• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
New to the SmashWorld, but i know most of the basics, I just really wanted to know for getting "better" purposes, how many frames do you have to L-cancel attacks or is every attack different? Also, how many frames do I have to power sheild?

Pi

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it's 4 frames before you land, or the frame you land, for L canceling

And to Powershield a projectile, a fully pressed shield will reflect for 2 frames
For melee attacks it's 4 frames

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I have heard some people say seven frames for the L-cancel, andthankyou for answering. I didnt even know you could power sheild a melee attack. That sounds pretty vital now that i know about it. Im trying to power sheild projectlies on command so i can fend off those pesky spacies and maybe a couple of ranom samus. I feel as if i eat way to much percent when trying to get in on those three chars.

Pi

Smash Hero
it is really helpful vs. falco
vs. samus it can be as well, as there is pretty much no downside if you get consistent with it
but since her projectiles can be destroyed often times that's a safer more reliable option

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Yea i play against my buddy Ryu's falco, and it destroys my sheik. Mainly through quick percentage from pew pew lazers then easy high percent combos. Im sure the power sheilding will come with time and practice

X1-12

Smash Champion
Yea i play against my buddy Ryu's falco, and it destroys my sheik. Mainly through quick percentage from pew pew lazers then easy high percent combos. Im sure the power sheilding will come with time and practice
crouch and/or platform camp

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Are you saying sheik can duck under lazers orrr like powersheild while crouching/platform camping?

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
Are you saying sheik can duck under lazers orrr like powersheild while crouching/platform camping?
If he is shooting his SHL high, you can crouch under them. I am not 100% positive, but sheik may be able to dash under poorly aimed SHL too. If he adjusts and aims them lower you can go to the platforms.

X1-12

Smash Champion
crouching under them works, its much harder for the falco's lasers to hit you. camping on a platform also makes it harder for them to shoot you + you can gather needles/throw them to stop them getting on your level.

You should check out the sheik boards, there are probably some good guides + match-up tips there. Here's the link

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Yea i have some information coming in from the Sheik boards as well, information about powersheilding and Lcanceling turned into this haha but i never thought of camping on plats for falco matchups, thats good, thanks

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure if your being funny and just posting a vid about dodging bullets related to lazers or your actually telling me in a very witty and intelligent way that when i get good with sheik i wont have to duck and camp plats haha

Pi

Smash Hero
Great
Now I have to go watch The Matrix
Let's hope my OCD doesn't implore me to watch the whole trilogy
(I probably don't have OCD)

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I actually watched one of them last night because of the post, haha. Just the mere fact of the Reply's existance makes you want to watch atleast one.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I've got a question of semantics: Mewtwo can use his dtilt a few times in a row on many characters at 0%. When Mewtwo uses these dtilts until the opponent can either DI/jump/attack out of these successive hits is the series of attacks called a combo or spam?

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I realize it's not a very good combo, but it was the first single move that can be used in succession that creates a lock. I suppose a better example would be Peach's dair > dair > dair in Brawl. It was the terminology that I was concerned with.

If it were to be classified as one more so than the other, which would it generally be considered? I always considered it was a combo because the opponent was being juggled in hitstun, and the move is only used 2-4 times in a row. So it wouldn't be considered spamming (as opposed to a character using a move for a long period of time or very recurrently).

Pi

Smash Hero
@marth

Both would be be acceptable descriptions.

It is a combo, because it's in hitstun
But also it is spam, because it's spamming the same move

But spam doesn't always have a negative connotation any more

I spose since the move landed, you would call it a combo moreso than spam
But if it were to be used on someones shield as shield pressure
I would say it's spam more than shield pressure

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
@marth

Both would be be acceptable descriptions.

It is a combo, because it's in hitstun
But also it is spam, because it's spamming the same move

But spam doesn't always have a negative connotation any more

I spose since the move landed, you would call it a combo moreso than spam
But if it were to be used on someones shield as shield pressure
I would say it's spam more than shield pressure
That's what I was looking for. Sorry for the confusion; thanks guys.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
if so that would be completely reasonable and i should have thought about it, but just for testing purposes im going to type some completely false statement such as bowser is the best character in the game and should be considered for top tier

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Yea i duno if thats just it for the fact that i edited my signature to be much shorter and it still doesnt display, someone has got to research this

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Shield platform drops... I keep spot dodging. Am I pressing down forward too fast or slow or what?
My platform game is really sloppy, trying to step it up.

Edit:
My inputs are
Dash forward
Shield
Roll controlstick from forward to down forward

COOPER

Smash Apprentice
Controller Question:

Has anyone ever heard/had problems with their gamecube controller shutting down their gamecube/wii? It's as if I unplug the power cord the exact moment I plug in my controller. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, checked for any loose wiring or similar defects and nothing. It shuts off the console every time. I miss my controller... :(

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried the simple resetting of the controller? then again if you say it shuts it down instantaniously that will be quit hard...i've never heard of sucha thing

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i have seen that before. I forgot how the controller in question came around (i think someone bought it on their way there), but it was at a smashfest and as soon as they plugged it in it would shut down the wii/cube it was plugged into.

I figure its an internal wiring issue, and probably can't be fixed unless you actually understand how the internal wiring works.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I cant begin to comtemplate how an external controller can shut off a gamecube/wii, Sveet do you think its like short circuiting or something?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I don't understand how the wiring works, so I can't say anything for sure.

Its possible that theres actually a signal for "turn off" that the cube can accept from the controller (but was never implemented into an actual controller) and somehow your controller is sending that.

But yes, more than likely there is a short circuit that is attempting to draw a LOT of power to something (like your hand) but luckily modern electronics have failsafes so the cube just shuts off instead of something bad happening.

If the circuit wasn't complete, the cube would probably not turn off and would just not recognize the controller. I've seen controllers that fall into that category as well.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Controller Question:

Has anyone ever heard/had problems with their gamecube controller shutting down their gamecube/wii? It's as if I unplug the power cord the exact moment I plug in my controller. I've taken it apart, cleaned it, checked for any loose wiring or similar defects and nothing. It shuts off the console every time. I miss my controller... :(

so i guess the only solution is to start breaking in a new controller or finding someone to disect yours =/

mers

Smash Ace
Controller Question:

If the controllers draw too much power, they shut down the Cube/Wii. If you use too many of those cord extension things, it is almost guaranteed to happen. Your controller must be broken in some way that draws too much power.

Try not using extensions (if you are), and plugging in less controllers total. If that doesn't help, get a new controller.

Top Bottom