• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
OK so let's do Swiss some other time then. I think if we wait it will also give us time to agree on a ruleset.

Hmm...my TDS ranking's probably like 7000k but I haven't played that much online, probably about 800 games. I hope King will join in our Tetris festivities, I'm anticipating he has improved much since MLG Anaheim ^_^

And yeah there are cheaters on Wifi but I've never run into any that I know of.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dyZRTqSKs00

mike666

Smash Apprentice
After talking it over with David, we have both reached the conclusion that the NCB this Saturday is going to be the last biweekly INDEFINITELY. Meaning that due to our bizy schedules we cannot say when we can host another one, however that does not mean there won't be anymore. All it means is we cannot schedule one ahead of time, but we will do our best to let you know ahead of time if we can host one.

The schedule for this biweekly:

Teams --> Singles --> Battle for the best city with teams starting at 12:30 and everything else following after that. Also, if the majority of people request it, I will set up the projector.

Prices will be $10 per team and $8 per person for singles.

As for the rules, hopefully we will have it established before 12:30 so there will not be as much confusion. There is also a strong chance that we will just do everything by hand because I'm honestly getting really irritated by the "techincal difficulties" we've been having so yeah, Shadow get ready to write cuz I know how much you've been dyin to do them by hand.

Lastly, because I expect a huge turnout, we will not be doing the swiss format in the interest of time, but I'm sure you guys can try that some other time. Plz plz plz BRING YOUR CUBES and since I'm sure there's going to be a lot of talent, I highly suggest you guys to bring your laptops and or VCRs. The club does have a capture card, so do not worry if you do not.

See yall on Saturday and make sure to bring at least 4 ppl from your city/area so you guys can try and win the title for "Best City"

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
After talking it over with David, we have both reached the conclusion that the NCB this Saturday is going to be the last biweekly INDEFINITELY. Meaning that due to our bizy schedules we cannot say when we can host another one, however that does not mean there won't be anymore. All it means is we cannot schedule one ahead of time, but we will do our best to let you know ahead of time if we can host one.

Teams --> Singles --> Battle for the best city with teams starting at 12:30 and everything else following after that. Also, if the majority of people request it, I will set up the projector.

As for the rules, hopefully we will have it established before 12:30 so there will not be as much confusion. There is also a strong chance that we will just do everything by hand because I'm honestly getting really irritated by the "techincal difficulties" we've been having so yeah, Shadow get ready to write cuz I know how much you've been dyin to do them by hand.

Lastly, because I expect a huge turnout, we will not be doing the swiss format in the interest of time, but I'm sure you guys can try that some other time. Plz plz plz BRING YOUR CUBES and since I'm sure there's going to be a lot of talent, I highly suggest you guys to bring your laptops and or VCRs. The club does have a capture card, so do not worry if you do not.

See yall on Saturday and make sure to bring at least 4 ppl from your city/area so you guys can try and win the title for "Best City"
Hmm everything sounds good to me, I think it should be crews though, not city, considering the only crew in the same city is like DBR =/. I would be more than happy to do the brackets though, I'm tired of forgetting people and having to reupdate it and everything. Also I like doing the seeding and everything, instead of skill levels and everything (yes I know you can do it manually, I'm just more confident in doing it by hand). If anyone REALLY wants to help out or something though with the brackets, they are more than welcome to, but if not I can handle it on my own ;D

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I think the "technical difficulties" are basically cause by people not knowing how to operate the software. I'm willing to bet if people took the time to read all the instructions instead of just learning as they go, all the ****e would be working smoothly.

And as for rules, I will post my proposed changes later tonight.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I think the "technical difficulties" are basically cause by people not knowing how to operate the software. I'm willing to bet if people took the time to read all the instructions instead of just learning as they go, all the ****e would be working smoothly.

And as for rules, I will post my proposed changes later tonight.
I personally don't think there would be any "technical difficulties" either, I think that it would take far too long to do considering that there are many more matches. Also we have not done this before, and I highly doubt that every participant has read or will read the rules, so I just think it would be easier at a smaller tournament where we will have more time.

For rules I think I'll just give my opinions on the rules proposed by you and anyone else who posts them, cuz I'm too lazy to copy, paste, and edit the MLG ruleset XDXD

Zoap

Smash Master
I guess my rules werent good enough :(, watever ill bring a copy of them anyway. I know how to operate Tio very well, so yea, if we do want to do tio, i can bring my laptop and do all the signups and WE CAN MANUALLY seed then do it from there. If not, I will help wit seeding, brackets and anything else I can. Ill also see wat I can do for the cube situation. As for city, i disagree, simply cuz DSF is comin up and he wouldnt be able to team with anyone. There fore it should be crews.

As to crews it should be 24 stock seeing as, 3,4,6, and 8 all divide into that number. Also 5, and 7 is not that difficult. It should be Kish system. Etc etc. If someone can give me a good reason as to why they dont like these rules they can post.

MangoFalco

Smash Rookie
Where when and 12:30 kind of early? they change the time? >.< im going to try my best to make it the "last" scheduled biweekly even though i haven't went to any yet....o.o anyone from Milpitas wanna give me a ride?

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
I guess my rules werent good enough :(, watever ill bring a copy of them anyway. I know how to operate Tio very well, so yea, if we do want to do tio, i can bring my laptop and do all the signups and WE CAN MANUALLY seed then do it from there. If not, I will help wit seeding, brackets and anything else I can. Ill also see wat I can do for the cube situation. As for city, i disagree, simply cuz DSF is comin up and he wouldnt be able to team with anyone. There fore it should be crews.

As to crews it should be 24 stock seeing as, 3,4,6, and 8 all divide into that number. Also 5, and 7 is not that difficult. It should be Kish system. Etc etc. If someone can give me a good reason as to why they dont like these rules they can post.
I know how to work tio very well too, as does Lunin ;D, but I personally trust handmade brackets much more (even if we can do the exact same thing on tio haha). I've just been doing it that way for years, so I guess I just prefer what I've used and what has worked out.

Honestly I've never done crews with 24 stock, wouldn't that mean that like 3 people would have 8 stock each? And 4 with 6 stock, 6 with 4 stock and 8 with 3 stock??? Haha iono I think I'm gonna go with what I said with the making of brackets; I would prefer what we usually do to avoid controversy and help with time constraints.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Aww... but controversy is so fun when everyone's trying to figure out the problems at a tournament that's already running late...lol

So how did you guys lose the Tio brackets before? You do know it auto-saves every thirty seconds right? Let's see your paper do that.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
So how did you guys lose the Tio brackets before? You do know it auto-saves every thirty seconds right? Let's see your paper do that.
Honestly I don't even know, I was playing a match when it happened. I suppose someone closed the program or something, but I'm not sure. I remembered every single match left anyways though, so it wasn't too important, but for results it sucked but Zoap solved that ;D.

Oh yeah Zoap I didn't actually see ur version of the rules. When u posted them on here they seemed pretty good to me, I just didn't see them at the tournament so I didn't mention anything heh.

Zoap

Smash Master
i was told they werent gonna be used so i handed over mlg rules and kept mine. Yea i redid the brackets(teams and singles) not items but yea i sent to neal dont know why they arent in tio database lol

Ian

Smash Ace

**EDIT** if you'll allow two cities w/ two players each to form togeather Hayword/Cupertino are joining togeather

HylianLord

Smash Ace
aww man, $8?!?!? mehT_T expensive. and since when was Tio hard to operate ><? the only hard part is entering in all the names... that usually takes a while. everything else works on its own... meh... i've ran TIO at a total of 3 tournies, if anyone needs help, count me as a last resort ^^.

oh yea... I CAN COMMEEE W000T.

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
Well im bringing my crew down to this NCB so we can play at this contest.We are six ppl and its Richmond/El Sobrante/Orinda city and if u live there then u know how insanley disorganized thos areas are and how close to eachother they r too.So anyways I want to challenge D.B.R. to a crew fight.(we'll probably lose but i dont care)We're gonna be there pretty early so maybe we can do it before the insane amount of ppl storm in that small room.Later

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
I asked this earlier but....... is there gonna be food?

EDIT: Nvm, I got a pm from whiteboyninja.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I personally don't think there would be any "technical difficulties" either, I think that it would take far too long to do considering that there are many more matches. Also we have not done this before, and I highly doubt that every participant has read or will read the rules, so I just think it would be easier at a smaller tournament where we will have more time.

For rules I think I'll just give my opinions on the rules proposed by you and anyone else who posts them, cuz I'm too lazy to copy, paste, and edit the MLG ruleset XDXD
I wasn't referring to Swiss regarding technical difficulties. Not sure I understand what you're saying in the first sentence.

Anyway, my proposed rule changes, stuff that's new is underlined in bold:

I would REALLY like to do best of 5 sets, but if we can't cause of time, that's OK.

First stage is random from: YS, FD, FoD, BF, DL64, PS, and DK64.

Each character gets one stage ban (can be any stage, not just non-neutral), and one random reset.

Why a random reset? To ensure the most fair first stage. Often in winning the first stage, you can win the set simply because you have a counterpick (if you're smart you have a really "cheap" counterpick in mind). A player should not coast to victory simply because the first stage heavily favored him, which can be the case even in "neutral" stages. So yes, potentially this can reduce the first stage to a random out of 2 or 3 stages, but I don't see a problem with that. 2 of them may become legal counters immediately after anyway.
A random reset must be announced before the announcer says "Go!" The random reset is not a ban, and does not prevent the opponent from counterpicking the reset stage later in the set.
If both people tried to reset and it's unclear who actually reset, then either player may reset the next random stage that come up, but neither may reset the stage after that. If the same stage comes up twice during the course of the resets, it is not played.
One might ask what the difference is in this rule as opposed to just banning a stage in the beginning from the random select. I like it this way because it allows you to take a chance on resetting a stage that you feel you have a slight disadvantage on, hoping the next stage isn't your most disadvantaged stage.

Legal counterpick stages: Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats, Corneria, Brinstar, Mute City. No Jungle Japes or Green Greens.

You may not counterpick a stage that you have won on (unless the opponent agrees to it). You may not counterpick the same non-neutral stage twice (this rule only would exist in best of 5 sets). This is not Dave's Stupid Rule. You may counterpick a neutral stage you have not won on regardless of whether or not it has been played before. So, if you countered with Battlefield and lost, or if you lost the very first random stage on Battlefield, you MAY legally pick it, but you may not counterpick, say, Mute City, if you lost on it on your counterpick (though if your opponent picked it and won on it, you could pick it).

Counterpicks are standard advanced slobs. I notice so many times people just immediately pick a character when it's their counterpick, and only then picking a stage, so don't be afraid to call people on that. Your character isn't set until they pick a stage and acknowledge your character counterpick. Take advantage of them showing you their hand if they don't go by the rules.

You can call for a double-blind once per set, and it may be before ANY match, but must be after the stage is chosen (except in the first match of the set, where it must be called before the stage is set [and before random resets]), and before either player has selected a character. I would only include this rule in best of 5 sets.

Yeah. So lemme know what you think.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Can you possibly give a non confusing definition of the random reset?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
After the random stage is chosen, but before the game actually starts, you must announce that you want to do a random reset (or just DO it, L+R+start, or L+R+A+start). This means that we reset back to the character select screen, and choose a new random stage. It must not be a stage that was reset. Each player may do this only once. I mentioned that one rule about both people resetting it because it has happened that a stage neither person liked came up, and both of them tried to reset it, and argued about who used up their reset.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know how to work tio very well too, as does Lunin ;D, but I personally trust handmade brackets much more (even if we can do the exact same thing on tio haha). I've just been doing it that way for years, so I guess I just prefer what I've used and what has worked out.

Honestly I've never done crews with 24 stock, wouldn't that mean that like 3 people would have 8 stock each? And 4 with 6 stock, 6 with 4 stock and 8 with 3 stock??? Haha iono I think I'm gonna go with what I said with the making of brackets; I would prefer what we usually do to avoid controversy and help with time constraints.
You don't trust my brackets? /cry

:)

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
For those of you who are really going to miss the Norcal bi-weeklies and don't mind making a slightly longer drive, I highly recommend going to this tournament

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95095

See that? AS MANY TVs as you want. Bring 50 cubes, there'll be 50 TVs. This is the venue I go to all the time and I'm telling you it's perfect for smash. I personally guarantee satisfaction. DSF is also expected to be in attendance. AIM me at ZivilynBane64 if you have any questions.

On a side note....there is a small chance I'll make the bi-weekly this weekend. If I do (and I really hope I do) then it will probably be the last time I come to norcal for awhile.

If you heard recently that I am supposed to be moving to Norcal, you heard right, however things didn't go as planned and I lost my opportunity. However when one opportunity goes away, another one always comes along and I have a really good chance to move out of state and get my life going again. That means getting debt paid off, getting out of my parents house, getting an education, and getting a car. Those things are too important for me to stay in California any longer.

If you know me, then you probably won't miss me ^_^ lol jk. I'll miss everybody in norcal. If MLG does an event or something then I'll be there. Or maybe around holidays since I'll be back to visit my parents.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Each character gets one stage ban (can be any stage, not just non-neutral), and one random reset.
bout the stage ban... only after first stage right =). Thats why we have the resets... and that way, we don't have to depend on knowing what the other player's character is.

I agree with all the other rules, and bout the reset.. for the slower reaction people... maybe the rule could be, if you reset before anyone takes damage, or yell it out before someone takes damage... but I really don't care, just a minor suggestion. All the other rules are very clear and detailed and we should follow it for now on.

is dk64 a mlg singles stage also?

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
When's the next biweekly? The title still says the 20th, and there's no way I'm going back 20 pages to find it :)

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
This SaturDay.......

LOLZWTF PRODIGY'S BDAY BIWEEKLY?!?!?!
Happy Birthday ProdigyKid

You better come to the biweekly this weekend and bring maple u noob haha.

Hyuga: Uh...I wasn't able to read ur post, I'll say what I think when I get home from school today ;D

Top Bottom