• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I just don't like the sd factor. Its one thing most fighting games don't have to deal with and is the reason I was questioning 3 stocks for brawl back in Feb 2008.

The less stocks are in the match, the more an sd counts against the player. And sds happen pretty often in both Melee and Brawl.

Not only sds, but bull**** mistakes, gimps, etc. We already hear enough players trying to blame losess on sds. Using these rules will actually make their johns legit.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
i dont agree with 2 stock rule but i also disagree with keit.

if you dont know how to control your character correctly after 3 years, eat a ****. no good players should be sd'ing by now, especially if your mk.

gimps are a different story though.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
"SDs hurt more" is such a terrible, ridiculous reason not to run two stocks. Who cares if people will john more and possibly get away with it?

Gimps being half a match also means that you only have to come back from a one stock deficit to win the game if you got gimped, or that you only have to take two of your opponent's stocks before they gimp you. Every argument about two stocks kind of goes both ways. ICs only need two grabs to win, but their opponents only need to get that kill on Nana twice to screw Popo over. Wario's fart can take half the game at 50%, but you only need to kill him twice. The only things that undoubtedly change for sure are Lucario losing the two stock deficit aura buff, and Pokemon Trainer not having to use Ivysaur.

I'd like to hear better arguments against the two stock ruleset, because right now I'm a very big fan of it.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
yea you kinda destroy a big part of a viable characters metagame by taking lucarios stock.

you definitely change the metagegame and tourney experience for alot of characters and people respectively but it isnt necessarily for the better.

dont think itll ever be the standard but i see it as a fast side event if its fun/successful

Max Ketchum

Changing those things isn't necessarily for the worse, either. I think it's at the very least worth a try as a main event of a tournament of respectable size. When I say I'm very for the idea, I mean that I'm very for testing it in an actual event so it actually gets some degree of legitimate exposure. It's too early to tell if it should be the new standard, but there's no way it's not at least worth a shot imo.

Max Ketchum

MK being banned isn't exactly a fad. It's kind of been going strong for a long time and has seen another large resurgence recently. I think the only reason it died down was because that last BBR poll ruled in favor of keeping him legal.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I would love to see a series that consistently runs 2 stock MK banned. I feel like a lot of people would make special effort to attend and very few people that normally attend would be so turned off by the idea that they wouldn't show.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I'm glad you're not an idiot Keitaro, that 2 stock thing is just garbage, just like using a 1.1 gravity or w/e was to change the weight of characters. Lucky for me no TOs here are radical nut jobs, mainly cause I have influence.

:017:

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I would love to see a series that consistently runs 2 stock MK banned. I feel like a lot of people would make special effort to attend and very few people that normally attend would be so turned off by the idea that they wouldn't show.
So you'd only have to land two grabs to win instead of three right :p

I'm glad you're not an idiot Keitaro, that 2 stock thing is just garbage, just like using a 1.1 gravity or w/e was to change the weight of characters. Lucky for me no TOs here are radical nut jobs, mainly cause I have influence.

I'm glad you're not an idiot Phil :D

:089:

Max Ketchum

Changing the physics of the game and changing the stock count are completely different...you are hardly changing the actual gameplay with two stocks, and the changes that do come aren't in the game's physics. Brawl with two stocks is still the same game as it is with three. Brawl with 1.1x damage ratio is not.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
It'll only make tournies run faster, plus the effects on lucario and whatever else happens to other characters. As far as making tournies run faster, that'd be awesome, because 10 hour events are very tiring.

Max Ketchum

It'll only make tournies run faster, plus the effects on lucario and whatever else happens to other characters. As far as making tournies run faster, that'd be awesome, because 10 hour events are very tiring.
Disappointing a few Lucario players is worth the faster tournaments. Also, quicker matches make playing and watching the game much more tolerable.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Disappointing a few Lucario players is worth the faster tournaments. Also, quicker matches make playing and watching the game much more tolerable.
I agree somewhat. But I won't be around for it, so whatever happens, happens?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
The price to use that venue has increased by $100+ so I don't think people wanna use it anymore. Yes got lucky the time he used it and they gave him a cheaper price than they were supposed to. If 60+ people go then its fine to use the venue, otherwise its a big risk.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
*dead*

The day you bea Cheese in the $30 mm?? I can never forget that day!! March 30th 2010!!
That fell on a tuesday -__-
And what a Tuesday it was!

Amazing reads

However Doom's rules seem a little odd. SDs are punished harder, and it have people time out more often. I think that double MK should be banned from doubles, and run the rest of the tournament the way it would normally run.

Max Ketchum

1. SDs are a terrible reason to dislike two stocks
2. Even if timeouts happen more, they're only five minutes long
3. It's not guaranteed that it'll be happening

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
its booked till the middle of november
The price to use that venue has increased by $100+ so I don't think people wanna use it anymore. Yes got lucky the time he used it and they gave him a cheaper price than they were supposed to. If 60+ people go then its fine to use the venue, otherwise its a big risk.
Thanks for the quick responses.

Max Ketchum

1. Your fault for SDIing forward (TL can't force the death, I believe) just like it would be with 3 stocks
2. You only have to kill him twice to win the match now

KageMurphy

Smash Master
2 stock 5 min is so bad. That makes Ice Climbers have to put in less work to win with their broken infinite(2 grabs vs 3), it screws Lucarios aura up and Wario loses waft time. Garbzzzzzzz. And lol, don't tell anyone that SDs are a bad reason to dislike it, you don't get to pick why people can dislike something.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
2 stock 5 min is so bad. That makes Ice Climbers have to put in less work to win with their broken infinite(2 grabs vs 3), it screws Lucarios aura up and Wario loses waft time. Garbzzzzzzz. And lol, don't tell anyone that SDs are a bad reason to dislike it, you don't get to pick why people can dislike something.

2 stock 5 min is so good. That makes other characters have to put in less effort to beat the Ice Climbers (2 separations vs 3), it screws Lucarios aura up if he's 2 stocks down in a 3 stock match (bawwwwww), and Wario needs less wafts to win. Amazinnnnnnng. And lol, SDs are a bad reason to call something unviable because it's people's own damn fault for being unable to control their own character.

Max Ketchum

It also makes the ICs opponents only need to gimp Nana twice to win. Lucario's aura is a legit change, but it goes the other way too--he'll never be so severely weak from being two stocks ahead, and he'll also only ever have to take one stock to be tied with the opponent. Wario still has plenty of time to charge the fart (hardly, he has 2.5 minutes per stock vs. 2.67), and one fart kill is a larger percent of the match taken away.

The game will be slightly different. That's all I'm seeing. Why is that such a terrible thing? Different is not always worse (nor is it always better). Plus, have you ever actually played it? Give it a shot instead of just saying "this is bad because it's different and I think it's bad." Orion and I played it for a while and it's surprisingly refreshing.

Edit: lol, Delta beat me to it basically. I should rephrase what I said about SDs being a bad reason to DISLIKE the format; more that they're a horrid argument against its use.

Top Bottom