• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

MacD

Banned via Administration
evny, teams yes, somehow our team FTW (but we'd need jungle jjapes lololololololololol)

i think jungle japes and greens greens are okay for counter pics, i mean it sucks to get blown up by a block, but you could just ban it

peaches castle in teams sounds interesting in teams, i'd say why not

and i do like the second neutral stage idea, but like zoap (i think) said, it is hard enough for some people to know the noraml stage ban rules

also, having dk64 and rainbow cruise on random is getting a little excited and over zealous

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Let me respond by saying that "neutral" is not the same thing as "platform/flat stage." Furthermore, "I like/don't like those stages" is not a valid reason for (not) including a stage in the random/counterpick set.

The Klaptrap is, to the best of anyone's knowledge, random, with constraints on the max/min time he can appear again. The falling blocks on Green Greens are, to the best of anyone's knowledge, random. These random elements can cost a stock at 0% or save a person from sure death. That's not the end of the problems with these stages though. Japes is imbalanced towards characters who can't approach well aerially, and Green Greens is imbalanced in that it is small, lasers can go JUST above the center platform from the side platforms, and recovery imbalances when under blocks. Any of these things BY THEMSELVES for the stages is not ban-worthy in my opinion, but the combination is just too much. To reiterate, randomness which can DIRECTLY make an immediate difference in stock, coupled with inherent imbalances leads to my opinion that they should be banned.

I'm glad people like the other stage ban idea. I think it would only be implemented in brackets, not in pools. That way you get mostly people who pay attention to rules. And seriously it's not a difficult thing to remember. And there's none of that "What are you banning?" "I dunno, what are YOU banning?" bull****e.

As for counterpicks "unduly" favoring one character or another, "unduly" is subjective. Keep in mind that the whole point of counterpicks is to give you an advantage in the matchup, and that stage bans exist. True neutrality is a mathematical impossibility anyway (unless it's a ditto with symmetric starting locations, and neglecting controller port advantage). Mute is far from an auto-win for Jiggly, though in many matchups (but not all) it is her best stage. Brinstar isn't even close. Mute and Brinstar are also good for other characters besides Jiggly. If you think fighting a Jiggly on Mute is hard as Fox, try fighting a Marth on Mute. Fox just never gets taken there because Marth has even better stages, but it is a tough fight. Against Jiggly, Fox can just up B RIGHT AT Jiggly from under the stage and it's hard to deal with; Fox also has very little lag upon landing from his up B. Poke Floats, in my experience, is no better a Fox stage than say Pokemon Stadium. If anything, Falco's double/triple shine off the top is more powerful. So, again, Mute is not an auto-win for Jiggly, Jiggly has better stages for some matchups, and Mute favors people besides Jiggly as well. Green Greens and Corneria are going under their own reviews as well.

Regarding that, again, I don't see how we can allow Corneria and NOT Peach's Castle and be consistent in our reasoning. They must either both be on or both off. To my mind (I know I'm in the minority in this opinion), Peach's Castle is a more 'acceptable' stage than Corneria.

Now, why DK64 and Rainbow Cruise on neutral? Don't forget that if this is implemented, it comes with a RANDOM RESET. First, the idea of neutral stages is to have a stage SET that is overall "neutral" (which again can never be perfect, only an approximation). This does not mean that each stage must be neutral, but that the imbalances in each stage, when added up over all the stages in the neutral set, should be averaged out. The addition of DK64 and RC AND THE RANDOM RESET accomplishes a greater overall neutrality than the neutral 6. You don't ever have to play Cruise if you don't want to. I think Cruise is a good anti-camping stage. Sure, you can just follow the leading edge of the stage, but at the risk of a quick death. And you can camp the trailing edge of the stage, but then you are forced to move at a certain rate, and the opponent can approach you on his own terms. The stage's different parts are suited to long-range styles and in-your-face styles at different times. The stage is 100% non-random, it moves in exactly the same predictable way every time.

But this brings up one other point. Neutrality or balance only makes sense in the context of a ruleset. Any change in the rules changes the balance of the game. Conceivably, a ruleset could be constructed that balances Pichu with Fox, even if it is something as contrived as 'Fox has to forfeit a stock each match." So the question really is, how far are we willing to go with our rules in order to achieve balance? Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik are top tier because our rules allow them to be. The first reasonable (if any) changes that can be made to the rules involve the stages. Neutral does not mean 3 platform/flat stage, it means balancing the game.

Lastly, let me just do a blatant appeal to emotion: Aren't you tired of the same rules the whole time? Don't you want to have some goddam fun with the rules for once, especially since Melee has 2 months of life left, and Melee will most likely be a side tourney the rest of your lives? And don't you think it's good to have experience with different rulesets, since different regions do things differently? In the Midwest, they have something called the Ship 10, which is the neutral 6 plus Cruise, Floats, Brinstar, and Mute, ALL ON RANDOM. Ignore the rules of other major tourneys at your own risk.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I say don't ban jungle japes or green greens. Sure the klap trap and exploding blocks can kill someone quickly, but the same danger applies to both players, and the cloud at yoshi's story can save someone's life and alter the outcome, but its not banned. If someone doesn't like one of those stages, then they should just use that as their stage ban. And besides, green greens and jungle japes are 2 out of dk's 4 counterpick stages. Other 2 aren't as good either.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
I personally think of green greens as random but fun.

As for the klaptrap, I think of it as something a tiny bit random, but the fact that it is surely going to happen, unless weird green greens stuff, should warrant its legality.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I say don't ban jungle japes or green greens. Sure the klap trap and exploding blocks can kill someone quickly, but the same danger applies to both players
Some characters more than others, and entirely random bad luck happening to both players doesn't mean it's suddenly tolerable.

and the cloud at yoshi's story can save someone's life and alter the outcome, but its not banned.
But much less chance that happens than someone gets klapped for a life. The cloud is much easier to deal with than klap.

If someone doesn't like one of those stages, then they should just use that as their stage ban.
Problem is there are multiple homosexual stages available for ban, and you can't ban them all. If there are two ridiculously lame unfair stages and you can only strike out one, how is "not my fault you can only ban one" really an argument?

And besides, green greens and jungle japes are 2 out of dk's 4 counterpick stages.
The true motivation ^^

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
I say don't ban jungle japes or green greens. Sure the klap trap and exploding blocks can kill someone quickly, but the same danger applies to both players, and the cloud at yoshi's story can save someone's life and alter the outcome, but its not banned. If someone doesn't like one of those stages, then they should just use that as their stage ban. And besides, green greens and jungle japes are 2 out of dk's 4 counterpick stages. Other 2 aren't as good either.

Are the klap trapped based on a time? If it is... then I think it maybe should be able to stay... although I really don't like all the invincibility frames and edge abuse that stage is capable of, but to make the game competitive, were trying to eliminate random factors

Green green has completely random blocks/bombs that fall right? and apples fall at random times? too much randomness for my taste...

but then again... I think cornaria is also a stupid abusive stage...

my 2 cents.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
the klap trap is below the stage anyways, lol. If the person is down there, they're probably dying anyways. haha. To be honest, i just don't want you guys to ban 2 of my favorite stages. You gotta look at it from my perspective, most characters have a ton of "good stages", dk has like 3 or 4. Banning those two stages knocks it down to 1 or 2. Meaning that i won't really have a "counterpick stage", it'll be more like a "A little better than the last stage stage" I'm just saying that you're crippling certain characters by banning those

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good job ban jungle japes so mexican doesn't pick it against me

i like the alternative stage ban method

i also like that wobbling is not banned

hyuga, you are good at making rules.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Lastly, let me just do a blatant appeal to emotion: Aren't you tired of the same rules the whole time? Don't you want to have some goddam fun with the rules for once, especially since Melee has 2 months of life left, and Melee will most likely be a side tourney the rest of your lives? And don't you think it's good to have experience with different rulesets, since different regions do things differently? In the Midwest, they have something called the Ship 10, which is the neutral 6 plus Cruise, Floats, Brinstar, and Mute, ALL ON RANDOM. Ignore the rules of other major tourneys at your own risk.
Ah, the gay stages. Seems fun -_-

MacD

Banned via Administration
i love the midwest rules, we should play that, lol, not going to happen, but still

seriously though, for teams allow peach castle + corneria, for singles both baned, at least, under your discription of why they should be allowed, that makes the most since from what you said in the first place

after actually tihnking about cruise and dk64, i guess it makes since, they are neutal, and if we get a stage ban and random reset, then you wouldn't ever have to play those levels

i forgot about the gayness of lasers on green greens and the no recovery and bad sides

with jungle japes, say that the clap trap was timed (kind of like the yoshi cloud) would anyone even know when it was supposed to come, probably not unless that is your counter pic stage of choise because you probably aren't going to count the seconds and make sure you stay out of its line of fire, i mean if people really knew the cloud timing and stuff, wouldn't it make since to draw the battle to the side that benefits you, go to the cloud if you're dying, away from it if you are trying to kill the person

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
the klap trap can be teched...and i honestly don't see why you guys are trying to change the rules now. Melee has about 2 months of life left in it and you guys are trying to squeeze in some extra gayness into whats probably gonna be the last big tournament. But whatever.

To anyone that i have mm's with, our mm's WILL NOT follow these rules. It'll be based off of the original tournament rules, not the ones that are just being made up all of the sudden.

Zoap

Smash Master
Ill say it again:

Nemesis/Lord do either of you want to team for this event. Poor Snap has a final on Saturday and since you guys are cool your my picks. This an honor dont pass it up:)

Sheridan has a PHD in Physics better listen to him, except on banning Green Greens and Jungle Japes as though stages have nothing to do with physics.

I also like the idea of the new stage ban for bracket not pool, as by then people in the bracket are gonna be the best people.

this psycho smilie is awesome :psycho:

I'll prob get there early to help Kizzo setup and get ready. Also I'm going to be bringing my laptop, BUT please 2 more people volunteer to bring theirs as well, so that even if one of us forgets we have one.

Ive come up with a new idea for the norcal money, it should be donated to me cuz its been in my account for so long its practically mine.

Zoap

Smash Master
Mexican MM's at this biweekly must follow the biweekly rules or they can't be done. Plain and simple.

More Seriously: If your gonna be MM'ing Show up early and ****ing get them done before the tournament. Most likely we wont have many T.Vs for friendlies and I personally can't stand *******s that take up a friendly Tv for MM's. Also dont even try and do them on a tournament TV. Ill just walk in front of you and pull your controllers out, I dont give a ****.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Mexican MM's at this biweekly must follow the biweekly rules or they can't be done. Plain and simple.

More Seriously: If your gonna be MM'ing Show up early and ****ing get them done before the tournament. Most likely we wont have many T.Vs for friendlies and I personally can't stand *******s that take up a friendly Tv for MM's. Also dont even try and do them on a tournament TV. Ill just walk in front of you and pull your controllers out, I dont give a ****.
Don't worry, any mm's i do won't be when tournament matches are being played, unless of course its near the end and only like...2 tv's are being used. I know that the tv's are needed for tournament matches

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
zoap your voice is so deep, how did you get it like that

right now i am imagining zoap singing umbrella by rihanna and i don't know why

Zoap

Smash Master
When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs
Ev'ry morning to help me get large
And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs
So I'm roughly the size of a barge

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LMFAO +rep baby

alright i'll stop spamming in here (for now)

Yo, whoever knows how to look at thread stats... how's the post count ranking now? xDDD Does MyKo still **** everyone? Just wondering cuz I spam a lot lately. Tues and Thurs I have a 4 hour break at school where I normally just go on smashboards (like now)

Binx

Smash Master
chok, i'm gonna see you at this tournament right? also do you have a partner for teams? I play a decent Fox and Puff for teamsies.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sorry i already have a partner who is my best friend. funny, i also play fox and jiggs in teams, lol.

but i'm excited to see my IC forum buddy LOL

brandon, vincent needs a teammate.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Oh I forgot one other thing that's important:

Do not fu
cking come to the tourney smelling like weed, like someone did last week. I personally don't care if you do it on your own time, and I don't think any less of you for it, but let me remind you that all the TO's can be held responsible for any illegal ****e that happens at a tourney, and if a cop comes in a the room smells like goddam weed, there's a good chance that people are going to get in trouble, and the entire tourney will probably be broken up. As TO's, we cannot let that happen to the people that travelled all this way to play. What are the chances that that will happen? Probably not very big, but when the entire tourney could get shut down, there's no reason to take any chances. If you want to smoke, do it anywhere but at the venue, and don't smell like it when you get here. I really hope someone well-known does it so I can boot him to show you guys we're not fu
cking kidding about this.

Plus not everyone wants to smell that ****e. I have a poor sense of smell so I don't care, but others do.

Back to rules stuff:

I think Peach's Castle and Corneria being on for doubles and off for singles, as macd suggested, makes the most sense.

Yes, the randomness in Japes and Green Greens can affect each person equally, but that doesn't make it acceptable. If there were a stage like FD, except every 30 sec, Master Hand flipped a coin and took a stock from someone based on the coin toss, that affects both players potentially equally, but I'm pretty sure nobody would want that stage on.

The Klaptrap can be teched if you're god. It comes at random times. The cloud on YS doesn't. It has a 20 second pattern: it appears when the seconds timer says 5, on the right if the tens is odd, and on the left if the tens is even. It stays out for 5 seconds. It's not hard to keep track of, and a few characters can stall for a few seconds to get the cloud. It's something everyone can be aware of, and it's 100% non-random.

For the alternate stage ban method, it requires an odd number of neutral stages, so that each person bans the same number, and there is one leftover. If we do 5, then it will be the neutral 6 minus Yoshi's Story, as I think most people agree that is the "least neutral" of all the 6 neutrals. If we do 7, it will be the neutral 6 plus either RC or DK64.

Miztik

Smash Master
I got the coolest teammate ever son its Park best yoshi on this side of the map

YEA THATS RITE I SAID IT BEST YOSHI YAYUHZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If Peach Castle is banned, so should Corneria.
Why isn't Green Greens banned in every tournament? I love that stage, but it's obviously full of randomness.

But I really don't care what is eventually chosen for stages. I'll play on any stage. No johns.

BTW, I love the alternate first stage bannings. It makes more sense than "Random".

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Well you said having Peach's Castle on makes more sense than Corneria, and I agree with that, but why have either of them on honestly? The lasers from the ships are just as random as the bombs from Green Green's or the klap trap or whatever. Corneria is an extremely campy stage, with a really low ceiling too, I honestly don't know why its even on.

Also, I'm perfectly fine with changing things up, but I wouldn't say "smash isn't fun because we play on the same stages all the time", or anything of the sort. I honestly have more fun on Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story, etc than say Rainbow Cruise and DK64. Basically though, switching things up is cool, but I dont like to risk things for a big tournament. Regardless of my opinion though, those rules seem to work great, and the changes made aren't very big, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah I have no idea who I'm teaming with at this, I have no idea if foxroar's going @_@.

Falcomist: No, that 4 stock back then doesn't give you 3 extra wins or whatever lolz, its close though, like 5-4 or something...in my favor ^_<

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Do 7 and just add DK64, I think it's one of the more fair "counterpick" stages.

Plus the music is incredible.

Nice censor bypass.

Can we just like... be high but not smell like weed? Iono, it's kinda easy to smoke and not smell like weed. I'm now really curious to who did that :p

Top Bottom