• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
My tier list so far, open to critisicm, not insults, also, this is mostly rough draft, so take it seriously or not, whatever

TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
Lucas
Fox
Pit
Snake
Zelda
Pikachu
Luigi

Middle:
Meta-knight
Diddy
Ivysaur
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Mario
Kirby
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Falco

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Ganondorf
Samus
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
R.O.B

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi

YOu forgot Dedede. He goes to Upper because of that xD

I have a question. Why is this thread even here? If the final say is from the backroom, then doesn't this just become a waste of time?

Browny

Smash Hater
I think Toon Link, Marth and G&W are currently Top Tier for me. 3 best in the game so far for me. I say give it another 3-4 months we should have a decent and accurate Tier List. As for Final Smash, hands down, Marths is the best. Guarenteed KO, if it hits. Also Ganondorfs as well, just hit with Foward B, and immediately hit the Final Smash, Guarenteed 100% hit.
oh man...

in 1vs1, marths FS is average at best. its easily possible to dodge it and as long as you keep your distance you should always have enough time to air dodge it or whatever. Im not even going to go into super armour frames rendring his FS useless. Light arrow is superior in pretty much every aspect. Landmaster or Negative zone is probably the best for 1vs1 though

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
My tier list so far, open to critisicm, not insults, also, this is mostly rough draft, so take it seriously or not, whatever

TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
Lucas
Fox
Pit
Snake
Zelda
Pikachu
Luigi

Middle:
Meta-knight
Diddy
Ivysaur
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Mario
Kirby
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Falco

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Ganondorf
Samus
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
R.O.B

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi
I don't really agree with your list,

Meta Knight, MIDDLE? Lol wtf. diddy, MIDDLE? Lolwtf.

Mace in your Face

Smash Rookie

TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
Lucas
Fox
Pit
Snake
Zelda
Pikachu
Luigi

Middle:
Meta-knight
Diddy
Ivysaur
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Mario
Kirby
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Falco

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Ganondorf
Samus
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
R.O.B

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi

Completely wrong, you obviously have not played many of those characters.

Mace in your Face

Smash Rookie
TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Lucas
Meta-Knight
Olimar
Fox
Snake
DeDeDe
Diddy
R.O.B
Pit

Middle:
Wario
Zelda
Luigi
Pikachu
Ivysaur
Ike
Falco
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Charizard
Mario
Kirby

Low:
Ganondorf
Samus
Ness
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

I re-did the former, I think this is a bit more accurately placed.
I've played a TON and watched several recent vids and have payed attention
to tourney placings etc etc etc.

D

Deleted member

I think Ganon is actually pretty decent from what I saw at the tourney I went to yesterday, it changed my opinion of him. And I'm surprised that many people think Ganon/Falcon are worse than Sonic.
That's because they are far worse than Sonic. Actually, only Ganondorf is. Captain Falcon is okay. Ganondorf for bottom tier. Contrary to what people might think, that was a compliment. There is no bad character in the game, not even Ganon.

Speaking of bad characters, Yoshi should be at least mid tier. For example, you can now aim his Egg Throw.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
TOP:
Pit
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
R.O.B
Lucas
MK
Diddy
Snake
Zelda
King DeDeDe

Middle:
Sheik
Fox
Peach
Falco
Ice Climbers
Ivysaur
Lucario
Ness
Wario
Falcon
Zamus
Squirtle
Pikachu
Luigi

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Ganondorf
Samus
Kirby
Mario
Jigglypuff
Ike

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Kinda disagree

TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf- I'm still not sure why he's top tier. Good forward smash, good down smash, has a blaster and a reflector. He's got some things going for him but not enough to be top tier or above the other spacies.

Upper:
Olimar
Lucas- A bit higher than he deserves.
Fox
Pit
Snake
Zelda- Overrated. I've explained why I feel this several times in this thread so I don't feel like going into it again.
Pikachu
Luigi

Middle:
Meta-knight- With his speed and priority he deserves high tier.
Diddy- Great speed and priority. Powerful for a fighter his size. High tier.
Ivysaur
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Mario
Kirby
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Falco- Don't quite get why he's so far below the other spacies.

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Ganondorf
Samus
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
R.O.B- Amazing air movement, good weight/speed ratio, two great projectiles that can KO at high percents, and some powerful moves. He doesn't belong near the bottom.

Bottom:
Donkey Kong- Another one I've went over. Good speed power and a decent amount of quick attacks, good throws, buffed super armor punch etc. Has some trouble with projectile users but no more than several of the characters placed above him.
Charizard
Yoshi

templar rage

Smash Cadet

TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
Lucas
Fox
Pit
Snake
Zelda
Pikachu
Luigi

Middle:
Meta-knight
Diddy
Ivysaur
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Mario
Kirby
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Falco

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Ganondorf
Samus
Lucario
Wario
Jigglypuff
R.O.B

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi
You forgot Link and Dedede, and as for criticisms, Lucario and R.O.B. are higher.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
TOP:
Pit
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Olimar
R.O.B
Lucas
MK
Diddy
Snake
Zelda

Middle:
Sheik
Fox
Peach
Falco
Ice Climbers
Ivysaur
Lucario
Ness
Wario
Falcon
Zamus
Squirtle
Pikachu
Luigi

Low:
Sonic
Bowser
Ganondorf
Samus
Kirby
Mario
Jigglypuff
Ike

Bottom:
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Yoshi

Huh? Ike at the bottom of low tier? Snake BELOW R.O.B.? Pikachu so low?

Otherwise, I think your tier list is... ok... but the things I mentioned are BIG problems in it...

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu, I have mained him forever and have gone to tourney's with him, he really isnt that buffed downsmash doesn't do all that much hard to kill with up smash and side smash now, and now more spike

IAW

Smash Rookie
Falco underrated

Hello, I am new to the forums (though I have been keeping up with the tier list discussion daily). However, I am an experienced player in both brawl and melee. I played competitively with people like darkrain and mewtwo king from melee (I believe they were the top two players of the midwest in America for melee before brawl was released). I will in a future post release my own tier list; however, I do not have the time right now. But I would like to say that I think falco should be top tier. I know I'll prolly get a lot of flack for posting this but here are the reasons why I think falco should be top tier

- If any of his opponents are at low to zero health he can chain Dthrow them and finish with a running kick into up smash for a combo that does damage anywhere from 40-60% (depends on the weight of the opponent). If anyone needs video proof of this I'd be happy to upload one.

- His aerials have high priority. To my knowledge has the only Dair besides marth that cancels olimar's Usmash (and I think we can all agree Olimar's smash moves have insane priority in general) and his other aerials are just as good except his neutral.

- His forward smash may not be the quickest but his Usmash and Dsmash make up for it. They both have huge priority and come out very fast.

- The ability to do a running attack with an Usmash right after it. This technique with falco is usually fast enough that it is non-shield grabbable unless they power-shield.

- His laser and reflector are good enough to usually stop any long range spam from characters like young link

- Lastly he has two good spikes off the edge. You can jump off the ledge past someone and the the falco phantasm (it is a spike in this one too) to get back, or you can simply jump off and do a Dair.

I know this post won't convince a lot of you that falco is top tier, but I hope it at least convinces you he's high, definately not mid.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ike, he is trash, slow but powerful His cons overweigh the pros.
Not all of his attacks are slow...

And while power doesn't generally make up for speed, he does have nice priority and lots of attacks with large disjointed hitboxes.

Oh, and lots of attacks with super armor.

THOSE advantages make up for a general lack in speed.

Klixx

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new to the forums (though I have been keeping up with the tier list discussion daily). However, I am an experienced player in both brawl and melee. I played competitively with people like darkrain and mewtwo king from melee (I believe they were the top two players of the midwest in America for melee before brawl was released). I will in a future post release my own tier list; however, I do not have the time right now. But I would like to say that I think falco should be top tier. I know I'll prolly get a lot of flack for posting this but here are the reasons why I think falco should be top tier

- If any of his opponents are at low to zero health he can chain Dthrow them and finish with a running kick into up smash for a combo that does damage anywhere from 40-60% (depends on the weight of the opponent). If anyone needs video proof of this I'd be happy to upload one.

- His aerials have high priority. To my knowledge has the only Dair besides marth that cancels olimar's Usmash (and I think we can all agree Olimar's smash moves have insane priority in general) and his other aerials are just as good except his neutral.

- His forward smash may not be the quickest but his Usmash and Dsmash make up for it. They both have huge priority and come out very fast.

- The ability to do a running attack with an Usmash right after it. This technique with falco is usually fast enough that it is non-shield grabbable unless they power-shield.

- His laser and reflector are good enough to usually stop any long range spam from characters like young link

- Lastly he has two good spikes off the edge. You can jump off the ledge past someone and the the falco phantasm (it is a spike in this one too) to get back, or you can simply jump off and do a Dair.

I know this post won't convince a lot of you that falco is top tier, but I hope it at least convinces you he's high, definately not mid.
I totally agree with you Falco is really underrated on this board while he has every single tool to be top tier

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Would Pokemon trainer's pokemon be separate tiers like zelda and sheik?
It depends on whether tiers are decided to be a snapshot of the gameplay situation at any time or view of the overall match.

In the former case, the pokemon all must be individuals, whereas in the latter case, the pokemon trainer would be what has a place in the tier list.

ramiel77

Smash Rookie
TOP:
Toon Link
Marth
Wolf

Upper:
Lucas
Meta-Knight
Olimar
Fox
Snake
DeDeDe
Diddy
R.O.B
Pit

Middle:
Wario
Zelda
Luigi
Pikachu
Ivysaur
Ike
Falco
Zamus
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Peach
Charizard
Mario
Kirby

Low:
Ganondorf
Samus
Ness
Sonic
Bowser
Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

I re-did the former, I think this is a bit more accurately placed.
I've played a TON and watched several recent vids and have payed attention
to tourney placings etc etc etc.
this teir list looks relatively accurate, of course it can't be perfect without tournament data. I also wish Pokemon Trainer was one entity because of the stamina factor but that may not be the case

ramiel77

Smash Rookie
i think the important thing to realize is that the tiers aren't that spread out and so being middle tier is not that bad. But there are better characters than ike and squirtle. Ike is slow and squirtle isn't great on the ground

Ghetto Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
STOP PUTTING WOLF IN THE TOP TIER, HE HAS NOTHING AMAZING WORTH NOTICING, GOD**** IT IM GOING TO HAVE AN ANEURISM

sometimes i feel like most people on this site fail to think about what they are posting. either that or they're just plain dumb

will388

Smash Cadet
short hop fair? squirtle is great on the ground... also people are forgetting sheik on their lists, someone who is being terribly underrated and is way better than alot of people think

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i dunno i think wolf is in the upper echelon.... hard to shield grab,good projectile, pretty stong and quick, some akward moves that no character has had before, i think right now hes the best space animal, it will be a while before we get an accurate depiction of how good he really is metagame wise

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Would Pokemon trainer's pokemon be separate tiers like zelda and sheik?
go back two pages.

It depends on whether tiers are decided to be a snapshot of the gameplay situation at any time or view of the overall match.

In the former case, the pokemon all must be individuals, whereas in the latter case, the pokemon trainer would be what has a place in the tier list.
pokemon trainer is going to have to be taken as one character, if we're following the "view of the overall match" approach, as that's what affects the players. if a character's placement in the tier list doesn't reflect his metagame's potential (and pt's metagame dictates that you must use all three pokemon), then the purpose of placing that character in the list at all is defeated.

Sheen

Smash Rookie

I completely agree, my friend beasts me as falco mainly because of the reasons you pointed out. He has all the tools to be top tier. He's fast, has priority (that back air is devastating), loads of tricks (chain grab/lazerlock/DLX hit cancel), and he can spike if hes ever behind.

He can be a devastating character. He can chain grab you across the stage then spike you without allowing you to have the chance to counter it. He is broken and deserves a top tier spot.

bruiser

Smash Rookie
Just a hint guys posting about how under rated a character is, while at the same time having said character in your avatar or signature makes you look like a moron. The intelligence level of this thread is really going downhill, case in point it is assinine to rank the pokemon individually. "Snapshot of a moment in a match" theory is ridiculous, you must view a characters utility in the entirity of his moveset and matchups, not just when they are at their best or worst. You cannot use one pokemon all match long due to fatigue so therefor you must rate PT as a sum of his parts.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Just a hint guys posting about how under rated a character is, while at the same time having said character in your avatar or signature makes you look like a moron. The intelligence level of this thread is really going downhill, case in point it is asinine to rank the pokemon individually. "Snapshot of a moment in a match" theory is ridiculous, you must view a characters utility in the entirity of his moveset and matchups, not just when they are at their best or worst. You cannot use one pokemon all match long due to fatigue so therefor you must rate PT as a sum of his parts.
Smash World Forums - Reply to Topic

Sheen

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight....Really? REALLY?!

Okay going through this thread I've seen MK way up on the tier lists and from everything I've seen from videos and just playing with him I put him middle at best. Now I realize theres a lot of morons on the board that are just spamming lists because theyre under the illusion that they are good but I've seen it so much I'm curious as to why. So, can someone please explain what I'm missing about his game that makes him so godly?

<3 Sheen <3

SuperSmasher962

Smash Cadet
Top Tier
Pit
Marth

High Tier
Toon Link
Wolf
Diddy
Meta Knight
Falco
Fox
Ike
Olimar
King Dedede

Middle Tier
Lucas
Ness
Ice Climbers
Rob
Bowser
Snake
Pokemon Trainer
Pikachu
Kirby
ZSS
Bowser
Jigglypuff
Mario
Captain Falcon
Peach

Low
Samus
Shiek
Zelda
Link
Luigi
Game&Watch
Ganondorf
Wario
Sonic

Bottom
Yoshi
Donkey Kong

Tell me what you think?

Klixx

Smash Rookie
I also do not see the big deal about MK I've done over 1000 matches in the past couple weeks and I've used every character more than enough & I can not grasp why everyone is in awe over how good meta knight is.

Yes I agree he has air priority 85% of the time but on the ground he is extremely weak
He can be K.O'd at low percentages
His ground game is pretty awful.
His recovery is good but nothing to scoff about I find it to be a disadvantage that after ever single special move he loses his jumping ability.

I know I'll get flamed for it but I just don't see it.

Mid tier to High mid at best

SuperSmasher962

Smash Cadet
I would agree that meta knight is definetly not top tier but he had to be high tier he can deal damage fast and good players can always get him back on the course if he gets knocked off.

-notic

Smash Cadet
Top Tier
Pit
Marth

High Tier
Toon Link
Wolf
Diddy
Meta Knight
Falco
Fox