• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

TheMintyCookie

Smash Journeyman
Snap, i don't play anymore. I don't know where my gamecube went and i let my friend borrow my smash and another friend randomly has all my controllers. etcetcetc. I'm surprised there's still a random fad about me. I am quite pleased, i must admit...makes me wanna play again =]

I stopped playing cus mik left... never really liked the game to that extreme, but whenever we hung out, mik just wanted to smash and i guess that was the only reason i kept playing... when he left, we all just stopped smashing completely.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
xD i like how it says "smash child" with rubberduckies on his avatar.

man i remember when smashboards used to be only n00b, journeyman, apprentice, and lord. now there's all kinds of stuff >_> and hundreds of people have customs.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
snap and foxroar arent on the list anymore due to either inactivity or request to be taken off, so if they were on DC would be 11-12ish
Well I don't know if Snap would be top 10 anymore if he wasn't removed, he'd be up there though ;D. And foxroar was removed so yeah it probly woulda made DC 11th, but w/e he's hella good.

EDIT: Also Isai is 0th so like, alot of people moved up cuz of that

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Way to use "alot" even after I bashed your head in for it last night.

Newb.

If I had to guess, Snap would be something like 13-16 on this list.

Foxroar is hella good.

"but then again pokefloats did most of the work =P but yeah no johns"

LOL. John, but no johns. Precisely. As if inserting 3 words at the end of a john somehow cancels it out.

EDIT: Wow, I'm an *** LOL. I'm awesome. I love everyone.

TheMintyCookie

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, aren't you that most polite guy ever? Yeah, you were cool... You owned me. Anyways, you were the most polite guy ever. You must get all the ladies.

Edit: I just remembered, your hair was fierce. So now i'm sure you get all the ladies. Nobody can tame that.

sidefx

Smash Champion
sheridan i hate you so much right now i want to rip your face off with my DAZE EFFEKT

edit: if snap was on the list, he would be 11th imo, hes too good so all in all dc would be like 13th cause isai is counted as 0 so everyone really moves down a spot, so yeah. GEE GEE HUGO. GEE GEE

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yeah, aren't you that most polite guy ever? Yeah, you were cool... You owned me. Anyways, you were the most polite guy ever. You must get all the ladies.

Edit: I just remembered, your hair was fierce. So now i'm sure you get all the ladies. Nobody can tame that.
Sheridan is the most hardcore metal-rocker I know.
sheridan i hate you so much right now i want to rip your face off with my DAZE EFFEKT

edit: if snap was on the list, he would be 11th imo, hes too good so all in all dc would be like 13th cause isai is counted as 0 so everyone really moves down a spot, so yeah. GEE GEE HUGO. GEE GEE
LOL Good stuffs.

Although I think you beasted me with Yoshi and Marf many times.

Lunin knows how to RAWK.

Boback. DAZE EFFEKT LOL. Snap 11th? I dunno. Snap is too good, but...is Snap too good enough? That is what we must ask.

Zoap

Smash Master
yes he is, just go to the ncb thread, those responses alone make him too good

EDIT: I spelled response wrong so i had to edit :(

Delphiki

Smash Champion
What made everyone decide to drop the point system? I liked it better than getting a consensus. Will it ever be returning? I doubt that the panelists agreed 100% on where to place everyone. Surely some concessions had to be made.

I like that the inactives were dropped, and Isai's spot at 0. I thought of that before but I didn't think you guys would actually do it :laugh:. I'm going to miss all the controversy now with the new system and 20 instead of 25.

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
I think Nemesis would **** you all

...lol, today is crazy fun!

Nemesis came and ***** me, Delphiki, TC1, Civil 9 and DRGN....well not ****...but beat us...lol!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Details for Narfanator

Match results
Winners' bracket
Lost to Zodiak Lucien

Losers' bracket
Defeated DYRL
Defeated Bootle of Water
Defeated Dread
Lost to Falcomist

Overall placing: 9/32
............????

okay, dread beat zhu and bootle beat scamp... but is that still an okay decision to make?

i've kinda changed what i think about the list. the top ten = SPOT ON. it's perfect. but the rest is still, imo, still heavily heavily biased toward NCBs. h*ll, a single tournament where a few people managed to do well. but it seems consistency has been thrown out the window here. darkmike is off after doing well at so many tournaments and clearly being a superior samus to narfanator (don't worry i still love narf) and azn danny is on because he beat btzo once?

my complaints are probably weak, but i just want to emphasize that the NCPR is still heavily, heavily biased against the central valley simply because we don't have a representative on the panel. you guys might've had problems before with simna and ender, but its not like us or fta has quit after all these months. if you find us unworthy, then i'd understand.

i know it must be difficult to judge. we can never get rides to outside of the valley. outsiders come to us on the fly, and me/fta tend to do VERY WELL against them. but you guys consider that a case of me trying to pimp out a record. there's sort of a wall that limits how far we can judge each other. valley and non valley. it's almost as if we should separate the rankings...

how much easier would that be? i could see it now.
1/2: meep/simna
3/4: dm/kfc
5: kev$
6/7: choknater/NK
7+: HMW, nova people, tc1, etc.

but that's irrational, isn't it. supposedly, we're still a part of norcal.

i hope this isn't disregarded as frustration... i hope to calm down for an attempt at a more intelligent argument.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
how did dark mike get knocked off the list instead of me? hes been performing better than me at recent tournaments.. so yeah. he baet me in winners bracket/losers finals today at modesto too..

and narf replaced him ? lmfao. LOL.

seriously, you guys are *******es. f`ck smashboards, f`ck you guys, and f`ck the list. and i already asked to be taken off this list of opinions so take me off already please ?

GJ on Bobby and tang

EDIT:: GJ Vincent =]

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
this is what i love about norcal... the power rankings list reflects peoples ACTUAL SKILL LEVEL. gg and good job on the list
Aww someone is madsies about his socal ranking. :)
J/K

But yeah, we do use our better judgement to determine rankings, not just tourney placings, so you can't accuse us of not ranking people based on skill.

IMO the socal panel has one of the most accurate ways of constructing the list in the nation.

And I don't really know the skill of narfanator, but I don't see the logic in getting rid of darkmike.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Didn't narfanator beat Hella at a SacBW? I know he beat Jeff's Roy.
sac biweeklies only count towards someone's rank when they are chosen to be. if narf is liked by the panel then that match probably counts.

Im tempted to go into the socal rankings to see how their rankings are done. these new norcal rankings are quite controversial.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i had a quickie conversation with zhu

to dread: xD yeah zhu just cleared that up for me, my bad.

yeah, it's just a little discrepancy with judgment. i do find the list to be mostly accurate and zhu helped clear up some things over aim.

he told me that azn_danny is considered to be nearly on par with most of the baysians. so putting him up on the rank, especially after beating BTZO, seems to me an educated decision FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF PANELISTS. scratch what i said about danny. i like his falcon anyways.

so yeah. talking with zhu (who, for the record, i've been on good terms with since we both started playing ice climbers) helped me to clear up most of my opinions before anyone else could.

SO YEAH SCRATCH MOST OF WHAT I SAID:
it all comes down to two issues:
- will there be a panelist repping the valley anytime soon?
- who is the better samus: darkmike or narfanator?
i see an epic money match coming on. for the 20th spot. (except kfc admits DM>KFC lol, and i say so too :p)

i've been tamed. but i still hope most of you acknowledge what i said about the valley.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Keep in mind this is a new system we're trying out. I kind of like it more than the old system, because heavily biased placings tend to be filtered out. Also, I'd like to point out that no system we use will be perfect. I think people should be considered plus or minus two or three spots from where they are. Thus Azn Danny is really somewhere between 13 and 19. Maybe that's too much leeway but I think my point is there.

Anyway, there are drastic differences in philosophy in making the list. For example some panelists prefer strict results while others like to go more on observations of true skill level. Some panelists value history more than others do. There are several more examples. I think we all disagreed on at least one spot but overall we could all at least be satisfied that the list was pretty good.

The 19-20 spots were probably the hardest to fill. We had several candidates to pick from, and several arguments to sort out. Bottom line is we did the best with what we had. We know that FTA doesn't get many chances to play the rest of Norcal and vice versa. However, if DM or any other candidate is truly better than Narf, then it won't take much to get him back to where he truly should be.

What would be really nice is if more constant events (with lots of people travelling) happened more often, so that we could feel the need to update this thing more frequently.

And Blitz sucks. Yeah, I said it. What? You have a problem with that? Come up to Norcal and shut me up! Yeah.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
There is an unavoidable region bias in the rankings. No one can be blamed for it because its unavoidable. Its pretty much fact that the biggest concentration of good players in norcal are in the bay area...because of that the players who live in and closest to the bay area get more recognition by a great deal and players outside the area get les coverage and their records of wins/losses stagnate faster. If you look at the current list...there are...3? 3 out of 20 players on it are from outside the bay area. This also brings up an issue with tournaments and their value to the rankings. Say there is a tournament in sac...now seeing as most of the good players are in the bay area that tournament pretty much means nothing unless ppl from that area show up. Now at the same time lets have a tournament "random bay area city number A." At that bay area tournament you can have no smashers show up from outside the bay and the tournament will be completely worth its matches for the rankings.

These rankings are an uphill battle for anyone outside the bay area area, but really no one can be blamed for it...as far as I can tell its just an unavoidable fact of life...and it saddens me.

The GERM

Smash Ace
*claps* an ok list.

Just some of my opinions, for what it's worth:

. I agree with the top 10 for the most part. I'm on the fence about the Isai at 0 thing, I don't see why we couldn't just take Narf out and have a solid 20. But then again, Isai's spot is pretty much set in stone which is a good way to demonstrate.

. Due to King's inactivity lately, I agree with the move of him and Jeff swapping spots. Jeff is the most consistant player Norcal has and deserves his spot at 2nd until King comes back at full force and proves otherwise, or anyone else for that matter.

. I'm extremely happy Sir Bob Dollars got the recognition he deserves as one of Norcal's most valuable asets with the moving of him from 8th, to 3rd.

. I'm happy with my spot at 5th for now, I just have to step up my game and train my Falco harder this time around.

. I think Lunin and Tang are right where they should be. Lunin hasn't been playing his best lately, but he hasn't shown any major patterns of inconsistancy enough to drop him lower, and Mitchell won the last bi-weekly but hasn't had enough time to prove himself consistant enough to be placed higher.

. Falcomist and Zelgadis is where it gets tricky. Both sides of this can be argued for who gets what spot, 7th and 8th. It's hard for me to decide because I play both of them quite often and know both of their capabilities and full potential. Both usually place near eachother, both have beaten eachother in tournament, and both have lately beaten a lot of the same players (me being one). If I had to choose, I would go with Falcomist as well. I'm not saying he's better than Zelgadis or vise versa but Justin is a lot more active, going to a lot more Norcal tournmants than just SJ ones so it's easier to judge by his consistancy. He's also Norcal's best up-and-comer and most improved player, you can tell he's hungry and takes this game very seriously and hates losing. As far as potential goes though, I'm sure if Trebor played to his full gay Fox potential like he does in some friendlies when he's really serious and plays like that in tournament, I'm sure he'd be top 4 easy. He also has a lot more experience and has adapted to different styles and playing well against new opponents over the years. I knew the ranking were going to come out after this last tournament, I gave him a lot of sh** for not entering singles, but that's his own problem. Time to step it up Trebor. I don't know, flip your coin.

. Thank the lord Jesus, I told you guys that Hella Nick deserved to be higher than 12th. I'm more happy about Nick being 9th than Bob$ being 3rd. He's been busting his a** training his Peach and he's only going to get better. I do have some news though, Hella Nick is no longer playing Peach, oh yes my friends, he has switched his main from Peach..........to Daisy, the best Daisy(only Daisy) in the world.

. I think DC is perfect where he is. He did very well at this last bi-weekly, he just needs some time to adapt to Norcal's fast and agressive fast fallers and he'll do just fine. I'm sure his Socal history helped a lot as well.

. That whole thing I spluged about Falcomist and Trebor can also be said for BTZO and Sheridan, I personally haven't played either enough times to judge who is "better" or has more potential. Both have their good match-ups and bad ones.

. From 13th and on is where this list gets really twisted and fu**ed up and I have a lot to say about it so I'm going to go to bed and post sometime tomorrow.

PS. I've thought about it and I was wondering If there's any spots open for a new panelist. I've played virtually everyone in Norcal and I'm a scary judge of talent.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
You haven't played played.... and.... wait.... OH! don't froget.....****.

I think there are 2 norcals. Lower Norcal and Upper Norcal. Which is why Upper Norcal should be able to make its own rankings.

Simna Ibn Sinner is right, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

<333333 Hella Daisy.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
DarkMike:

Beat NK and Geo
Lost to KFC, Choknater, Meep and KFC

Narfanator:

Beat Bootle, DRGN, TomiX, DRGN, NK, Hella(Ganon) and SS(Roy)
Lost to Lucien, Falcomist, NK, Zoap, Tang and Falcomist

Just for the info.
these are some of the people mike has beaten in a tourney set .. off the top of my head.

all of nova complex, all of FTA, all of modesto crew, btzo, zoap, and whoever else..

narf performed well at uhm.. two tournaments i think?

mike 2-0'd me the same day i 2-0'd narfinator at a sac biweekly.

but anyways, im not forcing my opinion on you guys or whatever.. i just really think that mike should be on the list..

ive been performing badly at recent tournaments so howcome my rank wasnt moved down/ removed from the list?

Top Bottom