• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Brawl Info Thread ::. (Mod's Close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Smash Champion
FINALLY! A new character! Ike looks awesome, and I'm glad to get another sword fighter into the mix, I'm best with them. It looks like he'll have to be unlocked because it said "Warning: New Challenger Approaching!", but that's no big deal. I am a bit surprised though that they started adding new characters before they added Meta knight's and Snake's profiles.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
First Impressions on Ike...

He looks like everything Ganon should've been in melee. Huge two-handed sword, probably going to be a much slower character than Marth - big smashes and large range on his attacks are likely. I liiiiike!

Right now I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ike is gonna end up being Brawl's version of Nightmare (Soul Calibur) - and if he is, I hope he's well balanced. :p

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
Well Lyn or Hector would be better characters from FE I think.

But WHO CARES. HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME WHOOOOOO YEAH but srsly, Lyn and Hector need into this game.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
BEST UPDATE YET.

I'm a little sad that this most likely means Marth won't be around this time, but dude, Ike looks KILLER.

Viva new character updates!

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Guys, I just wet my pants.

Ike was my second Brawl pick after a Luigified Ganondorf. He has a huge fanbase and is unbelievable strong in both of the FE games that he is in right now. He is the best Fire Emblem game character to put in Brawl. I hope indeed though, like most people say here, that he will be balanced since he was just over the top in the FE games. He could sweep a whole army if he had Aether since it healed him all the time.

But hell yeah, my wish has been accepted.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I dont see why everyone thinks ike is going to be slow.So what if he has a broad sword? If u actually played the game (knew anything about him) you would know that he is fairly fast and and very acrobatic. His Aether attack has him doing backflips in the air and stuff. He is probably going to feel like C.Falcon with a sword.

I also dont see why people think marth is going to be cut considering that ike's icon IS marth's falchion sword.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
This was totally unexpected. I didn't think Sakurai would reveal any unlockable characters until around four or five weeks until the game's release date.
Whoever said Ike was unlockable? The way I see it, Sakurai is showing us all the default characters before the game's release, and will reveal the hidden characters after the game's release.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Marth is likely going to be out for a very simple reason.

Ike and Marth look exactly the same.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
That's what I've been saying, but people seem to think that Marth will be in Brawl. All I can say is, they're going to be very disappointed...
Yeah, I mean it's not like Marth doesn't deserve a spot, but the general public just wouldn't accept two identical characters.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Ike and Marth look exactly the same.
That is so wrong you should murder yourself in the ****in face, Ike and Marth are two different people, Ike has a sister named Mist, Marth has a sister named Ellis. Ike is from Fire Emblem 9 and 10, Marth is from Fire Emblem 1 and 3. Get with the ****in program.

For God's sake, they wield different swords!
What else do you need to tipp you off?!

Xanderous

Smash Lord
That is so wrong you should murder yourself in the ****in face, Ike and Marth are two different people, Ike has a sister named Mist, Marth has a sister named Ellis. Ike is from Fire Emblem 9 and 10, Marth is from Fire Emblem 1 and 3. Get with the ****in program.

Can you read, buddy?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042

You can say that because you know Fire Emblem and it's characters. But to those that don't they won't really know it.

I'm with the "Marth is out" group.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
F*** YEAH!

I can't stress how unbelievably happy I am right now. I freaking loved Path of Radiance and I freaking love Ike.

YEAH BABY!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
really it's up to the fan base and sakurai's taste for marth. i mean it's easy to come up with a new moveset for ike, he did have some specials (like aether) the set him apart.

i'm guessing marth is still in cause a lot of people will be pissed if he gets the boot and ike plays diffrently enough so they won't have the same moves.

roy though might get the boot

Salaad

Smash Ace
Roy and Marth were nub chars.

Ike will stay since hes the lastest in the FE series. :|

Then why did they add Marth when he was from the first FE? Why didn't they use the LATEST?

Marth has plate armor on his chest, and Ike doesn't (Looks like a leather strap..)

Marth doesn't wear Converse shoes. :D

Is there any reason to take Marth out?

Marth's in, don't be dissapointed because you hate him...You people are saying that Because they look the same (Kinda) Then look at Peach and Zelda. Two different games and they both wear pink and blonde hair.

And no, Roy and Marth were not nub characters....(Maybe Roy xD)

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Marth & Roy are taken out and another FE character is in that isn't a swordsman. IMO.

About the Marth Vs. Ike looking alike thing... Marth could get a makeover if Sakarai wanted him in, but didn't want confusion, but remember that even if you think they look totally different, it might be because you know those characters so well. If you have identical twin brothers, you probably know that they are completely different individuals, but to a stranger, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Not that Marth and Ike are exactly alike, but they DO look somewhat similar.

I think it's more likely however that Marth stays and Roy goes over vice versa, but I still think they're both out.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
I REALLY doubt Marth is gonna be in there guys. Do you really think they're going to put him in after this?

Sakurai said some characters would probably be getting the axe. The first characters I thought of when I'd read that were ice climbers, some of the pokemon, and Marth/Roy, most likely in favor of more contemporary FE characters. Lo and behold, Marth's contemporary descendant rears his purple headed mug.

Furthermore, Ike is more likely to be meaningful to more gamers internationally, as Marth had only found that sort of attention post-ssb for the most part.

I'd say his chances are next to nill. But we'll see.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mean it's not like Marth doesn't deserve a spot, but the general public just wouldn't accept two identical characters.

I agree it's not about what the fanboys and whatever think. I'm just saying... I wouldn't be too surprised if Marth got axed. I don't play FE, but when someone first showed me a picture of Ike I kept thinking I was getting the wrong link, and was gettign a link to Marth. The general Public will be like WTF? I'm thinking of marth as an alternate costume possibly. I could really care less, I don't like characters without projectiles
:chuckle:

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of something...

Didn't Sakarai mention a while ago that he wanted to focus on international characters of Nintendo, and not Japan-only characters?
Replacing Marth & Roy with Ike would make a lot of sense for that reason.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
it would be nice if he would bring Hector out instead of Marth because Ike should replace Marth so yea.. I wouldn't mind seeing Marth getting replaced by some other FE character

Sandy

Smash Champion
For those who are saying Marth and Ike play the same, no they don't. Marth and Ike have two completely different styles. Marth's style is basically a classy and delicate, with his use of the Rapier. He's able to move with grace and his style flows. Ike on the other hand, is a sword-user who's been trained as an axe-user, so his skills should be more deadly. Not to mention that he would probably lean towards more on strength than speed, unlike Marth.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Marth has to be in...he is the original character representing FE(IMO) thats why you unlocked him before you unlocked Roy.....I'm thinking Marth is returning hands down....I dunno about Roy.....Mine as well take Mario, Kirby,DK and Link out....wait they cant do that because those are elite mascots and they're the original characters representing their games.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
they may have differences,but they look kinda similar in appearance, and both wield a sword so I wouldn't want to see two FE characters that look similar, I'd rather see Hector who wield an axe and looks different

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
Marth has to be in...he is the original character representing FE(IMO) thats why you unlocked him before you unlocked Roy.....I'm thinking Marth is returning hands down....I dunno about Roy.....Mine as well take Mario, Kirby,DK and Link out....wait they cant do that because those are elite mascots and they're the original characters representing their games.
Hmm... I see what you're saying but the fact that Marth was the main character in the first Fire Emblem doesn't mean he is the icon of that series. He was in a few games, but not all (or at least most)
Mario is the icon of the Mario series, because it is based on him. Mario has been in practically every Mario game because he is the icon of that series.
Kirby is the icon of the Kirby series, that's why it's called the Kirby series.

It is called Fire Emblem, not the Marth series so it is indeed different.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
wow just today i said the same exact thing. Marth and Ike look kinda too similar to me. and as i said somewhere else i cant see both of them fighting side by side in brawl. Marth is not the most important FE character. it all comes down to opinion. it's not as clear cut as let's say mario and Link. and Yes i also heard that Sakurai doesnt really want Japan-only characters so yeah. If roy goes take out Marth. Ike is more internationally known hence why he was included in the first place. Roy and Marth was the complete opposite. now that FE is an established franchise here in the states the japan only Marth and Roy are sadly not needed.

which do you want? characters that were made in Japan and we never knew who they were until melee. or characters that everyone knows internationally. Sakurai is a smart man. it's also not like we'd be screwing Japan over either. I think it's fair that all the characters in brawl be internationally known that way things come off more fair.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
For those who are saying Marth and Ike play the same, no they don't. Marth and Ike have two completely different styles. Marth's style is basically a classy and delicate, with his use of the Rapier. He's able to move with grace and his style flows. Ike on the other hand, is a sword-user who's been trained as an axe-user, so his skills should be more deadly. Not to mention that he would probably lean towards more on strength than speed, unlike Marth.
RANDOM NERD TRIVIA-> Marth's sword is actually not a rapier. DUN dun DUUUUN!

But yeah, man, I don't suspect Ike will be fighting a whole lot like Marth. Even the screen shots we've got so far seem to suggest he'll be shanking fools with a unique style all his own. I really can't wait to give him a try.

I think Ike was intentionally designed as a character who's visual presence is echoing of Marth's. That's really what clinches Marth's being cut, for me. But who knows!! I really would like to see Marth return, sort of being the original gangsta of Fire Emblem.

Marth and Ike having distinctly different playing styles could be an argument for his triumphant return, though. It would be pretty cool, but unfortunately I doubt it. =(

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Nobody's denying that they are different characters. The fact that they look the same is enough for Marth to be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom