• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And I have no idea how you extrapolated that question from anything that's been said so far. Shovel Knight is more than just a moveset anyway.

Also don't act like you weren't being passive aggressive, "bro".
I say brother a lot? Sorry? I wasn't being passive aggressive at all in my opinion but alright.

You don't seem to get it. The entire context was that Roger/B.J would allow a 3rd party character if they had moveset potential.
Tons of characters are "more then just a moveset".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
i wouldn't have a problem with cloud but he'd be kinda weird since like
his only nintendo appearances are in... kingdom hearts and theatrhythm.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind him, but I'd definitely prefer other Final Fantasy representatives like a generic class or a Mog/Chocobo duo or something.

Last edited:
I would totally be down with master Chief lol.

It's probably because Halo 2 is the only reason i'm still a gamer but shhhh

Unrelated but after playing a certain DS game now I want a certain rythm based trio in smash. . .
Srsly these guys are great

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So general consensus is no Master Chief huh?

How about this:

Frogger?

...You know, somehow he'd be like a retro rep in Smash 5 if I didn't know better. But I don't since I don't think Frogger is Nintendo's property.

And Lara Croft is no for me.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So general consensus is no Master Chief huh?

How about this:

Frogger would be a no for me. Not because he's not iconic or anything, but I literally can't think of anything he could do.

I love Lara, and she's iconic (and on Nintendo system to boot too) and I'd main her in a heart beat, but her main issue is guns. She relies on them in her gameplay more than Snake ever has.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Been thinking...What bothers me about Shovel Knight and why it's weird to seriously consider his inclusion is that there is no reason for his inclusion. There's no way he won the ballot because of Japan. Yacht Club games can't offer Nintendo anything. He won't sell better than most third party DLC. So why?

Honestly, I don't get why Shovel Knight is seen as such a problem here, but Shantae is pretty much universally supported.

I understand that the two are completely different games and it's not strange at all to love one and hate the other, but as far as Smash goes, they're one in the same. They're both indy characters, both basically have 100% Western appeal, both had their creators ask for votes on Twitter, and would both be unique. They have the same advantages and the same issues.

If one doesn't belong, the other shouldn't, either.
Both are ridiculous, but one is slightly less ridiculous. Shantaa has more than one game, has been around for years, and has titles that are actually Nintendo exclusives. There's a better chance that she sticks around the gaming world then Shovel Knight, at the moment.

It's like... okay. I've never played a day of organized sports in my life. My friend played foot ball in high school and was a walk on in a community college team but couldn't last a season.

It would be RIDICULOUS for either of us to play a snap or professional foot ball. We would be extremely out of place and lost, and really REALLY out of our element. It's just that it would be slightly less preposterous for him.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And I have no idea how you extrapolated that question from anything that's been said so far. Shovel Knight is more than just a moveset anyway.

Also don't act like you weren't being passive aggressive, "bro".
Even if somebody is being passive aggressive, being passive aggressive/sarcastic/etc. back at them is not the way to go. That's how arguments escalate and get worse. You can disagree without doing so in a way that's going to escalate arguments.

This goes for everybody. A lot of people seem to read something as hostile in some way and respond in turn by throwing the same thing back. It doesn't make things better, and a lot of time things get escalated and then somebody points out that they didn't actually intend their comments to be taken in the way they were read. Stuff gets misread in text. Better to default to politeness than to jump to conclusions.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I haven't played many of Frogger's games, but the idea of him summoning traffic and whatnot to run over foes is pretty funny to me.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
I say brother a lot? Sorry? I wasn't being passive aggressive at all in my opinion but alright.

You don't seem to get it. The entire context was that Roger/B.J would allow a 3rd party character if they had moveset potential.
Tons of characters are "more then just a moveset".
"I can see why Roger feels upset about people not reading their posts correctly..." Is some passive aggressive bull****. Don't pretend it isn't.

I'm not going to argue on behalf of J.B. (calling them "B.J." is also passive aggressive btw), but boiling down the argument to the question you have here is pretty weird. I think J.B. is just arguing that you shouldn't be arbitrarily denying viable characters.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Here's the third version:

How ok would you be with this. I added Quote mostly because he represents the indies and basically redefined the Metroidvania genre.
eh... not really? i mean, i love cave story, but it didn't do much for the genre. it's pretty much popular just because it was an early indie game that was well-designed.
it's debatable on whether it really even counts as a metroidvania to begin with

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
This might not mean anything, but it looks like Yacht Club Games is hosting a livestream this Thursday at 8PM PST according to the official website.
People speculate the "megaton" thing they've been promising could be announced there which of course could be him in Super Smash Bros. Now I wouldn't get hyped for the stream, but I would keep my eye on it. It could still be interesting without the reveal (if there is one).

