• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah come on over. 3pm.

someone said the address might not be right.

901 E Van Buren Street
Phoenix, AZ 85006

I'm in apartment 2016.

After you come in throught the gate, turn right and go into the parking garage. Park on that first level. Go up the steps to the right (not the ones in the corner, but the ones before that on the right.) My apartment is the first one up those stairs on the right.

OH yeah, someone bring a wii and a copy of brawl if you want. I'll set up my second TV so we can get a few games going at once.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I'm down, I'll probably call you when I'm almost there.

I'll bring my wii and copy of brawl, along with hacked brawl if anyone wants to try it.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm down, I'll probably call you when I'm almost there.

I'll bring my wii and copy of brawl, along with hacked brawl if anyone wants to try it.
sweet! I've been wanting to try it.

Is it the newest one with wavedashing and whatnot?

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Yea it has wavedashing and real l-canceling, not crappy shield canceling that cancels all lag but buffers in a shield to every cancel you make.

Though the timing for l-canceling is really weird. Not at all like melee.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Yeah the timing for wavedashing is pretty weird at first too, I'm still having trouble with doing them consistently. It's all good though.

CHUK

Smash Ace
I know this game that is much more balanced that has wavedashing in it, no need for hax.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Yeah but people spent their $50 on Brawl and felt....cheated, riped off and lied to. These hacks make the game worth your time and money to play now.

But Melee will always be better.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know this game that is much more balanced that has wavedashing in it, no need for hax.
wat?

Minus metaknight, brawl is probably more balanced than Melee.

Did anyone win a single notable tournament without Marth, Fox, Falco, or Shiek in the last 3 years of Melee? The only one that I can think of is Jiggs OC3.

In Brawl, it looks like (when metaknight is banned) we have ROB, Falco, DDD, Snake, Pikachu, Wario, G&W, Marth, Lucario, Diddy, and Ice Climbers that can all compete on the national level. And Donkey kong, and kirby can probably do as well as jiggs and samus peach and captain falcon did in melee.

All around (minus metaknight) brawl is better balanced in terms of characters.

Melee was imbalanced towards aggression. Brawl is imbalanced towards defensiveness. I don't think either is much closer to neutral in that regards, and we should get it out of our heads that aggression is better for competition. Consider Floyd Mayweather, who is probably the best counterpuncher of all time in boxing. He's the Isai of boxing: he never gets hit, and most of his wins against top competition go to a decision, but he never gets hurt, he always lands of ton of punches, and he plays mostly defensively. I'll argue that his style is every bit as entertaining to watch, and the PPV numbers around the world agree with me.

I didn't intend to post all that when I responded. What started out as a joke reply turned into a quick honest answer, which turned into a diatribe of why brawl is OK.

i like brawl, that's all. It's a good game. I'm even seeing some of the original complainers among pro players saying "wow, without metaknight this game is really well balanced."

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
wat?

Minus metaknight, brawl is probably more balanced than Melee.

Did anyone win a single notable tournament without Marth, Fox, Falco, or Shiek in the last 3 years of Melee? The only one that I can think of is Jiggs OC3.

In Brawl, it looks like (when metaknight is banned) we have ROB, Falco, DDD, Snake, Pikachu, Wario, G&W, Marth, Lucario, Diddy, and Ice Climbers that can all compete on the national level. And Donkey kong, and kirby can probably do as well as jiggs and samus peach and captain falcon did in melee.

All around (minus metaknight) brawl is better balanced in terms of characters.

Melee was imbalanced towards aggression. Brawl is imbalanced towards defensiveness. I don't think either is much closer to neutral in that regards, and we should get it out of our heads that aggression is better for competition. Consider Floyd Mayweather, who is probably the best counterpuncher of all time in boxing. He's the Isai of boxing: he never gets hit, and most of his wins against top competition go to a decision, but he never gets hurt, he always lands of ton of punches, and he plays mostly defensively. I'll argue that his style is every bit as entertaining to watch, and the PPV numbers around the world agree with me.

I didn't intend to post all that when I responded. What started out as a joke reply turned into a quick honest answer, which turned into a diatribe of why brawl is OK.

i like brawl, that's all. It's a good game. I'm even seeing some of the original complainers among pro players saying "wow, without metaknight this game is really well balanced."
No one respond to this.

Arguing is pointless at this moment. A lot of us love Melee in Arizona.

We will all respect Dastrn's opinion.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love melee, by the way. It's ******** how good that game is.

I never meant to say one was better. I just got typing and lost track of the conversation is all.

Pound 3, my bad...

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Didn't get any videos. Sorry. (actually i did record 1 friendly onto pokey's wii, but it was a random DK vs pokemon trainer match)

We didn't do any money matches, I don't think.

Good times though, ya'll.

Maxx your ROB is too good. I'd like to see it in action in tournament.
Swoops, always good to see ya. Ganon only has Dair, but **** is it a killer.
justin and crew: good times, good smash, sweet zelda tattoo. don't catch dysentary.
pokey and crew: thanks for making it out. El paso should be fun.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
Didn't get any videos. Sorry. (actually i did record 1 friendly onto pokey's wii, but it was a random DK vs pokemon trainer match)

We didn't do any money matches, I don't think.

Good times though, ya'll.

Maxx your ROB is too good. I'd like to see it in action in tournament.
Swoops, always good to see ya. Ganon only has Dair, but **** is it a killer.
justin and crew: good times, good smash, sweet zelda tattoo. don't catch dysentary.
pokey and crew: thanks for making it out. El paso should be fun.
i had a frikkin blast. glad i could make it, btw i'm bryce, i mainly played marth. everyone was chill and was pretty **** good. can't wait till the next smashfest.

about el paso, i still got my seat, right?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Well, I'll break it down so that everyone isn't confused...

TESTIMONY

Dastrn has five seats including him.

That makes it four for everyone.

Me, Tai, Shifter, and Pokey had wanted to go, right?

Pokey says he has a friend who wants to go (Woof) as well as Abide.

This quite the predicament since that makes it seven who want to go...

---
And that's where we are.

(I'm ****ing hilarious.)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Good playing with all of you, had a pretty good time. I wish I got some replays on my wii too, but no dice.

GGs everyone, hope to play again pretty soon.

Maxx (pretty sure that's you, who played ROB most of the time :p)...screw ROB's fair

Dastrn, good to see you man, thanks for having us all at that complex web of an apartment complex.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Well, I'll break it down so that everyone isn't confused...

TESTIMONY

Dastrn has five seats including him.

That makes it four for everyone.

Me, Tai, Shifter, and Pokey had wanted to go, right?

Pokey says he has a friend who wants to go (Woof).

This quite the predicament since that makes it six who want to go...

---
And that's where we are.

(I'm ****ing hilarious.)
Abide said he MIGHT go, but it's not certain at all.

So, we don't know....

D:

AAAAAXXXXXEEEEE

;___;

</33333333333333

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
it sounds like we have enough that we should start talking about 2 cars to el paso. I'm going to probably fill up with as many El Paso attendees as possible first, TAI, and then if I have room, i'd be glad to take you to benson, but otherwise, you might start looking for other options.

It looked from tonight like AZ might make a good showing in El Paso.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Seriously. It's all because of MLG's servers. I am angry (like always, LOL)!
---
Dastrn, that sounds like a really good idea.

Also, although I couldn't come today, I kinda want to show you guys how I fair in Brawl that will make a "good showing" at El Paso.
---
Although it was online play, Dark Shifter has a pretty good idea of how well I play Brawl.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I think SCIV>Smash. Dastrn, shame on you for getting it on PS3...that's not what I have it for >_>. Of course you don't start out with a shit character.

I'm definitely bringing SC next time

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I've played Melee for a really long time, and I still do from time to time. I loved Melee...and I love Brawl, I just switch back and forth between the two depending on what mood I'm in. Up until now I haven't played SC in a while.

...melee is teh suck *runs away from AZ thread*

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I FREAKING LOVE MELEE.

It's one of my favorites. SCIV is alright compared to smash. Tekken is definitely better than SC. But I know how some people on this board feel about 3-D fighters >_>

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I love tekken too, but it seems like it boils down to a lot of frame knowledge and just "how many frames is this move? ...okay I can punish with this and automatically get this." I personally love SC for all it's tech traps, step traps, and the horizontal/vertical/low/step/crouch rock, paper, scissors-esque system.

Dunno, Tekken is a **** good game, but I've never gotten into it for very long.

Melee is still awesome though, and I had to pick up Ganny considering my main in Brawl.

Top Bottom