• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
kosuke, as far as i know, xavier isn't short for alexavier...whereas sometimes xander would be short for alexander, and while it makes sense to be xander since thats basically removing the ale prefix, i like zander more cuz it fits with the sound more, and its the first thing that comes up in my t9 on my phone :p

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I don't know why, but just posting in this thread made me feel better.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
How the hell ISN'T it a lot of work? Also, you're obviously not paying enough attention to my posts, because I haven't complained about "Omg I'm not not getting better." recently. It's obvious I'm improving. I gain more, and more experience each tournament I go to. People play significantly differently from my experience in tournament than they do in friendlies, or even money matches, and it brings out a whole new experience. Plus even afterward, getting to play friendlies with a whole slew of new people opens up more opportunities to learn, and improve.

My main problems are currently;

1. Technical consistency.

2. Inexperience with certain character match ups. At the moment, I have hardly any Shiek practice, and as such, I get ***** pretty hard when I do play against Shieks, and problems with the Falco v Peach match up, which I addressed earlier.

3. Predictable approach with Fox.

4. Predictable tech game.

5. spacing

I do thank you guys, but you never notice it. :\

also; I haven't played in training mode in at least a month, until this afternoon, where I spent like 2 hours practicing **** with Fox, which ended up making me play worse later in the evening, since Elvis showed up

I also have to doubt your comment on technical skill. My technical skill is extremely average.

Yeah, I'm less talented than you guys. I have to put significantly more work into things that just about everyone else I play with can grasp within the hour. You don't seem to understand how much more work I have to put into learning something than other players do.

And even though I've thought of quitting the game several times, Smash is pretty much the only thing I -really- enjoy anymore, despite how often it irritates the **** out of me.

*Edit.*

I'd really appreciate it if could get either Sean, or Tony to give me some serious 1 on 1 training, but I don't expect it to happen.
Grats Trent-

Technical inconsistency is an ILLUSION.

Not paying attention to your posts? My word choice was a bit harsh, but I'm telling you that despite your "average" tech skill, if you're mentally under the impression that you have incosistent tech skill, you need to focus on eliminating the things that are causing you to die. If you blame your deaths on missing a SHFFL aerial > shine. (QQ more) Then do a full hop aerial shine. Dumb your game down and focus on what's important.

If you were talking to me, I didn't say **** about what your technical skill WAS, I was saying what you should do regardless. Whatever is irritating you, eliminate it, even if it means losing what you THOUGHT would be a kill because chances are, it probably wasn't anyway against a good player. Bring those things back when you're certain you have it down 99.90%. If you keep doing things that irritate you, then stop doing things that irritate you. I know its difficult, but you have to try. If you miss ledge hops, it means you're probably doing them too quickly, so that means you have to take the time to acknowledge it and slow it down a smidgen to guarantee its success despite possibly losing the opportunity you had at an attack.

With the controller I have, I still mess up ledge hops pretty often, but you know what? You guys don't really seem to notice it, because I don't let you guys punish it as often as I mess it up.

Once again, I'm fully aware "how much time" you put into the game. When I say that "it's not that hard" I mean it in relative difficulty toward what time you're spending playing the game. These are merely things you just THINK about more so than physical implementation. You only implement them in actual matches. Write the stuff down so you're ****ing up on, so you can remember NOT to do them.

If you're realistically putting in 60 hours a week, then you should spend some of that time diong the things I've mentioned instead of saying how untalented you are. I'm always willing to do 1v1 training. Buy me lunch and a gatorade. Sometimes just the gatorade will do, and I'll work with you.

I guess my posts just aren't clear enough, you're still disregarding SOME of the things that I'm saying and it SEEMS like you're implying that I'm saying other things. PLEASE don't misconstrue what I'm saying.

If you need clarification, ASK ME. Once again, stop making QQ posts, we get it, you're not talented. We don't care, there are people worse than you that have also put in a lot of time. They're not making QQ threads. You're not hearing of them, because they're not making QQ threads. Some of them are just asking questions. Some of them just browse the boards until they find what they need. I'm serious, we're TRYING to encourage you, STOP discouraging us from encouraging you.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or just come to the realization that you don't actually have the drive and commitment necessary to advance in your game. That's me, for sure.

I've kind of plateau'd in terms of skill, and know exactly what I need to do to improve. I'm just not willing to put the time and effort in to improve. But that's fine. I'm cool with that.

Oh, and for the record, I'd suggest playing other games competitively. There are certain cross-game skills that really help out.

Halo teaches you to predict well with grenades. Starcraft teaches you (freaking everything, but that's besides the point) multitasking. Hell, even play some chess.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Chess is too good. :)

Starcraft is too amazing.

Dan- He's saying that he's willing to put in the time and effort in improving based on the "60 hours a week" training he does, but you're probably right about reaching a plateau in terms of skill.

Dan, we should play chess.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
That'd be fun. I'm good at being analytical, and thinking moves through. But I don't know any chess-specific strategies. I haven't played chess in years. (But you HAVE to play chess in person. Online chess just isn't the same)

Have you played Go? Go is even better, imo.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I have not played Go, but I have watched Hikaru no Go. Not my kind of game, but they made it look all epic. I haven't played chess since I was a freshmen in high school myself, but I'm kinda the same way.

I'd say the way I played chess worked REALLY well with how I play Melee and even WoW back inthe day.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Exactly! Puzzle games, the like of which I play Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon, teach you mapping ahead and stuff! Try something else Xandy...You said it yourself.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Okay... <_< Then go pursue the things you're good at.
If I was good at something, I'd gladly do so. >_>

Also; Tony, I mentioned that for the last few months I completely dropped the whole "watch movies, and practice for 9 hours a day." thing.

For one, it was suggested to me to stop practicing on my own. It's helped a lot, honestly. I've also frequently taking small breaks. Sometimes a week break, or just a few days, but I've been spending small periods of time away from the game.

At the moment, I'm getting back into Gunbound, and I'm playing Smogon a lot. I've also been plying 3d chess on and off, but not as much as I probably should.

I play Tetris, Puyo Puyo, and Panel de Pon like all the time, but I mentioned at Goops that I'm kinda mediocre at them, lol. I went to a Puyo Puyo tournament at a con a year back and got decimated, lul. Of course I've improved since then, but still. I'm pretty mediocre at it, despite how fun, and amazingly addictive it is.

I used to play Starcraft, and Warcraft 3, but I unfortunately fell into the "Fastest" group. I pretty much only know how to play "Fastest" maps, and "Zero Clutter" maps really well. I can also play the casual games pretty well; I'm actually very good at Tower Defense. XD

I tried getting back into Starcraft a few years ago with TemplarPsi, back when we played smash, but he quit for Wow. I tried again late last year with some friends of mine, but I hardly see them anymore. I should probably go back to playing online, but it's not nearly as fun as playing Starcraft on a lan with your buddies.

Tony;

You say things about omitting things I'm not 90% consistent at, but what about things I'm still learning? I feel that the best way to learn new things is in-game. Practicing them in practice mode teaches you the execution, but in a real match, it's extremely easy to push the buttons in the wrong order, or go too slowly, or too fast, or even be interrupted if you're not used to which situations it's used in, because it's not committed to muscle memory yet.

Like for example; With Falco, I'm working on continuing combos onto platforms, something Sean showed me for the short period of time he decided to play Falco again, and some various other things.

In game, I'm also working on retreating Nair/Dair, and delayed aerials. I recorded a few hours of games last night, and I got some good footage of using the two. Also; to a lesser extent, I'm working on cross-ups. Specifically, I'm working on landing behinf them with a nair. I've got dair, uair, and bair down, but for some reason, Nair is more difficult.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow... a Starcraft LAN sounds amazing, actually. I haven't played it in... years. It's my namesake, after all!

Who would (realistically) be willing to do a Starcraft LAN at my place sometime in the near future? (within a couple of months).

Once summer hits, I'm going to do a bunch of gaming. I gotta finish up the semester for now, tho.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Dude I know I thing. If I backflip, I win. No matter if I get 4 stocked. IF ANY OF YOU TRY TO BEAT ME WITHOUT ME BACKFLIPPING FULLY ONCE, YOU WIN THE GAME.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Justin thanks for hosting last night! I had a blast and remembered why I love to play smash. I will bring you your controller after work today :) Melee was pretty fun too.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Wow... a Starcraft LAN sounds amazing, actually. I haven't played it in... years. It's my namesake, after all!

Who would (realistically) be willing to do a Starcraft LAN at my place sometime in the near future? (within a couple of months).

Once summer hits, I'm going to do a bunch of gaming. I gotta finish up the semester for now, tho.
Next time I'm in Phoenix for more than a day, we definitely should. Plus you, and your lady are made cool, regardless. =]

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer

I would like to play. I'm actually quite terrible at Starcraft, but I LOVE watching the Korean Pro Leagues.

Xander- If you want to practice implementing something in matches, then implement them. I merely suggested omitting things that were causing your frustrations. You should continue to develop anything that improves your mobility and expands your options, but (Not that you may do this) you should not let yourself break down in a match for missing something important. Acknowledge it if it kills you by making sure you focus a bit harder the next time, instead of harping on the same mistake.

"You play like you practice" is how I was coached as a kid. Everything that you practice in training mode should be at game speed anyway. Perhaps that's why I have less difficulty translating my training mode into match play. I think I watched some neutral air video where the Luigi was doing the platform canceled neutral airs on a star in training mode and then implemented it into a lot of his actualy combos on players. I guess, if you have trouble bringing your tech skill in training to your actual matches, I can't really give you anything else in that regard. Practicing your tech skill in matches is fine if they're practice matches, but your ultimate goal should be to have your tech skill as second nature in tournament so it's never an issue of it being "in the heat of battle."

If you're getting interrupted then you need to reevaluate what situations you can use your skill in. It's like, man... this guy isn't falling for my 5 pool... It must be my build execution... I'll keep working on it...

Practice what works. Practice it at game speed. Come tournament match, it's second nature. You might mess up, but oh well. You might lose the game, but oh well. Bring it back the next match. If you're messing it up, keep working on the consistency until it is highly improbable for you to screw up two matches in a row let alone 2-3 times a match. Hope that makes sense.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I also think that when you play Ruby, you shouldn't let it frustrate you either. You need to stay calm an rearrange yourself to a point where you are hitting buttons correctly. Stance is important, the finger on the wrong button can equal death. Just keep calm, don't yell at Falco for jumping when you jumped, and simply stop pressing buttons till you get re situated.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
what does ruby look like? i've been wracking my brain around this question because i can't remember if i saw him at the tourney or not. i'm sure i did, but i just can't put a face to a name with ruby.

plx halp

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
He's a white dude with long blonde/brown hair in a ponytail.

At People Mover, he was wearing a blue/brown/yellow shirt with shorts, sandals, and he had bloodshot eyes.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
He's a white dude with long blonde/brown hair in a ponytail.

At People Mover, he was wearing a blue/brown/yellow shirt with shorts, sandals, and he had bloodshot eyes.
dang, tai. can you tell me his blood type and his sexual fetishes?
jk, tee ay eye is a cool dude.

Thanks, guys. I remember him now. I can stop hurting my brain over it now.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
dang, tai. can you tell me his blood type and his sexual fetishes?
jk, tee ay eye is a cool dude.

Thanks, guys. I remember him now. I can stop hurting my brain over it now.
Blood type is O+

Sexual fetishes probably involve Captain Falcon (then again, whose doesn't?)

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Giving input is fun sometimes, even if I've faded into the background and nobody remembers me anymore =P this is for rubyiris mostly

My advice, stop playing. When I was 'really trying' to get better, I played upwards to ten hours a day in training mode alone (the highest I ever did was 14, btw, without break) and my tech skill got KINDA better, and I learned a lot of tricks, but really they didn't do me any good. In fact, once I understood the game well enough, training mode really only helped with techniques and getting a feel for a new character you were trying out (if you've never played marth and want to know how to chain throw, it helps cus its consistent even against a person) but i was always disappointed, my tournament standings never went up significantly. But now that I never practice at home, I've noticed that I have more 'good days' and im more consistent more often.

playing against the same people of about the same skill level as you isnt going to do it either, you need to either 1) play against different people of the same skill level or 2) play against ANYBODY that's way better than you. an arse-kicking always teaches you something, even if its just humility. and 3) personally, i think the more characters you play, the better you'll learn any matchup. if you have a hard time against shiek and peach, play them... once you realize how stuuuupidly easy it is to **** spacies on the edge with shiek, you'll understand what to do as your spacie. And when tony says practice your stuff in your friendlies, he means it, not just ok ill try it here, i mean... repeatedly try it. if you want to double or triple shine someones shield, dash around until you think they'll shield then run in and do it as much as you can! any sort of practice is 100% conscious, playing on instinct is fun and easy but you almost never learn anything. its my major downfall as far as practicing

and from what i've played you, your tech skill is fine, maybe even better than mine (not saying a lot but its saying something), i just occasionally predict something or out-space you, and as shiek i just hit A cus that's what shiek does

...also a bit of news, i sort of moved up at my work and i now have weekends off, i will probably be attending tournaments from now on and can smash on the weekends with just about anyone.

..tony text meh if you're still interested btw

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
tai i get out at 330 on wed, you down?
Yeah, I have a half day

Giving input is fun sometimes, even if I've faded into the background and nobody remembers me anymore =P this is for rubyiris mostly

My advice, stop playing. When I was 'really trying' to get better, I played upwards to ten hours a day in training mode alone (the highest I ever did was 14, btw, without break) and my tech skill got KINDA better, and I learned a lot of tricks, but really they didn't do me any good. In fact, once I understood the game well enough, training mode really only helped with techniques and getting a feel for a new character you were trying out (if you've never played marth and want to know how to chain throw, it helps cus its consistent even against a person) but i was always disappointed, my tournament standings never went up significantly. But now that I never practice at home, I've noticed that I have more 'good days' and im more consistent more often.

playing against the same people of about the same skill level as you isnt going to do it either, you need to either 1) play against different people of the same skill level or 2) play against ANYBODY that's way better than you. an arse-kicking always teaches you something, even if its just humility. and 3) personally, i think the more characters you play, the better you'll learn any matchup. if you have a hard time against shiek and peach, play them... once you realize how stuuuupidly easy it is to **** spacies on the edge with shiek, you'll understand what to do as your spacie. And when tony says practice your stuff in your friendlies, he means it, not just ok ill try it here, i mean... repeatedly try it. if you want to double or triple shine someones shield, dash around until you think they'll shield then run in and do it as much as you can! any sort of practice is 100% conscious, playing on instinct is fun and easy but you almost never learn anything. its my major downfall as far as practicing

and from what i've played you, your tech skill is fine, maybe even better than mine (not saying a lot but its saying something), i just occasionally predict something or out-space you, and as shiek i just hit A cus that's what shiek does

...also a bit of news, i sort of moved up at my work and i now have weekends off, i will probably be attending tournaments from now on and can smash on the weekends with just about anyone.

..tony text meh if you're still interested btw
OMG COTY

This is so true. I was practicing hardcore last week and I developed so many bad habits since I kinda just did it mindlessly. I decided to not play at all this week (aside from yesterday when I decided it was enough of a break, and I felt sooooooo refreshed.

p.s.

I MIGHT be able to Smash with you tomorrow night/mid-day.

fark

Smash Apprentice
me. i can finally go to one. i always say i can and end up not going for one reason or another.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
For once, not me.

I'm playing with maXXXvats and Zero-Power and there's a birthday in my family.

And I don't have a ride... and I want to get through Chrono Trigger, start FF9 again, and if Duffy's successfully transferred all the videos to me, I have to upload some singles videos. I also have a group project to work on Sunday so I can't do any overnight Smashfests.

Lame, I guess it's just not in the heart of the cards.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Whoever is hosting the smashfest (is it you, Coty? or CREA? i dunno) please let me know the time we can come over. it will be me, tai, oscar, and maaaybe another person. also the location. thaaaaaanks.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Also, whoever's hosting the Smashfest, would it help for me to bring a GC and game?

It sucks having a ****load of people waiting around for one setup, and it sucks to do only doubles all day.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
If Oscar is going then I'll come.

CREA, where will the Smashfest be? At your house?
---
Ruby, have you tried writing things down on paper? It's something I do to help clear my game and help build upon it.

Just write down tactics.
---
Tai, bring it.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'd rather not host it but if no one else can then I can. I'll post my address after I clear it with the folks and GC's/discs would be appreciated.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
You don't need a TV, do you?

I can bring one, but it'd be a real inconvenience. GC and stuff are no big deal

Top Bottom