• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Brawl Info Thread ::. (Mod's Close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
wow assist trophies. sorta like marvel vs capcom and whatnot. looks like no playable samurai goroh though. that sucks. this opens up the door for many characters to make an appearance in brawl.

Croco

Smash Lord
wow assist trophies. sorta like marvel vs capcom and whatnot. looks like no playable samurai goroh though. that sucks. this opens up the door for many characters to make an appearance in brawl.
Yeah I'm shocked..
At least it explains the Nintendog..
But I'm a bit disappointed that samurai goroh won't be playable.. but who else could now be the 2nd f-zero character?
Deathborn?
Black Shadow?

hmm
I wonder if this open new ideas that 3rd party characters might jump in the ring that couldn't make the cut?

For example.. if megaman makes it for Capcom.. we might see someone like bass, viewtiful joe, or maybe even Leon S. Kennedy pop up.

Then there is Ridley.. he might also just turn out as a assist trophy.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
I feel... empty. And scared. My favorites could be next!
Olimar...
Paper Mario...
Be very, very afraid.
on the other hand, this will destroy certain character's chances effectively.
Hammer Bros. and Samurai Goroh already killed by the Assist Trophy Killer. Who will be the next victim? Probably Waluigi. :D

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Yeah I'm shocked..
At least it explains the Nintendog..
But I'm a bit disappointed that samurai goroh won't be playable.. but who else could now be the 2nd f-zero character?
Deathborn?
Black Shadow?
I'm actually wondering if he's going to get the shaft and have no additional rep...:(

hmm
I wonder if this open new ideas that 3rd party characters might jump in the ring that couldn't make the cut?

For example.. if megaman makes it for Capcom.. we might see someone like bass, viewtiful joe, or maybe even Leon S. Kennedy pop up.
Yes, this could be very interesting indeed...it opens the door wide open for possibilities...I definitely think everyone who owns this game is going to buy an AR, though...

Then there is Ridley.. he might also just turn out as a assist trophy.
You have no idea...that's the first thing I though or rather...feared :cry:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
As I said in the Samurai Goroh thread:

"Well there you go, there's a way for all the crappy ancillary sonic characters and random mushroom kingdomers to get representation. Yay."

Basically we can all have our happy trivia cake and eat it too.

Makes me wonder if they're going to be more powerful than pokeballs though.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think think they're really cool, except I'm sad that Goroh is one of them. There better not be too many characters like end up like that who deserve playable slots. But, F-Zero better not get the shaft on characters...:mad:

I wonder if they will just have A attacks like the wireframes...

Wait a second!!! Maybe they are going to replace wireframes!!! That would be so awesome!!!!11!!!one

edit: Oh man, I can feel it now...the forums are going to EXPLODE today. Heck, they already have and it's 2:30 am!...

Quintalian

Smash Rookie
The addition of the Assist Trophy is a brilliant move! A compromise that allows a greater number of Nintendo characters to appear during the fights, without inventing entire move sets for them. After all, Pokemon need not be the only summonable assistants.

Now, of course, there'll be arguments over who deserves playable status versus Assist status. Ah well. Personally, I wasn't holding my breath for playable Samurai Goro. I mean, seriously. He's a tertiary character at best. I was surprised that F-Zero had representation in SSB64.

I see the Assist Trophy as a way to keep the roster smaller and more unique, giving certain characters their due without leaning on the Clone Button. 40 characters?! From where are you getting this number? I can see 30 at the very most, probably closer to 25 with zero clones when all's said and done.

Oh -- and I predict the Metroid Hatchling will appear as an Assist. It's perfect, I tell you, perfect!

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Well its finally an update that is interesting. Cool idea, take away the wireframes.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I almost punched the school computer monitor in my excitement.

I was like BOOYAH!

BOOYAH!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The addition of the Assist Trophy is a brilliant move! A compromise that allows a greater number of Nintendo characters to appear during the fights, without inventing entire move sets for them. After all, Pokemon need not be the only summonable assistants.

Now, of course, there'll be arguments over who deserves playable status versus Assist status. Ah well. Personally, I wasn't holding my breath for playable Samurai Goro. I mean, seriously. He's a tertiary character at best. I was surprised that F-Zero had representation in SSB64.

I see the Assist Trophy as a way to keep the roster smaller and more unique, giving certain characters their due without leaning on the Clone Button. 40 characters?! From where are you getting this number? I can see 30 at the very most, probably closer to 25 with zero clones when all's said and done.

Oh -- and I predict the Metroid Hatchling will appear as an Assist. It's perfect, I tell you, perfect!
Where have you been? Sleeping under a rock?? There will at LEAST be 35-40; Sakurai said so himself. 25 is unheard of.

Oh, and F-Zero DID appear in the first (which isn't completely ridiculous because it IS in the top 10 or so franchises), which means, I feel, the series should get an addition in the third.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Dear God... This idea scares the living crap out of me...

Sure, it's an awesome idea but now all my favorite characters are threatened... I swear, Ridley was the FIRST thing to come to mind...

Dear God, don't be a fool, Sakurai! Only make minor characters assist trophies! Don't throw the big league characters like Ridley in there!

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
While I like the idea of wireframe replacement, I'm pretty sure they're just like pokeymanz, and thus disappear after attacking

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
yeah. hopefully it doesnt happen to Ridley or any other important character that can really contribute to the game. lol im scared now too. samurai goroh whom i thought had one of the best chances is kaput. I think cpt Falcon will be back hopefully he's not going to be alone again. Wolf from star fox could be next. which would suck even more. im glad for nintendogs and hammerbro though.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
While I like the idea of wireframe replacement, I'm pretty sure they're just like pokeymanz, and thus disappear after attacking
Yes, but they stay for a certain while, and my understanding is walk around and do attacks, unlike the pokemon. They just sit there and do one thing, but I'm wondering if these ATs will do different attacks, and thus maybe just A-button attacks, like the wireframes were...it's a thought.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
It seems that assist trophies could either be completely ********, or an interesting edition to SSBB.

I'm hoping that you will collect the trophies in a similar fashion to that of the trophies in SSBM, and they aren't just a pokeball clone. I would be delighted to see these trophies presented along with a sort of 'trophy deck'. Basically, any trophy you have in your trophy deck would have a chance of appearing in any assist trophies you use. There wouldn't have to be a limit on the number of trophies in one's deck, but keeping all your trophies in your deck may not be a good idea, as it would be hard for your better trophies to appear. (although there may have to be a minimum amount)

This could create interesting 'deck battle' situations where the only item turned on is the assist trophy.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
Great. Now I have to worry about Krystal being turned into a trophy...

Sakurai always complicates things with his great ideas! Now, for every character thread/discussion, we now have to worry about the trophy factor.

Quintalian

Smash Rookie
I would like a source link on the claim that the roster will be populated by 35-40 characters. I recall that figure being attributed to the hoax "radio broadcast" which also "confirmed" that certain characters had been cut and that Bowser Jr. and Wind Waker Link were among the replacements. Certainly there has been no evidence on the official site that the final roster will be that large. If I have missed an interview snippet somewhere, please provide a link.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I'm betting on 40+ still. Then again, now we have to consider the probability that the AT idea was implemented because of time constraints and char models that couldn't be implemented wholly...

Star105

Smash Journeyman
also if the trophy is like wire frames people can play as their favorite character if he/she didn't make it to the official roster. You can probably just use a action replay device and control them.
(note that they wouldn't have any final smashes or special moves so.......) but they are probably like pokeballs. this sounds good i cant wait till the game comes out event with only 30 characters ( i hope for more but..............:))

Sandy

Smash Champion
So I guess Assist Trophies are like the trophies in Melee except they actually have some usefulness... interesting.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Didn't we already have to worry about the Pokeball factor for Pokemon characters?
No. It's similar but not exactly the same. With Pokemon, you know you have a set amount, say 4-5. It's just a matter of WHO gets in. With other characters, it's like...it's either them or nothing. Will F-Zero get any additional rep? will sole reps from new series even get in?

There are hundreds and hundreds of pokemon. So, even if you didn't put in someone's favorite, they still got a pokemon; so as a pokemon fan, they are still relatively happen. Whereas, in this case, someone may not give a rip at all about Metal Gear or something and absolutely LOVE F-Zero, and they got screwed out of the one character they wanted.

Maybe people feel a little like that about the pokemon, but for those...go play Coliseum or something because that is more their game anyway. For regular joes, this is the only way a normal characters gets any action.

jb254

Smash Apprentice
Blah... seeing Samurai Goro there on the battlefield, I can't help but wonder what could have been had he'd been added as a playable character. Just look at him, he's so cool...

Blazer

Smash Ace
Goro coul have been an awesome character. When I finished reading the AT part I saw him and was like "Double update!?! Goro is playable!? Awesome!"Shame he's out. Now I strongly fear for Wolf's safety.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
it's all just a metter of time before we learn anything else. i thought goro was playable until i saw the item update, leaving me confused until i read the AT section.

but this is an awesome update. now characters we didn't think could be playable could in fact be an AT. plus all the characters we didn't want to be playable in the main game could just have a small role like this.

EDIT: honestly though, i think all the removed characters from melee will be a part of this item

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That was lame. That was one of the dumbest moves for Sakurai to make, to make Goroh a NPC. Please no Black Shadow, in fact no Blood Falcon as a last minute character, pic Pico, or have the ONLY F-Zero rep be Capt. Falcon. Please don't do the same to *gasp* Diddy,*gasp* Ridley, and *gasp* Midna!

megachao24

Smash Cadet
That was lame. That was one of the dumbest moves for Sakurai to make, to make Goroh a NPC. Please no Black Shadow, in fact no Blood Falcon as a last minute character, pic Pico, or have the ONLY F-Zero rep be Capt. Falcon. Please don't do the same to *gasp* Diddy,*gasp* Ridley, and *gasp* Midna!
I'm afriad we'll have may to deal with it in the future. While we don't know any others yet besides the ones we know, but if Goroh is any indecation, then get ready to kiss about 3/4 of your playable character wishlist good-bye. I'm not fond of this idea to be honest, but we should not judge it awesome or crap yet until we see the final resluts.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
honestly dude, i don't think the F-Zeros series will have more rep. i think falcon will suffice.

and why are you worried for Diddy? if anything don't. i think this gives him a BIGGER chance of being in (solo at least, seeing as Dixie will be an AT)

Akuryou

Smash Cadet
Well if it was between not having some characters in the game at all or giving them pokeball-style appearences, the choice is obvious.

BentoBox

Smash Master
No it wasn't dumb of him. You guys would've ended up whining about your favorite chars not making the cut anyways if there were no such thing as ATs. That's where speculation gets you, high expectations that'll just lead you to being utterly deceived in the end. You're doing more harm to yourself than Sakurai has done to the game. He tried to please the fans by including as many characters he could in the game; you guys simply expected too much thinking that every Nintendo series would have 5 playable chars. Sux2bUindeed.

I liked this update, not because I find ATs awesome (since I'll just stop playing with items at some point) but because this made a lot of pro-speculators cry. <3

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's why I kept my hopes low for characters to be in it. All I'm hoping for is Mario, Yoshi, and the Ice Climbers and I'll be happy. Who cares if there's not anymore people from F-Zero, Cpt. Falcon is a fairy.

Adi

Smash Lord
God****, at first I thought Samurai Goroh was a confirmed character and started crying tears of joy. Then I read it more carefully and started swearing profusely.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
God****, at first I thought Samurai Goroh was a confirmed character and started crying tears of joy. Then I read it more carefully and started swearing profusely.
Haha yeah I thought the same thing. My brother just told me about the trophies so then I looked at the site and saw that. Then I scrolled down and saw Goroh, and thought he was playable. Oh well. :p

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i about crapped my pants seeing the update. i was hoping for inclusion of Goroh since melee came out. then i saw an item by his name, read the AT section, then let a groan of despair. but he is included in the game, and that's good enough for me

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
agreed. I totally **** bricks when i saw Goroh. Seeing how Goroh was in a separate post, aside from the Nintendog and the Hammer Bro,I assuming he was a playable character. =\
Too bad.
Hey, at least he's still in the game, and now we know for sure that Captain Falcon is returning.

Too bad though, i wished Captain Falcon had a playable rival in Brawl. =\

the grim lizard

Smash Master
honestly dude, i don't think the F-Zeros series will have more rep. i think falcon will suffice.
Hey, at least he's still in the game, and now we know for sure that Captain Falcon is returning.

Too bad though, i wished Captain Falcon had a playable rival in Brawl. =\
Don't count him out yet...I really do think that Falcon should have extra rep. It isn't right to have to go it alone so long...He needs someone else from his series, considering he's been in it since the beginning.

What is wrong with Black Shadow? He is more of a villain to Falcon than Goroh is. I admit, I did want Goroh as Falcon's rival, but BS will be just as fine. Black Shadow also created Blood Falcon as a clone to kill CF. It seems that BS has more of a background with CF other than simply the F-Zero race arena. Blood Falcon isn't going to be in it...that would be pointless. He is already a costume for Falcon. And as for Pico, as cool as I think he is...that isn't going to happen. He really wouldn't be that interesting of a character anyway. But, I really do think Falcon needs more rep.

Oh, and...Goroh wasn't even on the character poll, but Black Shadow was.

Yeah, that's why I kept my hopes low for characters to be in it. All I'm hoping for is Mario, Yoshi, and the Ice Climbers and I'll be happy. Who cares if there's not anymore people from F-Zero, Cpt. Falcon is a fairy.
Somebody shoot this person.

Captain Falcon is like the coolest character in Melee. *knees you in the face*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom