• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So, I did get a response.
upload_2015-8-26_19-31-34.png

The problem is I don't have a twitter at all. So I asked him if he would sign up for Smashboards at all. I'm currently waiting for a response. I'll update on what is happening once I get his response.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dude, you should have seen it when the days when MLP was relevant. Fans fighting over pony toys for girls was the most strangest and hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life
Please, allow me to laugh.
Time to start voting for Burger King in the ballot.
#BurgerKing4Smash4

And I see the subject is still Tamaki and the Shovel Knight "leak".

Guy's credible enough to me, but the fact he's had wrong info before is reason enough to be skeptical. Hell, even if he had a perfect track record, there's always a first time when such people are fed false information. That's how things are: you should never 100% trust unofficial info.

(It also doesn't help the guy has a kind of abrasive personality... Which in turn isn't helped by salty people pestering him all the time. Kind of a snowball effect, so to speak.)

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Hey, I got a question for one you guys? Could one of you hit Tamaki up on twitter if possible? I'm not really a huge fan of Social Media thus I don't really want to sign up for twitter. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
New Shovel Knight for Smash.png

This is basically how I would (almost feel) about Shovel Knight in Smash.

Which is ironic, because I just bought Shovel Knight as I was making this....

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly, Smash is a video game at the end of the day and I'm with the people who are of the stance that it really doesn't matter to me who gets in any more as long as the content is quality and with Sakurai at the helm? It's 99.9 percent likely to be.

It's really not that serious and the reputation or ''upstanding" history of Smash is only ever really going to get ruined if they start putting any meme character in that's not Waluigi. (You know an actual video game character/Nintendo favorite.)

Shovel Knight being in isn't suddenly going to ruin the franchise for ever.

Same goes for other hot button candidates. If they get in? They got in because Nintendo and Sakurai obviously saw potential in them.

That's all that should really matter when it comes to the Smash roster.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, Smash is a video game at the end of the day and I'm with the people who of the stance that it really doesn't matter to me who gets in any more as long as the content is quality and with Sakurai at the helm? It's 99.9 percent likely to be.

It's really not that serious and the reputation or ''upstanding" history of Smash is only ever really going to get ruined if they start putting any meme character in that's not Waluigi. (you know an actual video game character/Nintendo favorite.)

Same goes for other hot button candidates. If they get in? They got in because Nintendo and Sakurai obviously saw potential in them.

100% agreed. I would like this 100 times if I could.

domokl

Smash Lord
Oh man the contrast. The smash reddit freaking loves the idea of shovel knight and Smashboards seems to mostly dislike it. Should be interesting either way this turns out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know, this past weekend I played Smash Wii U for the first time at a con. I had brought my copy of Smash 3DS, as did other people, and eventually we had plenty of 7 player matches since the Wii U only had 4 controllers.

It had been quite a while since I actually played Smash with other people in the same place. And for the first time in years I once again experienced what Smash is meant to be. During that play session, it didn't matter if Ridley was in or not, if Ganondorf was still a Falcon clone or not, if Dark Pit was in the game or not or whatever other controversial subject you can think of.

It was a bunch of people playing and having fun. Nothing more and nothing less. And all sort of characters were picked, including all 3 clones.

I'm not trying to impose anything on anyone, but this made me think how perhaps we worry too much about a game and take things too seriously for our own good.

But this is just me.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It doesn't take inside knowledge to know that Snake more than likely isn't gonna be back.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Honestly, Smash is a video game at the end of the day and I'm with the people who of the stance that it really doesn't matter to me who gets in any more as long as the content is quality and with Sakurai at the helm? It's 99.9 percent likely to be.

It's really not that serious and the reputation or ''upstanding" history of Smash is only ever really going to get ruined if they start putting any meme character in that's not Waluigi. (You know an actual video game character/Nintendo favorite.)

I know Smash is just a video game, but...

...Rayman is a part of my childhood.:crying:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
But I would. I'm not you, alde.
SK has FAR more cons then Paper Mario. I'd be very upset.
I just would be more sad to see people upsrt about him not being in than him not being in the firat place.

See, I'm optimistic, but realistic guy, to me, It will never change how much his repping improved in brawl with stages and more trophies.

I really love to support, but getting upset over these sort of stuff is making me feel bad as I wouldn't enjoy support as much if people were more ok to accept he can not be there.

I got my experience when dr mario was leaked, I felt so much ashamed to read the hate remark in the support thread....

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But I would. I'm not you, alde.
SK has FAR more cons then Paper Mario. I'd be very upset.
Really, the only con people generally have with him is him not being a video game icon. It's more of a big flaw than anything, but I don't consider it to be one. Personally, I think putting it to just icons is just limiting your potential options.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mewtwo being absent in Brawl didn't make it a bad game.

I actually enjoyed Brawl very much despite Mewtwo being cut.

And he was my most played character in Melee, mind you.

Because I often play single-player modes (especially Multi-Man Smash) and try to improve my records as every single character, I tend to get used to all of them. Doesn't mean I don't have favorites, though. Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser Jr., Robin and Dark Pit are among my most played characters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Not being a major icon shouldn't really be a flaw holding back third party characters. If they have potential and Sakurai can implement them. Go for it I say.

I mean it's not like every Nintendo character in the franchise at the moment is a major icon. Hell, some of them didn't even get any sort of popular status until being in Smash Brothers.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Really, the only con people generally have with him is him not being a video game icon. It's more of a big flaw than anything, but I don't consider it to be one. Personally, I think putting it to just icons is just limiting your potential options.
Lmao, what?

-Multiplatform
-Not an icon (which is a bigger problem then you say)
-No Nintendo exclusives
-One game
-A year old

D

Deleted member

Even though I support Butt Butt, I do understand the argument that as a guest for Smash, he doesn't have the same credentials that all of the other five had.

Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu are all big names. Shovel Knight is only a big name "in the making".
He may have become essentially what is a big fish in a small pond (indies), but he's not quite ready to swim in the ocean with the sharks, if that makes any sense.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In fact pretty much the only thing that should hold back a third party in my opinion is:

''Are they on a Nintendo system?"

If they are, then feel free to proceed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
In fact pretty much the only thing that should hold back a third party in my opinion is:

''Are they on a Nintendo system?"

If they are, then feel free to proceed.
If I have to be honest that's a pretty terrible rule.
I mean a literal nobody game only on Nintendo that's a 3rd party indie could get in according to your rules.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
My only problem with Shovel Knight is that he's only been in one game. Not one game in a series, but one game.

I don't care that he's indie (hell I want Shantae), but I feel like he should at least have a developed franchise.

Not that it matters. In the end, I'll accept him if he is indeed playable.

Chrono.

If Shovel Knight is indeed playable I'm sure people will warm up to the idea of him once they see him in action.

Ryu got "meh" reactions all around until we saw how he played.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If I have to be honest that's a pretty terrible rule.
I mean a literal nobody game only on Nintendo that's a 3rd party indie could get in according to your rules.
And?

What the hell does it matter if that one game person has massive potential for a unique moveset?

After all, I know they're Nintendo, but people are clamoring massively for Inklings.

But you can't be selective just because ''MY NINTENDO!" is what I'm saying.

If that character can have the same amount of potential as say Inklings to be a quality character on the roster.

Develop them. Let them in.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If Shovel Knight is indeed playable I'm sure people will warm up to the idea of him once they see him in action.

that;s a point right there. I do feel the same about paper mario, but even though I still won;t change that to go through he trouble of adding him is weird and kinda questioning.

This won;t changes his playstyle and potential, because the truth is this can matter A LOT and he really does have great potential with neat playstyle possibilities.

So, this is kinda why if he's ever in, I won;t see the big deal here other than really question myself about nintendo relation with indie.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Pac-Man is another good example, though the issue with him was more that people were worried it'd be the Ghostly Adventures version.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So I just contacted Tamaki via Email. He's fine with the interview. It's that he just wants to do it via Skype and I unfortunately don't have Skype. I'm waiting to see if he will do it via email still. I'll keep you guys updated to see if anything goes through.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
And?

What the hell does it matter if that one game person has massive potential for a unique moveset?

After all, I know they're Nintendo, but people are clamoring massively for Inklings.

But you can't be selective just because ''MY NINTENDO!" is what I'm saying.

If that character can have the same amount of potential as say Inklings to be a quality character on the roster.

Develop them. Let them in.
Let them in...

...as trophies.

Poor Rayman.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So I just contacted Tamaki via Email. He's fine with the interview. It's that he just wants to do it via Skype and I unfortunately don't have Skype. I'm waiting to see if he will do it via email still. I'll keep you guys updated to see if anything goes through.
tbh, it;s kinda easy to setup skype, so much that it might have been less trouble to do it with skype.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
tbh, it;s kinda easy to setup skype, so much that it might have been less trouble to do it with skype.
The reason I want to do it via text is so I can keep track of everything he says easier. I was going to PM some of the mods as he might have additional information they he might not want to reveal to the general public yet.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The reason I want to do it via text is so I can keep track of everything he says easier. I was going to PM some of the mods as he might have additional information they he might not want to reveal to the general public yet.
you can go pretty far back in a skype chat history and nothign prevents you from copy pasting into a txt in worst cases.....

That;s what i do on IRC because I can;t figure how to log my stuff :)

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
you can go pretty far back in a skype chat history and nothign prevents you from copy pasting into a txt in worst cases.....

That;s what i do on IRC because I can;t figure how to log my stuff :)
I also run into the problem of my strict parents...

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Honestly, I don't get why Shovel Knight is seen as such a problem here, but Shantae is pretty much universally supported.

I understand that the two are completely different games and it's not strange at all to love one and hate the other, but as far as Smash goes, they're one in the same. They're both indy characters, both basically have 100% Western appeal, both had their creators ask for votes on Twitter, and would both be unique. They have the same advantages and the same issues.

If one doesn't belong, the other shouldn't, either.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I gotta say.

Some of you stating this about third parties would loathe it if certain third parties got in. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At the end of the day, we've finally got something to talk about.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly, I don't get why Shovel Knight is seen as such a problem here, but Shantae is pretty much universally supported.

I understand that the two are completely different games and it's not strange at all to love one and hate the other, but as far as Smash goes, they're one in the same. They're both indy characters, both basically have 100% Western appeal, both had their creators ask for votes on Twitter, and would both be unique. They have the same advantages and the same issues.

It seems like people only give Shantae edge because she has two games over Shovel Knights one, but that doesn't really make sense to me considering the moment Splatoon start taking off?

They were all over the Inklings.

Like the rules people around here follow are pretty inconsistent to be honest.

I gotta say.

Some of you stating this about third parties would loathe it if certain third parties got in. :p
You could legimtiately throw Shadow who is my least favorite Sonic character in and I'd just shrug.

I legitimiately do not care because I realize that this is a game and it's not all about ME ME ME ME ME.

Every character somewhere is going to have a fan that's going to squeal with excitement when they get a Smash Newcomer page whenever or should ever that happen for them.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It seems like people only give Shantae edge because she has two games over Shovel Knights one, but that doesn't really make sense to me considering the moment Splatoon start taking off?

They were all over the Inklings.

Like the rules people around here follow are pretty inconsistent to be honest.
She technically has 4 actually, one in development. But yeah, that's one reason and the other being she at least has years of Nintendo history under her belt.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

You could be like me and dislike the idea of both of them. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom