• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
well, ok, maybe i did take it a bit out of context. he's probably a pretty cool guy. but i still think he shouldnt say such things in the thread repeatedly. the only reason i even brought it up is because it keeps happening. and if he's just joshing us, how am i supposed to know this? dont get me wrong..i dont care. not one bit. but im still gonna voice my opinion. on that note, i also think this thread should be kept to smash talk only. i know that for the most part it is, like posting of vids and talk of meets and what-not, but you gotta admit there's alot of 'nothing' posts that there is no need for. im not trying to be a NS thread nazi, im just putting forth this thought. if someone comes to this thread for the first time looking for whats being discussed...well im sure they would be quickly discouraged going through endless pages of 'chat'. or if something comes up, its almost always pushed back 4 pages by the end of week. all the smash related things seem to get washed away. if i didnt have this sort of maternal feeling being the thread creator i probably wouldnt have read all 30-some pages to get caught up when i came back not too long ago xD haha it was amusing tho. that's just my view. like or lump it. flame me if you must, at least there would be interesting conversation ^.^ i know there's a small crowd of regulars and you guys use this to chat to each other. that's cool. the thread was created to do just that, bring us NS smashers together. and on a positive note you guys chatting keeps the thread active and alive. and I KNOW one could bring up the arguement that if this type of chat wasnt going on the thread would be 'dead'. but i still think anything posted should have at least some minute relation to smash. all i ask is that you keep that in mind. feel free to completely ignore me and develop some kind of opinion of how i am based on what i've been saying. gotta love the internet for that. i want to play against bigger and better players just as much as the next Joe Capebreton or Susie Mainlander. that's why we're all here. its nice to see the community that's developed. it will allow us to play against each other and improve over all. zhao, your right, what player has ever been recognized from NS? nobody. because we took too long to organize ourselves like this and we're way behind. we're just a child community. and alberta pops in every once and a while to bully us >.> (i like to make jokes based on analogies i've created, dont be so uptight) just because we're not know to the rest of the world doesnt mean we dont have the talent. we just havnt had a chance to make ourselves known. and that's normal being so far away from the rest of the country and US. some of you say we suck, i disagree. it has nothing to do with skill, its about experience. being involved in the mainstream smash scene you end up facing many different people with different styles of play. eventually you learn how to how to not fall into their combos. but your base skill level didnt change, just your application of that skill. so our top notch players have the skill to become recognized but it takes time. and since we're so far behind, so far away from the rest of the world, it hasnt happened yet. the start of our community...was it 2 years ago?...is just the beginning. we're all getting to play dozens of other 'good' smashers and we're all improving our tactics. id say just keep a positive attitude about that. especially you zhao, you of all people have the best chance of going 'pro' or getting recognized at least. werent' you supposed to go some ontario tournament. i think that would have been the first known time someone from NS went to an out of province tourney. uhh, so what was my point? i lost my train of thought xD il just stop there for now, im sure i could keep going on forever...

and welcome Nysyarc! did you read the OP, it should have the link to the facebook group for Halifax Smash. if your looking for offical tournament information that's the place to go. you can register for tournaments there as well. so where are you from? im sure all these guys are eager for fresh blood haha

i played melee not too long ago and man its hard switch between wavedashing and endless air dodging. il keep playing tho and il eventually get back into it. im kinda over brawl. after trying to get ready for that last big tourney i realized that i dont really like brawl all that much. except when i beat zhao's MK with Zelda xD dude, were you really trying that time? other than that you beat me pretty much every time. so i guess i just got lucky. i think i only really like melee so much because of wavedashing and l-cancelling. as soon as they took that away it ruined it for me. so im just gonna stick to melee, for fun. for those who want to go 'pro' good luck! your gonna need it

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
ontario was going to happen at the end of july, but lack of money + ppl dropping out made it pointless. i'll be hitting up a NFLD tourny in a few months though, so we'll see how that goes :)

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I thought he was just yankin yer chain there.

I can't say when I'd be able to make it down for any thing that isn't a solid tourney. I can't even make it into the city for bi-weeklies...

Set a date that's a ways away, and I'll see what I can do Kev.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
yes Kevin I would hold a tournament at my place. it would have to be this week asap

ps I will get the vids up soon I suffered a minor setback when my hdd droped to the icy asphalt

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
this week? haha not likely. im thinking january.
tournament? no thanks. that's what the facebook group is for.
like i said i just want a small group. if nobody wants to do that then i wont bother going up until there is some kind of offical tourney
that's too bad Nick, il let you know of a date if i manage to nail one down

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
and welcome Nysyarc! did you read the OP, it should have the link to the facebook group for Halifax Smash. if your looking for offical tournament information that's the place to go. you can register for tournaments there as well. so where are you from? im sure all these guys are eager for fresh blood haha
That was an impressive wall of text you had going on there :dizzy:

And thanks, I'm already in the Facebook group though; I went to Hellasmashed III and I'm going to bi-weeklies and stuff now. Good to know there's at least one place on SWF for us New Scotsmen.

And let me know if any of the above posts actually result in a local event; I'll be there.

:034:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
january would be rough though because i think they said the next tourny is in january. unless we did this beforehand which would be gold :D

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
haha yea, my wall of rant .....

well, i say january because by then il have gotten a few paychecks and will have paid off what i need to and i will be able to spend some recreation money. it could very well happen much before then. 2 months is a long time. kinda.

hmm, im gonna check out the FB group and get back to you

... wtf. did they change how FB groups look? looks pretty lame now. i learned nothing

il just post something about getting together at the end of the month and we'l see what things are like then

Nysyarc, what place did you get in that tourney? just out of curiousity

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
all facebook groups are like that now, we can't change it :/
and yeah, the next tourney will most likely be january, pending our venues availability. i'm personally unable to get involved with naything before january and you all know that power doesn't flow when zues is busy.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nysyarc, what place did you get in that tourney? just out of curiousity
Well, technically I was tied for 13th out of ~60 people (I think? Maybe more maybe less), but since we had pools it lists me as tied for 13th out of 16, cause only 16 of us made it out of pools. I went 8-1 in my pool though, I think I just lost my nerve once I actually got seeded into the main tourney.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
return to captain falcon punch 2 (name pending, haha) will have 60. beleive it.
and katie will come because she likes to lose money.

jk, you likes to pay for hours of entertainment.
is it a general distaste for the game itself or is it frustration with keeping up with skill level?

camden

Smash Apprentice
Of course it'll have 60. You've got me now! ;D Ads are gonna go up all around the West. Believe it. I'll also try not to choke and fail at this tourney.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
There was probably 38 people, so ~40. 60 would be like whoa.
I seem to remember there being more than just four pools, and there had to have been ~9 people to a pool. Oh well, I still vote no more pools from now on. That took hours and was just all-around pretty lamesauce. Moar friendlies time instead.

Or maybe a low-tier tourney, so I can be broken.

camden

Smash Apprentice
Whether to include D Tier for Low-Tier tourneys is up to the TOs. I've seen some tourneys have C Tier acceptable, but that's just crazy. D Tier allows for more variety, E Tier allows for true Low Tier action. It doesn't matter to me though, I'd just use Mario anyway. ^_^

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
lol at this pro, my jiggs would own you :)

pools was long yah, but lame? naw. it was awesome to play that many people.
also the count was 36 for brawl singles

camden

Smash Apprentice
Brawl had 36, I think Melee had 20, or something like that. Brawl Doubles had 24.

The pools were fun. They just take waaaay too long. let's hope Melee and Brawl Doubles get more attention next time.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
return to captain falcon punch 2 (name pending, haha) will have 60. beleive it.
and katie will come because she likes to lose money.

jk, you likes to pay for hours of entertainment.
is it a general distaste for the game itself or is it frustration with keeping up with skill level?
Haha, wrong and wrong. I'm contributing to Zhao's college fund.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what it is. I feel like I've lost my passion for Brawl, and I've burnt myself out trying to get better. I was at a point where my Zelda was pretty good, but it had reached a plateau, and my Sheik wasn't really going anywhere. At this point, I branched off into Blazblue and other fighting games, but I wasn't really playing Brawl anymore, so any skills I gained were pretty much lost. But when I try to play Brawl, I dunno, everything feels wrong. It just doesn't click in my head anymore. And this was excruciatingly evident in the last tournament. I just couldn't play. And it's never been about skill level, so I've always been pretty mediocre at it. I just came out to have a good time. (That's what she said.)

But in all seriousness, I've pretty much given up on Brawl, I think. If I come out to any more tourneys, I'll probably just play Melee. Even though I've never played it before, and there's probably no chance that I'll be able to wavedash or L-cancel (or even ledge-grab!), I feel like I would enjoy it more. And according to Simon, Melee is more fun to play than Brawl.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
^ that's kind of what happened to me when I switched from brawl to melee. except it wasn't really a plateau kind of thing, I just started playing melee and brawl was no longer interesting and, as you said, it didn't "click" anymore.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
<333333 Katie

anything going on for tomorrow night? i can't go home from 5 till 11 cause there's a party at my house and mama said to gtfo.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Bump of untold amounts of justice.

<3 NS.

I'd ask someone to brawl me but I could just do that on Facebook... and I don't have my Wii right now anyways. I wanted to get a bunch of replays at that last bi-weekly, but I ended up only getting one.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, I don't even think anyone saves replays at bi-weeklies, but we should. If I ever stop procrastinating and get homebrew for my Wii I may start bringing it in.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
does anybody have a hacked wii and has messed around with codes or whatever to change the gameplay mechanics in brawl? i saw a video on youtube and couldnt believe some of the stuff i was seeing. like, removing the lag on all the moves, infinite jumps, peach having donkey kongs walk and moveset....i mean, it was so epic the things on there....multiple super duper smash moves in a row. im just wondering if anybody knows how its done or has any info on it at all

Top Bottom