• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Geist

Smash Master
Geist: This is me just being picky but I found a few things to point out.

-Feet seem too different in design from the main body. While the body's all curved, while the legs are blocky and square.
-Kind of iffy about the arms being held up by a ball joint. Kind of looks like whatever system in there shouldn't be able to be lift the weight of the arm.
-Something I'm wondering is why the joints on the elbow are exposed while there's a plate just above it protecting... the shoulder?

I really do like the way the body is made though. Nothing really seems out of place there and those holes on the bottom make me wonder what they're there for.

Do you have a backside view of that model?
Yeah, you pretty much pointed out mostly everything I feel is wrong with it to the point.

The feet weren't completed until an hour before the assignment was due, so they were more or less slap-dashed together, hence their simplistic form.

The arm joint is held together by other attachments, it doesn't look like it because of the limited angle. As it turns out, attaching the arms and legs to the main body was also done during the crunch to get it finished.

The shoulder plating is a cheat - it was placed there to hide the ugliness of the unfinished joint, hence why the geometry is actually crashing with the shoulder.

The holes at the bottom were indirectly inspired by exhaust vents from a fighter jet lol

Unfortunately I never got the chance to add wires and conduits or bolts to the majority of the body like I originally planned because of time constraints :[

And I do have a back view of it, but I don't have it handy because I have crappy organizational skills. I could post it later if you're interested in seeing it.

Thanks a lot for the feedback btw, it's good to know that my cheap fixes aren't totally invisible lol.

Alright, here's 2 things I'd like some critique on. I know that I still need to work on the grey area of the wheels on the Lucariocyclist, but other than I don't really have a clue.

Looking good, aside from a few minor technical quirks. You should put some sort of shine on the rims of lucario's motorcycle (like you said). They look really flat and non-metallic without any highlights, etc.
This is a personal bias, but when designing things I tend to stay far away from absolute blacks. They tend to bleed with other dark areas because they blend in right in with the outlines around them, especially in smaller images like these. I'd stick with a darker grey, at least something that allow the lines to be seen. Plus, having black as the darkest point for every value on the piece is uninteresting.

The second one is pretty cute, and the black isn't as much of a sin on this one, but it did take me a second to figure out that his tail was in the bottom right of the canvas. I think this is because the white section of his tail actually leads into the circular shape of the cake at the bottom. If you made a small curve upwards with the very tip of his tail it would help create a stronger silhouette for the dragon and make it more clear what everything is.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'd have to agree with Bren. True black is really tricky to use. A gray would suit it much better.

I love all the little details in the dragon picture ^ o^ It's so cute
Those cakes. I wanna eat them!

Kuares

Pizza
Alright, for the Lucario I'll switch that black to gray and see how that turns out.

As for the dragon, I can't really change to much because I'm making that into a gif animation. 19 more frames to do and I'll be done. Luckily the tail is in the non animated area, so I can fix it.

I love all the little details in the dragon picture ^ o^ It's so cute
Those cakes. I wanna eat them!
Ha, don't forget about those cookies and that box of doughnuts.

Thanks for the critique, I'll probably stop by and ask about my drawings later. Or I should just stay here and be all sociable, too bad that social thread closed...

Geist

Smash Master

Self portrait :D

I don't like color at all. And color doesn't like me.
So I used photo reference for the color range palette and then modified them afterwards with hue/saturation masks. Someone said I look like Nathan Drake from Uncharted but I told them that they were most likely feeling the post effects from taking drugs

Or I should just stay here and be all sociable
Yeah do this

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

Self portrait :D

I don't like color at all. And color doesn't like me.
So I used photo reference for the color range palette and then modified them afterwards with hue/saturation masks. Someone said I look like Nathan Drake from Uncharted but I told them that they were most likely feeling the post effects from taking drugs

Yeah do this
It's pretty good imo.

You kinda look like the guy from Iron Giant.

Also, I'm doing color theory practice and I want some critiques on the background.

Geist

Smash Master
You look like my father, Geist.
Well done.
Best feedback
Your father is a good looking guy Wretched

It's pretty good imo.

You kinda look like the guy from Iron Giant.

lol, that's a new one

Acid's a hell of a drug dib

Also, I'm doing color theory practice and I want some critiques on the background.

Well you got a good color scheme going on there.

It looks to me like you had a gradient with a few color transitions and put it on a bit of an angle, which isn't a BAD thing, but you might want to take it a bit further and throw in some asymmetry in the mix. Maybe make it a bit more wavy or chaotic, or a subtle cloudy effect I dunno. Just some suggestions.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Well you got a good color scheme going on there.

It looks to me like you had a gradient with a few color transitions and put it on a bit of an angle, which isn't a BAD thing, but you might want to take it a bit further and throw in some asymmetry in the mix. Maybe make it a bit more wavy or chaotic, or a subtle cloudy effect I dunno. Just some suggestions.
Well, I was looking to what I had just learned about CT and just went from there. The gradient is actually me mixing orange and purple with the "Smudge" tool. It does look rather natural now that I look at it.

Any other colors to throw in? I was looking throw in a red. But it overpowered it...

I'll look to making it more asymmetrical.

Geist

Smash Master
Well haunter is pretty desaturated color-wise, so a color as vivid as red won't work unless the rest of the background is already equally as vivid.
It's kinda limiting what you can do with such a small image tbh. Desaturated browns of pretty much any color will do, except maybe more greenish or yellow hues. But most of them will clash with the color scheme you're going with right now anyways.

Also good job making a natural gradient. Though now after looking harder at it I can see some sort of seam near the upper left corner of the bg, right above his left hand. No idea why it's there though.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
-flips all the tables- DANGIT BREN.
You're too good at this.
There needs to be an Art Institutes visiting program set up so I could visit and then rage and then watch the process and steal your art secrets.

Geist

Smash Master
-flips all the tables- DANGIT BREN.
You're too good at this.
There needs to be an Art Institutes visiting program set up so I could visit and then rage and then watch the process and steal your art secrets.
C:
I'll never tell my secrets
join me on skype when I share my desktop as I draw. Like the one time Neous tried to conference call you. That's what that wasssssssss :V

Bren your lines are always... perfect. What tablet do you use?
lol thanks. I use this crappy bamboo pen small and sometimes an intuos4 m when I'm at school because the equipment room has them in the hundreds.
I try to get my lines down as accurately as possible with a single stroke using my shoulder for control instead of my wrist.
Also practice lol

So I took your advice and added some wavy-ness to it. I made an animation, something I've never done before. I haven't quite figured out how to make it so that Haunter doesn't flicker...>__>;

Sweet, make sure you make the liquifying effect seamless as well, gif's are irritating when they jump.
Try asking Kuares about that problem, he just posted a few gifs, so I assume he can help your problem.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lol I woulda answered, but I was sitting with my friend, discussing cathedrals and talking about concept art and digital painting.
Shoulda watched, looking back at it. My friend would have probably enjoyed the majestic arts : o

Kuares

Pizza
Will do. Mind you, this is my first one. Hopefully I pick up on this quickly.
Depending on the program you're using it's easier/harder to do.

Basically you want to flatten the image of haunter onto every one of the gradient background frames. It takes a while but that's animation for you.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In photoshop, you could just make the Haunter the top layer and have it on for all frames.

Photoshop is iffy because there are times it works in two clicks, and then there are times that making the Haunter layers as I said to do would make all layers visible and would have to go frame by frame fixing the mistake.

I haven't had happy experience with animation, however small it may have been.

Geist

Smash Master
To help save the AE from a horribly slow and painful death I'll be posting regular WIPs of a project I'm working on.
Of course, as per the thread's purpose, feel free to critique away and tell me what you do/don't like about it. It'll help in the long run for sure.

So this is the sketch what I'm in the process of painting right now. I'll post the next WIP when I have some basic color layers down.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
lkangknasklgnagna
So cool.
Loving the flow of the cloak. AND THAT SKULL. And those birdies! Daaang man!

I decided to get my lazy butt in gear too and do some drawing. Redesigned my namesake character <3 She was WELL overdue for a makeover, and now she looks stylin'...well...her hair and face do at least .___.;; still deciding what to do about her clothes

Comments, critiques, recommendations for clothes?

She's supposed to look and act in an unfeminine manner. Very sarcastic, very rough personality, but still cheery and whatnot.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
all i can find a bit off are the placements of the eyes and the highlights on the cheekbones

i feel like her left eye (the one on the right) should be closer to her nose and a bit higher on her face

otherwise very stylistic and expressive

Geist

Smash Master
lkangknasklgnagna
So cool.
Loving the flow of the cloak. AND THAT SKULL. And those birdies! Daaang man!

I decided to get my lazy butt in gear too and do some drawing. Redesigned my namesake character <3 She was WELL overdue for a makeover, and now she looks stylin'...well...her hair and face do at least .___.;; still deciding what to do about her clothes

Comments, critiques, recommendations for clothes?

She's supposed to look and act in an unfeminine manner. Very sarcastic, very rough personality, but still cheery and whatnot.
I'mma drop some cool character design bombs I've picked up from some of the pro's for ya but I'm gonna have to go all Simon up and down your drawing. Nothing you can't handle though ;D

When drawing a character's face, it's always ideal to have a specific expression that helps define who your character is. It's tricky to achieve this properly as you have to work around what your character's demeanor is and reflect that into their facial features, and later when you design their body, their posture, movement... generally their entire body language.

I'm getting this vibe from her nose and mouth. She has nice sharp features and a nice sly smile, but her eyes are rather expressionless, and in the end don't help reinforce this demeanor. I'm going to be emphasizing this a lot because I'm absolutely biased about the eyes of a character. Like I really think that they're 80% of what makes a face. And even though you have some cool design choices going on with them aesthetically, I'm just not feeling them. Keep in mind eyes are the hardest things to get right, and I'm really picky and hardcore when it comes to them.
So yeah. My best suggestion, a bottom eyelid-heavy squint, or raising one eyebrow up. It'll work wonders, trust me.

As for perpective/ anatomical hiccups, I made you a visual. :>
[collapse="The visual I made"]

[/collapse]
- Duckpimp was correct in what he said; her eye placement is a bit off. When you draw characters, flip the canvas every 5 minutes or so to make sure you're putting everything down right. If you flip your drawing as it is now, you can see her eye is doing a bit of drifting

- Dunno what that line is supposed to be under her left eyebrow lol
According to symmetry it isn't part of her eyebrow, and according to brow line/forehead structure it shouldn't be so sharp when connecting with her nose. Orange line shows proper flow from brow to nose bridge. Might just be better off without it entirely though, your call.

- cheeks influence eye shape, like the note says. Try to smile without moving your cheeks upwards. Spoilers: You can't. With that nice wide smile she has, her cheeks would be pushing up the bottoms of her eyelids and perhaps even overlapping them.

- A smaller problem, but still one you should look out for (because soooo many people do things like this) is the shading on her chin. You were going for the right idea, but placement of the dark area makes it look like the prominent part of her chin is off to the side instead of right in the middle of her face where it should be.

- Poor girl, she's missing the fleshy part underneath her chin entirely D:
Unless she lacks a tongue, that's going to have to be in there. Random tangent. It's funny because one of the life drawing teachers was lecturing a new kid who draws anime about that just yesterday, and his exact words were "well I draw anime so I don't need to know anatomy". Of course, I'm not saying you're like that at ALL (obviously), but it's just an funny coincidental anecdote. Moral of the story is: anatomy, or I shout death threats from across the life drawing room at you :3

- Another small issue, but ever notice how ancient greek busts end at the shoulders? There's a reason for this - it looks better lol. Without the shoulders I'm having a hard time telling if it's a side view and she's turning her head towards us, or if her neck is actually 50 feet long, or anything. Assume your audience is stupid and spoon feed them as much stuff as they need to know as possible. It's also worth noting that if this isn't a side view with her turning her head at us, then her neck is extremely broken and she is dead from a fractured spine
:[ nooooooo

- As the notes say, the ear is aligned horizontally with the eye. And considering her eye is a tad low, her ear is quite lower than it should be. Her far ear is fine and dandy however, even though I'm not so sure I should be able to see it. I'll give that one the benefit of the doubt for you though.

