• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I took the cogiati today, and along with speaking with other transsexuals, and crossdressers, I'm more confused about who I really am. My results for those who are interested:

Your COGIATI result value is:195 Which means that you fall within the following category:

COGIATI classification FOUR, PROBABLE TRANSSEXUAL

What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially feminine, but with some masculine or androgynous traits. It is very possible that you are a candidate for a diagnosis of transsexualism. You show a strong degree of gender dysphoria. At the very least, further investigation should be undertaken. Your COGIATI score places you among the majority of those diagnosed as transsexuals, the 'late onset' tanssexual.

SUGGESTIONS FOR ACTION:

Your situation is potentially serious and indicative of a probable inborn gender conflict. It is definitely recommended that you pursue further action.

The suggestions for your circumstance are several.

1. It is recommended that you seek help from a sympathetic counselor or professional about your gender issues. It is very possible that over time they will become increasingly difficult to cope with. Early determination of what you really need and want is vital. You need to determine if you truly are transsexual. Keep in mind, thought, that many alternatives exist other than complete sexual transformation. Partial transformation and many other way of existing are available. While you are very possibly a transsexual, COGIATI has determined that this is not absolutely certain. While time is an issue, being certain is more important. Proceed with investigation of your possible transsexuality or transgenderism, but with caution.

2. Some actions may help you to define your needs more clearly. Experimenting with living full time as a woman, taking hormones for a short time under supervision, or taking testosterone suppressers to observe how you feel are all viable options. Keep in mind that while it is very likely that you might be a transsexual, it is not certain. Do not take severe or permanent actions without long thought and the help of counselors and professionals.

3. Your gender issues are real, and should not be ignored. Neither should you rush into acting on them, however powerful they may feel. You do not fit the full criterion for the rarest classification, classic transsexuality, and so should be cautious, and open to possibilities. You may yet end up undergoing transition, and the path of the transsexual may well be your salvation. Be very careful, but do not ignore your issues.

4. If you have not already, consider joining any of the thousands of groups devoted to gender expression of various kinds. There is literally a world of friends to discover who share your interests. There are also publications, vacations, and activities that would expand your gender expression.

This coincideds a lot with many aspects of my life. Crossdressing at an early age, depression due to being unable to express myself, etc. I'm going to begin to take anti androgens to block testosterone, on top of my current regiment of diet, light exercise, and other natural ways to feminize my body. I want to take small steps and gauge how I feel emotionally. I will also find a professional to talk to about this.

:phone:

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Just a note: In general, I am highly suspicious of standardized tests of this sort (this is coming from a Stats degree minus two stats classes). The way they are usually designed to to catch all of the target group, i.e. they emphasize "no false negatives" over "no false positives." A typical ratio of false positives to true positives is about 5 to 1 (even for things like blood tests). Tests for personality/emotional/whatever you want to call them disorders can be all over the place in terms of accuracy: I've heard the test for suicidal thoughts has a 250 to 1 ratio of false positive to true positives (and you'd think something like that would be easy to identify). Self-diagnosis is NOT the way to go. The effect of emotional uncertainty induced by suggestion and a desire to find an explanation/solution--ANY explanation/solution--is extremely persuasive even in the most unlikely instances: people can convince themselves that they have anything, and then the Placebo Effect can cause them to mimic the symptoms, which only convinces them more, and so on. The conviction with which the test's statements are made is very worrisome to me for that reason because it tries to tell you (a person who is potentially emotionally unstable and therefore extremely susceptible to suggestion) that, without a doubt, you are probably transsexual ("your gender issues are real and should not be ignored"), when in all likelihood you have less than 1 in 5 chance of being "probably transsexual" and therefore an even smaller chance of being actually transsexual.

In other words, I approve of you going to a professional to discuss this issue, but I call massive bull**** on the test itself. No standardized test is stand-alone evidence of anything: psychologists will only use a test to tell them when to investigate, NOT to draw conclusions, even if you match the profile for X disorder 100%. For example, because I have bipolar, I match the profile 100% for depression. Depression and bipolar are different (similar, but different) disorders that require different treatment. I know what it is like to be misdiagnosed for years and given bad treatment that just made me worse; don't be the one to misdiagnose yourself and give yourself bad treatment, it seriously sucks, and the default reaction of any human being when something they think should work but actually doesn't is to try harder.

Incidentally, depression and bipolar literally rob people of their ability to think clearly and logically, so I would be doubly suspicious of any conclusions you make or symptoms you exhibit (or you think you exhibit) while in a depressive state. It is possible that you are transsexual. It is also possible that you are simply depressed and have security/identity issues that stem from an overall desire for self-depreciation. It is even possible that you have become addicted to/dependent on the endorphins that are released when you feel that you have accomplished positive personal change, and are seeking further change (positive or not) in the hopes of getting more of those endorphins. There are millions of reasons besides "real gender issues" that could cause you to fall into the "Probable Transsexual" category, so don't listen to the test and make hasty conclusions.

tr;dl Just talk to a professional. Don't take any action on your own if you are mentally or emotionally unstable, because mentally and emotionally unstable people are well-known for making poor decisions.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I plan on seeing a professional. I've delayed it for years out of fear/confusion. The thing is that since coming out, depression has pretty much left my system. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I was depressed in the first place because of my false persona.

I'm also moar likely going to take anti-androgens on at least a short term basis after I do more research and see how I feel. It's a choice I've been debating on before I even took this test.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
As a psych. major, I can confirm that Derek speaks the truth, and he probably said it more eloquently than I could have. If taking the test helped you be sure that you needed to DO something (even trying something) that you already thought you should, then by all means. Surveys are the most misused type of testing in the field, especially online. And as Derek said, we don't PROVE anything, pretty much all of our testing is investigative or for screening.

But I think seeing a professional is a good next step, either way.

Jane

Smash Hero
i did the test just for the lulz, and got a score of -5 and this:

What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time, or possibly neither. In some cultures in history, you would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. Your gender issues are intrinsic to your construction, and you will most likely find your happiness playing with expressing both genders as you feel like it.

some questions i absolutely could not answer accurately, since that is a test for people confused or unsure of their gender. since i have no such problem i had to just pick whatever answers on maybe like, 4 or 5 of the questions. for the record, i consider myself completely male. lol

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
i did the test just for the lulz, and got a score of -5 and this:

What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time, or possibly neither. In some cultures in history, you would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. Your gender issues are intrinsic to your construction, and you will most likely find your happiness playing with expressing both genders as you feel like it.

some questions i absolutely could not answer accurately, since that is a test for people confused or unsure of their gender. since i have no such problem i had to just pick whatever answers on maybe like, 4 or 5 of the questions. for the record, i consider myself completely male. lol
Cuz you da homie!

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
That was a champion post, Derek. :)
What can I say, I care :embarrass: I've never thought Rubyiris was a bad fellow, he's consistently taken time out of his day to try to give me Link tips, so I can't just sit back and watch him make potentially disastrous decisions (after all, he didn't have to post his decisions here, he could have kept them private but chose to share them because he wanted help making his decisions). I know exactly what it is like to be 100% convinced about something being wrong with me, justifying it with past events and current symptoms, and then a month later realizing, "Wow, that never actually happened/I was blowing that way out of proportion."

(Will add more to this post after Quantum class)
EDIT: Screw Quantum class, I have two textbooks for a reason, dammit!

@Xander It boils down to the fact that my emotional issues scare the hell out of me, and when they really hit me hard, I'll latch onto any explanation I can possibly come up with just to make that fear disappear. I suspect you are the same way with your apparent identity/security issues. It sucks because the "explanations," no matter how ****ty or obviously wrong they are, actually DO make me feel better because they decrease my uncertainty, thus relieving my fear and some of my symptoms.

I cannot guarantee you that anything I'm telling you is any more or less legit/trustworthy than the COAGIT or whatever. Yes, by all means see a professional. I am not telling you to not see a professional. I'm telling you not to do anything without professional help. Please see a professional, and put off any planned treatment you have for yourself until after seeing a professional.

@Jane I may even take that test for the lulz too, just to see what it's like.

@Coty LOL I forgot you were a psych major ^_^' Would have been a little less hasty to show my moves if I had remembered that.

kid tipper

Smash Cadet
the fact that the first question on that test asks you about math, and then classifies your gender based on your answer to that question and questions similar to it, pisses me off. you don't like/aren't good at math, so you must be a girl at heart? or a guy? either way, it's ****ing wrong.

Xander you've never struck me as a girl dawg.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Derek: can I talk to you about it in a more private manner? I think you might be misinterpreting my intentions.

... I in turn think you might be misinterpreting mine. I just want you to seek professional help instead of making conclusions based on an online test. That is the full extent of my knowledge of you and your situation and that is the full extent of my intentions to influence your actions in any way--you don't need to convince/explain anything to me in more detail because you don't need MY approval to do what you want with your life. (I'm sorry if this sounds like a half-***** attempt to back out of a confrontation, it is totally my bad if I came off as confrontational in the first place. It's just that I am not professional help you should be seeking and I legitimately feel that I am unable to give you any useful input beyond what I already have.)

EDIT: Looking back at my previous posts, I WAS too confrontational. I apologize. Mostly I was angry at the idea of taking an online survey seriously in any way--this issue is somewhat related to the reason I ragequit my Stats major in the first place, so it stirs up some bad memories for me. I :mad: at survey questions, because they misrepresent the individual (biased wording). I :mad: at surveys in general, because they misrepresent the population (majority don't return surveys). I :mad: :mad: :mad: at online surveys, because they have an unknown population (number of hits is flawed) and they usually suck regardless. I :( at Rubyiris.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
@Ben: I was never asked math questions. Also to be fair, The person you knew in 2010 was mostly fake.

@Derek: I am taking it seriously, but not to the extent I think you might be thinking I am. It's helping reinforce existing thoughts, and providing reasonable answers to existing questions.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
You know how I said back on the Tucson thread that NYTE was coincidentally my bday weekend? Well, it's also coincidentally Easter weekend ... so I will be unable to attend.

zimantha

Smash Rookie
Can we please not have a religious argument on this thread? Derek and I can't go because its Easter, that's all. Please understand this, we are not trying to make any comments on religion or trying to start a fight, just stating we can't go because we have other responsibilities.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I am well aware that NYTE occurs on Easter, and I will encourage those of the Christian faith to go to church before the tournament starts up again at 12. A person's conviction to God should be greater than any tournament, and I will refuse myself to make another person feel guilt for something they think is just. Ferrish, if you cannot go on Sunday, I will understand. If it makes you feel any better I will hold a short prayer before the tournament begins on behalf of the day.

I would appreciate those who like to make fun or take away the importance of this day to withhold their comments. There is no room for such apathy and intolerance.

I would like to remind that Sundays in the Christian religion is a day of feast and celebration, especially on Easter (I was raised Catholic and not many people know that Sundays are not included in Lent). If anything, keep this in mind if you do decide to go or not. I wish you a happy Easter. ^_^

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Hey, guys. So, I'm coming to NYTE in April, but I want to do some stuff. I hate traveling just for smash. I really want to see the area!

My main point of interest is Nogales, Sonora, at the US-Mexican border. I love Mexico, but I have no idea how I would get there, because quite frankly, I don't know very many Arizona smashers at all.

I'm also not too sure who has a car, and would be willing to go there. Not to mention a passport.

So what I'm asking is, would anyone be interested in carpooling to Nogales to explore the city?

Message me! Lets get something started!

:colorful:

Top Bottom