• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
i have to ask, how does the trophy 100% disconfirms them? people thought the same with the mewtwo and lucas trophy.
DLC allegedly wasn't planned until after the game's development finished. The Lucas and Mewtwo trophies were in-game already.

The Inkling trophy was added as DLC: DLC was being planned, and they put an Inkling trophy in. Common sense should tell you that if they planned on making Inklings as DLC fighters, they wouldn't have shipped out a trophy of them as DLC. They'd hold it off until the character is finished.

You can't just brush it off like that.

This isn't just a case on whether an idea is valid. It's whether it was a common belief in the past. It was a pretty prevalent idea.

You can't just brush off history like that.
I never heard anyone seriously say that the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies disconfirmed them as DLC. Only the base game.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I've been making videos of Smashboards User's levels, I'll check yours out tonight!
If I gave you a Code, would you like to play one of my courses? I have 250 Stars, so hopefully, that means my stages are pretty good, and I'd love to see someone play it. XD

if you want, of course.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What is the most common date for announcements with Nintendo or do they just throw darts around the office and decide to release something wherever it lands?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Roy don't even have a game in America when Melee was launched.
And Lucas never have to begin with.
This chars were new stuff when their debut Smash was launched.
Lucas and Roy weren't from new IPs.

Given the fact that Smash Bros came just a bit earlier then Splatoon, have a day 1 (from the Splatoon launch) DLC would be a very smart decision to build hype and popularity to franchise.
Splatoon is the biggest new stuff Nintendo have in years, the sucess is Pikmin-wise or above.
So... I really think Inkling should enter Smash 4 and not 5.
And I don't even have the game.But is simple market ideas (Nintendo likes to not being obvious, but come on).
"Simple market ideas"

Yeah, a simple market idea that's been wrong 100% of the time. People constantly guess characters based on what game is about to come out. Guess what? Never happens. Ever.

Roy is the only example of a fighter slot in Smash being used for marketing purposes, and even that's debatable.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Well, I finally made some progress in Blender. While the interface is still bad, at the very least it's understandable. I feel they put too much work into separating functions into the different modes. A simple "lock" button/feature like UE4 would work wonders and simplify much of the UI. That said, I'm still open to tips.
[sees post from Vanroose]
speak of the devil...

People have written patches to turn the Blender UI into the Maya UI. They work alright, but it's never as good as the real thing. Blender is just terrible, and I'm always amazed at those who defend it.

If you want my personal gray opinion, just use Maya. An .obj or .fbx created in Maya is indistinguishable from an .obj or .fbx created in Blender. If you create something that gains success, hey, buy a license retroactively. I have a friend who made a game with cracked software and only bought a license just before he released it, which is another option. In his opinion, which I share, he thought it a poor idea to purchase software before he knew whether he'd actually produce something worth selling with it.
I saw that UI patch. It was actually one of the first google suggestions when I was lookig up blender (it's kinda sad). Still, you make good points. I hadn't thought of buying the license right before release as I thought there was a section in the license that implied I had to remake anything done in the free version. That was years ago so I may be remembering it wrong. I'll still need to re-read it to make sure.

That said, I was using the free version for years back in college (I made a short video of zordon committing suicide in the command chamber) and made small games as projects. I only got the perpetual license because of student discounts and the fact that my textbooks during the year I bought it were free (libraries and online versions) so I just used my book stipend money instead of buying $300+ dollars worth of books.

I completely agree with you concerning the Quality of Blender. It has it's place and can be a good tool, but it's the poster boy of "too many cooks in the kitchen". It's all over the place. I feel that it's weakest development point is that, as a community project, too many people have strong voices and as a result many of the features/concepts seem to clash or are too situational.

Going back to Maya, I'm really disappointed that they're going subscription only next year. I generally hate anything that requires me to pay more money over time. I'm fine if a subscription is optional, but I dont like the idea of paying for upgrades I don't need or want. I mean it makes business sense: when an old product works, there's seldom a reason for users to pay for the next version and as a result they often skip several versions. Subscription models force users to upgrade to continue using the product, but the price is simply spread out over time....and often for smaller upgrades at that.

I hope a company can eventually eventually play in the same ballpark as Autodesk and that it offers a perpetual license. Who knows, maybe they'll pull a microsoft and have a a free indie version or an online version....nah.

Last edited:

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I said this once and I'll say it again, I never liked how people used "OMG, SPLATOON PROMOTION" as a reason for the Inkling's inclusion.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I'm confident we are getting two stages on the 30th, based on the websites lack of stage4 and the suspicious photoshopping on the stage select screen. The stage will very likely be an N64 stage.

I don't think we are getting a newcomer or a 3rd stage.

We might get a vet like Wolf, Snake or Ice Climbers.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I would want to say that I would expect another character that isn't Wolf on the 30th, but so many are expecting him it's kinda weird to NOT expect him.

I'll choose the EXTREMELY low chance that it's Snake. Or maybe a newcomer like Dixie Kong. Still though, would not surprise me in the slightest that it's Wolf.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
None of the DLC characters we have were used for promotional purposes. Mewtwo is Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy aren't even starring in upcoming games (not even a VC release for Mother 3 despite fan demands) and Ryu's upcoming game isn't even on the Wii U or 3DS, so he isn't here for obvious promotional purposes, either.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Who wants to bet that we dont get a character on the 30th and better yet and if we do get a character i bet it isn't Wolf

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Roy is the only example of a fighter slot in Smash being used for marketing purposes, and even that's debatable.
I would argue Shulk is another example. I thought he was included because of a combination of Japanese fan demand and in celebration of Nintendo recently (as of the time of Smash 4's production) acquiring Monolith Soft as a new partner.

None of the DLC characters we have were used for promotional purposes. Mewtwo is Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy aren't even starring in upcoming games (not even a VC release for Mother 3 despite fan demands) and Ryu's upcoming game isn't even on the Wii U or 3DS, so he isn't here for obvious promotional purposes, either.
What do you mean by this? It doesn't mean they can't start now. There's no rule stating Nintendo can't do this.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
If I gave you a Code, would you like to play one of my courses? I have 250 Stars, so hopefully, that means my stages are pretty good, and I'd love to see someone play it. XD

if you want, of course.
Yes, I encourage ANY of you guys to send me codes, and I'll try to play all of them and make videos :)

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
This is the problem.

This happens all the time with Wolf.
If there's one thing I'm glad about, it removes that whole "He'll be released to coincide with the release of Star Fox Zero!" that a lot of people seemed to be warming up to. Not to say he wouldn't be the next character coming, but so many were saying he would be the next one announced.

I would like to see some newcomers though. Something that I just thought of was what if the last two characters (if they are pre-ballot) are semi-clones or along the lines of Wolf: Characters that share similarities to an already existing fighter, but unique enough to make them play differently. Wolf and Dixie fall under this category imo. While they are released, all the original fighters are made from the ballot.

It's a theory that doesn't make much sense, but it's something I wouldn't mind to be honest. I like the idea of Dixie playable. She has enough to make her stand out, even if she plays similar to Diddy. Wolf I just don't care about, but wouldn't mind coming back. :p

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
People have written patches to turn the Blender UI into the Maya UI. They work alright, but it's never as good as the real thing. Blender is just terrible, and I'm always amazed at those who defend it.

If you want my personal gray opinion, just use Maya. An .obj or .fbx created in Maya is indistinguishable from an .obj or .fbx created in Blender. If you create something that gains success, hey, buy a license retroactively. I have a friend who made a game with cracked software and only bought a license just before he released it, which is another option. In his opinion, which I share, he thought it a poor idea to purchase software before he knew whether he'd actually produce something worth selling with it.
Yeah, I double checked the license, and the methods you describe should work just fine. Heck, worst-case-scenario I should be able to make some of a model in Maya and just finish it up in blender. Which one was used most doesnt need to be known.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm at about 95 percent that Wolf's not returning to Smash Brothers this installment. I'm pretty sure he's this game's Mewtwo. I don't think Sakurai has much interest in him, nor understands how much he's wanted back.

I'm also positive Inklings are next game as well, I'm not sure if it's mostly because I think certain characters like Inklings and K. Rool might have gameplay mechanics that Sakurai deems need more time and care than his team for DLC can handle, but then Ryu is fairly complex with multiple inputs, however that might be easier than just a complete complex moveset?

I don't know just a pondering of mine. Sakurai always wants to be so truthful and honest to characters that I can't see him rushing something that has a ton of potential like Inklings or K. Rool do, which is why I'm sure their Mii Outfits are just like Burb Burb says ''Hey, I hear you, but not at this moment in time"

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What do you mean by this? It doesn't mean they can't start now. There's no rule stating Nintendo can't do this.
It means that, despite the possibility, there is no precedence for it and thus, it is pointless to speculate that promotional reasons are a major factor when it comes to DLC because there is no evidence towards said belief.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
If no new character was announced for August, I don't think we'll be getting any new characters until after the Ballot.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm going to very honest and professional about this. Right now, I feel the Smash community has become a little too salty when it comes to certain character additions. Let me elaborate on this.

Smash Bros. 4 honestly has the best roster out of any game in the series. The roster is so diverse and is made to appeal to anyone who plays the game in some form. Of course, a lot of people would still want their favorite character to duke it out with the other Nintendo characters in the game. Who wouldn't want their childhood all in one game? That would simply be amazing. So I understand that we all want our characters in.

What I don't understand is why we tend to demolish other people's choices of who they want in Smash. I don't mean that we insult other people's choices, its just we keep telling them that they have a lower chance than other characters which leads to arguments. If you think about it from an open/wide point of view, practically any character has a chance of getting into Smash Bros. Albeit, each character has a different percentage in terms of chance.

The thing is though, Sakurai really picks whoever he wants. Even though each character has a certain "percentage" of chance, they can still be in the game. Heck if Sakurai wanted to, he could put Goku in if he wants (yes, that Goku). I feel the chances a character has don't really matter anymore as proven by the roster dating back to even Brawl. To me, they're just old myths our community has had for ages and never really changed.

I'm basically trying to say, that we really need to open up to certain character choices. Sakurai changes his mind all the time. Look at how the roster for Smash 4 looked. We got a lot of surprises from it and a lot of unexpected guests.

I just feel it ain't right to treat as if someone's favorite character can get into the game as it's very possible. Although, I do understand that the made-up rules of Smash Speculation are probably used as a form of crowd control as well.

This is practically what I had to say. I just hope we that we are just more open about character speculation in the future :).
Super Smash Bros. isn't just about speculation, hype and criticism. It's also about having fun ;).

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The thing that gets me though, besides Wolf (The "shoo-in"), every other character has been decisive on their chances in Smash. Literally no one can agree on what is likely or not.

I think that's what's going to make the rest of the DLC so special. NO ONE can agree or know what's going to happen next.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Still betting that the next fighter reveal is either a newcomer or Wolf + a newcomer. Wolf alone I don't see happening.

I'm going to very honest and professional about this. Right now, I feel the Smash community has become a little too salty when it comes to certain character additions. Let me elaborate on this.
You must be new around here.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Still betting that the next fighter reveal is either a newcomer or Wolf + a newcomer. Wolf alone I don't see happening.

You must be new around here.
Er... I've been here since February when the leaks group was still around. I was invited when the Rayman leak happened. So, I know this place very well :smirk:. Sort of.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The thing that gets me though, besides Wolf (The "shoo-in"), every other character has been decisive on their chances in Smash. Literally no one can agree on what is likely or not.

I think that's what's going to make the rest of the DLC so special. NO ONE can agree or know what's going to happen next.
Yeah, expect a few more "curveballs" (that also qualifies as fanservice, of course)

D

Deleted member

I'm at about 95 percent that Wolf's not returning to Smash Brothers this installment. I'm pretty sure he's this game's Mewtwo. I don't think Sakurai has much interest in him, nor understands how much he's wanted back.
"This game's Mewtwo"?
The only way that statement is accurate is if it's referring to Wolf being a low-priority character that was scrapped when time proved to be an issue in including him and has demand to return that dwarfs that of any other character, newcomer or veteran.

Which, until DLC was revealed, Mewtwo was still "this game's Mewtwo".

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I've been here since the Palutena leak woot woot! (On a different thread, but same base group of people)

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I lurked here on and off for years before making an account, so I cant really say how log I've been here.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Yeah, I double checked the license, and the methods you describe should work just fine. Heck, worst-case-scenario I should be able to make some of a model in Maya and just finish it up in blender. Which one was used most doesnt need to be known.
Even if it were against the EULA, it still wouldn't be much of an issue. Copyright has been, and always will be, a tricky gray area, but having spoken with a copyright lawyer in the past, you own what you create, even if what you create it in isn't legitimate. Just avoid using pre-created stuff like built-in Maya textures or Photoshop lens flare graphics and you're fine.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I would argue Shulk is another example. I thought he was included because of a combination of Japanese fan demand and in celebration of Nintendo recently (as of the time of Smash 4's production) acquiring Monolith Soft as a new partner.
I'm quite certain he got in on his own merits, and wasn't some marketing technique for the 3DS port of Xenoblade.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm quite certain he got in on his own merits, and wasn't some marketing technique for the 3DS port of Xenoblade.
He was highly requested in Japan.
Sakurai loves Xenoblade so much that he owns his own Monado.
I'm pretty sure marketing meant nothing. Hell, if anything, Monolith might have jumped at the chance to do the port KNOWING Shulk was about to get a lot more recognition thanks to Smash.
Absolutely not saying that's the case either, but he was definitely not in for marketing. He was a fairly popular character from a highly-praised game Sakurai loved.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
"This game's Mewtwo"?
The only way that statement is accurate is if it's referring to Wolf being a low-priority character that was scrapped when time proved to be an issue in including him and has demand to return that dwarfs that of any other character, newcomer or veteran.

Which, until DLC was revealed, Mewtwo was still "this game's Mewtwo".
Maybe better words would've been ''Brawl's Mewtwo."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom