• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
im also under the impression hiding a shield and a person have different amounts of hit lag.

thats why spamming stars is good to learn shield pressure. being invincible from it has the same stun as hitting a shield.

Pi

Smash Hero
Well I just tested links jab & fsmash hitlag both hitting mario with and without shield
and they were the same hitlag
4 frames for jab
7 frames for fsmash (first hit)

G

genkaku

I'm trying to get L canceling internalized as well. I've been playing a lv 1 Ganon (9 handicap) as Falco (1 hadicap) at .5 damage ratio.
Yes or no?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Well I just tested links jab & fsmash hitlag both hitting mario with and without shield
and they were the same hitlag
4 frames for jab
7 frames for fsmash (first hit)
try aerials. ive only heard this star power thing when practicing shield pressure. in reference to falco fox°

the timing changes so you land at different times so l canceling is different.

I don't know from testing thats just what people have been saying.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
sure you're not thinking shield hit stun?
I haven't played in weeks, and I have no setup right now to test this, but I remember the L-cancel timing for Fox's short hop dair on shield being slightly longer than short hop dair without shield.

It might depend on the individual properties of different moves.

Pi

Smash Hero
try aerials. ive only heard this star power thing when practicing shield pressure. in reference to falco fox°

the timing changes so you land at different times so l canceling is different.

I don't know from testing thats just what people have been saying.
i'll try aerials...sec...
6 frames of hitlag on fox's nair with and without shield

Kanelol

Smash Lord
what about with a starman

i'm not sure about the difference, it's just what everyone was saying in the Falco boards

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
LOL **** it then. well just say the MU is 50-50
What?

And I have no surefire way of backing this up but I feel that from practice, there is more hitlag on jigg's bair on shield than on an actual connected hit. Prob just a couple frames but I definitely feel a difference.

BTW, how do you check the number of frames by yourself at home???

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hello!

I've recently tried Melee with Dolphin and I was wondering how to play online.

I know it won't work, it will ds and so on, but I just wanted to give it a try.

Anyone knows how to do?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
What?

And I have no surefire way of backing this up but I feel that from practice, there is more hitlag on jigg's bair on shield than on an actual connected hit. Prob just a couple frames but I definitely feel a difference.

Action Replay.

Pi

Smash Hero
What?

stratocaster sent the people working on the hitbox thing the stuff needed for it, which included dolphin with debug menu, melee iso. So from there you can go frame by frame mode

Pi

Smash Hero
Is nobody answering because I'm talking about online fake smash? :(

Or nobody knows?
It never got really popular, so many people don't know.
Me included, there was a thread created about it, but it got closed for breaking some rule or another idk.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I see...

Too bad, I would have like to try this out... Maybe I could have got a 3-stock match without ds :laugh:

I guess I will have to search somewhere else.

Thanks for answering though!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
pretty much. also, dont forget you can always mutli-hit your favorite trigger and still l-cancel. its teching that doesn't allow multis

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
pretty much. also, dont forget you can always mutli-hit your favorite trigger and still l-cancel. its teching that doesn't allow multis
you can l cancel with a light press. you can only power shield and tech with a full press.

so if you multi tap lightly there is no over lap with teching.

scoobford

Smash Rookie
I've been on melee for EVER, but just started getting into high level and competitive. any recommendations on how to relearn old tactic I messed up or getting timing for L cancelling or wavedashing

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I've been on melee for EVER, but just started getting into high level and competitive. any recommendations on how to relearn old tactic I messed up or getting timing for L cancelling or wavedashing
There are some videos and guides to l-canceling and wavedashing, you can also just test them out yourself. Try l-canceling with bowser, and wavedashing with luigi. Once you get those down, move onto the other characters.

G

genkaku

I'm having to learn the timing for L canceling with most moves individually. Is it supposed to work like that? Perhaps because it's still not entirely second nature...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have a hard time using characters with zairs. I don't use A to aerial at all. so I often zair without thinking.
I have a similar problem, except i only use A, but i continue holding shield when I do a fast aerial out of shield. When nairing OoS with YL, sometimes i do a random grapple (because im holding L and pressing A).

Pi

Smash Hero
sh nair OoS is hard for me for that reason
i've got it down pretty well now...
but even seeing some other players mess up i know exactly what they are trying to do when they zair OoS lol

n1000

Smash Journeyman
Can you buffer short hops? Like holding the cstick halfway up? I don't have a cube to test right now

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To answer your question, yes, you can buffer your jump animation out of shield by holding c-up, but you have to release the c-up by halfway through your jump animation, same as with any other short hop.

Pi

Smash Hero
i think that's pretty much consistent with all aerials and ground moves (aside from projectiles)
but a deeper explanation is always welcome

mers

Smash Ace
i think that's pretty much consistent with all aerials and ground moves (aside from projectiles)
but a deeper explanation is always welcome
I don't think so. All aerials and ground A moves act like the grounded shine. Armada and Aniolas's "Wombo Combo" and the not-quite-Wombo Combo that SS and Tang had on Corneria illustrate that very well.

The only moves that I know of for sure that allow any momentum from a previous attack to carry over are Fox and Falco's aerial shines (and Fox's lasers, but they don't count). I'd be interested to know about other aerial B moves (like Doc/Mario's capes, etc).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
im pretty sure marth's neutral b has this property and potentially his sideb too. haven't tested it but i'm confident I observed this with his neutral B yesterday.

torres6161

Smash Rookie
hey whats up samsh world im new to this board and actully signed up like 2 min ago :) but i have a question? how can i find tournments in my area? im a decent player not the best but i think it would be fun to try! i appreciate the help guys :)

Top Bottom