• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Boost: REBOOT - Sunday, the 11th of September 2011

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i'm not trolling anyone (really wtf calm down guys)
shaya please enlighten me as to how a program can replace power rankings
elo just seems as useless as your brawl character rankings list
but if i'm wrong, please, fill me in jp

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i'm not trolling anyone (really wtf calm down guys)
shaya please enlighten me as to how a program can replace power rankings
elo just seems as useless as your brawl character rankings list
but if i'm wrong, please, fill me in jp
While it can not indefinitely replace them, how we base the power rankings in general are what elo covers...
Which is... player vs player statistics ONLY.

The more matches that are played, the more accurate it (should) become. Another difference is that there is no 'this tournament result means less than that tournament result'.

Also as there is no depreciation in the Elo (at this time), it can not indefinitely replace power rankings because inactive players would still remain ranked highly.

There are weaknesses to it, but as long as some conditions are met, it can become fairly decisive (as mentioned, it doesn't gauge 'oh this guy hasn't played in a while/that many tournaments' and/or 'well he lost to these people that day, but his hands were cut off so he couldn't play as well as he normally would' - also it doesn't give a flying crap whether its a major tournament or a scrubby monthly).

These elo rankings wouldn't "replace" power rankings (as in elo = power rankings) but more they would make the reason we make power rankings (seeding purposes) obsolete.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
the cancer comment is pretty spot on though, but you can hardly fault the guy deks

we all can only do so much with what we're given.

tedeth

Smash Master
I think Power Rankings are better because they allow for human imperfection to be considered.

Dekar is The Man. Don't infract the man for being The Man.

EDIT: I believe ELO could be used effectively for seeding but not as a showcase of who is where in terms of overall skill level.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think Power Rankings are better because they allow for human imperfection to be considered.

Dekar is The Man. Don't infract the man for being The Man.

EDIT: I believe ELO could be used effectively for seeding but not as a showcase of who is where in terms of overall skill level.
As I said, numbers can't replace some of the attributes we would normally look for in the power rankings. And I didn't ever intend it to be like "zomg elo shows whos da bestttttt"

elo is used in Chess,
the number one ranked person in FIDE's rankings isn't world champion.
It's great for seeding purposes and feasibly removing some of the strain of a PR, but it doesn't state who's the best in that order :p

tedeth

Smash Master
As I said, it's better for seeding but PR is better for actual rankings. What you said Shaya is literally what I was saying.

However, at the tourney you were like "ELD will replace Power Rankings."

Please don't say you didn't say that.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
lol @ these experiments. it sounds like ELO is a bit similar to SS -- am i wrong and ignorant in assuming so?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
swiss system. similar only in the way it uses data to give a ranking based on your performances against those who did better/worse than you

tedeth

Smash Master
Cao ELO is just a ranking system that gives you points/takes them away based on your performance against other players rather than overall tournament performance.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Swiss and Elo go 'well' together, because at the base of elo was originally

'win, loss, draw', which is whats used as a basis in swiss. Your score in elo is based on a win loss or draw. So I suppose CAO's right in that they share similarities. (well... more like the elo system was built for chess, and swiss tournaments originated from chess).

One noticeable different with using it with smash is that there are no 'draws'. A draw in chess would actually result in a point/loss gain unless both players had the same elo.

Its why I take into consideration whether or not you won a round in a set.

In a best of three set you can get 100% of the points (2-0) or 66% of the points (2-1) [so the loser only lost 66% of the base points).
In a best of five each match is worth 20% of the points, etc etc.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Swiss and Elo go 'well' together, because at the base of elo was originally

'win, loss, draw', which is whats used as a basis in swiss. Your score in elo is based on a win loss or draw. So I suppose CAO's right in that they share similarities. (well... more like the elo system was built for chess, and swiss tournaments originated from chess).

One noticeable different with using it with smash is that there are no 'draws'. A draw in chess would actually result in a point/loss gain unless both players had the same elo.

Its why I take into consideration whether or not you won a round in a set.

In a best of three set you can get 100% of the points (2-0) or 66% of the points (2-1) [so the loser only lost 66% of the base points).
In a best of five each match is worth 20% of the points, etc etc.
in combination i think they're great setups -- any data-junkie would agree. sports get their stats through **** like this. <3

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
that's disgusting, especially given brawl's crazy one sided counterpicks
A player always has the option to change characters. Elo doesn't care about you only being able to use diddy kong and not being good on brinstar :p

The winner will always get more than half of the points no matter how many matches he loses in a set. People who wish to get the best 'Elo' will strive to not lose a match in a set; alternatively, a person will want to slow their descent by working hard to at least take one match off of a 'better' player.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
its true.

also as if it was that little for a major.

and it should be your responsability to give it to us, not ours to remind you (even though we do all the ****ing time)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I say to you, nicely, every time.

Remind me before a tournament.
You never do.

And you guys got 3rd place, 10% of the pot. It wasn't that much money.
I think it was $40 or under. Something around that.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
what trolling, you asked me to remind you before a tourney and I just did.

but in all honesty, why you getting mad, your the one who should be taking responsability, not palming that off to us.
its your mistake that you need to fix.

Rad

Smash Ace
Can we set a date for the next tourney before we all go smash emo and forget that they're actually worth having again? :bee:

Zxv

Smash Lord
I'm definitely booked for the next two weekends. Animania sounds like it'd drag quite a few Smashers away with it, so I guess 20th was a bad idea. 27th more plausible?

Top Bottom