• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
*cuts to the 30th* "Inkling splats the competition!" "Shovel knight digs on by!" and a wolf mii costume

(side note i spent the last half hour trying to find this image on tumblr)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
People take the "Smash is an advertisement machine" thing too literally.

It advertised the games the characters come from but they don't bring in super recent characters for fighters. Even by the time the games were released, characters were already established.

:4shulk: Game came out in 2010 and was localized in 2012 way before Smash 4 development started. The only one that was even close to that was :4greninja: and his situation was more of Game Freak influence and XY came out right before Smash was finished.

These characters were at least given a full year or so before was locked in for development.

Roy and Lucas are radically different especially Lucas considering the development hell Mother 3 was in and was chosen to replace Ness but afterwards was his appearance and he wasn't even brought in to advertise anything considering his game never came out overseas. Roy is the only exception and even then, he was straight up cloned because Sakurai only had a basis for Roy on design and what he had brought.

Smash advertises, but only for games released in the time span after Brawl, AKA the same thing that happen before post-Melee. Plus even third parties were never considered for advertising at all. :snake: was never brought in for MGS4 advertising but because of a favor of Kojima to his best friend Sakurai, :4pacman: was brought in by a request of Miyamoto and Namco-Bandai's influence, :4ryu: just brought in because Sakurai loves Street Fighter and the other two third party characters, :4megaman::4sonic:, were highly requested characters, regardless of future or history

TL;DR: Smash has never advertised anything after its release of its latest game but only once and isn't solely an advertisement machine

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to very honest and professional about this. Right now, I feel the Smash community has become a little too salty when it comes to certain character additions. Let me elaborate on this.

Smash Bros. 4 honestly has the best roster out of any game in the series. The roster is so diverse and is made to appeal to anyone who plays the game in some form. Of course, a lot of people would still want their favorite character to duke it out with the other Nintendo characters in the game. Who wouldn't want their childhood all in one game? That would simply be amazing. So I understand that we all want our characters in.

What I don't understand is why we tend to demolish other people's choices of who they want in Smash. I don't mean that we insult other people's choices, its just we keep telling them that they have a lower chance than other characters which leads to arguments. If you think about it from an open/wide point of view, practically any character has a chance of getting into Smash Bros. Albeit, each character has a different percentage in terms of chance.

The thing is though, Sakurai really picks whoever he wants. Even though each character has a certain "percentage" of chance, they can still be in the game. Heck if Sakurai wanted to, he could put Goku in if he wants (yes, that Goku). I feel the chances a character has don't really matter anymore as proven by the roster dating back to even Brawl. To me, they're just old myths our community has had for ages and never really changed.

I'm basically trying to say, that we really need to open up to certain character choices. Sakurai changes his mind all the time. Look at how the roster for Smash 4 looked. We got a lot of surprises from it and a lot of unexpected guests.

I just feel it ain't right to treat as if someone's favorite character can get into the game as it's very possible. Although, I do understand that the made-up rules of Smash Speculation are probably used as a form of crowd control as well.

This is practically what I had to say. I just hope we that we are just more open about character speculation in the future :).
Super Smash Bros. isn't just about speculation, hype and criticism. It's also about having fun ;).
well yes but adding Goku or shrek or cory baxtor or Brittany spears would ruin the game... I want a video game born character in the smash roster please Wolf is fine I mean a few tweeks and boom he is in but I would want Geno or Isacc but like I said earlier im sure there make good choices

D

Deleted member

Maybe better words would've been ''Brawl's Mewtwo."
No, "Smash 4's Mewtwo" would be more accurate (not entirely accurate when comparing Mewtwo and Wolf, but more accurate compared to the other phrase) as it invokes a comparison between Mewtwo in Brawl and an equivalent in Smash 4.
"Brawl's Mewtwo" implies a comparison to Melee. As in, a character in Brawl that is equivalent to what Mewtwo was in Melee. Which Wolf is definitely not.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yes, I encourage ANY of you guys to send me codes, and I'll try to play all of them and make videos :)
Cave Trial (Short and sweet): 8EA9-0000-0034-6A3C
A Sheikah's Trial (Can be beat): 5ADC-0000-0053-EA9C

:yoshi:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, "Smash 4's Mewtwo" would be more accurate (not entirely accurate when comparing Mewtwo and Wolf, but more accurate compared to the other phrase) as it invokes a comparison between Mewtwo in Brawl and an equivalent in Smash 4.
"Brawl's Mewtwo" implies a comparison to Melee. As in, a character in Brawl that is equivalent to what Mewtwo was in Melee.
Either way I don't see him coming back and him being the one who has an overlapping demand into the next iteration of Smash.

If he comes, awesome, but I just don't think Sakurai has much interest in Wolf or any Star Fox character that's not the Melee duo sadly.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
vaanrose vaanrose , your signature is nice, but what I'm most impressed with is how quickly the Tink got his taunt out.

Cheeky, cheeky~ ;3
I keep a finger on the taunt button at all times. You never know when the opportunity will present itself.

D

Deleted member

Either way I don't see him coming back and him being the one who has an overlapping demand into the next iteration of Smash.
He would have high demand, but he wouldn't have anywhere near what Mewtwo had.
Not if he has to keep sharing divided demand with others that Mewtwo didn't have to deal with, not even with Roy.

If he comes, awesome, but I just don't think Sakurai has much interest in Wolf or any Star Fox character that's not the Melee duo sadly.
Based on what grounds?
It certainly isn't the fact he didn't make it into the base roster, because Lucas.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

With the Ice Climbers pretty much confirmed to not be possible to bring back, the only other veteran worth any merit (Yes yes, I know, Snake, but look at Konami and try and tell me it's still plausible) would be Wolf. And if Sakurai didn't have much interest in him, he wouldn't have made the cut to begin with. Considering he BARELY made it into Brawl doesn't change the fact that he made it in. It's not like there were any upcoming Star Fox games to use him to plug like Roy was.
At the very least, all I'm saying is that IF there will be another veteran, I am entirely positive it will be Wolf.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Made a thing
3DS Roster.png

Ignore ugly roster layout
Not really a prediction or really a wish list just i think were gonna end up with 8 DLC characters and just throw characters that could be pre-ballot and post ballot.ou decided which

Last edited by a moderator:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm quite certain he got in on his own merits, and wasn't some marketing technique for the 3DS port of Xenoblade.
I never suggested it was to promote a 3DS port, or to sell anything at all. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I merely speculated that he's a celebration, which in a way is a different form of marketing - but not necessarily for the purpose of sales.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
well yes but adding Goku or shrek or cory baxtor or Brittany spears would ruin the game... I want a video game born character in the smash roster please Wolf is fine I mean a few tweeks and boom he is in but I would want Geno or Isacc but like I said earlier im sure there make good choices
Lol, Geno making a better choice then Wolf? Or am I misunderstanding.

hey Geno really does had a chance but im sorry T^T

my good sir you have me there
Uhhh, what? Geno doesn't have a chance at all, my dude; his popularity has been crushed.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
>Makes a joke about Geno being my top pick but obviously not having a good shot at all
>Sparks the same debate for the 75th time

I never asked for this.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It means that, despite the possibility, there is no precedence for it and thus, it is pointless to speculate that promotional reasons are a major factor when it comes to DLC because there is no evidence towards said belief.
I only caution not to make that one of our infamous rules. You are right, though - it's pointless to speculate on that, because at this point, either possibility (with or without intent to push another product) are equally possible.

>Makes a joke about Geno being my top pick but obviously not having a good shot at all
>Sparks the same debate for the 75th time

I never asked for this.
I've learned a long time ago not to make jokes around here. If it looks like an opinion, it looks like a target.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yes, I encourage ANY of you guys to send me codes, and I'll try to play all of them and make videos :)
If you can, can you please play my two levels?

Flight of the Charziard: 8574-0000-0034-B61B. It's very difficult but beatable. It also has two secret exists that take you straight to the end.

and

Silver and Gold: D46A-0000-004B-4DD3. A fairly easy level, but has some puzzle aspects to it. Stars gold and silver mario. If you want to play the silver path of the level, take the door at the start, if you want the gold, then take the mystery mushroom at the start and head right!

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I never suggested it was to promote a 3DS port, or to sell anything at all. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I merely speculated that he's a celebration, which in a way is a different form of marketing - but not necessarily for the purpose of sales.
I assumed you meant the 3DS port because that's the only situation where Shulk would be an example of what we're talking about.

"Shulk was added to celebrate the acquisition of Monolithsoft" =/= "Inklings should be in Smash already because it would promote Splatoon". There's no marketing or advertising involved in this situation.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Inklings to me are like adding in the new characters from Fire Emblem If. A Horrible Idea.

Just because the characters(Squids) are new and the game sold well doesn't mean they can just have a spot on the roster.

D

Deleted member

Made a thing
View attachment 74536
Ignore ugly roster layout
Not really a prediction or really a wish list just i think were gonna end up with 8 DLC characters and just throw characters that could be pre-ballot and post ballot.ou decided which
>Wishlist
>No Wonder-Red
The door is right there, please go
This is a joke pls dont hurt me

Khoru

Smash Champion
Inklings to me are like adding in the new characters from Fire Emblem If. A Horrible Idea.

Just because the characters(Squids) are new and the game sold well doesn't mean they can just have a spot on the roster.
they're one of the most unique and viable remaining characters...? they're obviously not getting in smash 4 but come on

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
With the Ice Climbers pretty much confirmed to not be possible to bring back, the only other veteran worth any merit (Yes yes, I know, Snake, but look at Konami and try and tell me it's still plausible) would be Wolf. And if Sakurai didn't have much interest in him, he wouldn't have made the cut to begin with.
I don't quite understand this sentence.
Are you implying that Sakurai would keep a character that he's not interesting in having, passing off his disinterest as Sakurai bias?

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
SlickWylde SlickWylde Super Mario Maker levels, eh?

E5ED-0000-005E-43FD 7A0E-0000-005F-5046 (Updated to remove a major cheat, the old code no longer works)

Basically, you need to get through the three doors without letting the Brick Blocks underneath them get broken. Fair warning, it took me almost an hour to beat this, primarily because of the last section.

If anyone needs help with the puzzle-y parts, particularly the second section, here's a link to a video of it:
https://youtu.be/X5vYnbFiyMM

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Based on what grounds?
It certainly isn't the fact he didn't make it into the base roster, because Lucas.
It mostly comes from the vibe I get about Sakurai and Wolf in general. He didn't choose him for Melee because he was too similar to Fox in build.

He wasn't implemented into Brawl until late and didn't get a role in the big story mode. He was pretty low on the development lever of numbering too if I recall correctly.

When you're an afterthought for a writer/creator, usually? You stay an after thought until something comes along to change your mind.

I think his change of mind will come either soon by adding Wolf and realizing the demand or simply by not adding him and seeing that people want him back in Smash when it comes time to make whatever Smash will on NX.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure Sakurai likes Wolf. :wolf:

Honestly where did this idea come from?

Are we just making up reasons to be pessimistic?

D

Deleted member

So what does?
If being popular and relevant doesn't then we need to talk about the current roster
I'm pretty sure Sakurai likes Wolf. :wolf:

Honestly where did this idea come from?

Are we just making up reasons to be pessimistic?
Probably
Wolf was in Brawl for god's sake
You can't tell me he doesn't like Wolf if he went ouf of his way to include him with an unique moveset after development was almost finished

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know why Wolf was added in Brawl? Because of popularity and ease of development.

You know, the same reasons why Roy and Lucas were added as DLC. Both were popular wants and they could easily be based on Marth and Ness, respectively.

Wolf has had a rise in popularity and demand since his cut and Sakurai could easily base off Fox to make Wolf. Plus, there's a Star Fox title coming.

In regards to marketing, Roy wasn't intended as a marketing stunt. Sakurai wanted a clone of Marth and went to Intelligent System to have another character. They showed him a demo of FE6, Sakurai liked the character because he could stand out best from Marth thanks to his personality and the fire sword, choosing him as a result.

You know what marketing additions are? Inkling Mii costumes being released a few weeks after Splatoon and the upcoming Super Mario Maker stage, also being released around two weeks since that game's release. And you could argue that the Woolly World stage could be marketing as well or at least a Roy situation in which Sakurai liked the idea because, frankly, the wool aesthetics do make it stand out from other stages.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think we're trying to read Sakurai again.

His mind is just so confusing.
I don't find his mind to be that confusing. I happen to understand his logic in many regards.

If people actually read interviews and learned a bit about the processes behind game development, it would make a lot of his decisions easier to understand for them.

Of course, character selection is a harder to understand as it comes from his whims, but even so, there are distinct situations that can be clearly noted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom