• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Mahone, you should come. You're part of this community just like any of us, and even more so because you live here in MD/VA. I know you are away at school, and the circuit tourney is 3 hours away~ ? But just because the entry fee is 10$ more? Show some support and or some love, you are talking like you aren't a part of our region. Or almost as if you're "too good" to come. Play the game you love, or atleast enjoy playing.. And if you don't atleast enjoy playing melee, then find something else to do and don't complain.
Actually, I don't think they should come. It's not worth it.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Yo hot money chill out man, I don't think I'm too good to show up, I just don't like how serious nova smash is getting, but you're right I shouldn't come in here and complain... My bad.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
lol, i wasn't trying to say it like that, i just feel like we don't need to make it 10 dollars to convince people to go
I mean, if you like 10 person tournaments. Forever.

That's not the answer I was looking for.

I'll ask again.

IS MD/VA GOING TO STEP IT UP?
I GOT YOU CHIVAL, **** YEAH!

u know i was just about to make my comeback to smash

but then i see mahones not gonna be here

and as if THAT wasnt enough.... no minq either?!?!

i def quit smash forever now
Got em. Play melee with me.

Mahone... you don't like how srs smash is getting? Uh.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I mean, if you like 10 person tournaments. Forever.

I GOT YOU CHIVAL, **** YEAH!

Got em. Play melee with me.

Mahone... you don't like how srs smash is getting? Uh.
Ya, i like 10 person tournaments... we all go out to chipotle and chill out and start the tourney at like 6pm, and then just play a bunch of friendlies and have a tourney where no one really cares if they lose, but whtever, hot$ is right, i shouldn't just come in here and complain, its kind of a **** move to sypher.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Ya, i like 10 person tournaments... we all go out to chipotle and chill out and start the tourney at like 6pm, and then just play a bunch of friendlies and have a tourney where no one really cares if they lose, but whtever, hot$ is right, i shouldn't just come in here and complain, its kind of a **** move to sypher.
That's why we suck. Do you understand that? As long as you know that you're fully entitled to your opinion lol lately I'm all about helping the community, tournaments are eh.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
WOAH BRO

this is competitive smash man WELCOME TO THE REAL **** BROLAF

THIS ISH IS GOING TO BE MAD SERIOUS

i meani understand that losing to the sage makes you weezy about entering tournaments but you gotta step it up bro

:awesome:

hot$

Smash Ace
i'm not trying to sound rude or mean. I just think that the fact, you are not interested in a bigger turnout is odd.. This game isn't exactly flourishing and growing everyday, so when we can have a bigger turnout, it sounds nice.... especially in MD/VA, and if you can't make it, atleast try to support it some.. We all play the same game, and I understand you like the smaller turnouts but, idk just its nice to have something "big" here and there.

Mahone

Smash Champion
WOAH BRO

this is competitive smash man WELCOME TO THE REAL **** BROLAF

THIS ISH IS GOING TO BE MAD SERIOUS

i meani understand that losing to the sage makes you weezy about entering tournaments but you gotta step it up bro

:awesome:
more like freek

Next time I won't pull any turnips if you it makes you so mad...

j/k lol.
lol, people are just making fun of me, i never said it made me mad, i always thought you just outplayed me and i'm really not upset you beat me.

i'm not trying to sound rude or mean. I just think that the fact, you are not interested in a bigger turnout is odd.. This game isn't exactly flourishing and growing everyday, so when we can have a bigger turnout, it sounds nice.... especially in MD/VA, and if you can't make it, atleast try to support it some.. We all play the same game, and I understand you like the smaller turnouts but, idk just its nice to have something "big" here and there.
I'ts not the bigger turnout that I'm opposed to... i guess my other post wasn't clear, but i like small and big tournaments, its more about the whole ranking and more money thing, but its whatever, like you said, i don't want to complain, so we can just leave it at that.

That's why we suck. Do you understand that? As long as you know that you're fully entitled to your opinion lol lately I'm all about helping the community, tournaments are eh.
We don't suck, i don't know why you always say that....

Bones0

Smash Legend
Kinda agree with Mahone. $5 for entry fee is plenty enough for any tournament that isn't over 25 or so people. I understand the top players need some incentive to come, but so do the lower skilled players. It's kind of lame dropping mad money for an entry fee when the same 2-3 people win every tournament. I don't think money is a real motivator either. We did a free tourney last weekend, and everyone seemed to try just as hard as usual. If the tournament for the PRs was only $5, people would still be trying their ***** off. And if they don't, sucks for them. They get a crappy ranking and will be seeded worse.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Kinda agree with Mahone. $5 for entry fee is plenty enough for any tournament that isn't over 25 or so people. I understand the top players need some incentive to come, but so do the lower skilled players. It's kind of lame dropping mad money for an entry fee when the same 2-3 people win every tournament. I don't think money is a real motivator either. We did a free tourney last weekend, and everyone seemed to try just as hard as usual. If the tournament for the PRs was only $5, people would still be trying their ***** off. And if they don't, sucks for them. They get a crappy ranking and will be seeded worse.
YESSS

Thanks man, this is exactly what i meant.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
but i mean... this is the first time sypher has ever raised the entry fee up (im pretty sure, anyway)? so what's the big deal trying something different? I'd agree with Bones0's post if it was $10 EVERY time, for a small tourney, but what you don't get is that it IS a small tourney BECAUSE of the small entry fee. all i read is "id rather play $5 to play my own version of scrubby melee, then play $10 and play with people who actually know how to play".

I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything.... I'm just saying..... why even go to/enter tournaments if that is your mindset? accepting defeat before playing, wanting to play scrubs/easier bracket? I'm not trying to "be super serious", but i mean, it's a tournament, it's competition..... serious is what it is.

and to be honest, most of us old school players dont care about the PRs or any of that..... I feel rewarded by the $30-$50 or however much cash i get to go use as spending money.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
yes CK, there is a smashfest today. anybody is welcome to come as of now.

Sumeet, I think you just don't understand certain things about the smash tounament dynamic. I'm not going to post some long essay about why it's $10 because the internet is a breeding ground for misconceptions. That said, I could clear things up super easily if you contact me directly.

Mahone

Smash Champion
but i mean... this is the first time sypher has ever raised the entry fee up (im pretty sure, anyway)? so what's the big deal trying something different? I'd agree with Bones0's post if it was $10 EVERY time, for a small tourney, but what you don't get is that it IS a small tourney BECAUSE of the small entry fee, all i read is "id rather play $5 to play my own version of scrubby melee, then play $10 and play with people who actually know how to play".

I think you have some reading comprehension issues.

I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything.... I'm just saying..... why even go to/enter tournaments if that is your mindset? accepting defeat before playing, wanting to play scrubs/easier bracket? I'm not trying to "be super serious", but i mean, it's a tournament, it's competition..... serious is what it is.

Are tournaments not aloud to be serious if its 5 dollars? Most syphers I've been to are stacked... i don't see how Im accepting defeat before playing if i don't think the entry needs to be 10 dollars....

and to be honest, most of us old school players dont care about the PRs or any of that..... I feel rewarded by the $30-$50 or however much cash i get to go use as spending money.

Ya, and then most of you leave, or only play if we mm you.... you're whole argument boils down to the fact you think people should have to pay pros to play them, but i don't see why that's the case. I understand that you should get some sort of reward for being as good as you are, but the amount you win should be enough, if thumbs was winning every tourney, i would gladly pay a 20 dollar entry fee, because i know he wouldn't just leave afterwards or only play mms.
yes CK, there is a smashfest today. anybody is welcome to come as of now.

Sumeet, I think you just don't understand certain things about the smash tounament dynamic. I'm not going to post some long essay about why it's $10 because the internet is a breeding ground for misconceptions. That said, I could clear things up super easily if you contact me directly.
I know why its 10 dollars, and i think you should keep it at 10 dollars because it will attract more/better people and that is what you want.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How close does the Metro get Sypher

In case College Park needs to Metro bus our way down from the Metro train
Or would anyone be willing to pick us up from the nearest Metro
After I figure out if Matt wants to go because I forgot that he had a car...

I found the remote to our smaller TV so we can bring 2 full setups if necessary. I think last one I went to we could've used like, one more setup somewhere xD

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
How close does the Metro get Sypher

In case College Park needs to Metro bus our way down from the Metro train
Or would anyone be willing to pick us up from the nearest Metro
After I figure out if Matt wants to go because I forgot that he had a car...

Here's a link to a map...

Take the Gold 2 or Green 2 CUE buses and get off near the KFC. Alternatively you could take the 3C metro bus or something. Not completely sure on that number so you should look it up. The CUE bus is totally better though.

I found the remote to our smaller TV so we can bring 2 full setups if necessary. I think last one I went to we could've used like, one more setup somewhere xD
I have another TV now thanks to hot$, so you might just want to bring one if you go by metro. It'd save you some trouble.

Bones0

Smash Legend
but i mean... this is the first time sypher has ever raised the entry fee up (im pretty sure, anyway)? so what's the big deal trying something different? I'd agree with Bones0's post if it was $10 EVERY time, for a small tourney, but what you don't get is that it IS a small tourney BECAUSE of the small entry fee. all i read is "id rather play $5 to play my own version of scrubby melee, then play $10 and play with people who actually know how to play".

I mean, I'm not too concerned that the PR tournaments will be $10 since they're only going to happen once every month and a half or so. I was just saying it rarely has any effect on the quality of game play. I disagree with you on the mindset part, though. If I actually had the mindset that I could beat anyone, I'd get frustrated really quickly. I play to improve against people I realize I probably can't beat. When it actually comes down to tournament I am still trying 100%, but when I get knocked out by someone who has been playing 5-6 years more than me, it's hard to get too upset over it. I'm glad you guys feel rewarded by the $50 you get for winning, but at the same time that's money coming out of other players' pockets, and past a certain point it tends to just feel like a salary to pay other players who basically know they are going to win. I don't want an easier bracket, I just don't want to have to shell out so much money. I want to support the community by entering tournaments, but I have been frequently considering just not entering tournaments until I get better. It just costs too much, is basically what it comes down to.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
How will you get better without entering tournaments, though, I wonder?

Nah, but I agree with you to some extent, Bones. At least, I see your point. Good post by the way.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I mean, I'm not too concerned that the PR tournaments will be $10 since they're only going to happen once every month and a half or so. I was just saying it rarely has any effect on the quality of game play. I disagree with you on the mindset part, though. If I actually had the mindset that I could beat anyone, I'd get frustrated really quickly. I play to improve against people I realize I probably can't beat. When it actually comes down to tournament I am still trying 100%, but when I get knocked out by someone who has been playing 5-6 years more than me, it's hard to get too upset over it. I'm glad you guys feel rewarded by the $50 you get for winning, but at the same time that's money coming out of other players' pockets, and past a certain point it tends to just feel like a salary to pay other players who basically know they are going to win. I don't want an easier bracket, I just don't want to have to shell out so much money. I want to support the community by entering tournaments, but I have been frequently considering just not entering tournaments until I get better. It just costs too much, is basically what it comes down to.
Great post.

How will you get better without entering tournaments, though, I wonder?

Nah, but I agree with you to some extent, Bones. At least, I see your point. Good post by the way.
I would say that a majority of my improvement is done at smashfests... do you really get that much better if you get to play 2 games against a pro who 3 stocks you?

You need to occasionallly enter tournies to see how much you have improved, and also to practice playing under pressure, but really, you don't improve that much during the tournament....

I guess i would use the analogy of taking a test, during the test you might be able to figure a thing or two out, but really you did the majority of the work in your room with the lights off on, but you still need to take the test occasionally to make sure you understand everything.....

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think playing in tournaments greatly increases your ability to play in tournaments
At least, if you suffer from nerves haha

chillindude829

Smash Master
hopefully plenty of ppl cuz me and azen are garbage now so if u ever wanted to beat us nows ur chance

edit: also i will take any and all mvc3/ssf4 MMs of course if theres a setup

Kaffei

Smash Hero
chillin can i play u 1v1
I am extremely super bad you can JV 6 stock me very easily

Top Bottom