• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
That's kind of the nature of being an Indie game.

For what it's worth, Shovel Knight's Kickstater = $311,502, Shantae's Kickstarter = $776,084.

Also, if anyone was wondering if this would lower the bar for third party characters, I just compared two using Kickstarter numbers. Hooray!
That doesn't really mean much to me. Shovel Knight's kickstarter brought in less money, but it also asked for much less (75k to Shantae's 400k) and reached all of it's stretch goals. In other words, all of Shovel Knight's stretch goals were reached with less money than Wayforward was asking for with their initial funding.

Plus, it was the game that got people to look at VG kickstarters.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
i want this to be an even numbered roster, so if anything we would have 60 characters. wolf should be brought back and then we have the rest as newcomers. 1 veteran, 4 newcomers. sounds like a good deal to me.
Why not 64 instead though? That number is even, and it is also a number really important to Nintendo

I just know someone is going to read to much into this, so just so you know this only a suggestion and not entirely serious

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's cool, I'll be civil. Can I just express my disappointment that you're preaching that everyone should default to assuming people are being polite while treating me like I was being aggressive from my first post? I don't think its a very good policy and I don't think it's being evenly applied.
You can respond to my actions as such, but in the future, as per the rules in the OP, do so via PM, not within the thread.

I didn't preach, only suggest, and I said default to being polite, not assuming the other person is being polite (though rereading my wording at the end of the post, I realize how that could be confusing). Even if somebody's blatantly flaming you, being polite back tends to go a lot better, both in not escalating things and in not getting infracted.

Also, I didn't think you were being aggressive nor do I think I responded to you that way. I said not to be "passive aggressive/sarcastic/etc." if somebody was being passive aggressive to you. I primarily meant "sarcastic," but it was meant to be an umbrella thing relevant to any situation. I was mostly looking at the "Sorry I didn't address your straw man argument correctly" in the post before the first post by you that I replied to.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
oh god

Remember how Xander said Nintendo gives him a random list of character names to say?

... What if this whole rumor started because someone overheard Shovel Knight?
Several alleged sources in retail heard Xander say "Shovel Knight"?

I dunno.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Several alleged sources in retail heard Xander say "Shovel Knight"?

I dunno.
We don't know what kind of crew Xander hangs with.

There's a chance he had Wal-Mart and Target managers chilling with him in the recording booth the whole time.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It wasn't so long ago I was being told I wasted my vote for Shovel Knight amongst this very group. Now look where we are.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
You know, someone should ask Yacht Club Games if there will be at least an "announcement" at the event to make sure it is at least "hype worthy". Anyone want to volunteer as tribute?

Starlight_Lily

Xander is great but I hope people don't harass him over this (they will :facepalm:)
God I hate to wonder how the Smash community would pester Charles Martinet if he had a twitter account....

Unless he does, then ignore this.

I can just a lot of people asking him, why isn't Waluigi playable, convince Sakurai to make Waluigi playable from people at 5 times a day.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So... what happened? Did a thing come up where Shovel Knight might be announced, and the fallout is 3rd party/Indie discussions? I don't have the time atm to look through 20 pages

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What's up my Lawyered bro?
Give her the rundown about Tamaki @ epicmartin7 epicmartin7

Neo's been THE person we turn to with these sorts of things. @vaanrose and @ PushDustIn PushDustIn too.

If we REALLY want to hear about this guy's sources and their legitimacy, we better hand this whole thing over the professionals.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Give her the rundown about Tamaki @ epicmartin7 epicmartin7

Neo's been THE person we turn to with these sorts of things. @vaanrose and @ PushDustIn PushDustIn too.

If we REALLY want to hear about this guy's sources and their legitimacy, we better hand this whole thing over the professionals.
Want me to PM him?
EDIT: I would rather just wait until Tamaki at least responds. Then I'll contact Neo Zero after he does.

I need some context/ an update.
What's happening/happened with this?
Tamaki's asleep right now, so we'll have to wait for a couple of hours. Afterwards @ PushDustIn PushDustIn will Skype call him, not me.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I don't want to sound like I'm in denial, but I have a theory.

First off, if Tamakis sources are correct then Shovel Knight is in the game. I personally think it's 30%-40% likely, but it's possible.

From my understanding he knows the amiibo is incoming. No development information.

What if it's a Shovel Knight amiibo that unlocks a costume, trophy or a stage? Would still be a Megaton, and something people aren't expecting. About 10%-20% likely.

Unless of course my theory of 1 Western and 1 Eastern character is true, I can't see them adding such a niche character. It could be tied to Yacht Club finding a Japanese publisher too. Nintendo could be publishing Shovel Knight in Japan. There's a lot of ways to entry here, even if a lot of the normal conventional doors are closed.

Again, I've been wrong about things in the past so anything is possible.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

So he does have one, also I remembered the Mario fanbase is actually one of Nintendo's more civil fanbases, funnily enough when it is probably either the *1st or 2nd biggest fanbase. So they probably don't bug him as much as other fandoms do with other people.

*Please note it is actually really hard to gauge if Pokemon or Mario has the higher fanbase, since they are both pretty big franchises.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't want to sound like I'm in denial, but I have a theory.

First off, if Tamakis sources are correct then Shovel Knight is in the game. I personally think it's 30%-40% likely, but it's possible.

From my understanding he knows the amiibo is incoming. No development information.

What if it's a Shovel Knight amiibo that unlocks a costume, trophy or a stage? Would still be a Megaton, and something people aren't expecting. About 10%-20% likely.

Unless of course my theory of 1 Western and 1 Eastern character is true, I can't see them adding such a niche character. It could be tied to Yacht Club finding a Japanese publisher too. Nintendo could be publishing Shovel Knight in Japan. There's a lot of ways to entry here, even if a lot of the normal conventional doors are closed.

Again, I've been wrong about things in the past so anything is possible.
So then that begs the question: If Shovel Knight represents the West, who will represent the East?

Starlight_Lily

Decided to check the comments on the GameXplain video.

View attachment 70314

Well he's not wrong.
I wouldn't really say a timeline that has multiple instances of time travel abuse, multiple different dimensions, parellel universes, curses that spane generations, bloodlines of important royal families that protect important artifacts and reincarnations of ancient goddesses is all that confusing, I mean 3 splits in a timeline to explains everything quite clearly to average gamer, right? :troll:

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I just realized something. If this is real, then Shovel Knight will be the first character in Smash made in North America.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So then that begs the question: If Shovel Knight represents the West, who will represent the East?
Arle Nadja, Takamaru (yes the AT), Ray from Custom Robo, Bandana Dee/ Magolor, Ayumi Tachibani.

Out of those Bandana Dee is the most requested according to the data I have.

Or they could go with a character that's polled well in both regions and still call it the East choice. King K Rool, etc.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Who's Tamaki?
This guy (https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes) who is saying that Shovel Knight is going to be in Smash Bros.
EDIT: :4greninja:'d
EDIT2: He claims to have sources behind him. That's why PushDustIn is going to Skype with him.
As a side note, I'd like to thank you guys for getting me out of holes several times. Really means much that my mistakes aren't hitting me in the face.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom