• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamlkakash1

Smash Rookie
highest tier
marth (almost same attacks as melee, some buffs and nerfs but more buffs if u ask me)
falco (sure they nerfed his shine, but he still has his down spike and is able to chain throw nearly everyone)

high tier
snake (awesome combos, strong attacks, forever recovery [bomb jump] )
pokemon trainer (squirtle and charizard, good mindgames, bulbasaur sucks but charizard and squirtle are pretty good.)

high-mid tier
pit
fox (after the shine nerf, he almost sucks now, since about 70% of his moves relied on shine, waveshine,infiniteshine,shine, etc. but he still has his up air and u-air which makes him still good in brawl)
wolf (sort of a mix of both fox and falco pretty decent)

havent played anyone else yet, but ive been hearing good criticism from many people
ive heard that ice climbers,jigglypuff are still good, i dont know if jiggly still has his rest or his wall of pain but if he does he is still a good candidate for brawl, same goes for peach, but not many peach players rise up high.

if i were u, id go for marth,snake, or falco. snake has a lot of combos (dash attack - up smash) and more. Marth with all of his combos still (kens combo,etc. but now the main thing is that his sword dance all connect if the first one connects, not to mention that it is so much easier to pull off, expect to see this used often; he still has his -> b recovery) falco - can now chain grab and immediately pull off into a down spike easily. however his down spike is a bit harder to aim with since u have to hit the foe as soon as it spins.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
You entirely missed the entire point. Tier lists for the most part are based on match-ups. PT is three separate characters with three different sets of match-ups.
except that, unlike Zelda/sheik or Samus/ZSS, PT is FORCED to switch between his pokes.... heck, ZSS can never go back to samus without a smashball.

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
why is captain falcon at the bottom of all of these?
He lost everything that made him as good as he was in Melee. He can't chaingrab. He can't combo. His knee is weaker with a smaller hitbox that isn't out for as long and nothing leads into it. He has almost no priority over anything. He just sucks. The only redeeming factor of Falcon is that his recovery got slightly buffed, which doesn't matter in Brawl because everyone else has crazy good recoveries that are far better than Falcon's.

This is coming from someone who played Falcon in Melee.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
He lost everything that made him as good as he was in Melee. He can't chaingrab. He can't combo. His knee is weaker with a smaller hitbox that isn't out for as long and nothing leads into it. He has almost no priority over anything. He just sucks. The only redeeming factor of Falcon is that his recovery got slightly buffed, which doesn't matter in Brawl because everyone else has crazy good recoveries that are far better than Falcon's.

This is coming from someone who played Falcon in Melee.
This is all true. I would just like to throw in that his Falcon Punch is better :/

I have played Captain Falcon in 64 and Melee, and it is sad to see him slowly drop through the ranks.

BTW, Ike and Snake are pretty cool guys, tehy **** families and doesn't afraid of anything.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I'm seeing a pattern...

Snake is always High Medium or Top Tier...

I can see why.

He is INSANE.

He's the one character that isn't about combos.

It's all about spacing, placement, and RAW POWER.

He's slow and has a bad aerial game, sure...

but his Fsmash...

THE FSMASH!!!

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
By most people's standards I main all Top/High tier characters (Metaknight, Diddy Kong, Falco), but my best main is Sonic... who many people put at low/bottom. I really hope some good Sonic players appear during these deciding tourneys because when used correctly he is very underrated.

Browny

Smash Hater
these recent tourneys shouldnt even count as preliminary placings. it took years and years for melee tier list to reach some sort of steady state why would brawl be any difference.

Also glad yous like my list ^__^ I only put shiek low because ive actually never played against one. everyone always stick with zelda. when you have dins fire, why would you ever pick shiek :/

And until i figure out a way to dash into olimar's side b/dmash/fsmash spam and shield grab him out of it, he stays right where he is :p

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i'm too lazy to think about all the chars, but these are the ones that come to mind when i think of the different levels

top-toon link marth de3 and maybe olimar...

high-diddy meta knight fox pit? mario

middle- samus link jiggs ganon c. falcon pikachu

low- ike ness lucas

bottom-wario and only wario(not cuz he's bad but because i wouldn't play with him even if i knew i could win. for crying out loud he eats people!!!)

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
>BDawgPHD

1) You still never told me whats wrong with SRK's tier list

2) You ignored me when I offered a match between you vs. anyone on SRK.
1) There's too much wrong with it...I'm gonna wait for someone else who has the patience to look at it without having to punt a baby to correct it.

2) As far as I know, you never offered me a match...if you're posting a challenge on this thread, chances are I never got it. I suggest you PM me and offer me a match :chuckle:

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Now i can say from cleary a non biased point
top tier as follows
1.meta knight
2.Snake
3. G&W
4.Falco or olimar iono
thats all i got as of know.
thise is based on a tournement i was at and also the tournament results based on the tournement records on the boards and on a side note Mr 3000 won are tournament with sonic. who beat Roy-R who 4 and 3 stocked forward and xzelic he is too good.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Now i can say from cleary a non biased point
top tier as follows
1.meta knight
2.Snake
3. G&W
4.Falco or olimar iono
thats all i got as of know.
thise is based on a tournement i was at and also the tournament results based on the tournement records on the boards and on a side note Mr 3000 won are tournament with sonic. who beat Roy-R who 4 and 3 stocked forward and xzelic he is too good.

I RAN the tournament where 3000 beat roy_r. it was brawl. Roy_R 3 and 4 stocked Xelic and cave man in MELEE not brawl. You cant compare them like that. Cause 3000 sucked in melee.

Sonic is trash. just cause he wins one tournament in houston,tx doesnt mean hes amazing.

Top 5 characters will be meta,falco,olimar,pit and marth.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Don't be hating on me tgm i think that is a appropiate list my bad on the melle thing i have crap memory you know that dude. i hate sonic i'm not giving him props so ough in your face i'm jocking.

also i made him sound awesome way to put him down clap....

Xyro77

i can put down any character i want. memebers from 2006-2008 know nothing anyway. and yes sonic is trash.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
>BDawgPHD

1) You still never told me whats wrong with SRK's tier list
Top:
Snake
Pit
Toon Link
Falco
Metaknight
Marth
Wolf

High:
Zelda
R.O.B.
King Dedede
Ice Climbers
Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Diddy Kong
Pikman & Olimar
Fox
Pikachu

Mid:
Luigi
Kirby
Sheik
Peach
Squirtle
Wario
Lucario
Ness
Ike
Jigglypuff
Charizard

Low:
Link
Donkey Kong
Samus
Bowser
Yoshi

Bottom:
Ivysaur
Sonic
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Mario
wheee, where to begin. Lets start at the top.

Why is snake there? He's a decent all round character, but he doesn't deserve the top. His recovery isn't that good (you can gimp it relatively easily, and it doesn't autograb), and he has trouble facing people who have a longer short range, which is a bunch of people. He can't really camp projectiles, (though he has decent control using them).

I just want to know why you have him up there...

Also, Marth: His range is much smaller than melee, his grab is shorter, and throws doesn't combo as well. Why is he up so high? He has a decent edgeguard game, all though edgeguarding isn't as effective in brawl. His smashes ARE good, but still have punishable cool-down time. I think that it's your familiarity with melee that makes you over-estimate marth ^_^

High tier:

Why is pikachu so low. He's fast, can actually combo, has a semi chaingrab. His recovery is excellent and unpredictable.

I don't think fox and G&W should be so high....

Lower Tiers: Why is sheik there? She should be top of mid tier, although luigi and kirby are up there as well.

Wario should be lower. He has great aerial mobility, but imo he only does well against a few characters.

Ivysaur and falcon are too low. Just because falcon doesn't play like melee doesn't mean he totally sucks. Ivysaur is an excellent character in all respects but recovery, and thanks to being able to switch out, you can simply not use Ivysaur when your damage gets high *thanks to no combos, it's fairly easy to hit the ground, and then switch, though coming out of the switch is very rock, paper scissors on whether your opponent hits you...

Also, regarding PT, although you have all 3 of his pokemon in low mid-down, can you honestly say that PT himself is low tier. Thanks to the ability to switch Pokemon, he is incredibly versatile.

Also, I'm curious about samus. She has great aerials, missile cancel, still decent recovery, and good smashes....why is she so low.

Now I'm not trying to beat you down or anything, but your smugness/arrogance is unfounded. Your list is flawed, and even if it isn't, it's STILL TOO EARLY to come up with one...;)

And BDawg is good, just a warning ;)

Xyro77

never. recovery gimp-able. grenades catch-able. mines......for-see-able. Attacks are slow. You just have to worry about mind games and mine set ups.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
dur dur lol and the grenades pwn he is kinda a counter pick against knight because nights attacks triggers nades and that = pwnage

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
my bad but the grenades are awesome you agree it in most cases guaranty's damage if your attacked in the air i been testing thise but you know me tgm i will have 6000 charecters to choose from nice talking to you.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Snake is all about specialty.

His moves are incredibly deceptive in range and power.

His BV also leads to auto kill combos at even medium percentages.

For instance:

Assuming you've C4'd the enemy...

Short hop then Uair

Usmash with a moderate charge

Depending on how high the person goes, either double jump or Cypher to them and Uair

Activate the C4. Stock -1

Xyro77

Snake is all about specialty.

His moves are incredibly deceptive in range and power.

His BV also leads to auto kill combos at even medium percentages.

For instance:

Assuming you've C4'd the enemy...

Short hop then Uair

Usmash with a moderate charge

Depending on how high the person goes, either double jump or Cypher to them and Uair

Activate the C4. Stock -1
I agree, assuming all of this went right......there is no doubt snake can pull off a stock at a decently low percent. I wont argue that. What i will argue is that snake has to micro-manage everything to be top tier like some are saying.

PERSONLALY, i think falco will be top. due to things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgyIvi3PoP0

Veral42

Smash Rookie
I haven't had the time to fully test the characters (something that makes me very sad. :() however I'm going to attempt to make a list based on what I've sen so far (though I have seen more characters played at MUCH higher rates than others). The lists are, however, in no particular order (someone higer up in mid is not necessarily better than someone lower in mid, it just means they were lower/higher when I listed out all the characters for my own organization).

Snake
Pit
Marth
Metaknight
Zero Suit Samus

High
Bowser (though he may really belong in the Mid)
King Dedede
Falco
Toon Link
Wolf
Pikachu
Shiek
R.O.B.
Ike

Mid
Mr. Game and Watch
Fox
Olimar
Donkey Kong
Squirtle
Sonic
Charizard
Ivysaur
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Luigi
Kirby
Lucas
Ness
Lucario

Low
Diddy Kong (mainly because he lacks any real defining KO move, though studying him more closely may prove this initial impression false and have me move him to Mid)
Samus
Yoshi
Peach
Link
Mario
Jigglypuff

Bottom
Ganondorf
Captian Falcon
Wario

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
at Zyro aka tgm aka allan aka THE GREAT MARTH!

so yeah there the top and i agree falco will easily be top or high tier.

Veral42

Smash Rookie
WTF at mario and wario being low and bottom GTFO!!!! tiers don't exsist!!!
To Boss8:

I disagree with the approach you've taken towards discussing the tiers. I'm all for discussing the tier distribution, however that should be done in a more refined and objective manner that the one you seem to be taking. I personally enjoy playing as Mario, however he's slower and not as balanced as he was in Melee. On top of that, it's harder to KO your opponent with him, though his f-air is easier to spike with. All in all, however, he's just not one of the better characters (as far as I've seen and tested) in Brawl. As for Wario, there are only a select few characters that he's truely effective against, as opposed to someone like Falco or even Fox who can be used effectively against almost anyone and have the versatility to adapt their used moves to fit (almost) any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom