• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

Toby.

Smash Master
New players tend to do their "I wub lucas" thing, and because of them never experiencing the 'real' part of the [competitive] game, they don't see the further options they can implement. The big important thing here is, of course, to have characters as backups for weak matchups and stuff, or knowing how to actually pick stages that benefit you and weaken your opponent and what not.
I wub pokemon trainer :bee:

Anyway. I like the way this conversation is going. It's all very interesting.

I think Tim's suggestion is awesome, but Ricky would probably be a better choice than me. He's been around a lot longer and knows you all much better :D

That having been said it wouldn't work because there would always be situations where people thought they had been unfairly kept out of the top 8, or somesuch. It would still be something fun to try though, for a bit of a change.

But I'm just thinking about the things that I would find enjoyable. Practicality is important as well i guess :)

S.D

Smash Master
Oh dear lord.

My issue with swiss/pools is that the weaker players actually don't get to experience the MAIN part of competition that is important to the smash games. That is the stage and character counterpicking. New players tend to do their "I wub lucas" thing, and because of them never experiencing the 'real' part of the [competitive] game, they don't see the further options they can implement. The big important thing here is, of course, to have characters as backups for weak matchups and stuff, or knowing how to actually pick stages that benefit you and weaken your opponent and what not.

Having round robin that has the second match as a counterpick may be a good insight for the new players, but is unfair for the better ones (a point already brought up).

Seeding is why things are important. And perhaps (it is a bit audacious, but I think I've heard of America doing things similar) having a bit of amatuer bracket thing, for the new players/lower ranked players to generate appropriate seeding.
Hey! I wub Lucas!

Maybe after pools or swiss or whatever there should be an 'amatuer' bracket single or double elimination tournament comprised of the offcuts. Leaving a top 8 (or 16 if its a **** off big tournament) or whatever to battle it out for the top prize. Perhaps there could be a small prize for the winner of the 'amatuer' bracket too or something.

That way everyone gets to keep playing after they normally would have been knocked out of the tournament. Time would be an issue of course...

Edit: You can't just have friendlies all day there's only so much you can learn from that. The real improvement comes from competitive experience, hell most people don't even try in friendlies, they just try new things and have fun.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Any particular date you're expecting or hoping for tedeth? Or have you got a few weekends free that we may be able to choose from?

It would still be something fun to try though, for a bit of a change.
This.

Although, unfortunately I can't see it go down too well because we have drama queens in our Smash scene.

So, I preferrably would not like to see this method.

Play well, place well, and get to the Top 8.

Swiss did work out pretty well at Shaya's tournaments. Need I remind of the times the tournaments finished at too? I was very happy with the finish times.

isthattim?

Smash Ace
imo good players know exactly how good they are,
i also think people would try in friendlies if they knew that they were being judged/evaluated
plus how does playing people not make you better (friendly or competitive?)
definitely better than bots

Zero

Smash Hero
Well, they wouldn't exactly be friendlies if their every move and decision, and eventually score were being scrutinised. So it would be like an incomplete, unorganised round robin. Who would there be to monitor as well? If the panel has to monitor everyone, do they get to play? Shaya won't mind, but IDK about Toby or Sam.

S.D

Smash Master
I vote no panel.

@ Zero: I honestly wouldn't care if I didn't play a brawl friendly... ever XD

Panel is way too hard anyway, there's more than 8 people that could be in top 8 imo. Wouldn't be fair and it doesn't give everyone a chance to pull upsets etc.

I don't really see whats wrong with the current system, but the amatuer bracket thing could be a good way to keep everyone involved, esp if there's incentive to win it.

Dedu

Smash Lord
1+ for Teddy <3

Panelism FTL.
Should be appointed by the people, not by the panelists themselves. This is Sparta!

Toby.

Smash Master
Eh, I think panel could be fun. I don't care if the panelists are drawn out of a hat, it would just be something to spice things up sometime. It would only be elitist if we made it elitist. That having been said I still think swiss / amateur bracket would be nicer.

I don't see the harm in just doing it sometime for the lols though.

S.D

Smash Master
Swiss is preferable imo.

If I was on the panel there'd probably be some ****ed up brackets.

I probably wouldn't put myself in either I'd feel like a jerk.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dont forget that I'm holding a tourney on the 31st (actually its unconfirmed as of yet) SO ****ING COME TO IT ALREADY!!!

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
nawww.....i miss u guys, except ted, i dont really miss you. i should mm match you for your drivers licence picture

I LAG

Smash Lord
Finally I Am Unbanned
**** YOU CAO YOU ****ING SON OF A ***** WHY THE **** DID YOU BAN ME YOU ****ING ***!
jokes :) i'll try to work on spamming less

so ted if 15-20people are willing to come on 10th may you'll host the tourney???

Zero

Smash Hero
Question: If Ted hosts his tournament on the first week of June, how many of you would consider coming to HV for a tournament on either the Queen's Birthday weekend or the weekend after (one or two weeks afterwards). Leaning towards the weekend after since people might be going away on the first one.

Zero

Smash Hero
Yeah, tournament on the Sunday, the Queen's Birthday long weekend makes it easier for people to go back home, if housing arrangements can be organised prior. Kinda like the Easter tournament but not. :]

F_T_S

Smash Journeyman
dont know how that works when your pretty much the loudest out of everyone shaya.

bahahahaha

i'm incredibly loud when i play...im pretty sure we have a video to prove it

...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

and Ted...not talking to u for 3 hours is not true, id swear at you

Top Bottom