• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK42_METAKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
Imo Here Is How I Would Put The Tiers As Of Right Now, But These Things Can Change So Much So Fast There Really Isn't A Point In Spending A Lot Of Time Thinking About It Until After A Year Or So And Even Then They Are Still Pretty Pointless.

----top----
Metaknight
Rob
Wolf
Snake
----high----
Falco
Marth
Toon Link
Game & Watch
----upper----
Pit
Fox
Diddy
Zerosuit Samus
----middle-upper----
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Lucario
Mario
Pikachu
Olimar
Dedede
----middle-lower----
Samus
Bowser
Sonic
Ike
Wario
----lower----
Dk
Luigi
Kirby
Lucas
----lower...er?----
Jigglypuff
Link
Peach
Pokemon Trainer
Ness
----bottom----
Zelda
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Yoshi

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing the only actual reason that Yoshi is bottom tier is because there are so few people that play as him, so he isn't much of a threat for tournaments.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
You guys are generally failing. Alot of you are confused about what tiers even are... It is mostly the potential of the character. Ease of use does not factor in the equation as much as you think...I mean even if a character is "easy to use" that just means they can kill easily without too much thought..that ties directly into their KO potential. If a character doesn't have to do much to KO don't you think that's worth mentioning?! Whether it's cheap or not...

And about the Pichu that can eat foxes alive in melee that still doesn't make up for Pichu's horrible moveset and it's weight or the fact that it kills itself while doing lightning attacks. Not to say those are the main contributors to why Pichu was a "bad" character but just letting you know Pichu was bottom more so because of it's potential for survival, KO'ing, recovering, also weight comes into play and whether Pichu was easy to combo or not.

Saying that a Pichu can "eat a fox" alive isn't saying much ....as most foxes were ******** in Melee and depended solely on tech skill...also you may want to consider the fact that most foxes don't usually fight Pichu's on the regular so they would have no idea what to do. Oh and let me not forget that Fox is a fastfaller..he can get combo'd by pretty much anyone..so it really wouldn't surprise me if a semi-decent fox player lost to a random Pichu that knew Fox like the back of his hand...hardly worth mentioning...

I do know that Pichu stands a slim chance against Peach ,Marth, Falco or any other high or top tiers..yet Fox did. So what does that say about Fox? Wouldn't you say he's clearly better than Pichu?! You have to consider these things when generating a tier list. Alot of you guys overlook the simplest things... This is why tier list is left to the backroom :ohwell: although I feel they will really screw it up somehow but it's to be expected...there are gonna be alot of revisions.

Another thing that should be said is that tier lists aren't based on tournies...it's not like that. It's simply this..if a character wins a tournament...the backroom will discuss the videos from the tournament and ask themselves why did this character do so well? They will look closely and study priority, recovery, potential mindgames, the ratio of useful moves to useless moves, so on and so forth. After some discussion and analysis then it's decided if the character moves up, down or stays the same. Tournaments do effect the tier list in the way that it brings recognition to characters that get overlooked in a general aspect. When someone that's specialized in a certain character plays with that character, things are alot different. Your impression of the character is changed. For example Olimar..at first he looks really really dumb but then you play vs a really good Olimar and you see wow this guy has mad priority and great combo ability...plus he can camp like a mofo. You might have overlooked all of these things in your own study of the character. That's why tournaments sort of affect the tier lists.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
You guys are generally failing. Alot of you are confused about what tiers even are... It is mostly the potential of the character. Ease of use does not factor in the equation as much as you think...I mean even if a character is "easy to use" that just means they can kill easily without too much thought..that ties directly into their KO potential. If a character doesn't have to do much to KO don't you think that's worth mentioning?! Whether it's cheap or not...

And about the Pichu that can eat foxes alive in melee that still doesn't make up for Pichu's horrible moveset and it's weight or the fact that it kills itself while doing lightning attacks. Not to say those are the main contributors to why Pichu was a "bad" character but just letting you know Pichu was bottom more so because of it's potential for survival, KO'ing, recovering, also weight comes into play and whether Pichu was easy to combo or not.

Saying that a Pichu can "eat a fox" alive isn't saying much ....as most foxes were ******** in Melee and depended solely on tech skill...also you may want to consider the fact that most foxes don't usually fight Pichu's on the regular so they would have no idea what to do. Oh and let me not forget that Fox is a fastfaller..he can get combo'd by pretty much anyone..so it really wouldn't surprise me if a semi-decent fox player lost to a random Pichu that knew Fox like the back of his hand...hardly worth mentioning...

I do know that Pichu stands a slim chance against Peach ,Marth, Falco or any other high or top tiers..yet Fox did. So what does that say about Fox? Wouldn't you say he's clearly better than Pichu?! You have to consider these things when generating a tier list. Alot of you guys overlook the simplest things... This is why tier list is left to the backroom :ohwell: although I feel they will really screw it up somehow but it's to be expected...there are gonna be alot of revisions.

Another thing that should be said is that tier lists aren't based on tournies...it's not like that. It's simply this..if a character wins a tournament...the backroom will discuss the videos from the tournament and ask themselves why did this character do so well? They will look closely and study priority, recovery, potential mindgames, the ratio of useful moves to useless moves, so on and so forth. After some discussion and analysis then it's decided if the character moves up, down or stays the same. Tournaments do effect the tier list in the way that it brings recognition to characters that get overlooked in a general aspect. When someone that's specialized in a certain character plays with that character, things are alot different. Your impression of the character is changed. For example Olimar..at first he looks really really dumb but then you play vs a really good Olimar and you see wow this guy has mad priority and great combo ability...plus he can camp like a mofo. You might have overlooked all of these things in your own study of the character. That's why tournaments sort of affect the tier lists.
Yea, but Fox isn't easy to use, yet he's the very top of the list. Sheik is very easy to kill with, yet she's only high tier (this is melee I was just talking about ;))

The thing is that the meta game of melee and possibly even brawl are infinitely in-depth, and a good player that knows how to win and just has the sheer ability to use a character and understand what's going on can devise a way to win out of any character. I always thought that Captain Falcon could be top tier if he was used by someone with the best reflexes and understanding how to act in every situation, and I still hold that as true. However, until that moment occurs, Falcon will still be where he is on the tier list. As you said, tiers are influenced by tournament outcomes, because the SBR can look at the matches and determine how well the characters did and why. But I'd say that in that respect, tournaments determine the tier list, because they are the evidence that supports the tier list, as opposed to theory and conjecture, which is what we're doing.

So yea, you're not far ahead of the failure, pal ;)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Silven is correct.

Tournaments don't decide tier list.

Match-ups and potential is what decides them. When a character is seem to have bad match-ups they will be placed in low tier or bottom tier. But if that character wins a tourney it forces people to re-evaluate that character in terms of their match-ups and what they can do.

Maybe they jumped the gun when they said that character had alot of bad match-ups and now they must recconsider.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Tournaments are to tiers as experimentation is to science. They are the observations that prove the existence of more general and in-depth concepts. Without tournaments, tiers would take much longer to formulate, as we would have no way of knowing them explicitly without running "trials" for each of the characters. This does not mean that tiers are dependent on tournaments by any means, only that they are known better through them. Tiers are in fact dependent on those vague and difficult to measure qualities of a character like potential, overall quality of match-ups, and the various stats like range, speed, power, priority, and especially the ultra-vague "potential mindgames". However, since these things are only explicitly known after long periods and of playing and testing a game (the fact that the tiers were still being changed minutely last year because of newly-discovered play styles and techniques is proof to this), tournaments are preferable to get a general idea of what the tiers are.

That being said, I don't think any discussion here will do much yet. We can grasp generally the stats of a character, but comparing them to another character and trying to judge who is better is too difficult to do with words alone and little experience, and over the internet no less. I think we need to wait and see who wins the first couple of high-profile tournaments. The decent-sized regional tournaments are not as definitive as a large one would be, but they are still valuable data.

By the way, Pikachu is really really good now guys, his thunder is too good. I am convinced the developers forgot what they were doing when they made that move.

-notic

Smash Cadet
wtf

snake isn't top tier and neither is metaknight, i haven't seen one decent looking tier list, and 90% of the kids here are idiotic jackwads

thanks for playing

xoxo
Team Prodouche

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Marth I can almost guarantee will be top tier.
In the end, I'm not so sure. In melee, Marth was insane because the key to Marth was spacing, and spacing was key in the entire game due to things in the game engine like dash dancing and wavedashing, which favored faster characters with less traction...not to mention that melee was extremely tech-skill-oriented, so if you were extremely skilled technically, you could beat an incredibly tactic-oriented player who wasn't so technical. In brawl, the general game was slowed down, and the game engine was changed so that a) wavedashing doesn't work, and dash-dancing is very limited and not as effective, and b) there's no l-cancelling to reduce lag, move degradation exists on a significant level, and most characters and their moves can auto-sweetspot the ledge.

Keeping these things in mind, there are two big implications:

1. Compared to melee, Brawl is far less tech-skill-oriented, and far more tactic/mindgames-oriented.

2. Slower characters are viable on a competitive level.

Anyway, back to Marth...he's still very good, we can't deny that, and due to the fact that people are still getting used to the game and are still into the melee mentality, Marth will be in the top tier, if not the top at the moment. "Melee-styled gameplay" isn't bad or anything, but in the Brawl game engine, it's not the only viable method of play.

So, I think for now, the characters at the top of the list will be faster characters that are good at comboing and have good killing methods, like Marth, Toon Link, Meta Knight, and Pikachu. It sounds obvious, but I say it because it won't make as much of a difference later, when people master slower characters with heavy kill moves, or characters that are **** at comboing, but bad at killing. I don't own the game, so I don't know who else would fit in my tier description.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No.

Top tier is people who can camp really well and deal with being camped really well.

Next comes how good thier moves are, how good they are at killing, how fast they rack up damage, etc.

Marth and Meta are bottom of top tier IMO.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Does the Japanese tier list distinguish between characters within the same tier?

In other words, does the fact that the SS tier is listed "Snake, R.O.B., Meta Knight" mean that they believe Snake is the best character overall?

Also, why does Gimpy believe Snake is so broken? I've heard that a good Toon Link is a very tough matchup for him.

Manic_1

Smash Cadet
How many people have actually played more than a few matches with the characters that they are putting at bottom tier?

will388

Smash Cadet
alot of people posting lists clearly have no idea what theyre talking about so i dont see the point in posting at all, maybe its just me...

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Yea, we know guys....some people have no idea what they're talking about. This is why people shouldn't be posting tier lists. But you know what? They're going to anyway, so just make fun of them, or pick a character from the bottom and present them as higher tiered. Preferably the latter.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mine so far (in order of strength)

Top Tier:

Pit
Toon Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Fox
Wolf
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Falco
Squirtle
Marth
Ike

Midtier

ROB
Mario
Luigi
Captain Olimer
Kirby - tougher in this one
Sonic
Peach
Snake
Lucas
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Ivysaurus
Donkey Kong
Charizard
Metaknight
Ness

Low Tier

Link
King DeDeDe
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Wario - terrible recovery
Samus
Pikachu
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
Ganondorf

Although the characters are more competitive top to bottom then in melee, no one is as bad as Pichu or Mewtwo was in Melee. IMO Toon Link has looked like the best character, but there are a lot of characters if used right that could whoop him. Fox is still very good. Diddy Kong plays very similar to the 3 star fox characters.

Updated - Wario is a little better, but still not a great character. Still as I said, the game is very competitive.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Silven is correct.

Tournaments don't decide tier list.

Match-ups and potential is what decides them. When a character is seem to have bad match-ups they will be placed in low tier or bottom tier. But if that character wins a tourney it forces people to re-evaluate that character in terms of their match-ups and what they can do.

Maybe they jumped the gun when they said that character had alot of bad match-ups and now they must recconsider.
Some characters seem to match up better with others, for example Pikachu owned Link, Link was very good against Fox it used right, and Fox owned Pikachu and most of Melee.

Wario has a great recovery, are you insane? You know, you can recover with more than just your up-B. You can drop off one edge of Smashville and grab the ledge of the other side of the stage using a combo of your Bike, regular jumps, and Corkscrew.

The rest of your list seems pretty flawed too. You're severely underestimating some characters in the bottom tier like Dedede and Pikachu.

Now, I wouldn't take my list as gospel, but I've been experimenting, and this is a rough draft of what I think could maybe be CLOSE to a tier list.

Top:

Marth
Snake
Luigi
Toon Link
Falco

High:

Diddy Kong
Pit
Wolf
Fox
King Dedede
Pikmin and Olimar
R.O.B.

High-Middle:

Ike
Meta Knight
Lucas

Middle:

Sonic
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Mr. Game & Watch
Lucario
Ness
Mario
Samus
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Zelda
Wario
Link
Sheik
Bowser

Middle-Low:

Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

Low:

Captain Falcon

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon isn't as bad as people say he is, but it does take a lot of work to use him, just as it did in Melee, except that you don't quite get the benefit. But his recovery isn't gimp considering the floatiness of Brawl, and he still has a lot of killing power. He can gimp people with his stomp, his uair is still really good, and he's fast enough to grab at least sort of like he used to. I'd definitely say that he shouldn't be in a sucky tier all by himself, and I think he should be a bit higher, maybe just a little bit.

WiseWarrior

Smash Cadet
Jiggly and Olimar are advanced characters. They're both in low tier for noobs, but when mastered, they move to Mid-High, and High. As for Captain Falcon, I don't see why everyone put him so low. He seems to me to be really good...of course Toon Link, Marth, Pit, and Wolf are high, and Ike...Ike is broken lol.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I still don't see how people keep putting ICs so low, their grab game and desyncs are OMFG powerful in my opinion. everyone who put them low seriously has to watch the 0-KO combos in my youtube profile by void.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
ITP:

Can you answer my previous question about the Japanese Tier List? My question was whether or not the horizontal position within a tier mattered. I.e. Does the fact that the SS tier is written "Snake, ROB, Meta Knight" mean that they regard Snake as the strongest overall character?

SuicideSquirril

Smash Rookie
Okay, as of yesterday at about four o'clock, I own brawl ( im so happy), and ive been playing my friend who plays ike. we've had the same amount of practice when it comes to smash, he's had brawl slightly longer than I, and i have to question one thing....

HOW THE HELL CAN YOU CALL IKE NOT GOOD?

now, i know my friend has had more time for brawl than me, even though we are even when it comes to skill in almost all smashes, he has had about a day of smashing over me, but still, if you learn how to use ike's redeculous melee range, his power, and his recoverys well, he is a definate high tier character, possibly top. His verticle recovery may be a bit lacking, but his horizontal is godlike, and if anything ike is a real strategy character, and is not played well without it. If he is played with strategy however, he is above and beyond, with all due respect, anyone who doubts ike's potential is not bieng wary enough.

P.S.sorry about the spelling errors

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
i honestly have to ask what's going through the heads of people who put pokemon trainer below high tier. have you even played as him? for more than a few matches?

squirtle is a freaking combo beast with a move that makes him invincible for as long as he's using it... it's crazy. his only real weakness is low weight.

ivysaur has range range range, an upsmash that counts as one of the most powerful moves in the game (and has enough range to tag someone on a platform above you...), and a handful of incredibly abusable moves - nair to bullet seed is the new dair to waveshine.

charizard has fantastic range as well (although without ivy's disjointed hitboxes), great speed on his tilts, and a RIDICULOUS amount of power. just ridiculous. try wavebouncing a rocksmash sometime. ~40% damage if you hit them squarely, fairly safe from punishment if you don't.

pokemon trainer is not a low tier character. pokemon trainer is a great character. his biggest problem, overall, is the fact that you don't have all of your abilities open to you all the time, but trust me, each pokemon is a complete character. you don't need to switch every 30 seconds.

not that i'm a pokemon trainer fanboy (i knew before the game came out that i was going to main snake), but seeing all these tier lists with pokemon trainer down in the lower half with bowser and dk is just stupid.

XHMI

Smash Rookie
I Have A Hypothesis

Level 9 computers are the Strongest computers possible
while they don't neccisarily know how to Combo, or perform complicated moves that we gamers know are built to kill, they do have super human reflexes in sheilding, dodging, and attacking.

This Said, shoudn't any computer that beats one of a diffrent character consecutivley be counted as a higher tier than that one

In this case, what should be done is this

set up multiple matches that pit every character against the others

those characters that win a high percentage of the matches can be considered the highest tiers,

those that consecutivley lose can be considered the lower tier members

when this Is all said and done, we can test it. for instance, if Mario seems to win more than Link, then we can pit the two together in a one on one, and check "In every ten battles between Lvl9 Mario and Lvl9 link, How many times does Mario win"
If Mario wins +51% of the time, then the list must work

Once again, this is just a hypothesis
and also, I don't actually think that Mario beats link most of the time

i honestly have to ask what's going through the heads of people who put pokemon trainer below high tier. have you even played as him? for more than a few matches?

squirtle is a freaking combo beast with a move that makes him invincible for as long as he's using it... it's crazy. his only real weakness is low weight.

ivysaur has range range range, an upsmash that counts as one of the most powerful moves in the game (and has enough range to tag someone on a platform above you...), and a handful of incredibly abusable moves - nair to bullet seed is the new dair to waveshine.

charizard has fantastic range as well (although without ivy's disjointed hitboxes), great speed on his tilts, and a RIDICULOUS amount of power. just ridiculous. try wavebouncing a rocksmash sometime. ~40% damage if you hit them squarely, fairly safe from punishment if you don't.

pokemon trainer is not a low tier character. pokemon trainer is a great character. his biggest problem, overall, is the fact that you don't have all of your abilities open to you all the time, but trust me, each pokemon is a complete character. you don't need to switch every 30 seconds.

not that i'm a pokemon trainer fanboy (i knew before the game came out that i was going to main snake), but seeing all these tier lists with pokemon trainer down in the lower half with bowser and dk is just stupid.
This is true. I had some severe second thoughts about putting him in Middle Tier. I need to experiment with him a bit more, I don't think I've been thorough enough with each Pokemon.

Yoshiman47

Smash Rookie
Now, I wouldn't take my list as gospel, but I've been experimenting, and this is a rough draft of what I think could maybe be CLOSE to a tier list.

Top:

Marth
Snake
Luigi
Toon Link
Falco

High:

Diddy Kong
Pit
Wolf
Fox
King Dedede
Pikmin and Olimar
R.O.B.

High-Middle:

Ike
Meta Knight
Lucas

Middle:

Sonic
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Mr. Game & Watch
Lucario
Ness
Mario
Samus
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Zelda
Wario
Link
Sheik
Bowser

Middle-Low:

Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

Low:

Captain Falcon
Wow, I couldent disagree more...

Heres mine

Top:

Marth
Wolf
Toon link
Captain falcon(Big disagreement)
Diddykong

High:

Snake(He would be top, but he doesn't have good enough defense.)
Lucario
King dedede
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Peach
Falco
sonic

High-middle:

Rob
Ness
Pokemon trainer
Link
mario

Middle:

Bowser
Fox
Ike
Meta Knight
Zelda and sheik
samus
Pit
Ice climbers
luigi

Middle-low

pikachu
wario
Donkeykong
kirby
Yoshi
Mr.game and watch

low:

gannondorf
Olimar

The three things that amazed me most(in a bad way) was jigglypuffs, captain falcons and luigi's spot

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Can random noobs stop posting their arbitrary tier lists which make no sense and provide no rationale

PerpetualDusk

Smash Rookie
Here is my tier list which I don't outright claim to be the definitive hierarchy of Brawl, because that would be a little too self-important to be accepted by all the other pompous, misinformed tier makers who think they know anything about game-play mechanics or character potential because they pre-ordered the game and stood in line for twenty minutes, thus making them a die-hard fan and therefore somehow reputable, but which I'm pretty sure is fairly accurate and isn't just me jumping on the "let's make a potential tier list because anybody cares" bandwagon. By saying this the people who actually know what they're doing hopefully won't attack me for my lack of respectable opinions.

HIGH TIER
The characters which I play with and therefore must be good because I have an unbiased opinion of the handful of characters that I exclusively play with.

MIDDLE TIER
The characters which my friends use and sometimes beat me with (almost always flukes or I accidentally killed myself, so it doesn't count) who I must therefore begrudgingly acknowledge to have some degree of notability.

LOW TIER
The characters which me and my friends never use because they didn't immediately appeal to us, which means they suck. Nevermind the fact that many of the characters on this list often have moves or abilities that are generally regarded by the Smash community as very useful and powerful, or that other people with more than two neurons in their brains have made more coherent, and flexible tier lists which back up their claims with character analysis, the fact that I personally do not see anything special with these characters warrants their designation as horrible (because the people who spent years programming the game were inept enough to create a character that is outright bad).

By the way, I was being sarcastic.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Now I am NOT going to put characters into a specific order because I am not sure about that, but simply state where some characters might fall into on a tier list.

High
Lucas(I think he is nintendos way of saying "sorry we nerfed the hell out of ness in melee")
G&W(SO INCREDIBLY BUFFED)
Wolf
Pit(I really hate pit.....)
Toon Link

Mid-High
Ike
Snake
Marth
FOx
Falco
DDD
Meta knight(would be be top but just has nooooooo killing moves)

Middle

everyone except those I state below

Low

Ganon(he was my main in melee, but now...he just sucks)
Lucario(so INSANELY weak)
Sonic(all he does is roll...)

I would like to state something too. A tier list is based on a character at their META GAME. That means the best they are. So your friend plays a really good Falco. YEah he is really really good with him. But unfortunately a toon link at its meta could beat you. Anyone top played at their best can beat anyone playing a lower tier character at their best basically because the character they are using has alot more things that can be done rather than a character that does'nt have much to them and once mastered they still cant hold up to a higher tier character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom