• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Brawl Info Thread ::. (Mod's Close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rash

Smash Ace
This was a very interesting update; another one that can put a lot of current arguments about control styles to rest. Not only that, but it also builds enough basic speculation about exactly how Sakurai will implement the non-standard control styles for the game.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
I immediately went looking online for one! Ha! Yeah, you're not alone, and I think Nintendo would be wise to sell them again, at least online. (Do they???)

BTW, I did manage to hold back from buying one, as I'm not sure I really need one. My Wavebird is holding out pretty well, so...

Yeah, I was thinking of buying a standard cord bearing GC controller, but the wires coming out of the Wii kind of sucks... at the same time it would be nice to have rumble for a change, as well as no battery concerns during important matches. (Not to mention a tighter virgin analog stick.)

Any advice? Should I buy a new regular controller, Wavebird, (which I've been very pleased with) or just stick with my Wavebird which should still last at least another couple of years. (and then think about searching for one)

I'll have my motechuk to fall back on of course, but who knows how long you'll be able to get brand new GC controllers for a reasonable price.
Take a normal controller! Unless you don't mind buying batteries every 2-3 days! As for me I can buy any type of controller I want without looking online cause I have a local place selling these stuff near my place! And not many play Nintendo in my town so there are a big amount of leftovers even from N64 era!!

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The funny thing is...this update took the least amount of effort of ANY of Sakurai's posts. And yet...it is received with the most satisfaction. lol

On another note, I'm willing to bet that Nintendo will start making/selling GCN controllers again based upon the comment by Sakurai: "I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo GameCube controller, though. I like the feel of that powerful rumble."

I could very easily see that happening.

EDIT: The least amount of effort other than the entry with the end of the Yoshi song...

soaz

Smash Ace
yea im happy like **** now i know that i wont only be using my new wavebird for ssbm.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Friggin woot! We can keep using GC controllers. *-*

Now I gotta go buy another stock of GC controls for once Brawl comes out, I guess 8 will do. ><

soaz

Smash Ace
i dont understand why you would buy 8 controllers.Im just buying one since my brother dont play and if a friend comes over they will just use the wii and nunchak combo:)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
just happy i still have all 4 of my wavebirds in excellent condition.

i still wonder how most of them will play out. especially the wii-mote by itself. that has got to have a lot of thought put into it.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
OH MY GOD!!!

ALL FOUR CONTROL STYLES!?!?! HOLY JESUS!!! BEST UPDATE EVER.

I'm freaking STOKED.

"Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will."

Dashes? Does he mean dodges, or, like.. wave-dashes? (Or just running?) O.o;

~Dac

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
This is smexy news... Now, between me and a buddy, I have enough controllers for 4-player fraternizing frenzy forever!

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
OH MY GOD!!!

ALL FOUR CONTROL STYLES!?!?! HOLY JESUS!!! BEST UPDATE EVER.

I'm freaking STOKED.

"Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will."

Dashes? Does he mean dodges, or, like.. wave-dashes? (Or just running?) O.o;

~Dac

I think he meant dashes because you have to use the D pad, and you can't exactly tap with the D pad.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to how this will be fixed, using those 4 ways of controlling. The NGC probally stays the same (I think) as in Melee, and so will the VC controller then too. But what about the Wiimote? How will it be usable?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I'm looking forward to how this will be fixed, using those 4 ways of controlling. The NGC probally stays the same (I think) as in Melee, and so will the VC controller then too. But what about the Wiimote? How will it be usable?
Wiimote? As I said twice before. D-pad for movement, a for a, b for b, 1 or 2 for jumps, 1 or 2 for shields. You just lose out on the grab short cut (Z). I'll assume smashes and dashes are double taps.

But I say the GC and Classic Controllers will be getting the most action. I still have two decently working GC controllers, but three wiimotes, two classics and two nunchucks.

I'll eventually try all four methods out (well 3, the GC one is obvious :p ). I may end up liking one over the other, who knows.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i will try the three new ones, though i assume classic controller play will be very similar to gcube contoller play. maybe, for just the wiimote, you tilt in the direction you are facing while pressing attack to smash. who knows?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Y'know I was trying to avoid motion sensing as much as possible, but it might makes sense. Heck maybe for nunchuck + wiimote. A shake in a certain direction could double as a c-stick? If this is the case, many accidental pains will happen.

kaid

Smash Master
Wiimote-on side controls:

Ground:
^^(hold)jump
^^(click)shorthop
</>walk
>>/<< Run
v Crouch
v+>: crawl
>, 2: tilt A
>+2: Smash A
1 Specials
B shield
A Grab

AIR
^^: Airjump
vv: Fastfall
B+(direction): airdodge
2+(Direction): air moves
1+ (direction): specials
A+ (Direction): air moves

In both controls, + would be pause, and - would be Brawl move

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OH! This is TERRIBLE! This is the worst news EVER!!

I can't believe this...this is going to ruin the game. Way to go Nintendo; you just threw away a gaming icon. I can't believe you would go and ruin the game like that... Just great. Well, Brawl's pretty much gonna suck...

(jk, obviously...but don't I just sound like 95% of the people on the boards?...)

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Wiimote-on side controls:

Ground:
^^(hold)jump
^^(click)shorthop
</>walk
>>/<< Run
v Crouch
v+>: crawl
>, 2: tilt A
>+2: Smash A
1 Specials
B shield
A Grab

AIR
^^: Airjump
vv: Fastfall
B+(direction): airdodge
2+(Direction): air moves
1+ (direction): specials
A+ (Direction): air moves

In both controls, + would be pause, and - would be Brawl move

Dude, you know that they'd never make those the Wiimote controls... The whole idea of the Wiimote is that it's simple to use. You can bet that this will be no different; The Wiimote-Only controls will be something that a complete newb would be able to grasp. Something like this:

First off, all movement would probably be motion-based. Tilt right and left (I.E. Excitetruck) to move the character. A fast tilt would be a run, a slow tilt would be a walk. Jerk the controller upwards to jump. A hard jerk (ahem) would be a full jump, and a soft "up-wards motion" would be a short hop. The d-pad would either be like the cube's C-Stick, or it would be jump. This would leave 1 and 2 being the Cube's A and B, respectively, and the A and B button being either Block or Grab. [/copied from another thread]

You have to put yourself in Sakurai's shoes... He already knows that Smash regulars are going to use either the Classic or the GameCube controllers. That leaves non-gamers to use the Wiimote, as sort of an introductory to Smash. There's no freaking way he'd make the Wiimote-only controls the most complicated of the 4.

~Dac

RollWithEm

Smash Rookie
I'd like it if Nintendo released Gamecube controllers that actually used the Wii sensors. Wireless "wavebird-ish" controllers that didn't have to plug in to the Gamecube slots could be sold along with the game. I know it's wishful thinking, but a guy can dream, right?

Sandy

Smash Champion
I'd like it if Nintendo released Gamecube controllers that actually used the Wii sensors. Wireless "wavebird-ish" controllers that didn't have to plug in to the Gamecube slots could be sold along with the game. I know it's wishful thinking, but a guy can dream, right?
So basically, you want a Siaxxis-type of controller?

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Whoa please don't tell me this game can be played Wiimote style...... I have no idea how that would work not even the post above can help me figure that out. I hope that won't ruin the way this game is played............I mean the wiimote for fun little mini games (ex: the credit shooting at the end of Melee adventure, classic, ect) but to actually play the game with the wiimote i cannot do. Some notice on a fancy new Wiimote/Gamecube style controller or some wacky mix that will straighten things up would be nice.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@k!llsw!itch
this game can be played wiimote style
but also gcube style and classic controller style

so everyone wins.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
I'm just glad that it's coming out for WiFi connection, now I don't have to travel to any tournaments, and I'll probably never get bored of this game xD

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@greenshell
unless you need friend codes to play people and you can't play people randomly. that would suck.
@Sariku.Uchiha
are you going to update the first post soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom