• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
You know what I don't understand?
People rate Yoshi at bottom because he does badly at tournaments. That's good reasoning, I understand that. But seriously, why isn't Link getting rated lower too?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Because he can at least theoretically do well (Though, I don't really see it myself). Yoshi has nothing to be honest.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Well, yeah, everybody can do well theoretically. Link can't spam his projectiles, is slow and laggy, and probably has a worse recovery than Ivysaur. If he has something really going for him besides his dair, I don't know what it is.
I'll spare you a Yoshi rant, since you probably don't care.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I thought link was getting rated near the bottom by most ppl. Maybe not the absolute bottom like CF and Yoshi, but it seems to go Link>Jiggs>Yoshi>CF a lot

You know what I don't understand?
People rate Yoshi at bottom because he does badly at tournaments. That's good reasoning, I understand that. But seriously, why isn't Link getting rated lower too?
Because he can camp, that's automatically a few advantegeous matchups for him.

Better matchups, and IMO better overall potential push him over the likes of CF and Jiggs.

I'm gonna go against the flow and get flamed for the next three pages but... Captain Falcon is not the worst in the game, perhaps underplayed at Tourney's? Yeah, low priority, but he's still quick with good moves and reasonable power. He's not great at anything, but good at almost everything. Captain Falcon for Average Joe tier. Just learn to dodge and counter.

Besides, he wears pink leather.

I'm gonna go against the flow and get flamed for the next three pages but... Captain Falcon is not the worst in the game, perhaps underplayed at Tourney's? Yeah, low priority, but he's still quick with good moves and reasonable power. He's not great at anything, but good at almost everything. Captain Falcon for Average Joe tier. Just learn to dodge and counter.

Besides, he wears pink leather.
Moves with reasonable power that have unusally large amounts of lag? Also, the Falcon is underplayed card doesn't work anymore, people are basicially doing their ****dest to move Falcon up in tournament results, and sadly it's actually starting to work considering they heavily outclass other players at said tournament. He's horrible at basicially anything he does aside from Running, and we all know that Run speed means jack ****. Bad Priority, Horrible range, Laggy KO moves, easy to gimp you name it.

Falcon is the worst character in the game, he may not be at the very bottom of the Tier list when all is said and done due to a spike in tournament results, but granted as a character he is still very bad.

Sure, his FALCON PAUNCH is laggy, but it always has been, and he was awesome before. It has good pay off, and the rest of his moves are actually relatively quick. Plus it's not his primary KO move. He can spike, edge gaurd, and 'combo' effectively in the hands of a good player.

I'm not arguing he isn't bad, he's bad, but not bad for being bad. Know what I mean? Lol. I think he has potential for a bad character, that other bad characters don't. Then again I've been watching Champ vids.

Sure, his FALCON PAUNCH is laggy, but it always has been, and he was awesome before. It has good pay off, and the rest of his moves are actually relatively quick. Plus it's not his primary KO move. He can spike, edge gaurd, and 'combo' effectively in the hands of a good player.

I'm not arguing he isn't bad, he's bad, but not bad for being bad. Know what I mean? Lol. I think he has potential for a bad character, that other bad characters don't. Then again I've been watching Champ vids.
Just about every character in the game can Spike and Edgeguard, and Falcon cannot "Combo" no characters in Brawl can lol.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well, yeah, everybody can do well theoretically. Link can't spam his projectiles, is slow and laggy, and probably has a worse recovery than Ivysaur. If he has something really going for him besides his dair, I don't know what it is.
I'll spare you a Yoshi rant, since you probably don't care.
He can arrow cancel.
Hold the bombs while smashing then chuck the bomb after wards.

Boomerang has interesting properties both offensive and defensive wise. (seriously have you ever pulled someone with aboomerang and Dsmashed them TWICE!? Doesn't happen often but its still a treat to see)

His hookshot(while not nearly as long as Samus') is still quite useful and sets up for a bomb or DAC or regular hypen smash.

He has arguably the 2nd best DAC and it works well.

He has 3 lagless aerials. He fastfalls quickly so he can use his aerial quickly.
He has a good defensive game and while it isn't spammy, is still quite versatile.

He has good priority to his moves.

He can kill early with his moves and is adept at keeping opponents away from him.

his recovery is what hurts him most though and so he can't camp like Tl does and stay near the edge since if the opponent gets close, there isn't much he can do.
He really is a character that has to maintain spacing otherwise he would get boned.

he is low tier material not bottom.

Nair is less useful this time around.
Fair can't sweetspot easily .
Dair is not as useful since the spiking needs to be sweetspotted.
He gets camped easily.
His grabs don't lead into alot of combos before.

He is a melee character in a Brawl game which is a bad mix.

Simply because he lost everything that melee gave him that made him a high tier character.
He's just bad.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Nah, he's laggy all around for what he does. They just don't have enough pay-off for what they do.

And he doesn't have the range or priority to have a decent shock in actually landing the vast majority of those moves... no, he's REALLY bad.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Nah, he's laggy all around for what he does. They just don't have enough pay-off for what they do.

And he doesn't have the range or priority to have a decent shock in actually landing the vast majority of those moves... no, he's REALLY bad.
i think its more or less his smashes that are laggy, his tilts and arials are just fine, my friend surprisingly plays a mean falcon in brawl, but he doesnt rely on smashes for kill moves, its mostly Uair Bair and Dair spikes, and it seems to work quite well, but yeah...he's still bad lol.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Question: Where would DeDeDe be on the tier list without his chain grab? I've started to wonder this.
I've always wondered about that.

C.Falcon is one of the worst(probably worst) character in the game, but I enjoy playing with him. Basically all of the good melee chars. Samus/Jiggly/Falcon etc. have been nerfed. some not that bad and are usuable(Fox) and some that are very bad(Jiggly/Falcon)

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
He can arrow cancel.
Hold the bombs while smashing then chuck the bomb after wards.

Boomerang has interesting properties both offensive and defensive wise. (seriously have you ever pulled someone with aboomerang and Dsmashed them TWICE!? Doesn't happen often but its still a treat to see)

His hookshot(while not nearly as long as Samus') is still quite useful and sets up for a bomb or DAC or regular hypen smash.

He has arguably the 2nd best DAC and it works well.

He has 3 lagless aerials. He fastfalls quickly so he can use his aerial quickly.
He has a good defensive game and while it isn't spammy, is still quite versatile.

He has good priority to his moves.

He can kill early with his moves and is adept at keeping opponents away from him.

his recovery is what hurts him most though and so he can't camp like Tl does and stay near the edge since if the opponent gets close, there isn't much he can do.
He really is a character that has to maintain spacing otherwise he would get boned.

he is low tier material not bottom.
(insert obligatory "Yoshi cans waivdash11111" statement here)
I'm aware of Link's various AT's/glitches but I'm not that sure that they affect the game very much. Zair does damage, sure, but it has so little hitstun (even for Brawl) that it's basically like tickling the opponent.
Boomerangs have mindgame potential, true. But most characters have time to react before it starts working its way back.
Personally, I don't see any troubles with approaching Link. His bombs are his most versatile projectile but can be canceled by other projectiles. Many characters can outspam him or simply avoid him, since his projectiles don't even go that far (except arrows, which can be spotdodged or airdodged easily).
He has a lot of KO moves and KO potential, it's true. But a character that gets up in his face will most likely do more damage than he will simply because a lot of his options are laggy.
His recovery, like you said, is terrible. Combined with the fact that he's easier to actually get off the stage than, for example, Olimar, that puts him in a pretty rough spot. Bottom line: he has to stay away from the edges in order to avoid risks of dying, and that makes his keep-away game severely hindered.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Guys I think Snake should be top tier. His smashes are kind of slow but if you hit with them they're really good. Also Meta-Knight should be middle because he can't kill people very well but his tornado move is a really good move.

Snail

Smash Lord
Guys I think Snake should be top tier. His smashes are kind of slow but if you hit with them they're really good. Also Meta-Knight should be middle because he can't kill people very well but his tornado move is a really good move.
I think the general consensus is that Snake is the best character in the game as of now. So yeah, he's up there.

Wait, is this a joke? XD (@MK comment)

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
With this and your ZSS bullspit, you've officially confirmed that you know less than nothing about Brawl.
Look at the main buddy, think I'd competively main someone with no chance of winning? The Fox thing was a joke...who states "for bottom tier"? I was mocking those who think Fox sucks as well as those who say their character for top tier...clearly my humor is off today. Regardless...

I stand by my stance that Zero is one of the best characters in the game.

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
I think Metroid should be top tier, her charge lazer is really gewd

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'd say that DeDeDe would be at low of high tier or high of middle or high of upper middle, if his original placement would be high of high tier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok17
And a question because I can't find any about this... Does Marth have any ATs? (excluding Ken Combo or SH or Spiking if those count, and excluding that Pivot Down Smash thing)

As far as I know, Marth has no useful AT's to speak of. He is extremely straight-forward to use in that regard. The trick with him is learning what moves to use in which situations. Because his VIABLE moveset is so vast, thats actually much harder than it sounds.
ok thanks.:)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
People still think this about MK, don't they? When will they ever learn?

Snail

Smash Lord
People still think this about MK, don't they? When will they ever learn?

Well, Shuttle Loop isn't exactly the most intimidating KO move ever, so I can understand the thought xD However, MK excels at gimping recoveries so I guess he can score early KOs that way, although that too is dependent on his opponent.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
If only edgeguarding in Brawl was as important as it was in Melee. Too bad so many characters are virtually ungimpable in this game that MK's earlier kills rarely happen...

@ WolfCypher: Occasionally some people still don't think MK can kill at all. It's kind of ridiculous, since people haven't been saying that since March.

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
Ummm, people Im pretty sure that was a joke -____________-
Seriously Kiwi is actually a smart poster, Ive seen it earlier in this topic

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Actually, since MK's Side B, and may be Tornado and/or Up B (correct me if I'm wrong) have high priority, isn't it useful to use them to edgeguard? For example, when someone's going to grab back onto the stage from the left side of the stage, won't it be a useful tactic to use Side B and aim it at the ledge, so that way you hit the opponent, possibly ledgespiking them, while you can get back onto the stage? But I guess you could just use aerials with his many jumps for edgeguarding.

Now that I read that post again, i see that it's a joke. I didn't get it at first :(

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont think that Metaknights tornado or drill rush have the necessary knockback before the final part of the attack to actually ledgespike anyone. And yes, his aerials work MUCH better for edge guarding, mostly because they are extremely fast, and if Im correct his d-air has nearly horizontal knockback, and a semispike if you time it right so it makes for an EXCELLENT edge guard.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
I still think its way too early to say anything about tiers =/

I mean in melee, its clear that kirby isnt good or that doc is better than mario or something

but in brawl i for example wouldnt say that yoshi is bad

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I still think its way too early to say anything about tiers =/

I mean in melee, its clear that kirby isnt good or that doc is better than mario or something

but in brawl i for example wouldnt say that yoshi is bad
I would.

10char

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom