• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer can't be just one character - he is three separate characters used once-per-life. The advantage of having a tier list for each character is a better grasp of knowing which one to use.

I still don't get the problem with Ivysaur. She's got bad recovery but good grabs, and the awesome Bullet Seed, Usmash, Dair, and Uair.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I strongly disagree with the placement of Samus in the low tier. She's mid, people. She's good at almost everything EXCEPT outright KOs, so what makes her an inferior character to Link?

salaboB

Smash Champion
Pokemon Trainer can't be just one character - he is three separate characters used once-per-life. The advantage of having a tier list for each character is a better grasp of knowing which one to use.
You're not allowed to Down-B once you've cleared your opponent, to switch to one better suited for the situation?
I strongly disagree with the placement of Samus in the low tier. She's mid, people. She's good at almost everything EXCEPT outright KOs, so what makes her an inferior character to Link?
Maybe Link is placed too high. I think Jiggly keeps getting put too high in many lists as well, tbh.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I agree with corner trap on this one. I main snake and know his strengths. If you just side dodge my grenades I will just have them stop on you instead. If I am using missles your off the stage and in bad shape. Mines roll dodge over them is kinda funny. We mainly stick you and then advance till your in the air. Then your in even worse shape. Upclose our nair out prioritizes almost anything. Air dodge and then run when your in the air. This means that we are on the ground usually utilit, uairing, or bairing. All of which will stay out long enough for us to hit you.

Think again.

I also would back up someone putting pokemon trainer instead of them individually. You have to play them all or pretty much lose.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
You're not allowed to Down-B once you've cleared your opponent, to switch to one better suited for the situation?
Well you can pick two out of three, so if you wanted to weed out the one that's inferior (Much like what most of the Youtube Tourney player videos did), you could.

I still think they should be placed separately, if only because they're all three separate in mechanics. It's no different than Shiek/Zelda, honestly, except that you have to switch.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
May as well submit my list.

Top:
Pit
Snake
ROB

High:
Marth
Game and Watch
Toon Link
Pikachu
Peach
Ike
Dedede
Kirby
Metaknight

Middle:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Mario
Luigi
Wario
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Zelda/Sheik

Low:
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
ZSS
Ice Climbers
Ness
Lucas
Olimar
Link
Captain Falcon

Bottom:
Ganondorf
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Lucario

I try to judge each character in 3 catagories; recovery, projectiles, and combat.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I haven't heard anything on the internet regarding the gender of PT's pokemon but even if there was such a thing there is no real reason to assume Ivysaur is the female. All of PT's pokemon can either be male or female in the games. Squirtles and Charizards can be female too.

Ivysaur is a she because of preconceived notions we have as a society. People associate flowers and plants with femininity.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I knew you would say that eventually. Don't worry I plan on moving Samus up, I'm just trying to think of a good place for her.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
lol Ledhead, Luigi is slow on his feet, ppl can easily abuse his recover, bad projectile, and bad range, and light, Luigi is probably Mid Mid maxium.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Yea lol what makes luigi top? His awesome projectiles, range, abusable recovery?

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's recovery is so small that it hardly makes a difference to just doing his midair jump. his b side takes him some distance, but there is an fair amount of lag if you want to do his b up(which isnt even as good as his second jump). he becomes extremly helpless after the first frames of it, but the good thing about the move is that it can ko someone. Luigi was insane in melee cuz he had the big wavedash and good aerials, but without those he feels really nerfed

Jaykizzle

Smash Cadet
two things

i wouldn't put luigi top but maybe he could introduce the high tier. aerial priority, a good balance of horizontal and vertical recovery, and quick moves which can get combos off an opponents offence make him a pretty good character.

however...in comparison to marth and pit....he doesn't have the good range that can out do them...his traction ( although it helps with his dash up smash) makes him hard to control.

and when it comes to who should be top tier...it should be snake.

for being the 2nd heaviest character in the game his attacks are fast. his ftilt has the knee lock which guarantees the second deadly 10% (or so) hit....utilt is a disjointed hit box and with hi knockback ( can kill a middle weight at 90% which isn't hard to rack damage to with snake)...uair and bair are fast and powerful and his other airs still have high knock back and killing ability by the end of their animations.

also his explosives make him control the field more than any other character. in addition, they are pretty discreet. they make him a happy camper. comboing physical with explosive attacks make him almost unstoppable.

his attacks also seem to have more hitstun than the others

worst thing my brother did to me as a snake main
go up to yur opponent... up smash then utilt.. snake should hit the opponent with the launcher commencing hit stun. follow up with the utilt which should launch yur opponent to the explosive from the up smash.

things like that and putting c4 on characters make him control the field insanely.

snake may run the risk of being banned due to his ability to just take over the stage and seriously **** with his high knockback explosions.

fox and falco didn't have this back in melee...he may be the akuma of ssbb

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
IIRC it's because some internet thing somewhere said that the PKMN Trainer had two males and a female, that female being the Ivysaur.
Ivysaur is definitely not a girl. As someone said, HIS voice is too ****ing deep ;) Plus, when you do his side taunt, he jumps up on his feet and goes "LOOOK AT MA BAAAAALLZZZ".

I'd like to invoke the Kirby theory, explained in my signature. I'd also like to invoke the "Nintendo censors Link getting tang" theory for good measure.

Luigi's recovery is so small that it hardly makes a difference to just doing his midair jump. his b side takes him some distance, but there is an fair amount of lag if you want to do his b up(which isnt even as good as his second jump). he becomes extremly helpless after the first frames of it, but the good thing about the move is that it can ko someone. Luigi was insane in melee cuz he had the big wavedash and good aerials, but without those he feels really nerfed
I thought Luigi's recovery was weak until I saw someone use his down-B. It's easier to use than it was in Melee...you don't have to mash nearly as fast to get results, and it's very easy and effective to use as a recovery (except over wifi =/). Anyone who thinks Luigi's recovery sucks hasn't used his downB to recover.

Also, Luigi has a lot of strength in the air, his dash attack doesn't blow, although you can't really dash-attack through people, his jab combo is really good, and I believe you can jab-jab-upB. His tornado can be used as somewhat of an approach if you're pro ;)

Definitely high tier, but his traction messes up things like shield grabbing and approaching, so I wouldn't put him in top tier.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Well, this game is more based on arials. So that alone makes Luigi high tier since he has a very good arial game. Even though it has more to do with camping and control than AERIALS, and even though I can't spell AERIALS.
ugh, people -_-

Luigi is still high tier IMO even though it's sort of camping-based. Luigi can pressure with his fireballs, albeit not as well as others, and he's strong in all areas, particularly in the air. However, his lack of traction screws up his ground approach game, which keeps him out of top tier.

EDIT: lol, can I play you on wifi, SwordmasterXXXI? I want to emasculate you with CAPTAIN FALCON, supposedly the worst character in the game ;) also I just to generally emasculate someone today, I'm in a bad mood.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
EDIT: lol, can I play you on wifi, SwordmasterXXXI? I want to emasculate you with CAPTAIN FALCON, supposedly the worst character in the game ;) also I just to generally emasculate someone today, I'm in a bad mood.
Do you still not realize that online matches do not represent the offline metagame? Seriously.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Do you still not realize that online matches do not represent the offline metagame? Seriously.
Do you still not realize that you're opinions don't make a bit of difference? Seriously.

There are a lot of differences between online and offline play, and the magnitude of the differences are determined by the amount of lag experienced. Some characters accel in laggy situations, particularly characters with spammable disruptive projectiles, and Ike with his rough buttsecks ownage. Other characters like Meta Knight that need to chase and space well to be effective, or that have really sensitive recoveries, don't do so well on wifi because the timing is off. On connections that are yellow or worse, the game changes drastically. On green connections, the change is barely noticable.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
May as well submit my list.

Top:
Pit
Snake
ROB

High:
Marth
Game and Watch
Toon Link
Pikachu
Peach
Ike
Dedede
Kirby
Metaknight

Middle:
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Mario
Luigi
Wario
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Zelda/Sheik

Low:
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
ZSS
Ice Climbers
Ness
Lucas
Olimar
Link
Captain Falcon

Bottom:
Ganondorf
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Lucario

I try to judge each character in 3 catagories; recovery, projectiles, and combat.
WTF @ this list. Lucario isn't the worst character in the game. Why is Olimar and Ice Climbers so low? Zelda and Sheik need separate spots on the tier list. It's not like you have to switch between them. And what do you mean by your "combat" category?

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
Bowser for top tier! metaknight for bottom tier! w00t anarchy!!
Pretty obvious you have no idea what actual anarchy is or the consequences of such a sytem.

Meh, I decided to update my tier again.
Mid
===
ZSS

Comments? >_>
Yeah...how bout no? ZSS is definately High Tier material. Light Weight is her only disadvantage. What about her tether recovery you say? Yes, she can be edge hogged but she does have this wonderful third jump that allows a special footstool out of any item or character.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
My tier list before it disapears.(bump)
TIER LIST:
Top tier
Falco
Snake
G&W

High tier
Ice climbers
MK
Pit
ZSS
Olimar
Marth
Toon link
Rob
King ddd
Wolf

Fox

Middle Tier
Pikachu
Wario
Sheik/and Zelda go here
Peach
Lucas
Lucario
Diddy Kong
DK

Low tier
Ness
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Yoshi
Mario
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ike (fan boys will attack me
Kirby(this hurts me my favorite this low ouch)
Sonic
Link

Lower Tier?
Jiggs
Ganondorf
BowserTIER
i moved Dk to mid tier but thats the max i'm allowing guys. (to punishible and counterable.

If your competive i suggest you master snake seeing as he seems to win the most and has great matchups. At least a secondary.
here you go corner trap:)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
bowser shouldn't be so low, neither should pikachu, nor should MK, nor Zelda, nor Ike
peach shouldn't be so high, neither should fox, nor should wario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom