• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
well this way you just stay subpar and not ever play any of the good players at all since we like....tournaments

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah if that's your attitude then it's fine to just have fests with a bunch of friends and no really good players. I'm just saying for the players who actually do want to get better then it's probably not the best idea. I guess i've just never been able to see it any other way than wanting to be one of the best XD

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah if that's your attitude then it's fine to just have fests with a bunch of friends and no really good players. I'm just saying for the players who actually do want to get better then it's probably not the best idea. I guess i've just never been able to see it any other way than wanting to be one of the best XD
Your very best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdpFcJ3BUI

krnred225

Smash Journeyman
Before you read this, I'm not directing it at you, Plank. I know you're a pretty good guy. Your reply just made me want to rant a little bit about this sort of general attitude towards Smash events.

So you won't come to a non-tournament event because there won't be any good players? Unfortunately, other good players like you think this way. It seems that if there's no money involved, good players won't show up.

Why? You could say it's because they can't play at their best or take it seriously if there's nothing to lose/gain. What if someone were to host a free tournament with only your pride at stake? Would you attend then? Probably not. As it turns out, some of the best players are in it for the money and only come when they have a chance at monetary gain.

Are you saying that those of us who attend non-tournament events aren't as serious about getting better as those who don't?

It shouldn't take money to create competition.

boss8

Smash Hero
Before you read this, I'm not directing it at you, Plank. I know you're a pretty good guy. Your reply just made me want to rant a little bit about this sort of general attitude towards Smash events.

So you won't come to a non-tournament event because there won't be any good players? Unfortunately, other good players like you think this way. It seems that if there's no money involved, good players won't show up.

Why? You could say it's because they can't play at their best or take it seriously if there's nothing to lose/gain. What if someone were to host a free tournament with only your pride at stake? Would you attend then? Probably not. As it turns out, some of the best players are in it for the money and only come when they have a chance at monetary gain.

Are you saying that those of us who attend non-tournament events aren't as serious about getting better as those who don't?

money=power=respect>pride......

if it aint money there is no point.....sadly =/

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
yea guyz the rally goood players will not come so we wont get any better? ROOOFL gtfo with that **** me thumbs korn and boss can become better than you with just playing... because we just like to whoop each others ***** xD

i'll give you that money makes you play better but i remember you use to come over to dolls house all the time just to play What happened you became to good to do that anymore?

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
yea guyz the rally goood players will not come so we wont get any better? ROOOFL gtfo with that **** me thumbs korn and boss can become better than you with just playing... because we just like to whoop each others ***** xD

i'll give you that money makes you play better but i remember you use to come over to dolls house all the time just to play What happened you became to good to do that anymore?
ouchie...... LOL
what a cool post to read before I go to work D:

chinesahh

Smash Lord
Unfortunatly I am guilty of winning and leaving. That being said, even if I didn't win or make any profit at all, I would still leave almost immediately afterwards. Sometimes I don't feel like playing smash ALL day.

Now that I'm aware, I would definetly show and stay, win or not. MD/VA sucks *** in melee now so we need to play as much as possible. I'd even help you guys out if you wanted (lol im still rusty but i can try).

All I ask is that you have tournaments if I were to come. I can't justify driving over an hour to play melee when I can drive 5 minutes to play melee.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Unfortunatly I am guilty of winning and leaving. That being said, even if I didn't win or make any profit at all, I would still leave almost immediately afterwards. Sometimes I don't feel like playing smash ALL day.

Now that I'm aware, I would definetly show and stay, win or not. MD/VA sucks *** in melee now so we need to play as much as possible. I'd even help you guys out if you wanted (lol im still rusty but i can try).

All I ask is that you have tournaments if I were to come. I can't justify driving over an hour to play melee when I can drive 5 minutes to play melee.
Teach me sometime. I am noob.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Do not misconceive, people leaving right after the tournament doesn't have nearly as much to do with me halting my tournaments as others seem to be saying. Last I checked, Travis was the first to actually ask why I stopped hosting tournaments. I never gave anything close to a good explanation, and I'm surprised it wasn't brought up way sooner.

Good players leaving right after the tournament does not bother me so much. The irksome thing is that there are subpar players that leave right after as well.

I don't like hosting tournaments in my basement. I have never liked hosting tournaments in my basement. With the exclusion of of SMASH F³ (and its predecessors), my tournaments have always been organized because other people want them to be tournaments instead of smashfests.

When I started hosting regularly, Melee was close to being dead. Every person who was coming to my smash stuff would tell me that Melee was dying. Melee was getting tiresome and Brawl was taking over. I never thought that, ever. Four months after the release of Brawl, when I started hosting these, I knew that as long as Brawl exists competitively, Melee cannot die. People will realize Brawl's limits and look for expansion, and by virtue of nearest neighbor, Melee will be sought.

One year later, I have been nothing but right.

There are other hosts now. I don't have to go through the stress of hosting tournaments in my basement now, because someone else will be there to pick up the slack. My basement is not a venue, it is part of my home.

If I had a car and a venue, I would begin hosting tournaments again in a heartbeat.

It's a miracle I'm as good (read: mediocre) at smash as I am. I've been playing for just short of two years. By my count, I've been to two 'real' tournaments that were not hosted by me, one at Chu's and the other at MAGFest. Though MAGFest was full of noobs, I knew then, that's what a tournament is supposed to feel like. My tournaments generate nothing like that. My tournaments are smashfests without flexibility.

I'm not going to deal with being uncomfortable in my own basement while putting out a suboptimal product. Not anymore. Maybe when I get my driver's license I'll start hosting tournaments again, if I can find a venue.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
People will realize Brawl's limits and look for expansion, and by virtue of nearest neighbor, Melee will be sought.

^exactly what happened to me.
anyway smashfests are fun but tourneys always generate that "i wanna win" feeling out of people that smashfests will never generate, and it almost makes smash the type of game it is competitively wise today. i dunno all i know is i prefer tourneys over smashfests

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
CK, korn, come to SSIV! You don't necessarily have to enter the tourney but tons of people always stay after.

Also CK, thumbs and boss go to tourneys often lol

Anyways i would've loved to come to this but I'm busy tomorrow. Have fun guys.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend

No that's not what I'm saying. If you play all the time just for fun and some people only play for money, you'll eventually catch up to them because they don't practice enough. However you will have a hard time catching those who practice ALL the time AND attend tournaments often, since a serious tournament setting with money/pride on the line means SOOOOOOOO much at a high level.

A lot of times at a higher level people have issues (at least I know I do) with the STRESS and PRESSURE of tournament settings. No matter how many fests or free tournies I attend, this will NEVER be able to help me with this problem, so I prefer real tournies.

I know a lot of people have this same issue or will if they get to that level.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
I don't see why money has to be on the line for people to play their absolute best. I know that money makes me play no different. The difference between me having a serious match and me having a casual match is that in a serious one there isn't someone talking to me and I'm not talking to someone else, and because of that, I'm able to focus better.

I have major issues with tournament stress/pressure, and yes, tournaments are probably the best way to build up a resistance to that. Though, I don't think most anybody has such platonic reasoning for attending tournaments.

You have to play for fun all the time if you want to be great. You can't play this game for the sole reason of getting better at it; with a mindset like that you'll never make it to the top. You have to enjoy the game, not just the competition.

lol why would I hate you?
you always get the blunt end of my interactions >_>

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
No that's not what I'm saying. If you play all the time just for fun and some people only play for money, you'll eventually catch up to them because they don't practice enough. However you will have a hard time catching those who practice ALL the time AND attend tournaments often, since a serious tournament setting with money/pride on the line means SOOOOOOOO much at a high level.

A lot of times at a higher level people have issues (at least I know I do) with the STRESS and PRESSURE of tournament settings. No matter how many fests or free tournies I attend, this will NEVER be able to help me with this problem, so I prefer real tournies.

I know a lot of people have this same issue or will if they get to that level.
dawg i hear you still get stressed and then start to plank so what we did is put a plank inside your plank ... yo imma let you finish but i heard planking is one of hte best ways to camp of all time all time!

chinesahh

Smash Lord
Sypher I agree that you have to have fun and enjoy the activity you are doing to get good at it.

But if you think you can "get to the top" in smash without practicing and playing in tournaments, without having fun and enjoying tournaments, then you won't ever get good at tournaments. Competition is an aspect in sthis game and you have to enjoy that as well as the game to get good or to prove anything.

I understand where you're coming from tho. It's your house so it's your call man

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
You're only half asian. So you can cut out half the asian stereotypes. Like, you play go, and video games, and you're short.

Top Bottom