• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Is the general consensus that Bowser is relatively high up in mid, and that Sonic doesn't suck? Just wondering who I have to troll next =3

The key to trolling is to troll with the truth :chuckle:
No. Bowser is in low/bottom same with Sonic. And Sonic sucks.

^^^^General Consensus ^^^^^^^^^^

Dont make dumb arguments, the tourney results are backing me up.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
woah, woah, when did bowser get past low tier?? I haven't been following this discussion much at all, so somebody please explain. Also, why is DK so high up? Is it his tilt range?
DK is good b/c he's the only char, who's good against Snake and MK at the same time. Heavy, powerful, decent rane, **** tilts, ...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No. Bowser is in low/bottom same with Sonic. And Sonic sucks.

^^^^General Consensus ^^^^^^^^^^

Dont make dumb arguments, the tourney results are backing me up.

Pity the general consensus usually fall upon such arguments as Sonic has no approach.
Sonic has no priroity therefore he can't rack up damage yada yada yada.

Tourney results do not back you up since sonic has won 3 tournaments though currently he is doing poorly since he's only placed top eight twice.

Which is expected considering he, like Bowser is rather underused.

That and the matchups thread show that Sonic is definitely not low or bottom tier material.

Bowser on the other hand...

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice
Well, I tend not to argue tiers on tourney results, which isn't the easiest thing to do. But obviously the problem with tourney results is that it depends on how popular characters are with the better players.

I'm almost certain that gimpyfish is gonna bring Bowser up to mid tier if he starts using him, because Bowser has a great deal running from him (lmao, I meant running for him.....wow, what a typo XD), and a lot of matchups that people consider bad are actually neutral or in Bowser's favor, as me and Viers established a while back.

On the other hand, Sonic also has a lot going for him, although not as much as Bowser. His recovery is insane, and his ground speed gives him a decent ground approach. Sure, it's hindered by bad priority, but his general speed makes his grabbing a lot easier. This is ignoring the fact that he can tech/roll chase a lot of characters with dthrow, which adds another level of awesome to Sonic. Also, considering his running speed on the ground, and also that his upB shoots him up very quickly in the air, he does cover a lot of space when he's on the ground, although it's screwed with by the fact that his priority is bad.

All in all, given good players, Bowser will be at least mid. Sonic probably won't be as high as Bowser, but probably top of low, or bottom of mid. Neither of them are anywhere near bad enough to be in bottom tier, Bowser's actually really good, and Sonic's got some things going for him.

If any of you are in Boston, I like playing people with either character, especially doubters.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Kaizo just to correct a few things.

Sonic has spinshotting to also cover alot of area while int he air and his priority isn't as bad originally thought.

Sonic's Fair breaks MK's side B and MK's tornado.
Uair breaks alot of Dair's due to its range.
Bair is poor'Dair is poor
Nair is good only when initially used.

Ground wise
Ftilt has good range comparable to an Fsmash from Marth
Dtilt is meh
Utilt has little range but the priority is somewhat decent (mainly since i rarely use it so I haven't seen how much priority it has compared to other moves)

Fsmash has priority around the fist (I am not sure if its disjointed or not )
Usmash has disjointed hitboxes.
Dsmash can break MK's tornado and a few other Dsmashes (testing to find out)

Granted Sonic does have low priority but its not as bad as people think it to be.
Granted he won't be taking on Luigi, MK or Falco head to head but honestly who does?
I doubt anyone short of Ike would try to clash MK's attacks even if they did have the priority to do so.

Blargh I kinda wish Snake and MK weren't so dominate and popular, (seriously 600+ points over everyone else is a bit much).

Its been a bit easier for ROB, pikachu and DK since they are known to have good matchups with the two top tiers but otherwise everyone else gets ignored.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Pity the general consensus usually fall upon such arguments as Sonic has no approach.
Sonic has no priroity therefore he can't rack up damage yada yada yada.

Tourney results do not back you up since sonic has won 3 tournaments though currently he is doing poorly since he's only placed top eight twice.

Which is expected considering he, like Bowser is rather underused.

That and the matchups thread show that Sonic is definitely not low or bottom tier material.

Bowser on the other hand...
It wouldn't matter if a character didn't win a lot if they didn't try a lot too. I think the reason why Sonic does bad on tiers because I think a lot of people play him (He's Sonic >_>) but no one places with him. If Snake makes top 8 90/100 times and Sonic does it 11/100, then it's obvious that Sonic is significantly worse than him (Example, not real numbers). So even if he's an OK character, his failure rate should be considered.

In addition to that, you have the situation you are talking about. He can't do damage and he has only one real kill move and, ironically, it's slow. So he's also just a bad character.

Last, that matchups thread isn't the end-all be-all of character matchups. Neither was Phanna's Melee one.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Kaizo, Gimpy does not like Brawl and it is doubtable that he will play it competetively. Plus, I reckon he would play Metaknight if he joined Brawl like he did earlier.

Sorry to bring this up again but would Kirby be in the bottom of high tier or high-Mid tier? Kirby's tourney results are decent for a supposed mid tier character.

Edit: At Coreygames: Is that SA-X in your avatar? If it is, is it a custom avy? Just wondering.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It wouldn't matter if a character didn't win a lot if they didn't try a lot too. I think the reason why Sonic does bad on tiers because I think a lot of people play him (He's Sonic >_>) but no one places with him. If Snake makes top 8 90/100 times and Sonic does it 11/100, then it's obvious that Sonic is significantly worse than him (Example, not real numbers). So even if he's an OK character, his failure rate should be considered.
*facepalm*

NO!
Seriously why do people get that idea?
Despite what people think Sonic is NOT, I repeat NOT a popular character at all.
Otherwise he would actually be placing better than he does now.
Sonic is very underplayed in the tournament scene.
yes some areas have a concentration of Sonic users but the actual amount of Sonic users in a tournament is low.
In addition to that, you have the situation you are talking about. He can't do damage and he has only one real kill move and, ironically, it's slow. So he's also just a bad character.
1. He racks up damage quite quickly.
2. He has 4 kill moves. F smash, Dsmash, Uair, Bair.
Last I checked the actual speed of his Fsmash was the sam speed as that of Yoshi's Fsmash.
Dsmash is below average but stays out some time and breaks alot of moves.
Uair is quick. has alot of range and is easy to set up.
Bair is quite easy to set up as well.
Last, that matchups thread isn't the end-all be-all of character matchups. Neither was Phanna's Melee one.
Of course not but its a heck of alot more accurate than what people used to think.

i.e. Ganaondorf matchup thread: Sonic isn't tough at all, you can stop his approaches with a jab.

Now go look at it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok, even if his tournament play is low, his standings are also still though. He doesn't place well and that has to be taken into consideration.

Comparing a move to one of Yoshi's is a bad idea >_> Just FYI.
I've never been killed by anything of Sonic's aside from his Fsmash. Everything else you said just never happens, at least to me.

I doubt the character matchup is accurate at all.

Lastly, I don't find Sonic to be a problem at all because I play Pit. Why? Pit's arrows seem to cancel out almost every move Sonic does. I think the only ones not affected are the down smash and up B. I can cancel him out of almost any move. And the arrows don't have much priority at all, which leads me to believe that Sonic is very low on priority.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Except he has placed well in the past.

3 tourney wins and a few top eight.
However most of tthese wins took place roughly around the middle and end of spring season.

So probably I think Sonic will rise later on in the summer season.

yoshi's Fsmash is actually average on speed, shall I compare it to Samus/Pit/MK's?
Cause MK has range and it comes out just as quickly as Sonic's does.
Slow start up, quick attack, little cooldown time.
Yoshi was the first to come to mind.

If you never got killed by anything than a Sonic Fsmash. Theny ou are facing a bad Sonic.

You play Pit?
Arrows don't mean anything to sonic.

Lets start with his ground moves.
Jab=clank
Ftilt=breaks arrows
Utilt=clank
Dtilt= unknown.
Usmash=breaks arrows
Fsmash=clanks
Dsmash=broken arrows

Aerially

Fair=breaks arrows
Uair=breaks arrows
Dair=breaks arrows
Bair=clanks
Nair=breaks arrows.

Specials:
Neutral B= arrows pierce through
side B=arrows are broken
down B=arrows either clank or are broken (unstable relationship)
^B=arrows pass through.

Most likely you are hitting whoever you played OUTSIDE the hitbox.
Even then as a Pit if you are facing a good Sonic user you shouldn't even be getting the chance to fire many arrows.
The fact that you've only gotten killed by a Sonic's Fsmash alone proves the quality of the opponent you are facing.

Edit: I forgot the specials.

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice
Kaizo just to correct a few things.

Sonic has spinshotting to also cover alot of area while int he air and his priority isn't as bad originally thought.

Sonic's Fair breaks MK's side B and MK's tornado.
Uair breaks alot of Dair's due to its range.
Bair is poor'Dair is poor
Nair is good only when initially used.

Ground wise
Ftilt has good range comparable to an Fsmash from Marth
Dtilt is meh
Utilt has little range but the priority is somewhat decent (mainly since i rarely use it so I haven't seen how much priority it has compared to other moves)

Fsmash has priority around the fist (I am not sure if its disjointed or not )
Usmash has disjointed hitboxes.
Dsmash can break MK's tornado and a few other Dsmashes (testing to find out)

Granted Sonic does have low priority but its not as bad as people think it to be.
Granted he won't be taking on Luigi, MK or Falco head to head but honestly who does?
I doubt anyone short of Ike would try to clash MK's attacks even if they did have the priority to do so.

Blargh I kinda wish Snake and MK weren't so dominate and popular, (seriously 600+ points over everyone else is a bit much).

Its been a bit easier for ROB, pikachu and DK since they are known to have good matchups with the two top tiers but otherwise everyone else gets ignored.
Well, it makes sense that he has more priority than previously thought, since I can actually use him and not get ****stomped. My friend was so annoyed the other day, cuz he was DK, and I kept getting a quick attack off on his shield, spot dodging his attacks (all of them, including, like, ftilt) and then grabbing him =3 he was so pissed....I think he still won, but it was hilarious to behold, and a good match.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yeah DK has an advantage over Sonic. But its not as bad as Luigi.

Seriously Luigi is the worst, for some odd reason his fireballs act really unstable when it comes ot spindashing and charging.
Charging clanks.
dashing during the invincibility frames either I go through or I get hit. Its confusing. MOre often than not I get hit, even when its done the exact same way as last time. ARGH!

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
Guys, im not an anti-tier dude but i think this game is too balanced to have real and accurate tier list no matter how much times a character wins a tournament. You should make player rankings instead of chars rankings because a really good player could beat anyone no matter how godly the char is or how developed its metagame is.

i cant understand why so many smash players are obsessed with making a brawl tier list!

look at this thread guys... it has 10573 posts!!!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Guys, im not an anti-tier dude but i think this game is too balanced to have real and accurate tier list no matter how much times a character wins a tournament. You should make player rankings instead of chars rankings because a really good player could beat anyone no matter how godly the char is or how developed its metagame is.

i cant understand why so many smash players are obsessed with making a brawl tier list!

look at this thread guys... it has 10573 posts!!!
Aww, come on, man. Statements like that have been proven wrong so many times. Look at the tourney results. If the top 10 contains 8 times Snake, any idiot can tell that this game isn't balanced and that tiers do exist no matter how much skill does matter

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
tomraven, in any game where there is a difference between characters a tier list will always exist.

That and Melee is more balanced than brawl.
It is most applicable at a high level of play so if you play casually it does not affect you.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Shadowlink, you do realize that tourney results are more accurate the more recent they are due to an ever-changing metagame, correct?

Thus, Sonic's old placings mean little to nothing.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
how could you say that melee is more balanced than brawl???
melee only had 5 or 6 chars out of the 25 chars that where good enought for competitive playing... in brawl almost all characters are.
Because now you can air dodge more freely, the physics have changed to a slower mode and theres no character that has a huge advantage against others like fox or falco had in melee

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice
inb4flame

That's not why Brawl is more balanced than Melee, btw. I think you're right, it's just that you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
Im guessing it wouldnt be a good idea to randomly post a tier list right now ;>_>

Anyway, Sonic seems like high low tier, with link and bowser and such

Shears

Smash Master
This is my opinion, dont be a *** and flame me because you dont agree

Snake
Metaknight

High
Dedede
Mr. Game and Watch
Falco
ROB
Marth
Toon Link
Wario

Upper Mid
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Wolf
Kirby
Pikachu
Diddy Kong

Mid
Lucario
Luigi
Fox
Lucas
Sheik
Olimar

Lower Mid
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Ness
Link
Pokemon Trainer
Ike

Low
Mario
Bowser
Yoshi
Peach
Samus
Sonic
Jigglypuff

Bottom
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Shadowlink, you do realize that tourney results are more accurate the more recent they are due to an ever-changing metagame, correct?

Thus, Sonic's old placings mean little to nothing.
About sonic's placing yes my mistake I keep thinking his 3 tournament wins and what not are still on the chart, my mistake.

I disagree with hat you said about it being accurate to the metagame.
For those who haven't been looking at the tournament raking lists the following represents the amount of points attributed to each character based on how wellt hey have been doing in tournaments.
DETAILS
S Rank (378-?? pts) <Uber>
1 Snake (16 top8, 15 top4, 7 top2, 10 wins) - 679.55625
2 Meta Knight (15 top8, 10 top4, 11 top2, 6 wins) - 468.64375

A Rank (165-378 pts) <Overused>
3 King Dedede (12 top8, 6 top4, 5 top2, 5 wins) - 303.16875 - 4
4 ROB (13 top8, 10 top4, 2 top2, 4 wins) - 191.815 - 5
5 Marth (8 top8, 7 top4, 4 wins) - 187.54375 - 9
6 Olimar (5 top8, 6 top4, 3 top2, 3 wins) - 168.2125

B Rank (94-165 pts) <Standard>
7 Falco (8 top8, 3 top4, 2 top2, 2 wins) - 160.15625 - 3
8 Mr. Game & Watch (6 top8, 6 top4, 3 top2, 1 win) - 153.56875 - 10
9 Wario (10 top8, 6 top4, 4 wins) - 145.425 - 7
10 Lucario (7 top8, 2 top4, 2 top2, 3 wins) - 112.04375 - 8
11 Wolf (9 top8, 1 top4, 2 wins) - 99.275 - 16

C Rank (22-94 pts) <Borderline>
12 Pit (4 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 86.725 - 11
13 Donkey Kong (2 top8, 4 top4, 3 wins) - 76.80625 - 12
14 Fox (3 top8, 2 wins) - 73.2375 - 13
15 Kirby (2 top8, 2 top4, 1 top2, 1 win) - 60
16 Ice Climbers (2 top8, 3 top4, 1 top2) - 49 - 14
17 Ness (1 top8, 1 win) - 34.875
18 Diddy Kong (6 top8, 2 top4) - 29.075 - 19
19 Luigi (1 top8, 1 top2) - 27.125 - 28
20 Peach (4 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2) - 22.84375 - 29

D Rank (12-22 pts) <Underused>
21 Zelda (5 top8, 1 top4) - 21.225
22 Zero Suit Samus (1 top8, 2 top4) - 18.35 - 27
23 Bowser (1 top8, 1 top2) - 16.25 - 32
24 Samus (2 top8, 1 top4) - 15.1875 - 18
25 Pikachu (1 top8, 1 top4, 1 win) - 13.8125
26 Jigglypuff (1 top8, 1 top4) - 12.25 - 33
27 Ike (3 top8, 1 top2) - 12 - 17

E Rank (0-12 pts) <Never Used>
28 Lucas (2 top8, 1 top4) - 8.1875 - 30
29 Pokémon Trainer (1 top4) - 8 - 20
30 Sonic (2 top8) - 7.1875 - 24
31 Ganondorf (1 top4) - 6 - 22
32 Toon Link (2 top8) - 4.625 - 23
33 Mario (1 top8) - 2.8125 - 26
34 Sheik (1 top8) - 1.875 - 31
35 Captain Falcon (1 top8) - 1 - 34
The main reason I don't think its accurate is due to B rank and down. Things appeared to be a bit muddled and while some characters have been expected to do somewhat in the middle we see characters whom we know to be better falling below.

Granted top tier and high tier characters have always been the most easily defined (since they do very well and often compete with each other) but part of B rank and down seems to be a bit muddled

Especially E and D rank where we are seeing characters such as Sheik and TLink all the way in the bottom.

I do think it has gotten more accurate from A rank to S rank but below I think things have gotten inaccurate but thats just my opinion on the state of things.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Here's my opinion

Top:

Snake
MK

High:

Game and Watch
ROB
Marth
King Dedede
Falco
Wario

Upper-Mid:

Donkey Kong
Olimar
Wolf
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Mid

Toon Link
Pikachu
Pit
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Diddy Kong
Fox

Lower-Mid:

Luigi
Lucas
Sheik
Sonic
Ike
Mario
Peach

Low:

Ness
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Yoshi
Link
Ganondorf
Samus

Bottom:

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Upper, mid, lower were divided to make it easier to read because the mid tier is huge.

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
Granted top tier and high tier characters have always been the most easily defined (since they do very well and often compete with each other) but part of B rank and down seems to be a bit muddled

Especially E and D rank where we are seeing characters such as Sheik and TLink all the way in the bottom.

I do think it has gotten more accurate from A rank to S rank but below I think things have gotten inaccurate but thats just my opinion on the state of things.
C rank seems kinda acurate aswell >_>
*flees*

peeup

Smash Lord
@Rapid Assassain:

I almost completely agree with your list, but I do have a few suggestions. Ganon is the worst in the game matchup wise I think he should be the top of the bottom tier. Pikachu should be higher, and maybe TL too. Other than that, bravo.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
@Rapid Assassain:

I almost completely agree with your list, but I do have a few suggestions. Ganon is the worst in the game matchup wise I think he should be the top of the bottom tier. Pikachu should be higher, and maybe TL too. Other than that, bravo.
If you're basing it off of that matchup chart, then I'd disagree. He can at least get low% kills, making him playable. Pika/TL could get bumped up a little, but I can't think of anyone who'd need to be bumped down for that to happen.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I think you could bump Zelda and probably IC's down. Might want to bump Pit up as well, he seems a little low. I'm going to keep saying this, but I think the 6 tier system is the best for Brawl as far as dividing characters up by tournament viability. Why did you chose to use 7 tiers?

Timbers

check me out
Well that's well and fine about Snake not being able to approach, but what about someone snake dashing back and forth? If you try and grab them, you're looking at a mortar to the skull, and if you hit them, depending on the attack, they can cancel each other out.
Except no. Snake's boost smash has such terrible priority. I don't know why people even consider this as a viable option to approach against projectile camping. You're going to ALWAYS lose or clank with that projectile. And most projectiles are able to be spammed more than his boost smash. In that sense, it's just easier to powershield your way through. Also Lucario's auraspheres gain an insane amount of priority larger they are. I can't give you statistics, but I'm sure a fully charged 0% sphere will outprioritize the boost smash. Making it a stupid option to simply spam back and forth.
I do like this list. I personally feel like Olimar, Zelda, and ICs could move down a bit in the list, and Luigi move up. I wouldn't know how to exactly rearrange it, though.

Snake
MK

High:

Game and Watch
ROB
Marth
King Dedede
Falco
Wario

Upper-Mid:

Donkey Kong
Wolf
Lucario
Toon Link
Olimar
Pikachu

Mid

Pit
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Kirby
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Diddy Kong

Lower-Mid:

Fox
Lucas
Sheik
Sonic
Ike
Mario
Peach

Low:

Ness
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Yoshi
Link
Ganondorf
Samus

Bottom:

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Or something like that.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I think you could bump Zelda and probably IC's down. Might want to bump Pit up as well, he seems a little low. I'm going to keep saying this, but I think the 6 tier system is the best for Brawl as far as dividing characters up by tournament viability. Why did you chose to use 7 tiers?
Upper-mid, mid, and lower-mid are the same tier (middle). I separated them to make it easier to read. It's basically 5 tiers if you're looking at tournament viability.

Top:

Snake
MK

High:

Game and Watch
ROB
Marth
King Dedede
Falco
Wario

Upper-Mid:

Donkey Kong
Olimar
Wolf
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Mid

Toon Link
Pikachu
Pit
Kirby
Zero Suit Samus
Diddy Kong
Fox

Lower-Mid:

Luigi
Lucas
Sheik
Sonic
Ike
Mario
Peach

Low:

Ness
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Yoshi
Link
Ganondorf
Samus

Bottom:

Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

Upper, mid, lower were divided to make it easier to read because the mid tier is huge.
Not bad at all, and considering you've probably had plently of tournament experiance I can see where your coming from on certain characters. The only thing I'd question is maybe renaming, but that's completely up to you.

Shears

Smash Master
his tourney results just dont warrant high tier. he's prolly upper mid.. max
true and i havent played too many great toon links to prove him at high tier, however i included him high tier because i played one toon link that was extremely good. with his incredible camping game and this kids play style i see toon link high tier, its just i havent seen anyone play him the way this kid did and thats why he hasnt had much tournament success and recognition. down the line i can see more and more toon links playing like this and showing up in the finals of tourneys. i also looked in the toon link boards and on youtube and havent seen any other toon links play like this kid and thats why i think people arent giving toon link credit because no one is playing him the way hes supposed to be played. this kid hasnt been to any tourneys, hes been training on his own. hes probably going to make an appearance soon so well see how he fairs outside of his group of friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom