• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2012 Florida Power Ranking Thread! (Powered By Bath Salts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallax

Smash Hero
PRs are not indicative of skill.
They aren't? So what your saying is that the power rankings, which i've always assumed meant the top10 players in Fl who've attended a tourney within the last period, is not indicative of skill? Really? Then what is the PR? Please tell if its not meant to show the top players in Fl.

As I said/asked earlier, haven't you only been to like one tournament in each season? You can't be ranked off of that.
It hasn't stopped others from getting on the PR before and it shouldn't stop now. I also won one of those tourneys, which was stacked with skill and also had viper I mind you. I also played with viper for at least an hour before beating him in tourney at NLL. He KNOWS, EVERYONE KNOWS that I am better than him. I attended and placed every tournament better than him. Nuff said.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Someone said it earlier PRs in smash are more a snapshot for a period of time in tourney results rather than actual skill.

One could conclude that someone who is consistently on the PR is good cause all their snapshots are always good. I've always thought of mike as top 10 in he state , even if he isn't on the PR.

If the PR was actual skill levels it wouldn't have changed much in the past year or so

:phone:

gallax

Smash Hero
Someone said it earlier PRs in smash are more a snapshot for a period of time in tourney results rather than actual skill.

One could conclude that someone who is consistently on the PR is good cause all their snapshots are always good. I've always thought of mike as top 10 in he state , even if he isn't on the PR.

If the PR was actual skill levels it wouldn't have changed much in the past year or so

What....a........GODLY explanation of the PR's. This is me right now

Master Raven

Smash Master
Benny's got other priorities, especially considering he just started getting into Yu-Gi-Oh.

Exdeath

Smash Master
They aren't? So what your saying is that the power rankings, which i've always assumed meant the top10 players in Fl who've attended a tourney within the last period, is not indicative of skill? Really? Then what is the PR? Please tell if its not meant to show the top players in Fl.

It hasn't stopped others from getting on the PR before and it shouldn't stop now. I also won one of those tourneys, which was stacked with skill and also had viper I mind you. I also played with viper for at least an hour before beating him in tourney at NLL. He KNOWS, EVERYONE KNOWS that I am better than him. I attended and placed every tournament better than him. Nuff said.
What the PR is meant to do and what the PR does do are two different things. See my HRNut example in the same post. If players have been ranked from one tournament, then they shouldn't have been. Other than that, the latter portion is redundant. Being better than someone doesn't mean that you should be ranked above them. If this was an accurate list then about a third of the bottom section of the PR wouldn't be on it.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
What....a........GODLY explanation of the PR's. This is me right now

lol I'm glad you like it. It's reasons like this that I don't want there to be a PR anymore. By itself it isn't a true indication of superior skill.

Do you honestly believe if it were based on just skill that they would even take long to make? Or even be much of an argument? Everyone pretty much knows the top 10/15 players in the state without the help of a PR. Danny even put up his own list a few pages back . That's how other fgc games function and that's how id like Florida to function...which is why I didn't want to do them anymore

And also eww tgc tourneys

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Do you honestly believe if it were based on just skill that they would even take long to make? Or even be much of an argument? Everyone pretty much knows the top 10/15 players in the state without the help of a PR:phone:

Hm... if that's the case, shouldn't we make the PR to be like that?

Exdeath

Smash Master

Hm... if that's the case, shouldn't we make the PR to be like that?
The problem is that fringe placements (these tend to be the last couple of places in any given Floridian top 10) are quite arguable without something objective like the system(s) used to form a PR.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
The problem is that fringe placements (these tend to be the last couple of places in any given Floridian top 10) are quite arguable without something objective like the system(s) used to form a PR.

Hm... can't we think of something to solve that part too?

Exdeath

Smash Master

Hm... can't we think of something to solve that part too?
That's generally where the current PR system (which has its own dynamics -- some of which have been argued in this thread) or a more numeric system like Elo comes in to play.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
That's generally where the current PR system (which has its own dynamics -- some of which have been argued in this thread) or a more numeric system like Elo comes in to play.

Hm... I went over the elo system with Tommy already... Shouldn't it be just as easy to figure out the last few people as it is to figure out the top part?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
With ELO yeah, but then you need to actually create the ELO system which isn't as easy.

I mean, we could just make the PR a top 5 and say "**** you" to the 6-10, but that would cause more problems.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I don't think we as a state get together enough at tourneys for elo to be of any use right now. Back in 2008-2009 where everyone always traveled then yea. But not now...not anymore

Xaltis

Smash Hero
With ELO yeah, but then you need to actually create the ELO system which isn't as easy.

I mean, we could just make the PR a top 5 and say "**** you" to the 6-10, but that would cause more problems.

Well yea I know that.

But I'm just trying to understand why it's not as easy to figure out the 6-10 part as it is to figure out 1-5.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
It's easier to do 1-5 because there's only a handful of players that truly dominate the state and always place well (Riddle, Ryo, MVD, Seibrik, and HRNut) whereas 6-10 is always interchangeable because someone is always lacking or someone becomes inactive etc. etc.

6-10 has always changed the most from what I've seen.

Master Raven

Smash Master
bomb the ****ing PRs sky high and just acknowledge the top of the food chain who run this town

Xaltis

Smash Hero
It's easier to do 1-5 because there's only a handful of players that truly dominate the state and always place well (Riddle, Ryo, MVD, Seibrik, and HRNut) whereas 6-10 is always interchangeable because someone is always lacking or someone becomes inactive etc. etc.

6-10 has always changed the most from what I've seen.

Well I did have my spot as #7 kinda, both times I was on I was 7th, apparently on the pre apex one I moved up to #6 and now I'm not on this one due to lack of attendance at tourneys.

Ugh it sucks not having any money.

But I will be doing training with Seibrik this weekend so I plan to comeback hard.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I personally think that the PRs should be drawn without another PR kept in mind. Just leave the time before April unaddressed and rank from late March to early June. Problem solved.

That was also when he beat HRNut. :laugh:

PRs are not indicative of skill. HRNut has pretty much always been top 3 in Florida, but it's often been a travesty if he's ranked above 4th on the PRs for the past year or two because his tournament performances don't indicate his skill. As I said/asked earlier, haven't you only been to like one tournament in each season? You can't be ranked off of that.

I'm so hyped for August! Also, does anyone in Florida still have a real :metaknight: anymore?

I agree with ALL of this and that's how I made my pr wen we discussed it

:sonic:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I've been half watching the drama in this thread. I wanted to note that I find it hilarious that Xaltis has more than twice the number of posts as the next person down in this thread.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Just comparing it to Decisive Games where I generally have about that many on everyone else when the second best is someone with about 170.

Put a smile on, Xaltis. You ever get Silent Night Sona? I heard from a friend that they're going to start releasing a couple of the limited edition skins again on certain holidays next year. Dunno if he's right or if they'll start before January.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Put a smile on, Xaltis. You ever get Silent Night Sona? I heard from a friend that they're going to start releasing a couple of the limited edition skins again on certain holidays next year. Dunno if he's right or if they'll start before January.

Whaaat? I really hope they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom