• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Doomguy would be a pretty cool FPS rep.

Only, you know, his series is completely anti-Nintendo.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Both are ridiculous, but one is slightly less ridiculous. Shantaa has more than one game, has been around for years, and has titles that are actually Nintendo exclusives. There's a better chance that she sticks around the gaming world then Shovel Knight, at the moment.

It's like... okay. I've never played a day of organized sports in my life. My friend played foot ball in high school and was a walk on in a community college team but couldn't last a season.

It would be RIDICULOUS for either of us to play a snap or professional foot ball. We would be extremely out of place and lost, and really REALLY out of our element. It's just that it would be slightly less preposterous for him.
For the record, while I would be much more okay with Shantae than Shovel Knight, I really don't support either in Smash.

The points you make aren't wrong, but you're leaving a lot out. Shantae has three games + one more coming while Shovel Knight has one. Shantae is more than a decade older. Shantae was Nintendo-exclusive for a long time, Shovel Knight was always multi-platform. Shantae has much more history with Nintendo than Shovel Knight. I don't think it's Shantae's time to join Smash, but Shovel Knight is far, far behind.
At the same time, despite having seniority and more games to her series' name, Shantae is still on Shovel Knight's level of popularity. In one year, Shovel Knight has garnered a fanbase on par with a character who's been around since 2002.

I don't see how Shantae has a better chance of "sticking around", when it's pretty blatant that Shovel Knight's chances of actually expanding into a bigger series is infinitely higher than Shantae's. If you're still a niche indy series that relies on Kickstarter for funding after 13 years, you're probably never going to become anything.

The "Nintendo exclusivity" comment is completely irrelevant, as there's zero evidence that a third party character who's exclusive to Nintendo platforms takes priority over multi-console ones. In fact, on the contrary, every single third party character to date has been multi-platform. One of whom (Snake) is more frequently associated with a rival system than they are with Nintendo.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
If the Shovel knight leak is legit, then why is he, a very young indie character, who hasn't released in Japan, getting in before Wolf, a series veteran, who is highly requested, a Nintendo All-Star, and starred in a bunch of games over the last 15 years?
I'm personally not a big fan of 3rd parties in smash, as I feel it sucks away what the game is about, a battle between Nintendo All Stars, but don't get me wrong, :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: are good editions and are gaming icons, same goes for :4ryu:, but I'm not too crazy about him. I feel Shovel Knight just wouldn't fit in with the rest, heck if it wasn't for freaking Smashified*Insert Weegee Death Stare* I doubt he would have as much support as he does now.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Aquaman is underrated. Although it's fun to make jokes about him. As mean as that sounds lol.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
If the Shovel knight leak is legit, then why is he, a very young indie character, who hasn't released in Japan, getting in before Wolf, a series veteran, who is highly requested, a Nintendo All-Star, and starred in a bunch of games over the last 15 years?
DLC is limited, and they probably don't want to use all that time and resources on just re-adding cut characters rather than introducing new faces to the series.

3/4 of the current crop of DLC are veterans. I'd much, much rather have Wolf back than Shovel Knight, but I think a newcomer is definitely due.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As much as I understand people miss Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers (who are easily the most ''viable" left over vets) I'd rather all DLC from this point be about adding new faces to the franchise.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
@ backlot backlot @ Luigi The President Luigi The President

Neither of you has a right to be rude. Chill out and keep the argument civil or drop it altogether.
It's cool, I'll be civil. Can I just express my disappointment that you're preaching that everyone should default to assuming people are being polite while treating me like I was being aggressive from my first post? I don't think its a very good policy and I don't think it's being evenly applied.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
DLC is limited, and they probably don't want to use all that time and resources on just re-adding cut characters rather than introducing new faces to the series.

3/4 of the current crop of DLC are veterans. I'd much, much rather have Wolf back than Shovel Knight, but I think a newcomer is definitely due.
They can add Wolf AND a newcomer, but why not a Nintendo newcomer then?
I'd rather have these guys than Shovel Knight.

Hey at least they're first party.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I just want to know what's happening with DLC.
The way I see it, they have either been working on something that will be before the Ballot and the last of the pre-ballot content.
Or they have been working on Ballot characters.
Or maybe they are taking a break. Because Sakurai is long over due a break.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
As much as I understand people miss Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers (who are easily the most ''viable" left over vets) I'd rather all DLC from this point be about adding new faces to the franchise.
Actually, Ice Climbers are without a doubt the least viable leftover vets. We've been told outright that they don't work.

They can add Wolf AND a newcomer, but why not a Nintendo newcomer then?
I'd rather have these guys than Shovel Knight.
We don't know how many characters are left; there's at least two, and for all we know, they could both be newcomers (in fact, it would make perfect sense. We have three veterans already and one newcomer. Two newcomers would make for three of each).

As for those characters....they're probably not being picked because nobody is asking for them.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
At the same time, despite having seniority and more games to her series' name, Shantae is still on Shovel Knight's level of popularity. In one year, Shovel Knight has garnered a fanbase on par with a character who's been around since 2002.

I don't see how Shantae has a better chance of "sticking around", when it's pretty blatant that Shovel Knight's chances of actually expanding into a bigger series is infinitely higher than Shantae's. If you're still a niche indy series that relies on Kickstarter for funding after 13 years, you're probably never going to become anything.

The "Nintendo exclusivity" comment is completely irrelevant, as there's zero evidence that a third party character who's exclusive to Nintendo platforms takes priority over multi-console ones. In fact, on the contrary, every single third party character to date has been multi-platform. One of whom (Snake) is more frequently associated with a rival system than they are with Nintendo.
That's kind of the nature of being an Indie game.

For what it's worth, Shovel Knight's Kickstater = $311,502, Shantae's Kickstarter = $776,084.

Also, if anyone was wondering if this would lower the bar for third party characters, I just compared two using Kickstarter numbers. Hooray!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
When I spoke of Ice Climbers I spoke of actually being relevant as a retro rep.

Where as Young Link, Pichu, etc have percieved factors of ''relevancy" against them. Especially Young Link whose ''Child Link" role is pretty much taken by Toon Link who is actually a marketing and merchandise giant for Nintendo.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Actually, Ice Climbers are without a doubt the least viable leftover vets. We've been told outright that they don't work.

Probably because nobody is asking for them.
Yeah, though it shouldn't be that hard to add them into Super Mario Maker and make an Amiibo for them, you know just to keep them relevant until the next Smash. Also Snake has issues with THAT company.:glare:
Hey guys do want to see butt butt in

Is that from fossil fighter
YES!

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
That's kind of the nature of being an Indie game.

For what it's worth, Shovel Knight's Kickstater = $311,502, Shantae's Kickstarter = $776,084.

Also, if anyone was wondering if this would lower the bar for third party characters, I just compared two using Kickstarter numbers. Hooray!
Shovel Knight was an unproven game at that point; people didn't know if it would be good or not. Shantae, as you mentioned, already had a game. Granted, it was one not a lot of people played prior, but it was easily obtainable via emulation.

Typically the most successful video game based Kickstarters are revivals and spiritual successors to games people are familiar with. This isn't really a fair comparison.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'm expecting the next reveal to be a newcomer, but I still think Wolf is coming. It just wouldn't make sense to add Roy and Lucas but not Wolf. Especially Roy.

But I expect the next reveal to be a newcomer because if the next reveal is a veteran then 4/5 DLC fighters will be veterans and the 1 newcomer a third party. I don't think that idea would sit right with Sakurai considering his previously-stated stance on DLC and him not wanting people to feel like content was cut to be sold separately.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Shovel Knight's got DLC, appearances in other games, etc.

He's definitely THE indie and could easily verge out of indie area if he keeps up this trajectory he's on now.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shovel Knight was an unproven game at that point; people didn't know if it would be good or not. Shantae, as you mentioned, already had a game. Granted, it was one not a lot of people played prior, but it was easily obtainable via emulation.

Typically the most successful video game based Kickstarters are revivals and spiritual successors to games people are familiar with. This isn't really a fair comparison.
Shovel Knight was a SUPER hyped Kick Starter, it got a lot of main stream coverage. On top of that, a big selling point of the game was that Yacht Club Games was comprised of ex-Wayforward employees. Shantae was actually used as justification for their competence.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Thanks, anyway here's the list of everyone there and their games:

Shantae will be there, that's neat, wonder what her first home console game will be like. Also on Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, do the devs really need that many names? Or is just a case that 3 companies own the series?

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Here's the final version:

Did I perfect it?
Black Mage over Cloud was a good move, as was getting rid of Monster Hunter and Master Chief.

Frogger is....ehhhhhh. I can see the logic behind it, but the majority of his games following the original were embarrassments. I'm not sure he'd be worth it.

Ideally, I'd rather have Snake back than Layton or Frogger.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Black Mage over Cloud was a good move, as was getting rid of Monster Hunter and Master Chief.

Frogger is....ehhhhhh. I can see the logic behind it, but the majority of his games following the original were embarrassments. I'm not sure he'd be worth it.

Ideally, I'd rather have Snake back than Layton or Frogger.
Pac-Man was like this too wasn't, it's only noticeable games were Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man really, the rest of his games didn't really do justice for Pac-Man.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Has Tamaki commented on the stream yet?

You know he's either ****ting his pants in fear or getting ready to gloat.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Has Tamaki commented on the stream yet?

You know he's either ****ting his pants in fear or getting ready to gloat.
What stream?
EDIT: I feel like an idiot. I thought you were talking about current stream going on right now, not the one I mentioned XD. *facepalm*

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I'm expecting the next reveal to be a newcomer, but I still think Wolf is coming. It just wouldn't make sense to add Roy and Lucas but not Wolf. Especially Roy.

But I expect the next reveal to be a newcomer because if the next reveal is a veteran then 4/5 DLC fighters will be veterans and the 1 newcomer a third party. I don't think that idea would sit right with Sakurai considering his previously-stated stance on DLC and him not wanting people to feel like content was cut to be sold separately.
i want this to be an even numbered roster, so if anything we would have 60 characters. wolf should be brought back and then we have the rest as newcomers. 1 veteran, 4 newcomers. sounds like a good deal to me.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Shovel Knight was a SUPER hyped Kick Starter, it got a lot of main stream coverage. On top of that, a big selling point of the game was that Yacht Club Games was comprised of ex-Wayforward employees. Shantae was actually used as justification for their competence.
It doesn't matter. Sequels and spiritual successors are more often than not the most successful video game Kickstarters. A bit of advertising doesn't have the same impact as a good decade on the market.

I'm not even sure why this is even a factor. Their popularity is pretty on par with eachother. Even in regards to Smash.

Actually, it does make sense.

As stated numerous times in the past, the wording used in the New Content stream suggests that Lucas and Roy were chosen from the pool of Brawl and Melee cuts respectively. Roy wasn't picked over Wolf; Lucas was.

Before anyone mentions Mewtwo, he was the most requested character for SSB4 of any kind, veteran or newcomer. Bit of a different case.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
idk about you guys but the idea of shovel knight in smash has grown on me.I still much pefer shantae or quote but yeah i could dig it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom