• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And?

What the hell does it matter if that one game person has massive potential for a unique moveset?

After all, I know they're Nintendo, but people are clamoring massively for Inklings.

But you can't be selective just because ''MY NINTENDO!" is what I'm saying.

If that character can have the same amount of potential as say Inklings to be a quality character on the roster.

Develop them. Let them in.
If Shrek has a good moveset are you going to let him in?

I'm very confused by the "moveset's good? let 'em in!" philosophy you got going on.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
You could be like me and dislike the idea of both of them. :awesome:
That's what I meant in my post.

If people think one of the two belongs in Smash, it makes no sense to think the other doesn't. They have pretty much all the same pros and cons.

Personally, I don't care for either of them, too.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Shrek has a good moveset are you going to let him in?

I'm very confused by the "moveset's good? let 'em in!" philosophy you got going on.
You missed my post diminishing meme characters such as him and Goku. Earlier in the thread I already said meme characters are the only ones who'd sully the game's roster.

He's one of few characters that would actually sully what the game is! A fighting game crossover for video game characters that have appeared on Nintendo systems.

Don't come at me with Shrek.

Like Shrek don't count for anybody but jokesters on the internet and you knew that before you even sent that through the world wide webs my way, dude.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I also run into the problem of my strict parents...
I have Skype, and I'm semi free for the next hour. (a friend is sleeping on my couch though)

I just caught up with this thread. Im still trying to gather my thoughts together.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You missed my post diminishing meme characters such as him and Goku. Earlier in the thread. He's one of few characters that would actually sully what the game is a fighting game crossover for video game characters that have appeared on Nintendo systems.

Don't come at me with Shrek.

Like Shrek don't count for anybody but jokesters on the internet and you knew that before you even sent that through the world wide webs my way, dude.
It was an example. Here's my real point.

If, say, Master Chief had great moveset potential, are you gonna let him in? Because that is what seems to be your philosophy.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It seems like people only give Shantae edge because she has two games over Shovel Knights one, but that doesn't really make sense to me considering the moment Splatoon start taking off?

They were all over the Inklings.

Like the rules people around here follow are pretty inconsistent to be honest.
Splatoon is 1st party, though. And a game that's gotten pretty popular, at that.

People probably have an easier time getting behind a playable Inkling than Shovel Knight. But again, I don't really think it matters.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meme characters like Shrek and Goku and such are the crutch defense for people arguging against not wanting actually good video game characters that while maybe not iconic, but have appeared on Nintendo systems, to get in.

Shovel Knight/Shantae/Geno/Bayonetta/Controversial Character #14 Here does not equal ''Welp, gotta let Shrek and Goku in!"

It was an example. Here's my real point.

If, say, Master Chief had great moveset potential, are you gonna let him in? Because that is what seems to be your philosophy.
ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM DUDE.

It's like you're not reading what I'm saying at all.

Master Chief has never been on a Nintendo system and thus is invalid in this discussion.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'd actually be okay with Master Chief. He's actually an icon and can hold his own.

Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't icons. It's going to be a situation like Quote or Commander Video. Are they going to have the same star power in 3 years? Granted getting into Smash is a HUGE deal. It'll help combat that issue, but they shouldn't need to rely on Smash to be legendary or well
known. *shrugs*

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I have Skype, and I'm semi free for the next hour. (a friend is sleeping on my couch though)

I just caught up with this thread. Im still trying to gather my thoughts together.
So, would you mind having a Skype call with him? I'm still trying to get him to sign up for SmashBoards :p.
EDIT: Here's the recent message I sent him:
upload_2015-8-26_21-22-58.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be ok with Master Chief.
I don't care how much an icon he is, he does not belong in a Nintendo crossover.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd actually be okay with Master Chief. He's actually an icon and can hold his own.

Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't icons. It's going to be a situation like Quote or Commander Video. Are they going to have the same star power in 3 years? Granted getting into Smash is a HUGE deal. It'll help combat that issue, but they shouldn't need to rely on Smash to be legendary or we'll known. *shrugs*
At the same time. What does it hurt if they're removed later because they're inactive in gaming now? I understand that at that point they'd probably have mains and they'd just be there for them, but at the same time having a one time guest or two has never hurt any fighting game prior.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Meme characters like Shrek and Goku and such are the crutch defense for people arguging against not wanting actually good video game characters that while maybe not iconic, but have appeared on Nintendo systems, to get in.

Shovel Knight/Shantae/Geno/Bayonetta/Controversial Character #14 Here does not equal ''Welp, gotta let Shrek and Goku in!"

ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM DUDE.

It's like you're not reading what I'm saying at all.

Master Chief has never been on a Nintendo system and thus is invalid in this discussion.
Alright, dude what is your problem? You're getting seriously aggresive, at least from my perspective.

So would you let, say, say, a character from The Cave (multiplatform indie game, on Wii U) in if they had a good moveset? Basically I don't get why you'd let ANY indie character with 1 game in Smash.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't icons. It's going to be a situation like Quote or Commander Video. Are they going to have the same star power in 3 years? Granted getting into Smash is a HUGE deal. It'll help combat that issue, but they shouldn't need to rely on Smash to be legendary or we'll known. *shrugs*
This is, imo, why I don't wanna count Shantae in this. Granted, anything could happen, but thanks to all this ballot speculation, Japan has gotten more exposure of Shantae's existence, even without being in Smash Bros herself. And well, I don't know where SK will go, but Shantae has 4 games to her name, and chances are, she won't be stopping, even without Smash Bros.

If she doesn't have "Star power" now, at some point, whether it be Smash 5, she will have it at some point by then.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Alright, dude what is your problem? You're getting seriously aggresive, at least from my perspective.

So would you let, say, say, a character from The Cave (multiplatform indie game, on Wii U) in if they had a good moveset? Basically I don't get why you'd let ANY indie character with 1 game in Smash.
Not meaning to come across aggressive, but you are a little bit angering me because it's like you're not reading my posts a bit, but if I scared you or anything, sorry.

But yes I would.

If they have potential? Sure. Why not.

Because to me that's all that matters, are they going to add a unique moveset to the game? Are they going to add something fun to the roster?

Yes?

Okay then, so why do they hurt the game again? Why do they sully the game? Because it's a Nintendo fighter?

Welp, they're on a Nintendo system, so it kind of negates that.

And if they're inactive and don't have a sequel or fall inactive and get removed, well look a one time guest fighter in a fighting game. It's not a big deal for other fighters. Why is it for Smash?

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think the problem here is just conflicting perspectives. For some people a certain standard for characters may be important, for others they don't really care as long as the game is fun. I don't think further explanation is really going to help bridge that gap.

I'm honestly not invested enough in any potential characters to care enough about who does get in, so I'm not particularly picky about who they do add. If it's not a character I'm already familiar with / fond of it's pretty much all the same to me as long as they're fun to play with.

D

Deleted member

If The Cave had a similar impact in the indie scene to Shovel Knight, then you might have a point here.

Something that needs to be brought into context is that Shovel Knight isn't just "an indie character". He's (currently) THE indie character.
Huge following, multiple guest roles and cameos in other indie titles, taken seriously enough by major game developers to feature their content in his game (before people go HURR NOT NINTENDO THOUGH, bear in mind we're awaiting an announcement for Nintendo's exclusive content, which is what lead up to this situation in the first place), an actual retail release, etc.
All in a little over one year.

That being said, he's still kind of the current flavor of the month. He needs to last a while to prove he can stand the test of time.

backlot

Smash Journeyman

Because Shovel Knight is actually popular?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because Shovel Knight is actually popular?
I can see why Roger feels upset about people not reading their posts correctly...

If The Cave had a similar impact in the indie scene to Shovel Knight, then you might have a point here.

Something that needs to be brought into context is that Shovel Knight isn't just "an indie character". He's (currently) THE indie character.
Huge following, multiple guest roles and cameos in other indie titles, taken seriously enough by major game developers to feature their content in his game (before people go HURR NOT NINTENDO THOUGH, bear in mind we're awaiting an announcement for Nintendo's exclusive content, which is what lead up to this situation in the first place), an actual retail release, etc.
All in a little over one year.

That being said, he's still kind of the current flavor of the month. He needs to last a while to prove he can stand the test of time.
That's the thing though. He's basically the flavor of the month right now.

Not meaning to come across aggressive, but you are a little bit angering me because it's like you're not reading my posts a bit, but if I scared you or anything, sorry.

But yes I would.

If they have potential? Sure. Why not.

Because to me that's all that matters, are they going to add a unique moveset to the game? Are they going to add something fun to the roster?

Yes?

Okay then, so why do they hurt the game again? Why do they sully the game? Because it's a Nintendo fighter?

Welp, they're on a Nintendo system, so it kind of negates that.

And if they're inactive and don't have a sequel or fall inactive and get removed, well look a one time guest fighter in a fighting game. It's not a big deal for other fighters. Why is it for Smash?
I don't think I can really change your opinion and vice versa, but I can see what you're getting at. I just took what you were saying wrong by the way.

EDIT: Lmao did I just start Master Chief discussion in the thread

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This forum kind of has an odd issue with third parties in general though, actually important to video games and icons of their respective genres are given some pretty odd comments.

Look at people like Pac Man and Ryu who are both in but caused salt before their reveals.

Or people like Rayman that is pretty wildly wanted but still causes salt.

I've also seen perfectly viable and popular Square reps like Sora get salt, despite you know Kingdom Hearts being a megawatt franchise that has appeared on Nintendo. (I'd still prefer Black Mage personally but people on this forum act as if KH is a niche thing or something.)

Snake was pretty divisive as well despite his iconic status to stealth action games. There were two sides on whether he should come back for Wii U/3DS.

There's a definite third party support issue in general on the forum when even big characters get odd looks and salty comments.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sorry I didn't address your straw man argument correctly.
I don't know what that means, also chilll you're getting a bit hostile brother.

My entire point was "would you add a one game multiplatform indie character solely for the moveset?" And I couldn't think of a game so I used The Cave.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Would you be ok with this if this was the 3rd party lineup?
Remove Master Cheif for sure, he's pretty much Microsoft's icon and has no standing ground on a Nintendo system even with the cancelled Halo DS

The others are iconic characters in gaming. Cloud's game changed the way story telling was told, plus is part of a highly big franchise, and he's also in Nintendo games as well. So fine.

Layton supports the **** out of Nintendo by having his games on pretty much only their consoles.

Oh, Monster Hunter. Hmm, I guess, I've never played it and would personally want Phoenix Wright or another Street Fighter like Chun Li than them though.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Anyone else find it funny how yachet club gaming is made up of former wayforward devs and there character may get in before there former employer

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Really though, Monster Hunter would be awesome even though I don't think it would ever happen.

Also, a third Capcom rep would go down well on the forums. :troll:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Even though I support Butt Butt, I do understand the argument that as a guest for Smash, he doesn't have the same credentials that all of the other five had.

Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Ryu are all big names. Shovel Knight is only a big name "in the making".
He may have become essentially what is a big fish in a small pond (indies), but he's not quite ready to swim in the ocean with the sharks, if that makes any sense.
I completely understand this sentiment but I feel like the whole thing about a character being "big enough" or "deserving" is a set of fan rules that kinda go out the window for the ballot. While some people don't like indies, if an indie character got in, it would show that just about anything could happen. That's exciting.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what that means, also chilll you're getting a bit hostile brother.

My entire point was "would you add a one game multiplatform indie character solely for the moveset?" And I couldn't think of a game so I used The Cave.
And I have no idea how you extrapolated that question from anything that's been said so far. Shovel Knight is more than just a moveset anyway.

Also don't act like you weren't being passive aggressive, "bro".

Khoru

Smash Champion
i wouldn't have a problem with cloud but he'd be kinda weird since like
his only nintendo appearances are in... kingdom hearts and theatrhythm.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'd prefer a big character from a direct competitor of Nintendo over a small one with only a tangential connection to them.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

Would you be ok with this if this was the 3rd party lineup?
Headcannonly, I'd like to think BluePikmin keeps this counter where, everytime he posts these roster picture icons with the Monster Hunter among them, and someone asks him "who is that guy?", BluePikmin adds one point to the counter. He must be over a hundred by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom