• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
It mostly comes from the vibe I get about Sakurai and Wolf in general. He didn't choose him for Melee because he was too similar to Fox in build.
As has been debunked by PushDustin, that is a myth, as well as everything in that Neogaf post. As far as we know nothing has ever been said nor implicated about Wolf in Melee.

You know why Wolf was added in Brawl? Because of popularity and ease of development.

You know, the same reasons why Roy and Lucas were added as DLC. Both were popular wants and they could easily be based on Marth and Ness, respectively.

Wolf has had a rise in popularity and demand since his cut and Sakurai could easily base off Fox to make Wolf. Plus, there's a Star Fox title coming.
Yeah, Wolf has the biggest asset going for him in that he's a non-difficult yet popular addition. If those two unaccounted placeholder slots aren't meant to be all that's left, I'm 99% certain Wolf will be coming back.

If those two slots are all that's left though, my view gets a lot grimmer, as I don't think Sakurai would have only 2 of the 6 DLC characters be newcomers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Inklings to me are like adding in the new characters from Fire Emblem If. A Horrible Idea.

Just because the characters(Squids) are new and the game sold well doesn't mean they can just have a spot on the roster.
They're popular, relevant to today, basically famous already, and come from what is easily the most successful new IP Nintendo's produced in years. And considering how possibly amazing their gameplay potential would be and how seemingly popular of a ballot pick they are, they seem like something Sakurai would definitely be game for. I think they'd more than warrant a spot.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I'm pretty sure Sakurai likes Wolf. :wolf:

Honestly where did this idea come from?

Are we just making up reasons to be pessimistic?
Yeah, I thought Sakurai liked Wolf. I mean, Wolf made it into Brawl, didnt he?

For you Mario Maker people, try this simplistic level. Its apparently my best one.
Wario Waker (Collect 10 Coins)
0841-0000-0040-6408 (Wow, no letters)
I accidentally deleted its secondary brother course Wario Taker (Collect 20 Coins), due to its overwhelming difficulty.
Also, for a more difficult level, try
Go Forth, Toad!
2D14-0000-003B-6E25

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I had to look this up to make sure you were not lying
Nowhere in that tweet does Sakurai claim to actually own it. The event is Press Start, which is a video game concert that Sakurai is very involves with. In the tween he essentially says, 'good job everyone. The event was enjoyable (as usual).

I think Inklings could come in as a ballot character still. I think the costume and trophy was for marketing, but character selection is based on popularity. If Wolf is in the game, Star Fox Zero's existence will have nothing to do with him being in the game or not. His choice will be bases on what the fans want. He might be revealed along with Sf Zero to help promote, but him himself won't be for promotional purposes.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
you were misunderstanding but I mean I saw some Geno Groups and I mean he is nine on most polls now a days I still believe he has a chance
It seems GenoBoost has a friend.

But just going to say, this was mentioned before here, whether he's chances could happen, it still doesn't make his chanced not brought down because how relevant his is as a character, and the relationship with Square Enix has with Nintendo, before not really good when it comes to character's made by SE.

And I thkn we should just drop this, this keeps happening it's just not funny anymore.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Also, I know that this article from back in april was probably Sakurai referring to Tournament mode:
http://nintendonews.com/2015/04/super-smash-bros-dlc-modes-sakurai/,

... but if we ever get another mode, I REALLY hope that if it isn't a new game mode, that its a Colour edit mode similar to CVS2 or KOF XIII where you could edit the colours of different parts of a character.

Imagine having something like this when playing as Falcon:
That would be cool tbh.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think the whole "Sakurai likes/hates a character" is something the fanbase loves to blow out of proportion.

Sakurai has shown a lot of love for what he does and for having the opportunity to work with many different video game characters.

I don't really think he has the same sort of love and hate certain fans have. I don't think he would ignore a popular character because of personal hatred for a character, assuming he actually harbors negative feelings towards fictional characters, which is frankly something I find hard to do.

He may have some favoritism towards certain characters, but be honest here: if you were in charge of a 50+ character roster in a massive crossover title with the opportunities to use a ton of different IPs, you probably would squeeze a favorite of yours or two among the crowd.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also, I know that this article from back in april was probably Sakurai referring to Tournament mode:

... but if we ever get another mode, I REALLY hope that if it isn't a new game mode, that its a Colour edit mode similar to CVS2 or KOF XIII where you could edit the colours of different parts of a character.

That would be cool tbh.
While I find that Falcon palette to be utterly ridiculous, I would absolutely love a color edit mode.
I just think Nintendo should try making more creation tools for their games. Mario Maker is awesome. Stage Builder is not. More of Mario Maker, please.

A map editor of some kind would be grand for say, Splatoon.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

That would be cool tbh.
Color Edit is the kind of thing that would cause issues in tournament and online (remember SFxTK's Neon Colors?) but still be absolutely amazing to use.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I assumed you meant the 3DS port because that's the only situation where Shulk would be an example of what we're talking about.

"Shulk was added to celebrate the acquisition of Monolithsoft" =/= "Inklings should be in Smash already because it would promote Splatoon". There's no marketing or advertising involved in this situation.
Inklings? Uh... I think you're lumping me in with someone else's argument.

I was only replying to your point that Roy might arguably be the only character introduced for marketing reasons. Wasn't meant to support a previous argument about Inklings. In hindsight, this probably happened because I butt in on something, so... whoopsies?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hm...

If Shovel Knight gets in. What stage would he have and what gimmick/layout would it have?

D

Deleted member

That would be cool tbh.
If that sort of feature were added, then I'd first make Bad Box Art Mega Man and Evil Ryu palette swaps.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

That would be cool tbh.
I think we would all know what people do to ZSS once we get a color swap mode. :050:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
It seems GenoBoost has a friend.

But just going to say, this was mentioned before here, whether he's chances could happen, it still doesn't make his chanced not brought down because how relevant his is as a character, and the relationship with Square Enix has with Nintendo, before not really good when it comes to character's made by SE.

And I thkn we should just drop this, this keeps happening it's just not funny anymore.
(Geno Boost I know him he is in one of the Geno groups im in )
well you think I'm trying to be funny good for you but most Square workers who had worked on super Mario rpg went to alphadream the makers of Mario & Luigi and they are trying to buy full rights from Square Enix..... Anyway I'm not here to fight dude I only mean that he has a chance to make it unlike the troll characters so I will drop it .. sorry

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I found a cool anime.

But only 8 episodes are subbed or dubbed anywhere.

This stinks.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Color Edit is the kind of thing that would cause issues in tournament and online (remember SFxTK's Neon Colors?) but still be absolutely amazing to use.
They could probably just go the route of the Mii Fighters and have it disabled unless you are playing with friends or something.
TO's could decide in their ruleset whether or not if Colour edits are allowed.

Plus, the colours don't even have to go up to the scale of what SFxT did.
Those Neon colours were ridiculous.

While I find that Falcon palette to be utterly ridiculous, I would absolutely love a color edit mode.
I just think Nintendo should try making more creation tools for their games. Mario Maker is awesome. Stage Builder is not. More of Mario Maker, please.

A map editor of some kind would be grand for say, Splatoon.
Yes, I agree.

I wonder what other games could get the Mario Maker treatment?...

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I can't load the article on mobile, but I'm 90% sure they are using our translation for a source.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/23/sakurai-on-dlc-its-all-about-making-players-happy/

Plurals don't exist in Japanese so it could actually be 'mode', I'm not sure @Aeris made a note about that. But between Tourney and the Online Tourneys I don't think "modes" is incorrect. I just wouldn't hold your breath for additional modes (though it does looks like there's space for additional online modes).

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Hm...

If Shovel Knight gets in. What stage would he have and what gimmick/layout would it have?
I don't know what the gimmicks would be, but as far as stages go, there's a lot to work with.

The Airship feels like an obvious choice. It's already in the sky so having bottomless pits makes sense. Some of the local enemies like Hover Meanie and Propeller Knight himself could also be great hazards. And it has really great use of color.

This is a good example of Yacht Club breaking the NES color palette to make something really nice looking.

Besides that, Plains of Passage and King Knight's Pridemoor Keep are good choices too.

If he ever got in, that's what I'd want to see.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hey BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , which pipe dream characters are still alive and have a kicking chance? I forget.

Also.. What are the most likely scenarios do you think we have? Assuming the slots are all Pre-Ballot and knowing how the DLC page works. Seems to me we have a few scenarios, and this is the best case.

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Retro/New Stage with no character representation (guaranteed due to the Missing stage 4 on the SSB4 site)
3. New Franchise Stage
4. Two characters
5. Mii Costumes

D

Deleted member

That would be cool tbh.
I really, REALLY want this so I can make a Lagann palette for Bowser Jr.
And to give Robin's hair color a NATURAL ONE STOP GIVING ME GREEN AND BLUE ANIME BELONGS IN THE TRASH
Hm...

Either Plains of Passage or Tower of Fate as they aren't connected to any of the Knights
I would love if it was Tower of Fate Entrance because:
  1. The stage music is awesome
  2. It rains and I've been wanting a stage with a rain effect since forever
  3. It's where you fight Black Knight for the last time
  4. His Boss theme is also awesome
As for gimmicks, we could either have Black Knight work as a hazard/stage boss shooting meteors and stuff, the rain could affect movement in some way or it could sometimes get all dark like the last section does

And finally, and most importantly, music
I believe DLC stages have 8 music tracks with only two remixes, so I'm going with that
  1. Shovel Knight Main Theme(Remix)
  2. Order of No Quarter Melody
  3. The Defender
  4. The Fateful Return
  5. Strike the Earth!
  6. Fighting With All Our Might
  7. The Possessor
  8. The Betrayer

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I found a cool anime.

But only 8 episodes are subbed or dubbed anywhere.

This stinks.
Well, I could live without dubbed, but no subs kinda sucks...
I prefer watching anime (I don't do so often, mind) with subs to dubs because dubs are usually terrible from my experience.
(which anime?)
Hey kids, it's great to post on message boards with people you like, but when someone tries to use sarcasm...
why

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are three moderators on the thread right now.

I need to be veeeewy cautious.
Five, actually. I, and probably a lot of others, use the Invisibility feature so I don't show up on the bottom.

That being said, drawing attention to previous bannings or moderator interactions isn't a good thing to do, as it very much seems like posting just to post, and it creates unnecessary attention and drama.

Khoru

Smash Champion
And finally, and most importantly, music
I believe DLC stages have 8 music tracks with only two remixes, so I'm going with that
  1. Shovel Knight Main Theme(Remix)
  2. Order of No Quarter Melody
  3. The Defender
  4. The Fateful Return
  5. Strike the Earth!
  6. Fighting With All Our Might
  7. The Possessor
  8. The Betrayer
the bulk of the game's best songs are order stage songs so i'd kinda salty over just... a medley
at least, considering the quality of 90% of ssb4's medleys (chop up various songs and haphazardly put them together)

i mean not everything needs to be impartial to an ensemble cast
elec man is in ssb4 pretty much solely bc of creator favoritism iirc
and a third of the order just has dlc, leaving the others in the dust

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I could live without dubbed, but no subs kinda sucks...
I prefer watching anime (I don't do so often, mind) with subs to dubs because dubs are usually terrible from my experience.
(which anime?)
It was the New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion.

I watched the first episode on a whim.

It is surprisingly sad.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I don't care which stage Shovel Knight ends up getting.

I just want La Danse Macabre as one of the songs.

D

Deleted member

Five, actually. I, and probably a lot of others, use the Invisibility feature so I don't show up on the bottom.

That being said, drawing attention to previous bannings or moderator interactions isn't a good thing to do, as it very much seems like posting just to post, and it creates unnecessary attention and drama.
Moderators have powers?
And it's invisibility?
Well, ****
the bulk of the game's best songs are order stage songs so i'd kinda salty over just... a medley
at least, considering the quality of 90% of ssb4's medleys (chop up various songs and haphazardly put them together)

i mean not everything needs to be impartial to an ensemble cast
elec man is in ssb4 pretty much solely bc of creator favoritism iirc
and a third of the order just has dlc, leaving the others in the dust
I was going to list PK's theme since he just got PoS but then I remembered Medleys are a thing
And there are limited resources with DLC so they can't add a bunch of music(Wily's Castle has more than 8 tracks iirc)
Also, the Mega Man Medleys are really good

Besides, D O N T M A K E M E C H O O S E B E T W E E N T H E I R T H E M E S

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

@SlickWylde I went now to your profile page to see your sig because I remember that you had your Youtube channel linked on it and signatures weren't working on mobile
You little...
Btw, could you link it to me anyways?
anyone can do it afaik

i didn't think they were that special but idk
i'd've preferred just directly ported individual songs if arrangements weren't an option
------------joke----------->

_______you__________

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hm...

My bet would be on King Knight's stage. Something early and accessible, given that not everyone who played Shovel Knight has beaten Shovel Knight.

Actually, scratch that... Trouple Fish's Pond. Accessible from the start, and simultaneously more iconic and generic. It's a place players return to frequently, so it'd make a good home for SK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom