• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
i say yoshi should have his own tier list yoshi tier. zss to me shes not top tier but whatever i guess. I would rank her in the mid tier. Being an experienced Zelda player mid tier isnt bad but later on i think she will be low.

Fletch

Smash Master
That where I think your wrong. AT's didn't balance out melee, as only certain characters could truely abuse them. Sure, every character could L-Cancel, and wavedash, but only characters would had the attributes to back them up (like Marth's range, or Fox's speed), could actually take advantage of them.

Look at Mewtwo. He had one of the best wavedashes, incredible throws, and awesome shuffles. All of this didn't matter though, because his size and weight attributes gave him extreme disadvantages.

Look at Link. He had an insane ability to spam projectiles, dominate the air with shuffles, had a great grab range, and an AWESOME recovery too. But, his weight, combined with a lack of speed, kept him stuck in combos. AT's didn't help him either.

In Brawl though, all the attributes are more balanced out. Being fast and having range isn't necessary to win anymore. Weight isn't a liability anymore. Grab Range isn't a huge asset either. Each stat actually means something. The character design is better, so the game is overall more balanced and doesn't rely on AT's to balance them out.
For every example you named, I could name tons more. Try playing Luigi, ICs, Ganon, the Mario and others without WDing. The ATs helped out the lower tiers much more than they did for the high tiers (i.e. Marth and Sheik don't really need WDing and L-canceling to be played well while so many other characters require it). ATs balanced Melee quite a bit by allowing all characters to be faster... Seriously play Melee without using ATs for a day, and see the differences.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
top:

toon link
olimar
marth
luigi

high:

Pit
wolf
diddy
Ike
dedede
metaknight
g&w
lucas
r.o.b
snake
zelda/shiek

mid

Fox
zamus
wario
ice climbers
pikachu
kirby
ness
peach
lucario

low tier

PT
sonic
link
mario
samus
DK
bowser

bottom tier

jigglypuff
ganondorf
capt falcon
yoshi

im not putting falco anywhere cuz i have no idea, but im convinced they ruined him by changing his shine...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I'll give insight on the characters I think are capable of being high/top:

King Dedede
Probable Positon: High Tier
Reasoning: Chain grab, relatively speedy moves, power, good recovery, spammable Waddle Dees/Doos/ Gordos.

Ike
Probable Postion: High mid-High Tier
Reasoning: Blatant power, Aether Spam, good approach with Quick Draw,

Toon Link
Probable Position: High-Top Tier
Reasoning: Maybe best projectile game in Brawl, superb aerials with good priority, good smashes

Meta Knight
Probable Position: High mid-High Tier
Reasoning: Decently effective specials (mirite?), superb recovery, great aerials, great tilts

Pit
Probable Position: High mid-Low high Tier
Reasoning: Spammable arrows, superb recovery (best in game???), decent-good aerials

Marth
Probable Position: Top Tier
Reasoning: Superb aerials, decent specials, great tilt, comboing ability, good kill moves

meltingfire

Smash Rookie
top:

toon link
olimar
marth
luigi

high:

Pit
wolf
diddy
Ike
dedede
metaknight
g&w
lucas
r.o.b
snake
zelda/shiek

mid

Fox
zamus
wario
ice climbers
pikachu
kirby
ness
peach
lucario

low tier

PT
sonic
link
mario
samus
DK
bowser

bottom tier

jigglypuff
ganondorf
capt falcon
yoshi

im not putting falco anywhere cuz i have no idea, but im convinced they ruined him by changing his shine...
i mostly agree with this tier except i think shiek should be higher up and zelda farther down

Top:

Snake
Toon Link
Marth
Falco

High:

Pit
Diddy Kong
Luigi
R.O.B.
Zelda
Wolf
King Dedede
Fox
Pikmin and Olimar

High-Middle:

Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta Knight

Middle:

Pikachu
Samus
Lucario
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Wario
Mario
Peach
Link
Ice Climbers
Bowser
Sheik

Middle-Low:
Sonic
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Jigglypuff

Low:
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

I have altered my list once more.

will388

Smash Cadet
in response to meltingfire's post.. why do people put sheik so low? lmaooooo sheik can still kill at 110 or so percent and racking up damage is obscenely easy

Theftz22

Smash Lord

snake
toon link
marth
pit
olimar

high

falco
dedede
ROB
wolf
fox
metaknight
diddy kong
game&watch
luigi

middle

ike
zelda
pokemon trainer
pikachu
lucas
sonic
wario
lucario
link
samus
ness
peach
donkey kong
yoshi
bowser
ice climbers
kirby

low
mario
jigglypuff

bottom

ganondorf
captain falcon

Mathorn

Smash Rookie
Top:

Snake
Toon Link
Marth
Falco

High:

Pit
Diddy Kong
Luigi
R.O.B.
Zelda
Wolf
King Dedede
Fox
Pikmin and Olimar

High-Middle:

Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta Knight

Middle:

Pikachu
Samus
Lucario
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Wario
Mario
Peach
Link
Ice Climbers
Bowser
Sheik

Middle-Low:
Sonic
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Jigglypuff

Low:
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

I have altered my list once more.
I wish your middle was a bit more broken down but other than that its nearly my image of perfection in terms of tiers.

SiSiMeN

Smash Rookie
yoshi

It seems that Yoshi is at the bottom end of most tier lists but I beg to differ, my main character is Yoshi and I have not been beat in a 1 v 1 yet with him. Especially now that he has an up B, however he is slightly slower in brawl but thats ok.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
All of you stop underrating Sonic. If people can figure out how to combo with him, he is a beast.

funkdoc23

Smash Rookie
yoshi is a survivalist i will give you that, he's fairly difficult to knock off the map. other than that he screams middle low to bottom tier

Super Wec

Smash Cadet
yeah can somebody please explain to me why sonic is on the lower tier? Hes fast, racks up damage quick, and a good sonic player will know how to finish you.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Ice climbers are low middle in BOTH of your tier lists!? They deserve at least high-middle

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
From what I have gathered (me= long time player/reader/tierorist [lol]) I see that one at the Bottom Tier would be Olimar, And Top Tier would be Pit, Toon Link, Shiek, R.O.B.(maybe?) Falco, Fox, and Wolf.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
From what I have gathered (me= long time player/reader/tierorist [lol]) I see that one at the Bottom Tier would be Olimar, And Top Tier would be Pit, Toon Link, Shiek, R.O.B.(maybe?) Falco, Fox, and Wolf.
From what I've heard, Olimar [even though he's my LEAST favorite character] isn't half bad.

l0n3r

Smash Cadet
haha, ok, I just heard that generally, his cons outweigh his pros. And I've never been too good with 'em. (don't call me noobish, I've been pro since the good 'ol N64 days. I don't just suck, I'm just not amazing with Olimar)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Olimar? Bottom? HAHAHAHAHA. Youre a very funny man.

Wolf will not be top, niether will Fox. I think Kirby is being put a bit low on these lists...

What cons are you talking about? His tether? a smart Olimar player will know when to use the tether at the right moment, and if the edgeguarder does not have invincibility, the tether knocks them off the edge and grabs it.

I dont know of any other cons you could be refering to.

meltingfire

Smash Rookie
All of you stop underrating Sonic. If people can figure out how to combo with him, he is a beast.
i completly agree you realy need to get your hands dirty with sonic to be able to efficiently use him

and i think that we should all wait for an official tier before we start *****!ng about anything

im guessing most of these tiers creators put their best characters at the top

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I have trouble finding any character thats good against Pit. I've only been theorizing (I haven't played so many games against other people, so I could definitely be wrong).

Multiple jumps -> good edgeguard & recovery & juggling
Swords -> Disjointed hitbox? Definitely decent priority
He's fast.
I think what really does it though is the arrow. It's like a high speed PK thunder with very little lag. Against other characters that share his good attributes (like Meta Knight), the arrows can be used to screw with their approach easily.

Pit isn't even my favorite to use, I just can't see a character that has a distinct advantage against him, whereas pretty much everyone else has a weakness.

BTW, I would be glad to be set straight on this matter; I don't want to keep thinking this if I'm wrong.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble finding any character thats good against Pit. I've only been theorizing (I haven't played so many games against other people, so I could definitely be wrong).

Multiple jumps -> good edgeguard & recovery & juggling
Swords -> Disjointed hitbox? Definitely decent priority
He's fast.
I think what really does it though is the arrow. It's like a high speed PK thunder with very little lag. Against other characters that share his good attributes (like Meta Knight), the arrows can be used to screw with their approach easily.

Pit isn't even my favorite to use, I just can't see a character that has a distinct advantage against him, whereas pretty much everyone else has a weakness.

BTW, I would be glad to be set straight on this matter; I don't want to keep thinking this if I'm wrong.
you can cancel pits recovery i think if you just give him a little hit:laugh:

LavianOrlandu

Smash Rookie
When I play Pit, I have a pretty tough time knocking people off of the stage since most of his moves lack a serious amount of knockback. Bair, Fsmash, and Usmash are decent, but that's about it.

SamusLord

Smash Cadet
Not pointing my beam to the back of your head >
I think I'll have a go at a tier list...

===
toon link
Marth

HIGH
===
wolf
fox
falco
Pit
R.O.B
Meta Knight
Olimar
Luigi

High-Mid
=====
Kirby
Zelda
Dedede
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Lucas
Game and Watch
Lucario
Samus

MID
===
Sonic
pikachu
Zamus
Mario
Ness
Link
bowser
Sheik

Mid-Low
=====
Wario
DK
Yoshie
Jigglypuff

LOW
===
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

TheKingofDes

Smash Apprentice

Thats a Personal Opinion

Wolf
Toon Link
Marth
Olimar

High
Mr.Game and Watch
DeDeDe
ROB
Ike
Pit
Falco
Fox
Diddy Kong
Squirtle

Middle
Mario
Metaknight
Kirby
Samus
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Charizard
Snake
Lucas
Wario
Yoshi
Shiek
Jigglypuff
Peach

Low
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Ivysaur
Ness
Pikachu
Luigi

Bottom
Link
Zelda
Captain Falcon
Ganandorf

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
I really dont think pokemon trainer should be seperated
and i also think people are underrating him , alot
He has so much variety its absurd, squirtle is super fast, good range, and his dthrow is a great kill move
ivysoar has tons of range, reovery isnt great , but ground game is awesome
and charizard is just a beast, rock smash can do what. 32%? and he can easily live up to 200% in most matchups, and his fsmash.. my god the range and power is absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom