• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Because Manny touches me in private areas.
Dam it G-MO!

I molest you ONCE, just ONCE and all of sudden IM the bad guy!

You better come dam it.

To everyone else it should be fun playing some smash again. But this will be a smashfest for the melee and brawl lovers alike. I'll probably have two setups for each.

PLEASE COME TO MY SMASHFEST TCB AND STB :bee: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 LOVEDOVE<3

CHUK

Smash Ace
I might come but a little later, idk. Yeah, no reason to abolish Brawl, if melee is there then I am happy :D

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Fantastic.

To those of you who have ONLY PLAYED BRAWL and NOT MELEE, please...Try out Melee.
---
Or at least pick it up again... ._.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
we should all just go back to melee!!
everybody has seems to be leaving brawl.
Just so there's no confusion (and I think it's important for everyone to state their opinion), TCB has by no means any desire play Melee again. I speak on behalf of our crew as we always actively and maturely discuss the growing and changing of the AZ SMASH community.

While I can voice only the general opinion of my crew and my own personal thoughts, I CAN tell you the differences I've gathered from the others in my crew (steve, tim, pokey, jeremy and mark) in WHY we wouldn't play Melee in the competitive medium again. Bear in mind some of these reasons I DO DISAGREE with, but they are opinions that should be voiced.

They list as follow:

- Melee is dated
- Brawl is more relevant
- AZ Melee was too biased
- Melee sucks
- Melee was great and Brawl is decent
- Brawl is still new
- the AZ community needs a kick in the balls
- Tucson should get more AZ visits
- AZ should get more Tucson visits

These are just a few of the top of my head. TCB's discussion take place mostly during matches when we all meet up and my house, joke around and play Brawl. Our discussion are always open and different but sort of always one-sided to Brawl. Steve and myself seem to have the most to say about the "ever-lasting taint" of Melee. haha

My personal opinion on Melee is that it was an amazing competitive game that clearly drove AZ's community for a long time without any equal and still to this day is capable of holding the attention of die-hard enthusiasts and newcomers.

A keyword in the last statement I made is "was". The introduction of Brawl to the SMASH medium changed everything. Whether better, as good, not as good or terrible when compared to Melee, Brawl introduces and sparks new ideals in the same variety of people who like to play Smash.

So it's a bit troubling to see newcomers come to the boards, find and read a lot of indifferent posts about why it's a terrible choice to play Brawl. Hey man, its all about variety and fun. Scorning and condemning Brawl for the personal comfort of one's self is a step back in how it drives off other potential Smashers and makes those who do play Brawl feel attacked. Do you hate Brawl? Or do you hate that the community that wants to grow with Brawl? OR do you just like to hate?

I digress. In response to Dark's idea about everyone returning to play Melee, that to me seems also like a step back. Melee is a great game but it's dated. I'd love to play the game again (14 months ago) when I first started playing competitively, built up skill, went to STB's house for the first time, went to my first tournament at Goop's, dumb-luckily 3 stocked Forward (!!!), nabbed my first up-tilt rest, 2-stocked Light (haha) and so on, but...

Times change. Adapting to the environment as the medium changes is very important if you want to have fun on your own terms. The same can be said about those who wish to just stick to playing Melee, but I personally would feel like I was treading on old ground. I did everything I wanted to do with Melee. I can pull out the game and play it from to time to time to reminisce and recount my own personal trophies, but soon it must go back in the box of "THINGS I DON'T PLAY WITH ANYMORE".

Yes, essentially, Melee was Jessie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_hpHzEMiE

I understand there are those who either still want to prove something to themselves (or others) or just still want to play this game as if it's still relevant in the competitive scene. I approve the former but not the latter.

But all these thoughts are just rationing and reasoning. Everyone always addresses the problem and NEVER the solution. The solution is that Brawl and Melee should co-exist without one overstepping on the toes of the other. Because to be fair in the simplest degree:

Melee is competitively superior but dated.
Brawl is relevant and fresher but lacks crucial depth.
Melee/Brawl supporters who throw stones at the others don't seem to realize that their houses are made of glass.

STB quitting, yamer left, tai dont play, kosk too. tuscon hardly plays, they like melee better. SV too. Dan doesnt play, chuckie, treven im not even sure about him, goop doesnt care...
only people who even play brawl now are TCB and Justin.

OUR COMMUNITY IS DYING FAST!!!!!
Being fair, the Brawl community did just fine with the initial absence of Tai and Kos.

The only thing to rock AZ Brawl's boat was Tucson's growing animosity toward us for not going to their tournaments, Forward "quitting" and of course STB hanging up the bi-weekly tournaments.

Our community isn't dying. It just needs a kick in the balls.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
- Melee is dated: everyone
- Brawl is more relevant: everyone
- AZ Melee was too biased: Pokey... erm.. maybe another person or two.
- Melee sucks: Pokey
- Melee was great and Brawl is decent: Tim, Steve, Jake
- Brawl is still new: everyone
- the AZ community needs a kick in the balls: everyone
- Tucson should get more AZ visits: ?
- AZ should get more Tucson visits: ?
Score me, please.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
I <3 your cinematic analogies.

Also notable:
The start of the school year will either cause academia overload (which decreases smash time) or the social gatherings will increase, kicking the community in the balls.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I'm done with both. Competitively with Melee, and completely with Brawl. Melee was the greatest game ever, and Brawl was not bad to me either. Right now, I feel that neither game has anything to offer to me competitively anymore. Melee is dead, and playing Brawl made me feel dead inside. The only reason I had decided before to stay and play Brawl was for the community that welcomed me when I began playing Melee. And my recent trip to New Mexico made me realize this new Brawl community is not the same as the one I first came into.

Now that both aspects of why I would play a game have deteriorated, I don't think there's reason to continue with the franchise or the competitions with its name on it. I've never regretted the people I've met or the places I've visited, but Brawl somehow did the trick when I went to NM for a fruitless expedition. Our bodies, minds, wallets and patience were tested and drained by the trip. I can't speak for the rest of STB on this matter, but that is just how I see things. However, I can speak for STB when I say that we have collectively stopped playing Smash outside of our small circle.

This is not to say that our thirst for competition has been quenched by any means. We have merely moved on to another facet of competitive gaming. We proudly consider ourselves perpetual students and apprentices of competitive games and their communities; feverishly seeking to climb the ladders within them and gain recognition--like we did here. Although STB has stopped playing Smash, our plight has merely just begun... elsewhere.

P

playntradechandler2

Make 1st place cash and people will be more interested :D
cant make ist place cash because of certain lincense issues. They look at it as gambling. Working on that problem as we speak. They are alot of hoops to jump through from what i here

JustinKamikaze

Smash Ace
I for one loved melee and have nothing against it, it was probably my first real competitive game i started playing and i wish i had lived in arizona and go to meet all of you guys before so i could of been part of the az smash scene. When brawl came out i thought of it as an opportunity to get involved in the community and gain some friends and have fun. So far i have loved it not to much that i love brawl but getting together and playing tournaments and just hanging out with everybody. Nobody is stopping anybody from playing melee or hosting tournaments either if you love and worship melee than play it and host a tourney and quit trying to persuade people that play brawl to host a melee tourney at a brawl tourney or to go back to melee. Just do it yourself its not that hard im sure both can coexist as long as people quit bashing on one another. <3

P

playntradechandler2

Brawl And Melee Tourneys

I have recieved quite a few messages requesting melee tourneys. We at Play N Trade cater to the masses and will have both MELEE and BRAWL tourneys. Along with the Sat. Aug. 23rd BRAWL tourney at 3:00 pm, we will also host a MELEE tourney right afterwards around 5:00pm. Or we can host the MELEE tourney the following Sat. Aug. 30 at 3:00 pm. Let me hear your feedback on the matter and we will decide what to do from there.

Play n Trade videogames
4040 s. arizona ave ste. 18
Chandler AZ 85248
480-883-0787
www.playntrade.com/chandler2
Located across from Hamiliton High School

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I for one loved melee and have nothing against it, it was probably my first real competitive game i started playing and i wish i had lived in arizona and go to meet all of you guys before so i could of been part of the az smash scene. When brawl came out i thought of it as an opportunity to get involved in the community and gain some friends and have fun. So far i have loved it not to much that i love brawl but getting together and playing tournaments and just hanging out with everybody. Nobody is stopping anybody from playing melee or hosting tournaments either if you love and worship melee than play it and host a tourney and quit trying to persuade people that play brawl to host a melee tourney at a brawl tourney or to go back to melee. Just do it yourself its not that hard im sure both can coexist as long as people quit bashing on one another. <3
I'd have begun hosting Melee tourneys and smashfests LONG ago, but I live too far out there, and my house isn't exactly the greatest place to host stuff like that.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I want to see like, Starcraft 2 be a piece of ****, and like, just SEE the repercussions it has on Korean society.

Statistics

Smash Cadet
This is not to say that our thirst for competition has been quenched by any means. We have merely moved on to another facet of competitive gaming. We proudly consider ourselves perpetual students and apprentices of competitive games and their communities; feverishly seeking to climb the ladders within them and gain recognition--like we did here. Although STB has stopped playing Smash, our plight has merely just begun... elsewhere.
And by elsewhere, you better mean Street Fighter 4.

Anyways, if TCB has any gatherings planned, be sure to post. You may or may not want to start a new thread.

Seriously, though. Street Fighter 4.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Lol I was talking about that a couple weeks ago actually. Starcraft is a religion there.
I heard from Stats that in Korea, they sent people to Starcraft camps.

And by elsewhere, you better mean Street Fighter 4.

Anyways, if TCB has any gatherings planned, be sure to post. You may or may not want to start a new thread.

Seriously, though. Street Fighter 4.
They're not playing SF4.

They're moving to *gasp*

Halo 3

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Yup. :)

Also, I'm personally buying SF4. Big fan of the series and genre, and if they made a new Killer Instinct, I'd buy that son of a *****, too.

lockdown7

Smash Cadet
I love reading these epic monologues, they are oddly entertaining. Brawl will be saved if we can tap into the potential of some of the mid tier characters.

I liked light winning that AC tourney with Peach. It shows there is some hope left for players with a good amount of skill to just outsmart their opponent. I really can see why people are quitting brawl. I have thought about it many times myself. I just enjoy the scene and the competitive nature of it, even if others do not.

Whoever plays Halo 3 add my GT. OHFACEJ

Demised

Smash Ace
Warhammer, SC2, Diablo 3

I must say the future looks bright. Warhammer is amazing and encourage any MMO player to check it out. The pvp is soo gooooood.

Korea's economy is run off SC.

Diablo 3....*drool*

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Yup. :)

Also, I'm personally buying SF4. Big fan of the series and genre, and if they made a new Killer Instinct, I'd buy that son of a *****, too.
Killer Instinct is soooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome. I wish they'd make a new one. I've been using Glacius since the first time i played.

CHUK

Smash Ace
Yeah I can bus there ez.... I am coming....!?
Well I am notorious for not showing, so we'll see.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Had a lot of fun at Goops. Nice to meet the new people. Brad, thanks for carrying me in teams lol. Kosuke, fun games, you were a cool guy. Coty thanks for all the tips. Trevyn still ***** me. Greg, Fox vs Falcon is still fun. Thanks Manny for having us over, good to see AZ again.

Top Bottom