• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Dan_X

Smash Lord
And on topic, I don't think Dan went far enough about orange names.
This stuff is really important you know.

You get to be in a council.
Thank you Bren, someone understands how dire this is.

My entire life has spelled out a need for an orange name. As a child, my parents would tell me "son, someday you will be among them... the Council of Orange." I'm afraid however, that I may not live up to that promise. Dictators such as Neon Ness (and his tyrannical yo-yo) will stop at nothing to thwart my efforts. You see, like Xerxes , Neon Ness fancies himself a God, as such, he feels the need to keep insects by the name of "Dan_X" under his absolute control.

Little does Neon Ness know, Dan_X has been busy... busy infiltrating the minds of the Orange Council. Like a Jedi performs mind trick--- Dan_X has sweet talked the councilmen into submission (and they don't even know it). His first target, Bren (aka blowtoes?), had the least resilience to his charm. Dan_X knew that in order to corrupt the council, he need befriend Bren first. Bren, you see, is the key to this whole operation. Kurt Tiger, leader of the Council of Orange, is not swayed nearly as easily as Bren. No, he's a special case. Using Bren as his in, Dan_X arranged a meet with the fabled Kurt. It was at this meeting that Dan_X infiltrated Kurt's mind, planting a thought in the simplest form. This thought would grow like a disease, but in turn, the thought would surely mature--- and he'd think it was his own. Before long, Kurt got a brilliant idea and went to Bren at once!
"Bren!" Kurt cried out. Bren, rather startled by his abruptness, looked up quickly
"what's up!?" Bren replied.
"Bren, I need to speak with you about the most paramount of things! Are you busy?"
"Well I..." Bren paused, looking down at his piece he was working on. "I've been working on the upper lip now for the past 6 hours... are you sure this can't wait, Kurt?"
"No!! It can't wait another second!"
"Fine then, shoot."
Kurt cleared his throat, seeming overly tense "you know that new guy in the Art Emporium? You know, the whale?"
"You mean Dan_X? I mean, he was a whale.. but that was a long time ago (actually it was a day)."
"Yes, Dan_X, that's right. I ah... I love him... and I w--"
"Wait what Kurt? You 'love' him?"
"No!! That came out wrong! I love.. his art (and his pink name)!"
"So anyway, what's this all about, Kurt?"
"Right, sorry. I think we should invite him to--"
"The Council of Orange!" interjected Bren. "Dear God, why didn't I think of this first!?"
"We've got to admit him Bren, we have too!" Kurt looked into Bren's eyes, a most serious look. Bren nodded.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
@Zio.

I'm pretty sure his last post was a joke with an undertone saying, "I get it... I'll be patient."

xD

I sketched my god today. It's interesting... trying to sketch a white dog isn't the easiest thing to do with pencil. xD I'll put it up later.

Edit because i didnt see the last two posts:

WHHATTT. SOMEONE WROTE A FANFIC ABOUT ME??

>.>

and... I'm fabled? WOO I MAY NOT EXIST!

Geist

Smash Master
You went too far Dan. You went too far.
I just...
Everyone leave me alone for now.
I'll be fine. Just... give me some time.

I sketched my god today. It's interesting... trying to sketch a white dog isn't the easiest thing to do with pencil. xD I'll put it up later.
That's a hell of a cult you're in man

Dan_X

Smash Lord
WHHATTT. SOMEONE WROTE A FANFIC ABOUT ME??

>.>

and... I'm fabled? WOO I MAY NOT EXIST!
Get over it man... you're famous now. You won't be able to leave your house without the paparazzi riding your ***. :)

You went too far Dan. You went too far.
I just...
Everyone leave me alone for now.
I'll be fine. Just... give me some time.
lol! What's wrong Councilmen Bren? Whale got your.. tongue?

wtf!? bahaha!

That's a hell of a cult you're in man
Yes, on Thursdays we drink liquefied Reese's cups. The cult may not be as bad as you think...

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Guys, I got back a couple of hours ago from the Captains Tour (Deadliest Catch), after which I went backstage with the captains, and then to their hotel for drinks! That's right, I spent my night partying with Jonathan, and Andy Hillstrand, and Sig Hanson. :D

It was such a random night, I'll post pics and videos later. Jon Hillstrand was hilarious--- he was trashed! Funniest ****. LoL.

It was interesting meeting them in person, outside the realm of television. They are very down to earth guys in real life. Just hard working guys.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In any case, this is gonna be hard for me to describe -

Doing vectors, does any one know how to make it so when I put a layer on top of another, the intersecting parts of the vectors change colors?

Something like, say, putting a circle, and another circle of the same color on top of each other, and the resulting shape in the middle being a different color. Can that be done with vector layers?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
In any case, this is gonna be hard for me to describe -

Doing vectors, does any one know how to make it so when I put a layer on top of another, the intersecting parts of the vectors change colors?

Something like, say, putting a circle, and another circle of the same color on top of each other, and the resulting shape in the middle being a different color. Can that be done with vector layers?
All things are possible through Photoshop who strengthens me.

Hrm. Let me think.

Yeah, if you mess around with the Layer Adjustments you can do this. In Photoshop, in the Layers tab (normally on the right), let's say you have 2 vector circle layers like you said. There's a drop down menu to the left of the opacity setting with a bunch of options like Overlay, Multiply, Exclusion, etc. that you can mess around with to get the intersecting areas to have different colors. Just now I set the top circle to Multiply for instance, and the intersecting area is darker, but the rest of the circles are identical colors. You can move the circles around and their intersecting areas will be altered depending on the Layer Adjustment.

So yeah, use the Layer Adjustments drop down menu on the topmost of the 2 layers, and their intersecting regions should be different.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm aware of that option, BUT, see, what i was trying to do was mix some shapes together, all being black, and hoping that the intersecting parts would be invisible.

:>

Expecting too much.

Neon Ness

I'm aware of that option, BUT, see, what i was trying to do was mix some shapes together, all being black, and hoping that the intersecting parts would be invisible.

:>

Expecting too much.
AAHHH. I see.

Yosh, you can do that. What you need to do then is use the Exclude Overlapping Shape Areas function of the pen tool.

When you select the pen tool, look at the pen tool menu bar--there should be an area with squares in different arrangements. If you mouse over the right most option it should say Exclude Overlapping Shape Areas (should look like 2 dark squares, and their overlapping region is lighter).

So you need to:

1. Use the Pen Tool to make your first shape. Black I guess.

2. Now, make sure you have this vector layer (we'll call it Layer 1) selected. Go to the Layers tab and click on the Vector Mask thumbnail (should be a gray box, with a white shape inside that's the shape of your vector) on Layer 1. This should make an outline appear around it in your artboard.

3. In the Pen Tool menu bar, click on the Exclude Overlapping Shape Areas option.

4. Now, use the Pen Tool to make the 2nd shape you want, and voila. The overlapping areas should be transparent pixels. Rinse and repeat for however many shapes you want to make.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So it's gotta be on the same layer, but it's still essentially two separate shapes.

Okay. Problem solved. THANKS!

Geist

Smash Master
I just got my new tablet this morning, and was experimenting on Gimp with it. I'm still messing around with options, getting used to it, etc., but so far it's soooo useful.

A little bit of fanart lol
Metroid <3

Suggestions, ideas, recommendations? I need some direction lol

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I remember that from that community project thing we randomly did.

My suggestion right now is to give it a dark background. The white is burnin' me eyes.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Hey you're still working on that. Nice work on colouring Samus I'd suggest a foggy base/corridor type scene, I think it'd add a mystery element to the enemies (despite that already being present) an emphasize Samus.

For some reason my tablet won't work with gimp.
Also another AESA/Theme challenge would be a good idea in the future.

Geist

Smash Master
Hey you're still working on that. Nice work on colouring Samus I'd suggest a foggy base/corridor type scene, I think it'd add a mystery element to the enemies (despite that already being present) an emphasize Samus.
hehe, that's exactly what I was going to do.
:]

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So I been told my Avatar is MAD choppy with out telling me why it is so.

So, to help this issue, I provide a larger version of it. I would collapse it, but you can't see it that way. After a certain point, I'll remove.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Don't worry about it.

I'm just mad P.O'd for getting a ticket today, banned form the mall yesterday, and being told things about my art.

Overall bad few days.

Geist

Smash Master
How come you're not using the entire imagin in your avatar?
It's pretty cool looking.

Wait you were banned from a mall?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
At that 100 x 100 size, it wouldn't do the image justice to try and fit it all in the avatar.

EDIT - Nevermind. Worked out fine.

And maybe I got banned form the mall. I dunno. Too scared to go back and find out.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, I like it as it is. Reminds me of something a Gentleman's club would make.

Besides, what could I put on the upper left?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That's possible, haha.

I really do wish I had some urge to draw something. I need to post some art here.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
That's possible, haha.

I really do wish I had some urge to draw something. I need to post some art here.
sig pic looks cool, not choppy at all. srsly.

I just got my new tablet this morning, and was experimenting on Gimp with it. I'm still messing around with options, getting used to it, etc., but so far it's soooo useful.

A little bit of fanart lol
Metroid <3

Suggestions, ideas, recommendations? I need some direction lol
Awesome!! Hey, any progress on this! I wanna see! Great job coloring thus far, I'm impressed on what you've already done w/ a tablet. Keep it up man! I've been too busy to do much drawing... lame! Hopefully I'll post some stuff soon.

Geist

Smash Master
Awesome!! Hey, any progress on this! I wanna see! Great job coloring thus far, I'm impressed on what you've already done w/ a tablet. Keep it up man! I've been too busy to do much drawing... lame! Hopefully I'll post some stuff soon.
No progress from that point yet. I'm a binge artist.
I figure I'll work on it a bunch tomorrow, see where it goes from there.

4nace

Smash Ace
A fun little Smash Mockup I made.

May make it a game since I have a pretty decent smash engine for game maker just sitting around haha.

Actual Size

Geist

Smash Master
Wow I love that xD
Making sprites is fun, and it's not everyday I see someone doing something so retro.
Heh, now I got GB nostalgia.

Neon Ness

I see that old familiar GameBoy spinach green. :laugh:

The sprites are really big compared to the stage. I would make sure you have some sort of scale standard to work from so that the character sizes make sense in relation to the levels, and to each other.

Handheld Smash iteration would be coool.

4nace

Smash Ace
Yeah, I actually realized that as I was doing it. If I did make it into a game, I think the characters would have to be much smaller. But the tiles being smaller than 8x8 would be tough. I was thinking if all the characters were limited to 12x24 and all the tiles were 6x6 then I could make an interesting game with gameboy resolution and colors. However, right now the tiles are 8x8 which makes them pretty big if I limit the characters to 8x16 (which gameboy sprites were limited to).

Haha, I'm going to make another with characters being a more playable size. (And a different stage)

-Dan

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So anyway -

I've always had an issue with the Deltoid/Trapezius area. I'm not too concerned with the bottom half of him as I did this in class due to boredom. I also feel like I'm forgetting how to draw the pectoral area as well. It's been weeks since I've done drawn the figure like this. The Forearm muscles altogether never seemed right at this degree when I drew it.

Hands have never been my forte, either. I just leave it be. Also - The head seems to be elevated too high in that picture. I meant to have him be bending low where you can't see his neck. :(

Top Bottom