• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Inui

Banned via Warnings
LOL, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't have gotten 2nd at Texas Showdown if everyone who went to the Rutgers weeklies went to that.

Size is not indicative of skill level. Those 64 man brackets at the two bigger Rutgers tournaments for melee were mad ez compared to smaller tournaments like SPOCs, Smashacres, and Tunes Biweeklies. Hell, even at CoTII I had a more difficult time. You beating a bunch of scrubs and then a FEW players who have absolutely no reputation in smash means literally nothing.
Justin Wong, RaphStryker, PozerWolf, Wizma, T-Rex, and Mr. 3000 are all just as good, if not better than the Rutgers players and everyone in Montage sans Brandon himself.

"40 people attened. Did pools(4 pools of 10).Top 5 advance.

Results of bracket:

1: T-Rex (snake/wario)
2: Mr.3000 (sonic/dedede)

3: Shane (metanight)
4: Sethlon (falco/ike)
5: Hylian (samus/g&w)
5: Dr Drew (lucas)
7: Kira (metanight/wolf)
7: Gea (peach/pikachu)
9: G@be (kirby/pkmn trainer)
9: Cesar (wind waker link)
9: Apoc (metanight)
9: Xyro (samus)
13: Furbs (yoshi......lol)
13: JF (?)
13: PimpSlap(?)
13: Fliphop (?)
17: Viraxis (wolf)
17: Axxo (rob)
17: Rocket Trainer (lucario)
17: Final (falco)"

Who cares if they weren't top in Melee? They're obviously top in Brawl, and I beat T-Rex and barely lost to Mr. 3000.

Justin Wong, 5th at Showdown in Brawl, got 2nd at Final Round and is a legendary fighting game player. If you don't know who he is, you're playing the wrong genre of games.

RaphStryker is a MetaKnight player that won SRK's online tournament. That doesn't mean a whole lot since it's online, but it means he's better than the vast majority of players.

Wizma is a beastly Mario player that has a smart and campy style. You'd all have tons of trouble beating him.

PozerWolf was my partner and he was good enough to get us second place, where we barely lost to the winning team. I beat him in singles barely. He's a very good Snake player and a good Guilty Gear player.

That about covers the top placers at Showdown.

You guys haven't traveled yet for this game, so you don't know who's good outside of our area and what's posted everywhere on the boards. Those players were really good, and Sonic can win. Mr. 3000 would be able to beat anyone in NJ in tourny. Not saying he's way better, but he's capable of beating anyone here.

Pretending you know the skill levels of people you've never played is absolutely absurd. Just another reason I don't like this community.

I'm tons more proud of my Showdown placement than my 2nd place at a Rutgers weekly.

Is Justin Wong even good at smash? just wondering
Yup. He's Justin Wong. His Diddy and ROB are exceptional. He only lost to Mike G at Final Round, and we all know how good Mike G was at Melee.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I am thoroughly enjoying the fact that my crewmates are wrecking Inui's **** right now.

Plz continue.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Who cares if they weren't top in Melee? They're obviously top in Brawl, and I beat T-Rex and barely lost to Mr. 3000.
See the thing is, they AREN'T obviously top in Brawl if people like Mew2King, Azen, etc. didn't go. How they placed at one tournament does not automatically make them the best in brawl. Also, if Snake ***** Pit up the *** the way you say he does and you beat T-Rex he is not some godly amazing player.

Justin Wong, 5th at Showdown in Brawl, got 2nd at Final Round and is a legendary fighting game player. If you don't know who he is, you're playing the wrong genre of games.
Response:
Eazy said:
Caveman and other players from that area did not enter the tourny, so you beat a bunch of people who are just picking up smash. Thats like Jordan bragging about beating Barrack O Bama on the courts. I mean yea its a big name but seriously dude....seriously
Sadaharu Inui said:
RaphStryker is a MetaKnight player that won SRK's online tournament. That doesn't mean a whole lot since it's online, but it means he's better than the vast majority of players.
No, it DOESN'T mean that he's better than the vast majority of players. SRK is not smashboards. Being better in Brawl then people who mainly play traditional fighting games and were trying to say things like "Fox is only mid tier in melee with items turned on" means NOTHING.

Sadaharu Inui said:
]PozerWolf was my partner and he was good enough to get us second place, where we barely lost to the winning team. I beat him in singles barely. He's a very good Snake player and a good Guilty Gear player.
Guilty Gear skill is irrelevant as we are NOT talking about Guilty Gear. Once again, if you beat a Snake player and Snake ***** Pit up the ***, then obviously he can't be "ZOMG AMAZING."

Sadaharu Inui said:
You guys haven't traveled yet for this game, so you don't know who's good outside of our area and what's posted everywhere on the boards. Those players were really good, and Sonic can win. Mr. 3000 would be able to beat anyone in NJ in tourny. Not saying he's way better, but he's capable of beating anyone here.
You still don't seem to be getting the obvious point, which is that this tournament did not have people like Azen, Mew2King, Chillin, Chu, etc. If they HAD been there, the results would not be what they were.

Sadaharu Inui said:
Pretending you know the skill levels of people you've never played is absolutely absurd. Just another reason I don't like this community.
This coming from the person who said Kirk was a noob and said prior to playing tec0's Fox for the first time in tournament that he had "some scrub Fox" next. And we're not just basing it off of how good other people are, YOU were there and got 2nd. That by itself is an indication of the skill level of other players, similar to how Rigel getting 3rd at that one tournament was indicative of other people's skill levels who went to that.

You need to tone down everything you say. You can't just call people who placed top "the best in Brawl" because of one tournament. Skler got 9th at Pound 3 but he lost to Oorah in pools at it and Scar in a set 2-0. Now I'm sure he's good, but I wouldn't call him a top melee player, just as I don't think you should call the top placers at showdown top brawl players. When I think of top melee players, I think of people like Mew2King, KoreanDJ, Azen, Chu, etc. To call these people top brawl players is putting them on the same level in Brawl that those people are at in melee when we don't know if they are.

Sadaharu Inui said:
Yup. He's Justin Wong. His Diddy and ROB are exceptional. He only lost to Mike G at Final Round, and we all know how good Mike G was at Melee.
Here's something else you've said about Justin Wong's smash skills "He airdodges predictably so I just punish it." And see, once people who are known for their smash skills are at a tournament, he didn't win. Also, you didn't mention anyone he beat. For all we know, it was just a scrubfest + him and Mike G.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
See the thing is, they AREN'T obviously top in Brawl if people like Mew2King, Azen, etc. didn't go. How they placed at one tournament does not automatically make them the best in brawl. Also, if Snake ***** Pit up the *** the way you say he does and you beat T-Rex he is not some godly amazing player.
They're aren't any ways to say they're definitely not. They're dominating their state. When I asked them about Caveman and the others, I heard that they weren't as good as them in Brawl.

Marth and camping like crazy with Pit and barely winning is how.

No, it DOESN'T mean that he's better than the vast majority of players. SRK is not smashboards. Being better in Brawl then people who mainly play traditional fighting games and were trying to say things like "Fox is only mid tier in melee with items turned on" means NOTHING.
He was way better than almost everyone at Showdown. Thus, better than the majority of players.

Guilty Gear skill is irrelevant as we are NOT talking about Guilty Gear. Once again, if you beat a Snake player and Snake ***** Pit up the ***, then obviously he can't be "ZOMG AMAZING."
Marth and camping like crazy with Pit and barely winning.

You still don't seem to be getting the obvious point, which is that this tournament did not have people like Azen, Mew2King, Chillin, Chu, etc. If they HAD been there, the results would not be what they were.
Do you have proof of that? No. I don't have proof of the other way around, either.

The only thing I have is that you guys have no idea how good T-Rex and Mr. 3000 are at all, and you're being fools trying to judge their skill levels when you've never played them or even seen them play at all. They're obviously dominant players in their state since they win everything.

Here's something else you've said about Justin Wong's smash skills "He airdodges predictably so I just punish it." And see, once people who are known for their smash skills are at a tournament, he didn't win.
Everyone airdodges predictably, so okay?

Justin Wong beat the second best player in GA at Final Round, and he's an accomplished Melee player. He also barely lost to Mike G, who was top tier.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
We should change this thread to the NJ DICKFACE finder.

Everyone needs to be a tad nicer to each other, jesus christ.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ya even when i ***** at brawl at chus like it's fun to be good but there's no way this game could ever be compared with the infinite more skill and depth present in melee. High level brawl play isn't nearly as high reaching as melee has potential for, and we haven't even begun to see the potential melee had as the game ended too fast ='(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
6 years is too fast? Wtf? Is it supposed to last a lifetime?

I'll admit that so far it seems like Melee is definitely deeper and more exciting. I'm just having too much fun with Brawl right now.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
They're aren't any ways to say they're definitely not. They're dominating their state. When I asked them about Caveman and the others, I heard that they weren't as good as them in Brawl.

Marth and camping like crazy with Pit and barely winning is how.

He was way better than almost everyone at Showdown. Thus, better than the majority of players.

Marth and camping like crazy with Pit and barely winning.

Do you have proof of that? No. I don't have proof of the other way around, either.

The only thing I have is that you guys have no idea how good T-Rex and Mr. 3000 are at all, and you're being fools trying to judge their skill levels when you've never played them or even seen them play at all. They're obviously dominant players in their state since they win everything.

Everyone airdodges predictably, so okay?

Justin Wong beat the second best player in GA at Final Round, and he's an accomplished Melee player. He also barely lost to Mike G, who was top tier.
Alright, we need to stop assuming the goodness of other players. That's not helping arguements at all.

To tell you the truth Inui, all I'm really going by is the fact that you place "insert RU placing here" over in NJ and you placed 2nd at Showdown.

Since the last time you played, your matchup against Falco kinda sucks so if Eazy went and played you he woulda got 2nd ahead of you and Falco does not lose to Sonic. All you have to do is the Keitaro "jab jab jab" and Sonic can't do ****.

In the end, it's also pretty impossible to assume a whole batch of completely new guys are better than the original Melee dominators in their state. People can easily say Sensei's not that good in Brawl as they place top 5 in NJ tournies but we would just be hating cause Sensei didn't come to a tourney to prove himself yet. Just like Caveman he prolly doesn't give a **** at the moment.

Place 2nd @ today's RU tourney and I'll bow down to you. DM isn't coming so that should make it easier for you but to tell you the truth I highly doubt you'd be able to but if you do I'd be exceptionally surprised.

BUM163

Smash Lord
lol i just read m2k post. dude i love melee like ya, but you strip the game naked. i'm pretty sure u put ur focus on brawl u will strip this game also. there r new glitches n such every week and itz goin faster cuz we're all advance in the smash world. melee if not 100 percent completed was like 95.

i would like 2 announce ny weeklys that happen every friday and if u wanna come and don't know directions, pm me or message me on aim/oni163.

i can name like 80 people who didn't like melee cuz it was to cheap wit phatom hits. then eventually u grow to it. my advice is just get 2 learn brawl, i'm pretty sure there will be crazy stuff in there also and i'm not sayin drop melee cuz thatz still a great game also.

plus i wanna do like a nj and ny combine weekly or tournament one day for brawl. i need to talk 2 whoeva is hostin brawl tournaments. contact me as soon as possible, i don't care whether we do it over there or over here. i think it would b great n show the community can work 2gether.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Marcel is gay

6 years is too fast? Wtf? Is it supposed to last a lifetime?
Maybe it started 6 years ago, but not everyone who played Melee started playing it back then. I come up with new stuff(read: strategies) I haven't seen anyone do in Melee before all the time. In terms of strats, the game still room to grow.

Inui said:
Were the majority of players at Showdown? Nope, there were 40 people consisting mainly of people who play traditional fighting games.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I kinda agree with DM and BUM, we need to stop the petty arguing. I believe I said it before, there are egos getting in the way, here. Bragging about being the best in Brawl right now, is like bragging about being the best in some game you just made up. It's kinda early, and there's no guarantee it'll stay the same. I don't care if Rutgers holds some of the best players, or if there are people ****** their own states. Who gives a crap? Matchups and results. I think the Skler example proved that best.

and i quote spam:
Skler got 9th at Pound 3 but he lost to Oorah in pools at it and Scar in a set 2-0. Now I'm sure he's good, but I wouldn't call him a top melee player, just as I don't think you should call the top placers at showdown top brawl players.

I'm not taking inui's side, or the other side in this. I'm just saying that this conversation is going nowhere at the speed of noobs playing smash 64 in a luigi ditto. We JUST had this friggin' conversation when it came to the Melee rankings. RESULTS!!!!! Just go by that for now. There's plenty of time to debate who the best of the best is.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Keitaro: Take me to the weekly today.

I'll give you gas money.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nope. He can't Keitaro is being a ***** right now and blowing off all his friends so he can worship his girl 24/7 like always.

>_>

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I already got 2nd place at a Rutgers weekly even with Brandon and basically all of Montage there. Why would you be surprised? I lost only to Kashif. If I don't play like trash, the same thing can and will happen again.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Nope. He can't Keitaro is being a ***** right now and blowing off all his friends so he can worship his girl 24/7 like always.

>_>
I suck at hearing things last minute. I live like 2 mins away from RU anyway so picking you up would be waaayyyy outta the way for me :( Plus I just met up with my girl. You know how hard it is to tell her I'm going to a tournament instead of chillin with her?! It breaks my heart everytime I do so :urg:

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I suck at hearing things last minute. I live like 2 mins away from RU anyway so picking you up would be waaayyyy outta the way for me :( Plus I just met up with my girl. You know how hard it is to tell her I'm going to a tournament instead of chillin with her?! It breaks my heart everytime I do so :urg:
Here's an idea Keitaro: TELL HER YOU'RE BUSY ON EVERY FRIDAY! Geez man, you bailed on us yesterday after promising you'd make yourself free on Thursday. Just tell her when you're going to be busy and spend time with your actual free time.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you call me when there's tournaments, you know I'm too lazy to check.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if someone could tell me whether there exists an RF adapter for the wii (and where i can buy it in a store) in the next 2 hours that would be great

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Which rutgers are you guys getting own at? New Brunswick or Newark?

I wanna connect with some of you NJ cats and get down. I go to school at Seton Hall, but live in Bloomfield,NJ.

I'm definitely going to BUM's weeklies in NY soon, but anything similar popular off in NJ?

Thanks for the help

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Which rutgers are you guys getting own at? New Brunswick or Newark?

I wanna connect with some of you NJ cats and get down. I go to school at Seton Hall, but live in Bloomfield,NJ.

I'm definitely going to BUM's weeklies in NY soon, but anything similar popular off in NJ?

Thanks for the help
We're in New Brunswick. And it's getting to be a pretty decent size of people too. Last weekly had 22 players.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
God I have to practice for brawl :(.

This is going to be hard :(

:laugh:

Reading Spam's essay on how he feels about high level brawl was funny :laugh:

*Continues to not watch Higurashi*

Scar

#HarveyDent
Skler got 9th at Pound 3 but he lost to Oorah in pools at it and Scar in a set 2-0. Now I'm sure he's good, but I wouldn't call him a top melee player, just as I don't think you should call the top placers at showdown top brawl players.
wtf? Since when does losing to me in a blatant **** counter matchup disqualify you from being considered a top player? I will **** whoever you want me to, dude. Also Oorah was literally consumed by flame at Pound 3. This quote makes no sense, Skler is amazing, and comparing any sort of Melee results with Brawl results is just trash.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Tec0, you really don't have to practice for brawl, I've been at the same skill level since day 1 and I still got some of the best players in their regions to last stocks every match i've had with them (azen / dm brandon), not to mention I was top 8 in the world (gamestop tourney LMAO). Also azen said I was his hardest match in the tourney, I didn't ask dm brandon that, but I'm sure I was up there in that one as well. Btw, m2k's DDD is by far the hardest player/character combination i've faced in brawl thus far by a high margin. I feel like I have a better chance vs his melee marth. >.>

Top Bottom