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This might not mean anything, but it looks like Yacht Club Games is hosting a livestream this Thursday at 8PM PST according to the official website.
People speculate the "megaton" thing they've been promising could be announced there which of course could be him in Super Smash Bros. Now I wouldn't get hyped for the stream, but I would keep my eye on it. It could still be interesting without the reveal (if there is one).
"It'll be an event you don't want to miss!"

I don't know about you, but. That sounds suspicious.

... Or maybe I'm just insane.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"I can see why Roger feels upset about people not reading their posts correctly..." Is some passive aggressive bull****. Don't pretend it isn't.

I'm not going to argue on behalf of J.B. (calling them "B.J." is also passive aggressive btw), but boiling down the argument to the question you have here is pretty weird. I think J.B. is just arguing that you shouldn't be arbitrarily denying viable characters.
I actually forgot Roger's name. I mean't J.B. I wouldn't call Roger that. Sorry Roger

I had a right to be rude there, the "feels upset" pard. You took my post out of context and I was confused.
Old habits die hard (about J.B's name)
I denied Shovel Knight for a variety of reasons, honestly. Me and J.B's debate were just one of them.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Actually I have a question about the Nindie developer thing Nintendo is doing

What indie devs are actually apart off the Nindie event?

Edit: Also just noticed something about Nindie, if you split Nindie into it's 2 syllables you get this:
Nin Die.
Bit of a funny coincidence isn't it?

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Here's the third version:

How ok would you be with this. I added Quote mostly because he represents the indies and basically redefined the Metroidvania genre.
I like it.I would personally replace froger with bomberman and cloud with sora but you used quote so that's good enough for me
Here's the final version:

Did I perfect it?
God damn it

Last edited by a moderator:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Who would you rather see Batman fight? Aquaman, or The Hulk?

The coolest fights are the ones that make no sense. I say open the floodgates and let in the Sony and Microsoft characters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here's the final version:

Did I perfect it?
I think this is the one that certainly makes the most sense in terms of Nintendo.

Layton's only on their consoles.

Black Mage is the most popular class and an iconic image of the most popular RPG series in the world.

Frogger's a classic Arcade style video game.

I'd be 100 percent okay with this.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Who would you rather see Batman fight? Aquaman, or The Hulk?

The coolest fights are the ones that make no sense. I say open the floodgates and let in the Sony and Microsoft characters.
I mean, that's not a fair comparison. Nobody wants to see Aquaman do anything.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
"It'll be an event you don't want to miss!"

I don't know about you, but. That sounds suspicious.

... Or maybe I'm just insane.
In fairness a lot of people use that exact same type of phrasing just to attract people to things that they want them to attend/see/whatever. I wouldn't read into it too much.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
I actually forgot Roger's name. I mean't J.B. I wouldn't call Roger that. Sorry Roger

I had a right to be rude there, the "feels upset" pard. You took my post out of context and I was confused.
Old habits die hard (about J.B's name)
I denied Shovel Knight for a variety of reasons, honestly. Me and J.B's debate were just one of them.
You had the right to be a **** to me because you were confused but if I dare to be rude back I'm a "feels upset pard"? That's some nice logic.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't get why Shovel Knight is seen as such a problem here, but Shantae is pretty much universally supported.

I understand that the two are completely different games and it's not strange at all to love one and hate the other, but as far as Smash goes, they're one in the same. They're both indy characters, both basically have 100% Western appeal, both had their creators ask for votes on Twitter, and would both be unique. They have the same advantages and the same issues.

If one doesn't belong, the other shouldn't, either.
For the record, while I would be much more okay with Shantae than Shovel Knight, I really don't support either in Smash.

The points you make aren't wrong, but you're leaving a lot out. Shantae has three games + one more coming while Shovel Knight has one. Shantae is more than a decade older. Shantae was Nintendo-exclusive for a long time, Shovel Knight was always multi-platform. Shantae has much more history with Nintendo than Shovel Knight. I don't think it's Shantae's time to join Smash, but Shovel Knight is far, far behind.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Remove Mario and put in the Master Chief.

In all honesty, ignoring the fact that this is a Nintendo game, the Chief would be badass.

He did redefine the console shooter, if any of you need a reason ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom