• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
I agree with what ender has said, I mean this way both so cal and north cal can smash, and stop complaining about distance and so....this way everything would even out, and there are tons of people who love to say, "i came so close to beating him" I mean I might as well add myself into it, because one never knows when their playing to their best, its kinda stupid to even take small tournys such as the biweeklies here in sac seriously, I mean I honestly don't take it seriously most of us go there just to have fun, and most of the people I see smash, at the tourny just smash! yes they have a tourny match but down here in sac its always a match that comes out to be obvious I mean the only matches that really count arel ike the final or semifinal....al others just happen...and if its two really good people that begin in the first match its crazy....lol...bell rang I have to go...

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
I agree btzo, I think a win over anyone is a win no matter what character they use, its unfair to discredit people just because the other person chose to play a crap character. xdarklinkx, say you beat all 25 ranked players but they all used crap characters on you... thats 25 chances to prove yourself down the drain... because well, those tournament matches just didn't count. I think the tournament brackets should have an unbiased view... no bad characters, no flukes, just wins and losses with 2 people. you can have fun anytime... even at the tourney in friendlies... basically, don't screw up your tournament matches.

Personally, I think the whole NorCal community has been inactive with each other. Let's all be more active with each other! No homo.
ANYONE AT ALL IN SAN JOSE / MILPITAS or anyone near there free today TO PLAY AT ALL?... ANYONE?

anyone... anyone at all

Or tetris... I want a rematch Hyuga. I've just started using double t-spins

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I agree btzo, I think a win over anyone is a win no matter what character they use, its unfair to discredit people just because the other person chose to play a crap character. xdarklinkx, say you beat all 25 ranked players but they all used crap characters on you... thats 25 chances to prove yourself down the drain... because well, those tournament matches just didn't count. I think the tournament brackets should have an unbiased view... no bad characters, no flukes, just wins and losses with 2 people. you can have fun anytime... even at the tourney in friendlies... basically, don't screw up your tournament matches.
I smell nubs.

EDIT: ZOMG I BEAT SHADOWBTZO IN A FRIENDLY WHILST SANDBAGGING. WHAT A NUB. - end nubby nubs

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're going to completely ignore the specifics of a match (characters used, seriousness of the players, etc) and do rankings based solely on wins and losses then you might as well not have a panel at all. Just use an ELO ranking system and be done with it.

But the fact that you do have a panel that discusses placings tells me you don't look only at wins/losses. So stop pretending like rankings are a completely objective process and accept that factors outside the results affect where people end up.

Example: look at this bracket. I beat David C in this event, someone whose skill is so far beyond mine it isn't funny. Does that mean I should be on the rankings, or be considered because of that win? Should David's status be dropped because of his loss?

Of course not. That was a low tier event. My Young Link beat his Bowser. Whoop dee ****.

So you obviously have to look at context. Because the point is to create a list based on people's skill, right? Tournament matches our the best way to objectively rate skill but they are by no means the only criteria you should be using.

That's just my opinion, though, and generally how we run things on the SoCal rankings.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
If you're going to completely ignore the specifics of a match (characters used, seriousness of the players, etc) and do rankings based solely on wins and losses then you might as well not have a panel at all. Just use an ELO ranking system and be done with it.

But the fact that you do have a panel that discusses placings tells me you don't look only at wins/losses. So stop pretending like rankings are a completely objective process and accept that factors outside the results affect where people end up.

Example: look at this bracket. I beat David C in this event, someone whose skill is so far beyond mine it isn't funny. Does that mean I should be on the rankings, or be considered because of that win? Should David's status be dropped because of his loss?

Of course not. That was a low tier event. My Young Link beat his Bowser. Whoop dee ****.

So you obviously have to look at context. Because the point is to create a list based on people's skill, right? Tournament matches our the best way to objectively rate skill but they are by no means the only criteria you should be using.

That's just my opinion, though, and generally how we run things on the SoCal rankings.
ZOMG IT'S SO TRUE!!! MOTHER FUGGIN PWN!!

froz3ntear

Smash Ace

Should low tier tournaments count for ranking? It's putting a restriction on the standard rules. I think the rankings assume no items, 2 of 3 matches, with the opportunity to counter pick stages and character.

Seriousness of a player seems like such an abusive factor. Just my 2 cents.

edit: on another note. do you have TETRIS nealdt?
double edit: Still need someone to play today, anyone near san jose. anyone at all.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, they should, but you have to use context. Another example: I beat UltraLuigi at ThomaSexy's Low Tier Tournament earlier this year. Ultra played Luigi, his main, and I beat him with Young Link. Should that win not count because it was a low tier tourney?

Just don't throw out context is all I'm sayin.

And no, I don't have tetris, assuming you mean on DS.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Yeah I meant on the DS UNLESSS . . . . . ..!!!! you play tetrinet? lol

I see how context is important like you said, thats why we have the panalists, but what about your opinion in the scenario i mentioned... about how in tournament matches, if a player picks a random character and loses, its his fault (like btzo mentioned)

because it just seems unfair to take an opportunity away from someone trying to prove himself by playing a random character especially since its so rare to actually meet each other in brackets. Its amazing how people can attend the same biweeklies for months and still never see each other in the bracket.

edit: which i dont even see the scenerio as a problem really... I haven't seen a respected player make any excuses bout picking a random character or such yet atleast.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I could make a long, boring post about what I feel about this....but **** it. I'm gonna go Smash guys. Have fun.

Btw what ender said about Sac (the I almost beat [insert player here]) is hella hella hella hella true. I try not to do it so much but I know I have on occasion.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales

Owned, my fellow C# programmer did; I agree.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
there should one or two consistent tournies that count toward the power rankings
SJSU were the tournies where it was at. people like to post how well they did vs who and what and detailed stuff, imo its lame as heck. but the power ranking arnt about who is better than who its about numbers and figures on paper so for the people that have gripes like me lets see the equation and factors which makes this power ranking. lets not forget how many points people gain by beating a sandbagging isai or a SS roy its about numbers right? explain the point system more please.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i don't think they mathematically calculate everything like that for the point system. i think the panelists just give each person a number of points according to his opinion as unbiased as possible, and they average em out. the only extensive nitpicking they do about matches is for good reason.. they have to know as much as they can about each potentially worthy player. i guess.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Basically each panelist creates a list from 1-25. Then points are assigned by rank in each list.
For example:
My top 5 list is lets say (just took the real top 5):
Isai
King
SS
Lunin
Germ

Isai gets 25 points, King 24, SS 23, Lunin 22, etc etc.
Points are then totaled and then players are ranked based on points.

So Isai got 150 points, divided by 6 panelists, comes out to 25 points per panelist. This means that everyone voted him number one (as they obviously should)

Bob Money

Smash Ace
there are planty of great smashers that dont give details about thier matches for example mikkuz, bernard, Mitchell hella and i cna name a whole bunch who are better than some who u have stressed their own numbers , players like mikkuz and bernard dont have enough representation through posts and therefore are not therefore thought of , why dont they post?i dunno but its like SS attitude lets his playing do the talking for him.
no Disrespect just my thoughts. yeah and i know i talk alot.
the power ranking are not whose better than who. IMO i think Isai and other top players know skill level judging if this power ranking is gunna be about who better than who.

tyderiumDS

Smash Journeyman
Neat. Hey I've got sunday and monday off and nothing to do. And I seem to be compelled to get outta sac and play some new smashers with as much of nova that can come with me. I know theres a lot of you out there that I haven't been able to smash with. Any takers?

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Umm how close a match is should not be taken into consideration at all. I was talking about how if someone loses a set to someone they are better than, then that is their fault. I've seen plenty of people, such as say Lunin, sandbag the whole match and only 1 stock someone, big deal. But if someone beats Lunin in a set or the set is at say 3-2, then that is looked at. I was not saying u beat someone u are higher, u lose to them ur lower, it's not that simple, or else like neal said there wouldn't be any use for panelists. What I was saying was that if someone beats say Lunin even if he is using like DK (in a tourny) then they get recognition, but that does not automatically mean they are 4th in his spot or something. Yeah I personally never post how close a match is either, that's kinda dumb IMO

Also LOL yeah I think I remember NK beating me in a friendly once there XD

EDIT: BTW low tier's dumb, there's a reason why it isn't counted, whotf actually tries in that sht xP

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
lol this is one problem i have. i sandbag alot in friendlies now and people always think shiet like ... [ wow close match im getting alot better ] or whatever.. yenno. smash sucks when taken too seriously. i <3 smash so much more now that i dont take every single match i ever played so seriously. and i love playing against NK our matches are too fun. . sandbag galore.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
DRGN tries in Low Tier....look at DG IV....0_o

I try....with Pichu ^_^

Tyde I want to go too, but I only have Sunday off. There's always the possibility of leaving after the biweekly, staying at someone's house....then coming back Sunday night, which would give us plenty of time. Any takers? ^_^

JR - SS is so good at sandbagging he only one stocked me in a friendly...he's soooooo good at it. SS #2 for Sandbag Power Rankings.

On a serious note....we know that people don't play their best against smashers who aren't as good as them....people sandbag and it has to be considered. So talking about how close a match was does is completely ******** unless you know the person you were playing so incredibly well that you know when he is at 100%....in that incredibly rare case you wouldn't have to say a thing because to the people who know, the facts are obvious. All in all - let your actions speak for themselves. If you deserve to be on the rankings keep proving it and you will make it.

Hey Bob I have a question....didn't you say before "if this list is based on ABILITY, take me off" ? But now you're saying that playing worse characters and shouldn't affect the player..you're saying it should be based on skill. Bob which matters more - results or ability?

sidefx

Smash Champion
how about we make the list just top ****ing 10. all the drama would be over.. and well it would be A LOT easier to make a top 10 list.

just to piss alot of people off here is my list.

isai
king
ss
bob
germ
lunin
zel
falcomist
hella
tang

booyakasha

and end it THERE. 11-200583726 is pointless imo. the lines are way too blurred, to go so deep into rankings.. and the pointless bickering about whos better than who.

maybe top 15.. cause i can see a top 15 .. but still

and to btzo.. im sorry but youre stupid.. why would you count a match with say.. bobby using pikachu.. say losing to lunin ( which did happen btw ) into consideration? we all know bobby is better than lunin ( i dont care if you disagree with me or what ) but its not his main.. nor should it be represented as his main.. just because he decides to use pikachu for a tourny match doesnt mean that if he loses it should count against him. next time you counterpick samus against me, and if/when i beat you dont ***** about it not being your main.. and that it didnt count.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree w/ sidefx on top 15.. makes it much easier because everyone below that is WAY TOO VAGUE. too close in skill lvl, top 15 are pwnage though. washington has the right idea.

edit: btw don't give in to zhu's lies ROFL!!

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Jeez Laweez, everyone who's arguing about the list take a step back. Seriously.

Top 10 would not work. The reason why is because that **** would barely change.

The list is not perfect. The list is never accurate. The list is also slow. The list also means different things for different people. Arguing about it is not silly. Arguing about it because it is not perfect is silly, however.

Washington has a top 15 because they don't have 25 players total. (Just kidding but you knew that, Otto.)

The way I see it, the list is a recognition of competition. We don't have the luxury of constant and consistant results. So we need to make do with whatever we have. One tournament seems to mean a lot, but in a perfect system it shouldn't. You could have a bad day, weird circumstances, whatever. But like people say, just do what you can and you'll be on the list if you deserve it. But ****, don't yell at the list just because some things aren't perfect.

I'm not happy at all that I'm not on the list. I can name a number of people on the list that I personally think I'm better than. And I think that if I asked the panelists (and other random people, too) that they'd agree. However, my tourney record in the last few months is absolute ****. I could list reasons and excuses (YOU try driving 6 hours to LA then spend the night drinking then play well the next day. Also note that the only person on the list I've gotten to play is SS. Can't move up by only playing people below you.) but the point is that the bottom line is I need to play better. Just because the list system isn't perfect doesn't change that.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
friday 30th. san jose. anyone? bored... only smashers around here are
mike666, kurtis, yen, afrojustin, zhu and art? there has to be people im missing.

cavesonic13

Smash Lord
I could make a long, boring post about what I feel about this....but **** it. I'm gonna go Smash guys. Have fun.

Btw what ender said about Sac (the I almost beat [insert player here]) is hella hella hella hella true. I try not to do it so much but I know I have on occasion.
ofcourse delph would have said that......LOL!

I am just goign to maple...*creates new character...play for an hour*....YAY LVL 13!!!

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
and to btzo.. im sorry but youre stupid.. why would you count a match with say.. bobby using pikachu.. say losing to lunin ( which did happen btw ) into consideration? we all know bobby is better than lunin ( i dont care if you disagree with me or what ) but its not his main.. nor should it be represented as his main.. just because he decides to use pikachu for a tourny match doesnt mean that if he loses it should count against him. next time you counterpick samus against me, and if/when i beat you dont ***** about it not being your main.. and that it didnt count.
Opinions can't be stupid btw. And what you are arguing is biased, we as panelists cannot assume that if Bobby used his main then he would beat Lunin or not....I'm not saying "OMG Lunin's way better" or vice-versa, we just have to go based on the facts not by our opinion of who is better. There are plenty of people that are on the list that I feel should be higher/lower, but they are where they are cuz of what they have done. Also I don't remember ever *****ing about losing, and I don't plan on *****ing about a loss in the future. If you think you can beat me then cool, I don't really care, but if we play and I don't pick Sheik and lose, trust me I won't complain that I wasn't using my main. So basically it's what the person proves in a tourny which is important, cuz we cannot go based on our opinion on a person even if we know that person is better.

Yeah I kind of reiterated what Scamp said, but with my own imput kthx:p

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
I don't think anyone counted my win over bob's pikachu very seriously--and btw, it was his marth.

Not only that boback, and not to offend bobby cus he's hecka good and probably Might be better than me, but what gives you the strong opinion that he Is better than me? Is it because he placed higher in a socal tourny?

How does Everyone know bob is better than me? What did he do that I couldn't--did you ever think about what I did that He couldn't?

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone counted my win over bob's pikachu very seriously--and btw, it was his marth.

Not only that boback, and not to offend bobby cus he's hecka good and probably Might be better than me, but what gives you the strong opinion that he Is better than me? Is it because he placed higher in a socal tourny?

How does Everyone know bob is better than me? What did he do that I couldn't--did you ever think about what I did that He couldn't?

That is true and the fact that Bobby uses a lot of char against ppl in tourney like one sac biweekly where he beat me with Marth or beat Nick with Falcon. We cant determine who really is better but only have opinions. So Iono who is better but we can just say ppl have there own opinions of the players.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Neat. Hey I've got sunday and monday off and nothing to do. And I seem to be compelled to get outta sac and play some new smashers with as much of nova that can come with me. I know theres a lot of you out there that I haven't been able to smash with. Any takers?
I'm down you sexy man beast.

EDIIIIIIT:

Let's say someone top tier on the rankings stops playing seriously for a while like say 2 months. Automatic drop I say. Because there has to be some proof of evidence that they're still as good as they once were. If they fail to prove so.....THHHRRRPPPPT drop down on the list.

And yeah the power rankings are dumb but that's what gives us our entertainment.

sidefx

Smash Champion

no i remember it was a sjsu biweekly and it was on the tv next to the chalkboard closest to the microwave, he was using pikachu. and the fact that youve never beat bobby in a set backs up what i said about bobby being better. bobby is a beast. end of story. and im not sure what youve done that he hasnt, but im pretty sure bobby has done alot of things that you havent. im not trying to start an argument lunin <3 you , just backing up what i menchioned before. and no i wasnt basing it on that socal tourny... that would be ignorant of me.

edit: and this isnt about bobby using pikachu as a whole.. that was just one example.. he uses nothing but doc, fox, marth, and maybe falcon.. but pikachu is him not giving a ****.
edit: stupid sig was showing..

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
edit: and this isnt about bobby using pikachu as a whole.. that was just one example.. he uses nothing but doc, fox, marth, and maybe falcon.. but pikachu is him not giving a ****.
edit: stupid sig was showing..
Don't forget Gannon and Falco.

Top Bottom