• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well...

Being balanced was not really on Gen 1's list of priorities. ;)
Psychics were a result of bad programming and judgment.

Two weaknesses: Bug and Ghost.
Bug had no good moves to use against Psychics. The "best" move was Twinneedle, exclusive to the Bug/Poison Beedrill.
Ghost had only Lick and Night Shade (which only did damage based on users' level). And even then, due to an error in programming, Psychics were immune to Ghost attacks instead of weak to them. Worse yet, the only Ghost types (the Gengar line) were all part Poison type.

And thus the Dark type was introduced in Gold and Silver.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Bug had no good moves to use against Psychics. The "best" move was Twinneedle, exclusive to the Bug/Poison Beedrill.
Ghost had only Lick and Night Shade (which only did damage based on users' level). And even then, due to an error in programming, Psychics were immune to Ghost attacks instead of weak to them. Worse yet, the only Ghost types (the Gengar line) were all part Poison type.

Also it doesn't help that Psychics got nerf in Gen 2 and 3 with the ability of all Ghost types being immune to Psychic attacks. Plus even then, poison got worst and bug types got better (but not good enough).

Plus, you forgot about steel types who psychic types can't do a damn thing to

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'll be that guy. I think we are only getting the Mario Maker stage the 30th.
At this point I don't think you really need to preface a post with "I'll be that guy"...:p

Not like that ghost bug mattered, when the only damaging ghost moves were Night Shade and Lick, while the only available ghost family were part poison.

To be fair, Ghost types being ineffective was a glitch.

Ehh either way Gen 1 is way busted.
was joke

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Also it doesn't help that Psychics got nerf in Gen 2 and 3 with the ability of all Ghost types being immune to Psychic attacks. Plus even then, poison got worst and bug types got better (but not good enough).
Eh? You mean Dark types? Because Ghosts never gotten any resistance to Psychic types, from gen 2 on just Ghost moves hit Psychics super effectively.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm on the same boat with the 30th only bringing the Mario Maker stage. If we're getting a character reveal at all, it'll be after the poll is done.

Strofirko

Smash Master
People say metroid has only lava stages on smash bros,but the last time I checked Pyrosphere isn't a lava stage.

Chrono.

We're getting more than at least one stage, character or not.

There's no reason for them to announce a stage 2 weeks in advance, while the last update got announced only 2 days in advance.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, why are people expecting to get a character on the 30th?
I don't think there's any evidence pointing either way, I think it's probably just wishful thinking. Which isn't to say it couldn't happen, just that we haven't heard anything in a while or gotten anything in a while, so naturally people are hoping for a character.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I don't think there's any evidence pointing either way, I think it's probably just wishful thinking. Which isn't to say it couldn't happen, just that we haven't heard anything in a while or gotten anything in a while, so naturally people are hoping for a character.
I guess it makes sense, but Im doubting it, since the Ballot ends 4 days after the Mario maker stage releases....

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
People say metroid has only lava stages on smash bros,but the last time I checked Pyrosphere isn't a lava stage.
Technically, Brinstar, Brinstar Depths and Planet Zebes have acid, not lava.

Also, Frigate Orpheon has neither of those.

I know you probably only meant Smash 4, but I wanted to cover the whole series :p

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I guess it makes sense, but Im doubting it, since the Ballot ends 4 days after the Mario maker stage releases....
I agree, I'm erring on the side of caution.

It doesn't have lava rising, but it's still heat-based and it has lava below in the pit (I don't think you see it in game [and I'm too lazy to check], but it's there). My beef with Metroid only getting lava stages is more about there being one type of environment present from a series with a plethora of very interesting ones than just about rising lava.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I'd agree if it weren't for the trophy DLC, which 100% disconfirms them in my eyes.

It's not about which Prime level is best.

It's about the Brawl stage, which a lot of people (myself included) think is the most interesting Metroid stage to be featured in Smash to date since it's the only one that's strayed away from the lava/acid theme.

Yeah, there's much cooler choices than Orpheon for a new stage. But if Metroid were to get a past stage as DLC, most of us would rather see Orpheon than Zebes or Brinstar Depths.
i have to ask, how does the trophy 100% disconfirms them? people thought the same with the mewtwo and lucas trophy.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I'll be that guy. I think we are only getting the Mario Maker stage the 30th.

Come on, that's not the right attitude. This board has no room for realistic expectations. We're getting 20 more character, 12 stages and a voucher for a free Mario Maker download!!!111!1111 :crazy:

And that's how it's done.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still think at least one character is very possible with the stage announced 2 weeks in advanced. We know that there is at least one other stage, we just don't know what. With all the time we have had without anything major, I wouldn't be surprised if we got 3 characters. I think 2 is most possible but wouldn't be shocked if three happened. Either way I hope for a new character and am looking forward to the update!!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
i have to ask, how does the trophy 100% disconfirms them? people thought the same with the mewtwo and lucas trophy.
Because they were included as DLC. If they were base game, it wouldnt discomfirm them, but it makes no sense to add the character trohpy and not the character itself

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone!

What are the odds of Sakurai revealing one of my most wanted characters as a birthday present? :troll:

But damn, the ballot is closing soon. Feels like it started yesterday.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone!

What are the odds of Sakurai revealing one of my most wanted characters as a birthday present? :troll:

But damn, the ballot is closing soon. Feels like it started yesterday.
Maybe he will reveal one of my most wanted as well, since my birthday is just 4 days away!
:p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not exactly topical anymore, but even as a supporter I'm totally okay with Inklings being saved for the next Smash.
Because when Splatoon is finally introduced into Smash Bros., I want them to go all out - the Inklings have a brand new mechanic that nobody else uses, 2+ stages, tons of music, Assist Trophies and items.
Basically I want Splatoon to be the Kid Icarus: Uprising of Smash 5. With DLC I don't think they'll make quite an event of Inklings in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Not exactly topical anymore, but even as a supporter I'm totally okay with Inklings being saved for the next Smash.
Because when Splatoon is finally introduced into Smash Bros., I want them to go all out - the Inklings have a brand new mechanic that nobody else uses, 2+ stages, tons of music, Assist Trophies and items.
Basically I want Splatoon to be the Kid Icarus: Uprising of Smash 5. With DLC I don't think they'll make quite an event of Inklings in Smash Bros.
I actually would be fully ok with this! 16 costumes like Mac, 8 for inklings, 8 for Octolings. Cali Marie assist, makes the opposing fighters start to dance and unable to move for the duration of their hit song! Blackbelly Skate Park and hammerhead bridge would be my stage picks. There is so much content they could have.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Regarding the Metroid stages, I also like Frigate Orpheon.

I'd love to see Phaaze as a stage but that's only happening in my wildest dreams.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I wouldn't call Inklings and Golden Sun representation things that Smash 4 "should already have".

Given its current status, Golden Sun has about all it warrants in Smash 4 already (a couple of music tracks). It's a niche series that's dead.

Splatoon, meanwhile, is too new an IP. Even if it is a long way off, Inkling is pretty much the quintessential character that should be saved for SSB5.
Roy don't even have a game in America when Melee was launched.
And Lucas never have to begin with.
This chars were new stuff when their debut Smash was launched.
Given the fact that Smash Bros came just a bit earlier then Splatoon, have a day 1 (from the Splatoon launch) DLC would be a very smart decision to build hype and popularity to franchise.
Splatoon is the biggest new stuff Nintendo have in years, the sucess is Pikmin-wise or above.
So... I really think Inkling should enter Smash 4 and not 5.
And I don't even have the game.But is simple market ideas (Nintendo likes to not being obvious, but come on).

About Golden Sun, I personally don't care.
But the niche fanbase deserves a least a Assist Trophy.Dillon is a Assist Trophy.
I think Isaac should not be counted as a shoe-in, but...GS lacks representation.
I agree that they can be saved for SSB5, but the argument was kind of invalid.
Anyway, I think you're one of my favorite members in this group since the begin, Burb!
Nice to discuss with you.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I actually liked Frigate Orpheon. Until it flipped me under the stage and killed me. . . If they fixed that I would gladly take it back.
This is Frigate Orpheon.If they "fix it",it would kill the stage concept.
Love this stage if your recovery is good, or/and you know how to react to the flip.
Hate/Ban this stage otherwise.
The name of stages viable but bad for some character/people is : Counterpick.
And Frigate Orpheon is one of my favorite ones because.... :pit:and:metaknight: were my Brawl boys.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
My worst fear for the 30th is we get only the stage and they tell us only the ballot is only for smash 5 for I mean its unrealistic fear XD I hope we get a character with the stage or the stage free lol

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Roy don't even have a game in America when Melee was launched.
And Lucas never have to begin with.
This chars were new stuff when their debut Smash was launched.
Given the fact that Smash Bros came just a bit earlier then Splatoon, have a day 1 (from the Splatoon launch) DLC would be a very smart decision to build hype and popularity to franchise.
Splatoon is the biggest new stuff Nintendo have in years, the sucess is Pikmin-wise or above.
So... I really think Inkling should enter Smash 4 and not 5.
And I don't even have the game.But is simple market ideas (Nintendo likes to not being obvious, but come on).

About Golden Sun, I personally don't care.
But the niche fanbase deserves a least a Assist Trophy.Dillon is a Assist Trophy.
I think Isaac should not be counted as a shoe-in, but...GS lacks representation.
I agree that they can be saved for SSB5, but the argument was kind of invalid.
Anyway, I think you're one of my favorite members in this group since the begin, Burb!
Nice to discuss with you.

Here's the resolution why we were saying they should be saved for the new game. Kenith Kenith made a perfect point.

Splatoon in Smash 4 if Inklings are DLC will get this:
  • Fighter
  • Only 3-4 trophies
  • A stage
  • 2 remixes
In Smash 5/NX with almost 2+ years of development, care and a langer team will have
  • Fighter(s)
  • 2 stages
  • 4+ remixes
  • 1-2 assist trophies (Callie and Marie & the Capt.)
  • A real CG trailer
  • 15+ trophies
  • Event modes dedicated to them
  • More than 8 costumes
If anything, having them wait until the next game, they'll get more content, plus with sequels, they can get more content to work with.

Plus advertising is kinda of a flimsy excuse. Splatoon has gotten oodles and oodles of ads and recognition without Smash's help. It got popular on its own and has been big on it own.

For God sakes, it's DLC updates are getting TV ads, Smash doesn't even have that and probably won't even get that. It's a big franchise but it's a young franchise. Let it grow, mature and perfect itself in the flow of other Nintendo franchises before putting it in Smash. It'll get its time and we are certain their time is coming.

Splatoon doesn't need Smash, Smash needs Splatoon. It got big on its own. They don't need Smash to advertise itself when it's doing a better job that it does.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If they did, no one took it seriously.
You can't just brush it off like that.

This isn't just a case on whether an idea is valid. It's whether it was a common belief in the past. It was a pretty prevalent idea.

You can't just brush off history like that.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Nintendo didn't know the sucess Splatoon would be.
From market perspective, they should "Smashfied" Inkling to begin with.
Smash for Wii U now have great sales, but would win more with Splatoon (I agree with it).

Wait for next Smash only for the "Inkling trailer" is kind of selfish.
Splatoon sucess would be kind of eternized with Inkling in Smash.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If they did, no one took it seriously.
Dude this is Smash Bros fanbase

Lucario/Greninja "replaced" Mewtwo.
Roy Koopa "replaced" Roy (FE)
Lucas has no chance.
Ryu has no chance.

All these things and more have (and was taking serious by the people against said characters' inclusion) been said before. How long have you been here on Smashboards? The whole Mewtwo verses Lucario thing has bad ever since the darn Greninja reveal trailer. Salt runs everywhere with all kinds of "rules" to disconfirms a character's chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom