• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol P how come you always post after me!

i wore a white polo long sleeve button up shirt and a big white jacket over it. i looked like popo.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
If I Dont Do Nothin Ima Ball
Im Countin All Day Like A Clock On Da Wall

Go And Get Cha Money Little Duffle Bag Boy
Say Go And Get Cha Money Little Duffle Bag Boy......................

I Aint Neva Ran From A *****
And I Dayum Sure Aint Bout Ta Pick A Day Ta Start Runnin

WassupJB

Smash Lord
lol P how come you always post after me!

i wore a white polo long sleeve button up shirt and a big white jacket over it. i looked like popo.
oh and you wouldn't beat box. :(

If I Dont Do Nothin Ima Ball
Im Countin All Day Like A Clock On Da Wall

Go And Get Cha Money Little Duffle Bag Boy
Say Go And Get Cha Money Little Duffle Bag Boy......................

I Aint Neva Ran From A *****
And I Dayum Sure Aint Bout Ta Pick A Day Ta Start Runnin
that weezy song is not a good influence my brotha. and that hook/chorus just sounds real good, like good as all hell. but man the lyrics, like in most mainstream hip hop, SUCK.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Lil Wayne is actually dope as ****, if inconsistent. "Most" mainstream music in any genre is horrible, I have no idea why rap always gets picked on. In fact I can name a half dozen or so mainstream rappers who are still among the best in all of rap, and the same can't be said for other genres.

This matters naught, I just pick on uninformed opinions.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
lol thats just because your friends. I've had a cousin come to NCB once and you wouldn't believe how gay he thought Hyuuga was.
Oh okay.

I don't really even feel insulted by that, just kind of astounded at how anyone would come to that conclusion.

P.S. Hyrdo Kirby is an honorary Deep Norcalian.

jmic

Smash Ace
Hey guys I'm really good at the game of Super Smash Brothers Melee. I can beat three level 9's with Fox on Final Destination. I just learned how to wave dash too.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hey fella boys and girl i am beter at ssbm game than mr. jmic! who think he is godly with falcon taunt and falcon joints (elbow and knee ppl!)

ok ok so like

i use ice climberzzz nd they r sooo gud they r 2 of them and like WOW they hit opponent so hard with hamers that like the oponent is dedz no mater wat he or she do!

i aslo like 2 use fox and many other character and my favorite is bowser (really) nd yea i am very good! e esp. like ice climberz cuz they so god. are they like brother and sis? or are they bf and gf? watever it is i would hella want to tap nana cuz that a$$ is so fi0ne!

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Lil Wayne is actually dope as ****, if inconsistent. "Most" mainstream music in any genre is horrible, I have no idea why rap always gets picked on. In fact I can name a half dozen or so mainstream rappers who are still among the best in all of rap, and the same can't be said for other genres.

This matters naught, I just pick on uninformed opinions.
how can you say my opinion is uninformed? you don't know me lol. i'm hip hop fanatic, i love it. but most mainstream is garbage, hyphy sh.t too. and who are these 6 (half a dozen) rappers that are among the best in all of rap, that are out NOW? i cannot think of more than 2 rappers out NOW that would even be close to making best rappers of all time. the easiest one off the top is jay-z. and POTENTIALLY is lupe. when i hear best of all in rap, i think of a top 10 list. who out now will make that list...*sigh* for some reason i have a feeling you're gonna say kanye. lol

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I have no doubt that I have listened to hundreds more hours of rap and dozens upon dozens of rap acts, some deeper than the deepest of underground. When it comes to music, I am quite the elitist, especially as it pertains to rap.

In rough order:

- Joe Budden
- Clipse
- Lil Wayne
- Lupe Fiasco
- Jay-Z
- Chamillionaire

And that's not even counting the under-the-radar but still "technically" mainstream dudes signed onto major labels, or in the process of getting a lot of buzz with the potential to blow up (Joell Ortiz, Saigon, Apathy, Skyzoo, Papoose), or the older mainstream acts who still release good material (Ghostface, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Canibus, Common), or the overall decent rappers who, when are on their best, are up there with anyone (Andre 3000, who is hands down a top three rapper of all-time when he's actually trying, Styles P, Freeway, Jadakiss, Mos Def when he's trying, Fabolous.

You can section it into four tiers: the main mainstream, which are the dudes who are just "hot," be it with one song or one album or are just overall "in" right now. Then you have the rest of the mainstream, which is still rappers on major labels, rappers who create buzz in the streets (as contrived as that may sound, believe me I know) and on the net, the up-and-coming rappers who could blow and are due to get signed to major labels, etc. Then there is the underground, sort of like the "mainstream" underground, where if you search for even five minutes you'll run into their names as underground heavyweights (Jedi Mind Tricks, Demigodz -- who also sort of count for mainstream considering they are on a major label -- Little Brother, Boot Camp Clik, MF DOOM, Cunninlynguists, Stones Throw, etc.). Then you have the "true" underground of sorts, the dudes you have to really research and strive to hear, dudes I'm fairly sure you've never heard of like Esau, Animate Projects, Greenhouse Effect, Davu & Eyamme, etc.

Trust me, I've heard a ton of it, and while I won't be as so arrogant to say I've heard it all, I've heard about 90% of it, to the point that I am rarely truly impressed or blown away. And that's without even touching upon dudes like Nas and Kanye (and to a lesser extent, Common), mainstream dudes who are liked / loved by rap fans of all kinds (personally I think the trio is insanely overrated, but they all have moments of greatness).

Psssh, you shouldn't of got me started.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
super rad you are officially my new best boards friend. Little Brother is easily my favorite group out right now. how did you know?!

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Ha, I went to the LB concert in LA in November with Evidence, and **** was amazing. Signed t-shirts from Phonte and Big Pooh ^^, toooooo good

And Murs came out =)

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Ha, I went to the LB concert in LA in November with Evidence, and **** was amazing. Signed t-shirts from Phonte and Big Pooh ^^, toooooo good

And Murs came out =)
that is beautiful and i wish i was there. there was an abb release party in oakland when get back dropped but i wasn't able to go cause of 21+.

let me get back to my response! **** it p! you impressed me thought *writing*

fu<k.n mutli tasking (john)

SuperRad

Smash Master
I knew because P was like "who's that guy on youtube with the little brother shirt on" and i was like hmm
then i was watching Haze getting ***** by Zhu, and saw a picture of you in the corner. I put two and two together.

Also, in case you didn't know, I was the guy who asked if you were at Rock the Bells <_<

WassupJB

Smash Lord
I knew because P was like "who's that guy on youtube with the little brother shirt on" and i was like hmm
then i was watching Haze getting ***** by Zhu, and saw a picture of you in the corner. I put two and two together.

Also, in case you didn't know, I was the guy who asked if you were at Rock the Bells <_<
i remember you rad. no worries there brotha. *writing* lol

WassupJB

Smash Lord
I have no doubt that I have listened to hundreds more hours of rap and dozens upon dozens of rap acts, some deeper than the deepest of underground. When it comes to music, I am quite the elitist, especially as it pertains to rap.

In rough order:

- Joe Budden
- Clipse
- Lil Wayne
- Lupe Fiasco
- Jay-Z
- Chamillionaire

And that's not even counting the under-the-radar but still "technically" mainstream dudes signed onto major labels, or in the process of getting a lot of buzz with the potential to blow up (Joell Ortiz, Saigon, Apathy, Skyzoo, Papoose), or the older mainstream acts who still release good material (Ghostface, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Canibus, Common), or the overall decent rappers who, when are on their best, are up there with anyone (Andre 3000, who is hands down a top three rapper of all-time when he's actually trying, Styles P, Freeway, Jadakiss, Mos Def when he's trying, Fabolous.

You can section it into four tiers: the main mainstream, which are the dudes who are just "hot," be it with one song or one album or are just overall "in" right now. Then you have the rest of the mainstream, which is still rappers on major labels, rappers who create buzz in the streets (as contrived as that may sound, believe me I know) and on the net, the up-and-coming rappers who could blow and are due to get signed to major labels, etc. Then there is the underground, sort of like the "mainstream" underground, where if you search for even five minutes you'll run into their names as underground heavyweights (Jedi Mind Tricks, Demigodz -- who also sort of count for mainstream considering they are on a major label -- Little Brother, Boot Camp Clik, MF DOOM, Cunninlynguists, Stones Throw, etc.). Then you have the "true" underground of sorts, the dudes you have to really research and strive to hear, dudes I'm fairly sure you've never heard of like Esau, Animate Projects, Greenhouse Effect, Davu & Eyamme, etc.

Trust me, I've heard a ton of it, and while I won't be as so arrogant to say I've heard it all, I've heard about 90% of it, to the point that I am rarely truly impressed or blown away. And that's without even touching upon dudes like Nas and Kanye (and to a lesser extent, Common), mainstream dudes who are liked / loved by rap fans of all kinds (personally I think the trio is insanely overrated, but they all have moments of greatness).

Psssh, you shouldn't of got me started.
man i really like what you said. your tier list of artist, though hilarious cause i feel like you related it to smash, is correct for the most part. honestly i wish we could kick it and discuss this ****, cause you impressed me with WHO you know. but to turn back on to the mainstream artist who you said are the best out right now and would make the best of all rap *BUZZER*. though they are dope, no doubt, i disagree with them being the best of all time. you with your knowledge i'd expect a little more than that. if you say those 6 artist would make best rappers of all time borderline disrespects yourself. cause i hold murs above everyone on your list besides jay and lupe. and now i see that i'm getting in to opinion which cannot be argued as fact, but i must go on since i disagree! lol.

mainstream content is still full of bullsh.t. justify their content which also justifys their right of being on top. and we could go deeper into this my brotha.

edit: SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST!!!!

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
man rap is horrible

lol
if you were / are 100% open-minded i am 100% sure i could get you (or anyone else open-minded) to like and appreciate rap.

i think it's incredibly silly to say any genre is crap. humans are amazing creatures at time, and when they create something that is the best of the best, there are always redeeming qualities about it that anyone with an open mind can like and appreciate. (maybe country is an exception, but i've never heard the best country has to offer. :p) i got love for rock, classical, techno, and rap.

i wouldn't say my list was best of "all time," no, just some of the best right now. (including underground, my main list would be like: celph titled, phonte / little brother, joe budden, supastition [top 4 in stone], then like apathy / vakill / one be lo / louis logic / lil wayne / clipse [not in order]).

but for the most part i think best rappers right now = best all time. i think rap has advanced and the rap out now is > than the **** out in the past.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
I tend to like certain music for its' creative melodies and (in)harmonics with other instruments. I also appreciate the music which can conjure up the certain feelings I relate with in other areas of my life more than the music/songs that do not.

I will usually listen to a song and determine whether or not it sounds good based upon what I've heard in the past (I believe this is very crucial in determining whether or not you think a song sounds good), and then associate that song with either something in my past or brand it as a present song which will open paths of nostalgia for the future.

I appreciate a lot of music and usually am very open-minded for genres, but I tend to enjoy rap at a small amount compared to much other music. It is because (usually) rap does not fit my mold of what music sounds good to me, being in a band and playing the flute and piano for many years (a classical guy).

It is not that I have little care for the creativity put into rap music because it is far different from classical music, but that I am looking for something else in the music that rap doesn't have (...usually).

I did not organize my post too greatly, but yeah oh well.

What it sums up to:
Rap has aspects that I usually don't look for, hence my small collection of rap.

oh yeah,
I don't only listen to classical.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
you don't value the power of words and lyrics presented in an articulate, poetic fashion? just the sheer talent and creativity level it takes to rhyme, to create concepts, to switch the rhyme scheme. and then there's the flow, the breath control, the ability to ride a beat, to switch up your cadence throughout the same song, inside the same verse. then switching up the rhyme scheme from the normal a-b-a-b, to creating internal rhymes, to the metaphors and similes, to hidden references...

i find actual words to be more powerful than any other music.

Top Bottom