• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

SuperRad

Smash Master
UCSC?
My mom works there, so I'm trying to remember...
I do know that if you have a high GPA you can get lower test scores and high test scores can make up for a lower GPA.
You probably want to shoot for a 3.5 GPA if you can, and then with good test scores on top of that you will most likely get in.

you can check collegeboard.com and see how most people that go there did in GPA and tests too (I think.)

petoo0

Smash Ace
OHH EM GEE

Well since this thread has become a spam city for people's college application issues, I will clear them up so it can go back to being about Nor Cal Biweeklies.

1.) Just because you have a high Test Score does not mean you can have a low G.P.A. Okay so what you got a high SAT score...but your G.P.A shows that you slack off in school and you put your "potential" to no use. No college wants students who are smart but slack off and get bad grades. Makes the school look bad. So bottom line is your G.P.A. is very much as important as your SAT scores. Both are crucial.

2.) If you happen to have bad G.P.A or bad test scores..sure one or the other can make up for that, but there are other BETTER ways you can make up for that:
1.) Extra-Curricular Actives: Since all of you play smash you have a "creative" extra curricular activity. Especially those of you who have organized tournaments-you can say you provided a service to the community...some nice load of b.s. that way. All community service and things of that nature count towards that...so if you are applying to a good school you had better show you participated in you community as well as in your school through sports or A.S.B ****.
2.) Your Essays on the applications. These will show the acceptance board members wtf you are all about. You can either make them love you or hate you. So this I would say counts towards a good 40% of you chances of getting into anywhere.

Alright I'm tired of writing this. If there is anything else you can ask me...but please stop spamming that thread...I keep getting emails with people's okay so about my G.P.A....when it shoud be something like yea I own your face at smash XD.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
How bout transfer students? I took the chspe in highschool and went straight to a JC. I just finished my applications and I talk bout ssbm =), cuz ya know. UC's look for the unique ****... lawl jk jk jk. im screwed... I really did mention ssbm in the 2nd prompt though... **** I need sleep... stupid applications.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
not to discount you petoo, but if we're talking sjsu, you dont send in an essay. they dont want one LOL

so yeah if you're applying to a csu, you can kinda ignore petoo's post. if its a UC, then he's right on.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
actually guys, getting in to SJSU is a breeze if you have a good SAT. i got 1890 (just higher than you chok) and i got in with below a 3.0 GPA. my 1890 was in the top 5 percentile for sjsu students (most high SAT people go to more expensive schools) but my grades didnt really allow it. 2006 was a low applicant rate tho...so we'll see?

D's arnt good, but i literally failed my (not required, but suggested) spanish 3 class second simester of my senior year. sjsu is pretty lax. dont freak out if they dont send you a response for a LONG time though, because it took like half a year before i knew for sure i was in to sjsu...
i see, thanks for the info man

Mann

Smash Ace
How bout transfer students? I took the chspe in highschool and went straight to a JC. I just finished my applications and I talk bout ssbm =), cuz ya know. UC's look for the unique ****... lawl jk jk jk. im screwed... I really did mention ssbm in the 2nd prompt though... **** I need sleep... stupid applications.
If you're a transfer, you have to check your JC to see if they do transfers from yours to SJSU. If you are in like, West Valley (I go there), De Anza, San Jose City College, and even Mission College, you should be fine. And you have to check if you completed enough credits to do it.

Unless you plan on using your high school credits to help you get in. THat's something different which you have to talk to SJSU about. You're going to need a sealed + signed transcript from your high school.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
meh... its just i see my friends getting 2200's on SAT's and they're retaking it cause they didn't like their score lol... hmm... i'm not a very active student though... only things i have are like 100 hours of community service, robotics, badminton and some other random clubs...

um pete... say i have a 3.8 gpa and like a 2000 sat score... u think my chances for UCSD are good (assuming i have an average essay)?

Ian

Smash Ace
meh... its just i see my friends getting 2200's on SAT's and they're retaking it cause they didn't like their score lol... hmm... i'm not a very active student though... only things i have are like 100 hours of community service, robotics, badminton and some other random clubs...

um pete... say i have a 3.8 gpa and like a 2000 sat score... u think my chances for UCSD are good (assuming i have an average essay)?
my cousing is @ UCLA (he was accepted to SD as well) he had a 3.7 no Comunity service no clubs he played hockey but thats it and on SAT he got 2100 so maybe your chances are good...but his essay was amazing...thats the bad part ~_~;

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
If you're a transfer, you have to check your JC to see if they do transfers from yours to SJSU. If you are in like, West Valley (I go there), De Anza, San Jose City College, and even Mission College, you should be fine. And you have to check if you completed enough credits to do it.

Unless you plan on using your high school credits to help you get in. THat's something different which you have to talk to SJSU about. You're going to need a sealed + signed transcript from your high school.
I go to San Jose City, how far is that from west valley? Lets smash... Its funny cause I'm on smashboards and I'm not even done with my applications... and its 9pm... i have aprox 3 hours left.

Mann

Smash Ace
I go to San Jose City, how far is that from west valley? Lets smash... Its funny cause I'm on smashboards and I'm not even done with my applications... and its 9pm... i have aprox 3 hours left.
I live about 5 minutes away from San Jose City College, so that's about a mile or two. West Valley is about 4-5 miles away, if you want a general idea. Only go there because some of my friends go there.

As for the UCSD, you have a 3.8 GPA. And all thos extracurricular activities obviously will help you getting there too.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
When I was a kid the SATs only went up to 1600. What the hell happened?

Also, what's the link to the other thread that's happening next weekend? Not this weekend, but next weekend.

Ian

Smash Ace
I've found it!!! what all non-asian smashers need to have the upper edge!!!!

edit!! this is actually a REALLY intresting book you guys should read it

Zoap

Smash Master
u guys are nutssss :psycho: i waited till after my senior year to worry about college and i still got into a college in denver(it suxed big time though so i came back :chuckle: ) and i laughed to cuz they didnt care **** about my transcript or sat score(should known it would sux just by that) If u dont know wat u wanna do, go to community college! Trust me on this(lots cheaper more mulah for smash lol) But good luck to you guys if u want to go there.

This post was just cuz im just bored!! Also Scamp I thought about it some today, its 15 matches total per pool, so with enough stations wouldnt it technically be possible. Lets do some math lol.

so lets say we have 6 pools of 6 ppl a piece. So thats a total of 15 matches per pool max, and thats if you cant get two losers due to a tie. So 15 matches * 6 pools and we are only doing 2 matches per match, at an avg of 3:30 a match we are at 7 minutes per set per two players equaling out at 630 minutes or 10.5 hours. Lets also say we have 8 stations(very optimistic of course):

First Round of Pools Assuming you do just enough to get 8 ppl in or 4 rounds:
7 Minutes + 7 Minutes + 7 minutes + 7 Minutes + 7 minutes +7 Minutes +
P1 v P2 P1v P3 P1 v P4 P1 v P6 P1 v P5 P17 v P18
P3 v P4 P2v P5 P2 v P6 P2 v P3 P2 v P4 P19 v P24
P5 v P6 P4 v P6 P3 v P5 P4 v P5 P3 v P6 P20 v P23
P7 v P8 P7 v P9 P10 v P12 P7 v P12 P7 v P10 P21 v P22
P9 v p10 P8 v P12 P11 v P7 P8 v P10 P8 v P11 P25 v P30
p11 v P12 P10 v P11 P8 v P9 P9 v P11 P9 v P12 P26 v P29
P13 v P14 p13 v p15 P13 v P16 P13 v P17 P15 v P18 P27 v P28
P15 v P16 p 14 v p16 P14 v P15 P14 v P18 P16 v P17 P31 v P36

7 Minutes +7 Minutes +7Minutes +7 Minutes +7Minutes +7 Minutes +7Minutes +7Minutes
P17 v P14 P17 v P15 P19 v P21 P19 v P22 P31 v P33 P31 v P32 P32 v P33 P33v P34
P18 v P13 P18 v P16 P20 v P24 P20 v P21 P32 v P34 P33 v P36 P34 v P36
P19 v P23 P19 v P20 P22 v P23 P23 v P24 P35 v P36 P34 v P35
P20 v P22 P21 v P23 P25 v P28 P25 v P27 +7Minutes +25 = 2 hours and 20 minutes
P21 v P24 P22 v P24 P30 v P29 P26 v P30 P33v P35 per round of Pool
P25 v P29 P25 v P26 P27 v P26 P28 v P29
P26 v P28 P27 v P29 P31 v P35 P31 v P34
P27 v P30 P28 v P30 P32 v P36 P32 v P35

So after all this with 4 rounds of pools + 25 minutes of extra it would take 9 hrs and 20 minutes just to get into brackets Wit just 36 ppl. So i guess it isnt possible :(

There must be a better way :(

Stupid smashboards rapped all my pretty 7 minute round things :(

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
I have a final tomorrow (Saturday Dec 2) and I have a final on Saturday Dec 9 as well, so unless Mike hosts on Dec 9, we won't have a tourney for a while. Just so you all know. Hai!

Raves

Smash Apprentice
yea.. pete is gone T_T, ****... i wish i knew him earlier cuz he only lives like 5mins away... T_T. i luv u pete <3!

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh yay for sjsu....mmm Omnigamer'ed...haven't seen that ina long time...hahaha but then agen i haven't been on the boards for ages....XD lmao wenever i see that dude close a thread its just so funny and sad...Mmm mmm pete left for chicago eh? tooo bad i never got to play him...wats that guys? college apps? they suck....LOL who's mom goes to college? It's not a bad thing...but prodigy made it sound hella funny! ahahah okay im done...i want to smash but not really but yes but no....Yay for other games agen? GASP no... Oh my god im starting to sound like myko... yay i just finished a final at sjsu...i wonder how david is doing...same day and all...must be for some english class too..

Nekurbis86

Smash Journeyman
hiiiiiiiiiiiiii hiiiiiiiiiii HIhiHI vi hiIH i hiH h hi I H whazts up ppl>!>!>
= =p p=D++ =D +D+D+d=D=d=PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

make love to meE hHhh YEah mYkO OhH Sht mYKO GIvE iT TO mE AHhH YEshhhh RighT THEre!!!!!1 omFg Hell yeaH fk yEAH oHoOOoOoOoOhHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHt that was ogood

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Pete Chen NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now he gets to go back to his midwest roots.

And you okay there Yenyen? Its like you just went off on a random tangent.

The "Your mom goes to college" is from Napoleon Dynamite

Yay I leveled! ^.^

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
whew i just had a final this morning too. then smashed at bryant's on the way home! gotta love having 4 smash houses between school anbd home! =D

so yeah i sure hope we can still have some biweeklies like...next weekend. i think im finally almost worthy of tournament play! whoo hoo! go ice ninja nick!

Serendipity

Smash Journeyman
HAhaha every one should have pokemon in their sigs paired with a smart-*** remark... Nick lets smash at sjsu

Yenyen? hahaha

I hope every one except david and nick did good on their finals today! ahhahaha jk

Top Bottom