- Also I drew the general shape of the cheek for you. It's a bit triangular and recedes down to the end of the mouth, so if she smiles, it'll dimple a bit at the corners of her mouth.

- Oh, and uh, nitpicking, but the specular highlights on eyes usually aren't long and thin. more square or circular depending on light source. Just sayain. Like I said, I'm picky with my eyes.

KSO as for costume design, it really depends on where she fits into. Clothes should not only function as a reflection of the character's personality, but their back story as well. First break it down into a few simple questions (if you're anything like me you have an entire backstory worked out)
Think about things like:
1. Where does she live? Where does she come from?
Cultural design influences such as japanese embroidery, or lifestyle design influences (factors of money, occupation, etc) and of course, genre factors. Most important part.
2. Is she part of a group? Does this group have a unified outfit to help identify them?
Members of a group may have clothing that looks mass produced in nature, with little personalization. Then again, maybe this character stands out because of small personalizations of said outfit
3. What motivates her? What is her philosophical or moral direction?
Simple enough. Evil characters look evil, may it be subtle or not. Ruthless businessman wears a dark teuxedo with a black tie - shows motivation of business and symbolically shows evil-ness of the character.
4. Does she travel a lot?
Trinkets, odds and ends, travel gear, practical things if she does. More personal, perhaps less practical things if she doesn't.
5. What is her personality?
The abrasive character might have sharper shapes in their outfit, the dumb thug character could be themed with round shapes, etc. Not any solid rules of course, but it has to say something at least
6. What are her flaws? Strengths? Weaknesses?
An overly superstitious character might carry around good luck charms. A character who has a specific skill or trait, like, say, mountain climbing, might have a rope or grapple hook.

Whatever your choices, make sure your design fits a consistent aesthetic. Keep in repeating shapes and lines. But make sure it's not overdone - the above questions don't have to all be answered by any means, they're just example questions to help decide what you character should be wearing. Sometimes you might want just a really simplified character and not put any of that stuff in. If it works with your aesthetic, then it's better for it.
Using color to symbolically represent things can be nice too, but I don't think it's as direct, and therefore not as important as physical design choices. Sometimes it can hit subconscious assumptions about a character. When I draw, I tend to create characters that can be identified directly without color. Silhouettes should be your main priority with a costume. You should be able to see the character's shadow and be able to identify them.
At the same time though, I'm very visual with characters while they're in my head and add design elements with color in mind. For example with this character I made sure that her hair just looked auburn; her pants a light beige color. And as for that character I just posted, I tried to make it look like that cloak should be red. Strangely enough, people that I ask can identify the colors of my characters about 9 times out of 10. This is probably one of those things that works on more subconscious levels, because I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to describe how to do this.

So yeah huge post there for ya :D
Hope it helps, and I can't wait to see more of her sometime

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Thanks for all the help, Bren x3 Def taking all of this into account!!

Her outfit is still bugging me xP whatever. I'll figure it out. Eventually.

Also, the computer is basically fixed now, sans the stupid microphone.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I agree with much of what Geist is saying

To add onto that, as far as expression, remember the "smile lines" or creases that run from the corner of the nostril around the mouth edge when someone grins. It's tricky to do properly (or maybe that's just me lol) because you don't want to overdo it and make a young character look old, but I think it makes the smile more genuine.

Also another note is to remember, especially with light skinned characters that there is a variation in the skin color in different areas affected by blood, veins, etc. underneath. All of this depends on how much realism you want in a fantasy setting though since stylization does play a part.

Overall though I really like how you handle highlights (always have) and I'm envious of people like yourself who can develop their own style with such ease. :cool:

I can't offer much in terms of clothing ideas, but I can say that after coming back from spending various hours at shopping malls and designer clothing stores yesterday, I got a ton of new character costume ideas lol. So a trip to the mall or flipping through fashion magazines might be good to try if you want to incorporate more contemporary ideas. If she's unfeminine then maybe she wears loose/oversized clothes, neckties, I dunno. Looking forward to whatever you decide on though.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
The newest pictures are all so good ahh, everything I could offer has already been said.

Your OC in this picture reminds me a little of Alice in the twilight movies, Lokii. :D So impish

Purple

Hi guys!
About to dump some **** on you guys, much of it are sketches from the past two days, trying to get back into digital works and such, probably will draw something else by the end of the night..

pictures are large so links only.

http://i.imgur.com/JwjTI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YgWyy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WQGVp.jpg

I remember posting something and DISTINCTLY hearing that my drawing didn't looking real, it looked exactly how it was, a drawing; no depth to the skin, the face looks 2 dimension in contrast to three dimension. Only until a few hours ago do I truly understand what whoever said that meant.

So... advice? Still suck at necks, but that's just something i have to practice

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I think the simple anime style you have for the face makes it harder to make a 3D effect, but one thing I would suggest is making the far eye more squashed in 3/4-view heads. For example, in your 2nd picture, the eyes are nearly the same size which suggests only a small difference in angle from a front view, but the jawline, ear, and neck suggest a greater degree of turning. In that picture the far side of the face seems a little big in general which disagrees with the near half of the face.

Another reason it looks a little flat is because of the simple soft shading, which doesn't give much form to objects. I really like your lines though, I could imagine the picture from the neck-down being a panel in some comic o:

I suggest you look at some of the later chapters in the manga Eyeshield 21, Yusuke Murata draws sexy pictures.

Geist

Smash Master
Sup purple, long time no see lol

Pretty much what global said. I think your shading style isn't complementing your drawing style. Instead of shading so soft, try to go for hard lines. Hard lines will help you define the shape and form of your characters without adding extra details, which will complement your style better.
Also as global said, it's hard to get a true three dimensional feel with more cartoony type drawings because of the lack of details the drawings have. Sharper shadows as mentioned above will help alleviate some of this by giving more form, but I think the biggest way to give a third dimension to your drawings as they are right now would be to work on accurate proportions. For instance, some of your foreheads are too small and they lack the back cranium in 3/4's view.
Watch out and make sure you're placing the eyes roughly at the midway point between the chin and the top of the head too.

Neon Ness

I really want to get out of cartoony drawings... :'(
Lol I don't think you have to give up the cartoon style completely. It just might require doing some life studying for a while to understand how to really push that 3rd dimension in your drawings. How often do you practice drawing heads/necks? It might be good to fit in one dedicated life drawing per day for practice, maybe in the morning/before bed or something. Just go to a public area or practice on friends/family drawing facial proportions properly. I've found that forcing anatomy practice into a regular routine helps to stay more consistent in terms of improvement.

Honda, please don't post one liners

Geist

Smash Master
There's also a website that cycles through models doing poses at whatever timelength you designate, but it's much less effective for learning as real life model drawing is, plus i'm on my phone and I don't have the site address saved on it

:phone:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Bren, I'ma cut you
But not really
Cuz that's terrible and mean

And the website is Posemaniacs.com

Purple, Ima add you right now.

PS everyone should go on skype ASAP and hang out like awesome buddies of awesome.

Geist

Smash Master
naw it wasn't posemaniacs, it was something else I was thinking about. That's good too of course, great for anatomy studies. You should take an extended gander at that purple, it helps me a LOT.

I'd go on skype but I'm in class. I can go on afterwards in 3 hours or so.

Also my premium is almost expired.
HEY LETS HAVE ANOTHER AWYP

on topic: you guys get to see my modelling stuff in progress because I want a critique on it and also this place is comedically becoming the new AE social kindalikehowIpredictedbutIthinkitshouldstillstayontopicatleastalittlebitasdf

Neon Ness

This isn't the new AE social. As much as I hate to say it anything not related to helping others' artwork progress shouldn't be in here :/ Skype and all that other stuff can be discussed elsewhere/through PMs.

Top Bottom