• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
^_^ hm from reading these posts, the panelists are pretty smart guys. + nealdt gawd he is the <3.

edit: o.o bob's ganon.. is... aite, lol. i wouldn't say it's as good as his other mains xD.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Boback....you have to remember beat triangles. "Person A beats Person B consistently" does not mean that Person A is better than Person B.

Oh yeah....there is no way this list should be top anything other than 25. Why? No fun. This list inspires competition, gives us something to do (like right now) and helps lots of people know who is improving in NorCal.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
no i remember it was a sjsu biweekly and it was on the tv next to the chalkboard closest to the microwave, he was using pikachu. and the fact that youve never beat bobby in a set backs up what i said about bobby being better. bobby is a beast. end of story. and im not sure what youve done that he hasnt, but im pretty sure bobby has done alot of things that you havent. im not trying to start an argument lunin <3 you , just backing up what i menchioned before. and no i wasnt basing it on that socal tourny... that would be ignorant of me.

edit: and this isnt about bobby using pikachu as a whole.. that was just one example.. he uses nothing but doc, fox, marth, and maybe falcon.. but pikachu is him not giving a ****.
edit: stupid sig was showing..
lol oh okay <3

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
OK, first about people not using their "mains." Basically, and someone else stated this beforehand, you've essentially taken away someone's opportunity to beat you playing seriously, which I don't think is fair to let go as a "match that didn't happen" considering rankings. If you win, it's no big deal, since that means you'll beat them with your main anyway. If you lose with your alternate character, then you lost. The other guy does not get credit for beating your main, but it does mean he is at least as good as your secondaries, but how MUCH better we don't know, since you never gave him a chance with your main. Now, everyone on the panel has a different weight attached to this. That's why it's a panel, and not one guy cranking out a formula. We represent an amalgamation of the spectrum of opinions of the community.

I refuse to let people coast on their historical victories of 6 months ago, including Mr. Bob Dollars. If you don't prove your ****e, then other people who DO will move up. Again THIS DOES NOT MEAN BEING INACTIVE (or using non-main characters) MAKES YOU MOVE DOWN. It means that you gave up opportunities to prove yourself compared to people who are improving fast compared to the pace of the overall community. If by some strange chance everyone below you noobs out while you use Roy or Zelda or whatever, chances are you won't go down. But if a whole bunch of Falcomists and Foxroars show up really quick, you're going down a couple spots. I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding this concept. If you say something like "we all know X should have happened or that Y is better," either provide recent evidence, or prove it, else i'm not going to hear any of it. Some people who I thought needed to man up did so at UCLA, and it did not go unnoticed.

And Bob, as for people trying to pimp their own records on the boards, that's why we have panelists whose job it is to be knowledgeable enough to see through the BS.

Zel:

GANNON-BANNED

I'll post more later if you're all still arguing about things that have already been explained by the time I get back to school next week.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I have no real "main". So like, I can pretty much use the "well I wasn't using my main" excuse anytime.

That kicks ***.

Lunin 4 stocked my Peach but Peach isn't my main so it shouldn't really count.

I've pretty much never lost when using my main.

Cause I don't have one.

SmashT

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I refuse to let people coast on their historical victories of 6 months ago, including Mr. Bob Dollars. If you don't prove your ****e, then other people who DO will move up. Again THIS DOES NOT MEAN BEING INACTIVE (or using non-main characters) MAKES YOU MOVE DOWN. It means that you gave up opportunities to prove yourself compared to people who are improving fast compared to the pace of the overall community. If by some strange chance everyone below you noobs out while you use Roy or Zelda or whatever, chances are you won't go down. But if a whole bunch of Falcomists and Foxroars show up really quick, you're going down a couple spots. I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding this concept. If you say something like "we all know X should have happened or that Y is better," either provide recent evidence, or prove it, else i'm not going to hear any of it. Some people who I thought needed to man up did so at UCLA, and it did not go unnoticed.
I basically said that in fewer words but got ignored... wtf. Bishes.

tyderiumDS

Smash Journeyman
I'm hurt. NK, Delphiki and myself want to smash on sunday. Are you saying no one wants to do anything?
Sad face.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
OK, first about people not using their "mains." Basically, and someone else stated this beforehand, you've essentially taken away someone's opportunity to beat you playing seriously, which I don't think is fair to let go as a "match that didn't happen" considering rankings. If you win, it's no big deal, since that means you'll beat them with your main anyway. If you lose with your alternate character, then you lost. The other guy does not get credit for beating your main, but it does mean he is at least as good as your secondaries, but how MUCH better we don't know, since you never gave him a chance with your main. Now, everyone on the panel has a different weight attached to this. That's why it's a panel, and not one guy cranking out a formula. We represent an amalgamation of the spectrum of opinions of the community.

Umm yeah this was the point I was trying to get across...I think I kinda did XD...Hyuga's just like way better than me at explaining this I suppose haha.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
OMFG Pikachu everywhere, new layout and curser is hella fcking good btw

EDIT: OMFG the music is there too and it changes every different page gg swf XD

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
OMFG Pikachu everywhere, new layout and curser is hella fcking good btw

EDIT: OMFG the music is there too and it changes every different page gg swf XD
yeah. not bad at all. might like it with pikachu and a black backround... white clashes with smashboards.

music sure is catchy.

The GERM

Smash Ace
The only thing bothering me is that some of the panelists are acting like people are abusing this scapegoat of people not using their mains. The only time now that people don't use their mains and use their "Joke" characters is all the bi-weekly's besides the SJ ones because quite frankly, those were/are the only one's that seemed to matter because everyone in Norcal went to those. At one of the Sac biweekly's I got 1st using only C. Falcon and King got 3rd using only Fox, we didn't use our mains because There isn't enough competition or interest for the Sac biweekly's to be taken seriously, no offense to Sac biweekly's, so far they've been really cool but I just wanted to have fun. But King and Bob didn't use their mains for one SJ biweekly and all of a sudden people are making it seem like they've been doing it since 1983 and they're robbing all of Norcal from proving themselves, IT WAS ONE FU**ING TIME!!

I also agree with top 15, Norcal is too seperated to rank a clear 25 people. I'm just sick of people saying things like, "I got Jeff's roy down to last stock" or "I beat Lunin one match in a friendly" in hopes that you'll tell everyone and they'll be considered for top 25. For a lot of people, they think they can just get into top 25 by ranting about their triumphs and near victories and getting people to last stock in friendlies. A top 15 will definately seperate the men from the boys and spark a more competetive slant to Norcal, thus improving Norcal as a whole. This way you'll know if someone's in the top 15 that they earned their spot there and are not there by default.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
The only thing bothering me is that some of the panelists are acting like people are abusing this scapegoat of people not using their mains. The only time now that people don't use their mains and use their "Joke" characters is all the bi-weekly's besides the SJ ones because quite frankly, those were/are the only one's that seemed to matter because everyone in Norcal went to those. At one of the Sac biweekly's I got 1st using only C. Falcon and King got 3rd using only Fox, we didn't use our mains because There isn't enough competition or interest for the Sac biweekly's to be taken seriously, no offense to Sac biweekly's, so far they've been really cool but I just wanted to have fun. But King and Bob didn't use their mains for one SJ biweekly and all of a sudden people are making it seem like they've been doing it since 1983 and they're robbing all of Norcal from proving themselves, IT WAS ONE FU**ING TIME!!

I also agree with top 15, Norcal is too seperated to rank a clear 25 people. I'm just sick of people saying things like, "I got Jeff's roy down to last stock" or "I beat Lunin one match in a friendly" in hopes that you'll tell everyone and they'll be considered for top 25. For a lot of people, they think they can just get into top 25 by ranting about their triumphs and near victories and getting people to last stock in friendlies. A top 15 will definately seperate the men from the boys and spark a more competetive slant to Norcal, thus improving Norcal as a whole. This way you'll know if someone's in the top 15 that they earned their spot there and are not there by default.
I'm just speaking for myself I don't know about other panelists, but I was just saying that if someone uses a "joke" character, then the loss is a loss (for a more in depth explanation see hyuga's post). I wasn't saying Bob$ or King or whoever plays "joke" chars all the time or anything >_>. People might have been referring to Bob$ though cuz he went to several tournaments playing Pika or w/e....but that's the most I've seen someone do that. If any of us exaggerated it or something, I think it was just so we could get the point across ;D

For top 15 I feel that most people are saying (in general no one in particular) that we are basically just having to fill the 16-25 spots and I don't think that's true. There's some controversy over spots there, I mean there's alot of good people from 16-25. Also having 25 spots gives alot of people hope that they have a chance to make it on the list. If people see that they have to beat someone Frotaz level or higher, they might give up their hopes of making it on.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
so then it becomes a battle of
25 = limited accuracy, but gives hope to us unranked lot who have a shot at 20+, but also encouraging unranked to try to "pimp out their records"
vs
15 = high accuracy, but supposedly less motivation for the unranked

both have their ups and downs... looking at our current lists, i think settling at 20 would be fair, since it's less vague but still not hopeless. but that's just me. in the end it's up to a collaboration of the panelists' thoughts.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
plus if its 20 it'll take about 1/5 less time to release the list. no wait it'd probably take away even more than 1/5 the time because those last 5 ppl are so hard to decide on =) anyways i don't think current results should be taken too seriously. another list should be made only after NCB's are back (not trying to be biased against sac but these just have more ppl / better people) or if we have another NCT ^^. what happened to that NCT Blue verions (omg pokemon reference >_>)

Top Bottom