• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I would still go, and I agree with toby, doubles is where its at, I'd rather drop singles than doubles.
Although crews take ages, I think what really need's to happen is a crew tourney where only crews is played.
like I've said plenty of times before I am quite happy to host such a crew tourney if people are able to come down to ACT

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
LOL tedeth. GOOD ONE.

Btw I repped double spot dodge fsmash well with Wario in melbourne. REPRESENT.

Pools? I'd prefer just mother clucking seeded double eliminationzzzz, less matches to play, all that magical stuff.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What?

It's hardly elitist.
4 wins in a row is practically an average tournament's ultimate winner's bracket victory. I like only having to worry about 5 matches! Gives me more time for friendlies and sleeping.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
double elimination is fine, pools are only good if enough rounds can be played a short amount of pools gives bad results around the middle.

Dedu

Smash Lord
That's as close to foxywoxy as your going to get <3
Hahahahaha Cao is cuuted by Bjay's avatar already :p

Swiss rounds are great. I remember the tourney in Melb 1.5 years ago when Ken was here and Xeno got ***** by him in the first round of Swiss. I told him he was versing Ken first off (he didn't know) and he went all quiet... Funny and scary to watch at the same time!

swordsaint

Smash Master
Caotic, no one liners with no relevance please or ima infract you k? thx

on that note im still up for mothers day. what is swiss exactly though?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if you were resourceful you would look up swiss on wikipedia (lol wikipedia)
but basically everyone plays a match with someone at random for their first match, and its not best of 3, you simply play 2 matches and you get half a point for each you win, then the scores are entered and the next round begins where you fight someone else, but you are matched up with people with the same or similar score as you, and you do this for a number of rounds.
so basically you fight like 5 people who are more or less matched to your skill and then at the end of how ever many rounds you have, whoever has the top 8 scores goes into a double elim finals bracket.
quicker than pools, more reliable then DE

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
However, you can get screwed over more by swiss.

Swiss/Pools takes away the counter picking system. Where as a player could come out on top because their character does extremely well on neutrals. Plus a player who could easily be top 8 potential, vses the guy who'd most likely come first and the guy who'd most likely come second (or something similar) would most likely not make it through swiss. Losing the first round or two of swiss ruins your chances hard.

Whilst you can get 'bracket *****' in double elimination, when it is appropriately seeded, it tends to produce more accurate results.

Zero

Smash Hero
No one said you can't counterpick in the second match. Having double neutral matches means 8 Diddy Kongs will be in the Top 8. :<

Dedu

Smash Lord
Whilst you can get 'bracket *****' in double elimination
That is alot worse than losing due to counter picking advantages by the other player...

I'm all for Swiss over Double Elim.

S.D

Smash Master
Nah no CP in swiss, 2 random nuetrals, otherwise it's unbalanced. Swiss is about leaving things as nuetral as possible to get the fairest result. Its always been fine for melee because the nuetrals are fairly concrete.

Brawl would need a larger nuetral list than 3 for swiss obviously.

Also I doubt 8 Diddy Kongs for top 8, just because the nuetral stages are good for a character doesn't make people good with the character.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Yer also finals should be based on double elim results just go with the rules that are out there stop trying to be cool and ****:psycho: p.s everyone xeno has a new gf contratulate him

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
congratulations xeno, a winrar is you.
I disagree shaya, I feel that swiss is pretty much spot on if you have enough rounds, which is easily done since its quicker than pools, if you lose the first 2 rounds to the best 2 players (not gonna happen anyways if you lose to the best first round) then you'll make it back up in the next few rounds.
also newcomers and people who dont do as well still get to have many matches and improve their game nicely rather than having 2 or 3 matches then being out for the rest of the tourney.

Zero

Smash Hero
Loving the friendlies idea, but I think lots of people will be sore over not getting chosen. Democratic vote won't work, it'd be like voting in the Pirate King. also shy people will get less matches in, or newcomers since many are intimidated to ask the more skilled players (ie the panel) for games. Shaya won't like the idea of having to play lots of matches anyway.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
People ask me to play all the time and I say yes.

You just got to be manly enough to ask.

isthattim's idea is too pro. 4 hours of friendlies, where I sit back, chillax, and secretly pit everyone against eachother, and whoever tcr beats is instant top 8 bracket material.

S.D

Smash Master
I think everyone deserves a chance to win and to experience competition. Friendlies are important too but nobody deserves to be turfed, it would be way too hard to pick a top 8 anyway and new talent would rarely emerge. Anyway the point is Shaya should be made to play as many games as possible.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya should be made to play as many games as possible.
Oh dear lord.

My issue with swiss/pools is that the weaker players actually don't get to experience the MAIN part of competition that is important to the smash games. That is the stage and character counterpicking. New players tend to do their "I wub lucas" thing, and because of them never experiencing the 'real' part of the [competitive] game, they don't see the further options they can implement. The big important thing here is, of course, to have characters as backups for weak matchups and stuff, or knowing how to actually pick stages that benefit you and weaken your opponent and what not.

Having round robin that has the second match as a counterpick may be a good insight for the new players, but is unfair for the better ones (a point already brought up).

Seeding is why things are important. And perhaps (it is a bit audacious, but I think I've heard of America doing things similar) having a bit of amatuer bracket thing, for the new players/lower ranked players to generate appropriate seeding.

Top Bottom