer :<

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
Here's a history question:

Does "Thunder's combo" refer to just fox's waveshine-> jab or jab resets in general? I always thought the former but noticed it being used more generally recently.

thanks

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Here's a history question:

Does "Thunder's combo" refer to just fox's waveshine-> jab or jab resets in general? I always thought the former but noticed it being used more generally recently.

thanks
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81139

Here's the structure of the combo:

You must start the combo with a shine or anything that combos into shine and can lead into this after the shine, such as drill, nuetral aerial etc. It only works on certain characters who fall from shine For this thread, it's basically info on initiation on Fox and Falco) or characters that don't fall from shine but DIed so they do fall from shine. Some characters go further than others, Imyself am not exactly how sure, just look at Foxandfalco's shine guide, it might be in there, if not, look in any other guides on Fox, or the statistics list made by Mew2King. After shining them, WD out of shine (waveshine) then immediately jab them while they're on the ground. If you jab successfully, they should be unable to move and are forced to stand up in place, but if they are holding a direction, they wil roll that direction out of the initial combo, but I think they can't do that until a certain percentage, but It's not a very high one. They can also do a get-up attack if they are pressing a button that triggers that.. As they are getting up (Don't wait for them too though, at least not in the intitial combo) immediately do a falling shffld uair on top of them, this should pop them up behind you if they didn't DI It. This is when you usmash them from wherever they may be. If you performed this on a Fox/Falco from 0-Whatever % they're at now, you should be able to dash and catch them before they hit the ground with a grab, and then chain throw till you can't and do whatever from there, but the grab addition isn't part of the initial combo, just one of the many other ways of doing this combo and working different methods in, which I will explain later. There are several different ways to get out of this, but don't expect people who have never seen this to get out of it on purpose. You can hold down and tech the uair at low percentages, or smash DI and tech it at any percentage. I beleive they can DI the uair to far for you to reach, but only in one direction. Like I said before, they can hold left or right before the jab to roll that way. There are a few ways of getting out of it, but once you try it, you'll see how great it is. There are many ways of starting it and following it up, it's too good.
Basically: Aerial>shine>jab>falling uair>usmash="Thunders' Combo"

tl;dr TECHNICALLY Thunders' combo refers to shine->jab->falling uair->usmash, but everyone really refers to any shine->jab as a thunders' combo.

Andy Mac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4167-4587-5358
I have a few questions.

1) What is hitlag?
2) And how does an attack that hits an opponent compare to an attack that does not.
3) How do you know how many frames of shield stun an attack causes?
4) Is the length of shield stun proportional to the damage that the attack does?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I have a few questions.

1) What is hitlag?
2) And how does an attack that hits an opponent compare to an attack that does not.
3) How do you know how many frames of shield stun an attack causes?
4) Is the length of shield stun proportional to the damage that the attack does?
hitlag is the consequence of multiple frames of hit detection (probably a more accurate way to word that but essentially it will be the same thing in layman's terms) that normally don't occur when you would shuffle an aerial or attack otherwise. IIRC, hitlag and shieldlag are equal, meaning the shuffle timing for hitting a shield or a person is the same, while missing has different timing. this is the only way attacks differ, to my knowledge. what else do you mean by the comparison of the two? there is shield stun data somewhere, but it is not directly proportional to the damage of an attack. for instance, i am pretty sure luigi's nair gives more shield stun than his up+b. it is a pretty good rule of thumb, though: obviously volcano kick or falcon punch have more shield stun than a samus ftilt or a young link dash attack.

if any part of that is wrong, someone please correct me :D

Pi

Smash Hero
Hitlag is/are the frames where your character is 'stuck' in the taking damage animation, or the frames you are stuck in when you hit something with an attack.

So let's say you get hit by samus' fully charged shot
Upon being hit, you are stuck in w/e position for 18 frames
afterwhich you are launched

Now, let's say you use marth's Fsmash on some of shieks needles
Upon hitting the needles, you are 'stuck' in the Fsmash animation for X amount of frames longer than you would be if it had hit nothing.

so basically when a hitbox hits another hitbox, or hurtbox, and does not clank, hitlag frames are involved.

If you miss an attack entirely, there are no hitlag frames. So the timing between the start of the attack, and when you can perform another action is different.

SDM's website
found here: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/awesomearchive.html
SDM's Frame Data more specifically
has a lot of data on shieldhitstun

Vanitas

Smash Ace
I ve been looking for a while now, but where is the video where Taj screams out "DO IT NOW GOHAN!" i saw it on livestream and was definitely going to watch it again lol

Top Bottom