• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYC/LI Power Ranking - New Rankings! Good stuff at Poly guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
is wes' tourney going to count for this cuz ima do like a ****load of MM's lmao.

and nice avy alex lulz
that's next sunday right? Yeah i guess we can end the rankings on that day cause there are two tournies that weekend i think so gives players plenty of opportunity to get some last good wins in

Jtails

Smash Lord
lol i would go to tournies for just mm's but no one ever wants to! :p

penta mblaze lets go!

Vinnie

Smash Master
If we end this season early (this weekend), we can end the next season at the same time that NJ ends their next season, thus synching the two states, season-wise :).

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Yeah that is a good idea. Also Vinnie and I are talking right now, just discussing it a little bit and I have a pretty good idea what I want it to look like. I really think we should have a Tier List PR, because it better reflects skill than having a number imo

I'll talk with panel people soon enough

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
OK so i just talked to Vinnie and i decided instead of ending it next week as i said earlier, we're gonna end it after this weekend so we're exact with NJ and that way next week ppl can start the season fresh with 2 tournies in one weekend

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
To be honest, every region should sync up the rankings with each other, I don't like seeing completely outdated material with new material and having to compare the both of them.

Such as 3 month intervals 4 times a year. (Sept - Nov, Dec - Feb, Mar-May, Jun-Aug)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i say the PR should have some sort of pokemon theme, either trainers, gym leaders, or legendary Pokemon :3

(dabuz hopes for #2 on PR)

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
i say the PR should have some sort of pokemon theme, either trainers, gym leaders, or legendary Pokemon :3

(dabuz hopes for #2 on PR)
Been done already

people should throw suggestions at me for this PR thing

also Sammy you're pretty solidly 2nd right now, so unless someone pulls ahead in an amazing way saturday you can rest your head knowing that all that pikmin throwing, pivot grabbing, and usmashing got you places, but brood woulda whistled it

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
question, why are PRs changed so infrequently.

I would think that you would want to have your PR be as accurate as possible.

For example:
After this next update lets say dabuz is number 2, and vinnie is number 7. But within the 1st month after the update, vinnie just breaks a major wall in his game, and just starts winning tourneys left and right, and everyone else in the region just gets scarily good at the olimar matchup. If only a few weeks later its firmly established that the only person better than vinnie in the region is anti, and that dabuz has fallen off of his game, why should it take 3 months to state what everyone knows and what is readily understood, one month in?

I never really understood that. Thats part of why up here in the rest of the state, I try to update my PR as often as possible, so that its always as accurate as possible.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
pretty much everyone good in the region knows the oli MU from me, or andyg or blackwaltz when they played (and maybe l0g!c)

and brood wouldn't whistle 5 mk upairs in a row or waaaaay to many nados...just sayin :3

but, to seriously respond, its just hard to do that, when you update a PR, you have to take into account every player, every tourney each player has gone to, and the players at those tournies, thats why updating it monthly or so isn't done, too much time, besides, stuff like that doesn't instantly happen, it happens over time (the only exception is when new players appear)

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
question, why are PRs changed so infrequently.

I would think that you would want to have your PR be as accurate as possible.

For example:
After this next update lets say dabuz is number 2, and vinnie is number 7. But within the 1st month after the update, vinnie just breaks a major wall in his game, and just starts winning tourneys left and right, and everyone else in the region just gets scarily good at the olimar matchup. If only a few weeks later its firmly established that the only person better than vinnie in the region is anti, and that dabuz has fallen off of his game, why should it take 3 months to state what everyone knows and what is readily understood, one month in?

I never really understood that. Thats part of why up here in the rest of the state, I try to update my PR as often as possible, so that its always as accurate as possible.
um...do you know what a power rankings is?

it shows who had the best accomplishments last season, 3 months ago.

when the rankings come out, a new fresh season is started. yeah sometimes they say "our current number 2 rank beat your 5th ranked" doesnt mean jack **** tbh.

might as well be a poster in your room.

people dont even look at the PR to see whos the best right now or something. people need to stop being lazy and check results for the region/nation. most do it now anyway. anyone with a brain can unbiasedly tell whos doing amazing, whos doing well, and whos not doing so good. this is why rankings arent a big deal as they were a year and a half ago.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im sorry, youll have to forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

I just assumed that a Power Ranking, is a ranking, of the current power (playing ability/skill) of the players in the area. I didnt realise that it was was a tallied win-loss ratio of tournament matches against the good people in an area from 3 months ago.

also, personally, I DO check many different regional PRs to see who (as I assumed was the point of a PR) is playing the best in any given region at any point in time

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Im sorry, youll have to forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

I just assumed that a Power Ranking, is a ranking, of the current power (playing ability/skill) of the players in the area. I didnt realise that it was was a tallied win-loss ratio of tournament matches against the good people in an area from 3 months ago.

also, personally, I DO check many different regional PRs to see who (as I assumed was the point of a PR) is playing the best in any given region at any point in time
Its ok. i thought like that too but then it hit me, why are some people getting praise for being on rankings if they do nothing? me for instance, i was on 3rd for a while but was so inactive and people would still consider me like top 5 mks over other people like shadow who keep doing well and better than me. ever since that i just look over results other than rankings.

Rankings ill look at to see who dominated between for example May-July.

san would beat u guys anyways
San is awesome.

B0NK

Smash Lord
lol they never are, yo gotta search for the good people. are you in othmer or clark? cause theres a player southpaw in othermer you guys can start playing together, since im not there yet
othmer, if you tell me what floor or his real name I would completely be up for that xD (in a pm of course)

Vinnie

Smash Master
STFU INUI ALL YOU EVER DO IS DO THIS STUFF LIKE COMING INTO OUR THREAD AND SAYING **** LIKE THAT, WELL I'VE HAD ENOUGH, **** YOU AND **** EVERYBODY UGHAHDFAHSDFLKASDJAS PRAXIS RAZER DPHAT DPHAT DPHAT ANTI VGBOOTCAMP DPHATPHDHPATHPHPDPHHDAPHTDPHDAPHATHPTHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

see you in a few hours

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Everyone we should be talking about rankings not this bs.

Stop it or i'll get a Mod in here.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Everyone we should be talking about rankings not this bs.

Stop it or i'll get a Mod in here.
Alex, have you seen the NJ PR thread? lol

Honestly, I don't mind if they use it as a social thread, I think it's fun that way. Just so long as we keep it strictly business when it comes time to actually do rankings.

Speaking of which, Vinnie just beat Ally and Atomsk today. Now making the rankings are gonna be prettty hard lmao

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
how do NY do their rankings for wins like vinnie on ally? do you consider the player and give the full win or did ally have to go snake or mk for it to count much?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Vinnie told me at the tournament after he beat Ally, when I asked the same question:

"it should count about as much as beating a good Falco like Keitaro or something"

Vinnie

Smash Master
If I got the full win then that's BS lol. I doubt it should change where I'm ranked much tbh, just count it as a really good Falco win or something, like Keitaro or some ****.

edit: ninja'd by the ******

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I can't tell whether Keitaro is good or not, lol. I ***** him game one, but game two was super close.

Usually...it's like...the other way around since I get used to his weirdness, but this time he was a bit different.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Alex, have you seen the NJ PR thread? lol

Honestly, I don't mind if they use it as a social thread, I think it's fun that way. Just so long as we keep it strictly business when it comes time to actually do rankings.

Speaking of which, Vinnie just beat Ally and Atomsk today. Now making the rankings are gonna be prettty hard lmao
congrads to Vinnie but this is not the NJ thread. We should start to act better than we are... I agree wit the social thread aspect I just would like a little less bickering.

As a player that is getting better, Vinnie and others, I want you to understand the responsibilities that are going to be coming as you get better. This is something I am seeing that we can better ourselves with and using our growing skill and notoriety to help others with their characters. If you guys are doing it already sweet but we should help our NY community grow and thats just one way to do it.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
a good way to help the community and tournaments is to let those with credible and amazing tournament hosting skills help host tournaments instead of randoms ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom