• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Hey guys! I'm currently looking into hosting bi-weekly tournaments at the Sunnyvale Art Institute. I won't have confirmation if I can get hold of a room until mid-October, but the odds are high.

I'll be holding Brawl tournaments, but if someone can help out with the extra work and TVs/cubes needed to make it happen, we can add in Melee. The tournaments would have to be run at the same time since there won't be enough time to have two back-to-back. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get confirmation on the room, but I figured I'd give a heads-up first. :3
I am going to be moving to Sunnyvale Mid-October.

This is awesome. I can pretty much garuntee you another TV and a Wii time you host.

Cant wait, this is such good news.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I forgot, I freakin' love Lucien.

I dislike t!mmy. Not as a person, but as a player. He's hella overrated. Demised is a **** good kirby, though. Timotee is also pretty decent, but that's just me talking up mah own state.

Any plans for OoS tournaments and whatnot? I'm looking to start traveling soon for the game. I have all this extra money from when I was planning on traveling for Brawl, and I'm looking to meet as many people as possible.
Nah, school is an *** kicker.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
we just had 2 in norcal with like over 200 people or something last month but itll probably be a while before the next one since school is up again.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
For Guilty Gear, or Brawl?

I'd consider going to NorCal for a Brawl tournament, if you guys had some good GG players come on the side or something.

Btw, anyone know what the deal was with Axis? I heard a LOT of people got DQ'ed for all the wrong reasons. 5 people I know were either not called, called by the wrong name, or were moved into loser's because the guy they beat claimed that they had lost, and the director's hadn't thought to have loser report instead.

pockyD

Smash Legend
why would you have the loser report?

honestly, face it - in a 300man tournament, the hosts have no choice but to DQ people - they barely got through a simple double elim bracket as it was

Naota21t

Smash Champion
we just had 2 in norcal with like over 200 people or something last month but itll probably be a while before the next one since school is up again.
Theres a big tournament on Dec 21-22. It's a 2 day event including doubles and singles for both Brawl and Melee.

Good ****.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Arrows up ^ Ignore King Gerudo stupid post.

Anyone watch Bleach the 2nd movie?

Yes I just made another stupid post =D.
:dizzy: i dont do stupid posts, just ones that are occasionally off the subject or lead the thread in a different direction.. we gotta do more teams matches with me,you,my cousin, and bob$. those were ****.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
is that the one with items on and stuff?

Also the whole mess with people getting DQ'd is ridiculous. If the winners actually reported their matches the problem would never happen. Anyone who got DQ'd can't really say anything since they obviously did not report their win.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Also the whole mess with people getting DQ'd is ridiculous. If the winners actually reported their matches the problem would never happen. Anyone who got DQ'd can't really say anything since they obviously did not report their win.
lol i remember hella people complaining about how they got DQ'd for not being there or not reporting their matches. Indeed, any john about being DQ'd is unexceptable. On a side note, what besides the obvious stuff goes good with peanut butter?

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I used to put peanut butter in cereal sometimes. Mix it in well and it tastes pretty good.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You have losers report because no one is going to lie about them losing. If someone says they lost, they either lost, or are pretending they're someone they're not. If the latter holds true, then when player A claims that he actually won, you bring in player B, find out that they're not who they claimed they were, and it is solved without having to repeat a set, or DQing unfairly.

Of the 5, only 2 of them were DQed because the announcer horribly butchered their names, to the point of being beyond recognition, but this is just people I know. I can't imagine that they were an isolated instance.

Cheese, who do you play as in GG?

The___cheese

Smash Lord
I'm a sol, I'm good, but I'm no spirit juice or anything like that.

My friends are actually able to do well in tourney though, but if you're traveling for the purpose of a smash tournament of any sort, don't expect them to show up lol, they're not smashers.

Me and the guilty gear/smashers in my crew are decent though.

I know socal has more tournaments because of the family fun arcade, and I hear they're better in general, but you should still come to norcal.

Btw, who are you on the dustloop forums?

pockyD

Smash Legend
You have losers report because no one is going to lie about them losing.
First off, I didn't realize that there was a rule about who would report. Without such standards, the loser could simply report that they won.

If you do force losers to report, it's possible for the losers to just not report at all, and both players be disqualified. What if the loser was frustrated and left? (not too rare in brawl)

If someone says they lost, they either lost, or are pretending they're someone they're not. If the latter holds true, then when player A claims that he actually won, you bring in player B, find out that they're not who they claimed they were, and it is solved without having to repeat a set, or DQing unfairly.
Overthinking

Axis asked for both players to report, which was a simple system; unfortunately, they didn't enforce it, nor did most players pay enough attention to do it on their own

If it were up to me, I would give every pairing a slip with the matchup on it, then ask them to circle the winner and have them both sign it.

Of the 5, only 2 of them were DQed because the announcer horribly butchered their names, to the point of being beyond recognition, but this is just people I know. I can't imagine that they were an isolated instance.
People with ridiculous names shouldn't expect to have them pronounced correctly. If you sign up as "fakwehakjsdhfbdsajhbcsa", you're begging to not hear your name.

Once again, a well-run tournament would have matchups posted on the projector instead of projecting a FFA items match (mid-tournament, no less), but not being able to understand your own name is your own fault for signing up under a stupid name.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
People are forced to type underscores when putting me into their tournaments.
but arent forced to scream out"THE UNDERSCORE UNDERSCORE UNDERSCORE CHEESE! STATION 4"
we need to record more casey, me and cam are gonna start recording just me and him on fridays so i think we should record thursdays.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Hmm, that could work.

What about the others?

I think people would eventually stop watching all of the Falcon vs Ganon, since both me and Cam play Falcon.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
Hmm, that could work.

What about the others?

I think people would eventually stop watching all of the Falcon vs Ganon, since both me and Cam play Falcon.
well, since i have enough ganon vs cf stuff @_@ i dont need any of that unless you need it. But i think carlos and little bill$ need some vids. also jose and alan need some because they are lacking.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
but arent forced to scream out"THE UNDERSCORE UNDERSCORE UNDERSCORE CHEESE! STATION 4"
we need to record more casey, me and cam are gonna start recording just me and him on fridays so i think we should record thursdays.
LOL @ someone shouting "the underscore underscore underscore..."

P.S. Someone in SF come smash with me. I need to not suck at this game haha

The___cheese

Smash Lord
@ Vodage: come to CCC lol. 9am- 3pm all in between classes with different people lol.

@ Joe: I just saw your matches with Cameron, sick **** lol.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
You have losers report because no one is going to lie about them losing. If someone says they lost, they either lost, or are pretending they're someone they're not. If the latter holds true, then when player A claims that he actually won, you bring in player B, find out that they're not who they claimed they were, and it is solved without having to repeat a set, or DQing unfairly.
What. No, you have winners report always. That way if the loser tries to cheat and say he won, you have 2 people coming up to report the same match and you get it settled. Why the hell would you trust the loser to report that he lost?

Casey I play GG. Horribly, but I like to play it, aka I can play it for at least 2-3 hours at a time. I use Dizzy, Bridget, and Millia.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'm a sol, I'm good, but I'm no spirit juice or anything like that.

My friends are actually able to do well in tourney though, but if you're traveling for the purpose of a smash tournament of any sort, don't expect them to show up lol, they're not smashers.

Me and the guilty gear/smashers in my crew are decent though.

I know socal has more tournaments because of the family fun arcade, and I hear they're better in general, but you should still come to norcal.

Btw, who are you on the dustloop forums?
I'm traveling for GG, not for Smash. Our smash scene has more or less moved on, and we just use the game to get money from scrubs/or for teams (srsly, I ♥ teams).

I'd rather come to NorCal, personally. I know more of the players, they're friendlier, and I've never actually been.

I'm 4Corners on dustloop. I only post in the Zappa forums right now. Once I get him down better and start to actually do well in tourneys outside of CO, I'll post elsewhere, but for now, I'm just another scrub.

If it were up to me, I would give every pairing a slip with the matchup on it, then ask them to circle the winner and have them both sign it.
I actually really really like this idea. I think I'll start doing it for tournaments I host. Or at least try it out.

People with ridiculous names shouldn't expect to have them pronounced correctly. If you sign up as "fakwehakjsdhfbdsajhbcsa", you're begging to not hear your name.
Slayn isn't really all that hard to pronounce. Somehow, they botched it beyond recognition, though.

It WAS a huge tournament, though, so props to them for even finishing singles. Really sad that teams never happened though. Really really sad.

Once again, a well-run tournament would have matchups posted on the projector instead of projecting a FFA items match (mid-tournament, no less), but not being able to understand your own name is your own fault for signing up under a stupid name.
Wow, that's... wow.

Well, whatever. I do recognize how hard it is to run a 300 man tournament. I sure as hell couldn't do it with my current staff. D:

Hyuga, I wish it worked out that well. I guess it IS the winner's fault if they don't report themselves, though. Hrm.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Cool, I'll see about upcoming tournaments.

Any set goal for when you're coming to norcal?

I can see about tournament dates (If any) around the time you want to come here.

There have been less tournaments and stuff due to gas kicking people's *****, but one has to happen sometime or another, so I'll get back to you.

I'm The___cheese on dustloop too lol.

Shroomed

Smash Master
well, since i have enough ganon vs cf stuff @_@ i dont need any of that unless you need it. But i think carlos and little bill$ need some vids. also jose and alan need some because they are lacking.
wtf i'm little bill$? **** you joe lol

but yeah i need some doc **** vids, even though everyone knows i **** already =)

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
This methods works very well when theres 50+ matches going on

When I went to Magic TCG prerelease tourneys, they did that method and had very few problems with reporting matches.

I wonder how long a Swiss tournament (~200 people) would take with say, cut down to top 64

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Cool, I'll see about upcoming tournaments.

Any set goal for when you're coming to norcal?

I can see about tournament dates (If any) around the time you want to come here.

There have been less tournaments and stuff due to gas kicking people's *****, but one has to happen sometime or another, so I'll get back to you.

I'm The___cheese on dustloop too lol.
After the first week of October, so I actually have money for it. I'd like it to be a tournament with a lot of really good players. Though if you can get just one well-known Zappa main, I'd go up there for a 25 person bracket, prolly.

Top Bottom