• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread - 9.14.2023

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
WELCOME BACK!

To the official Nintendo Direct Discussion thread. September 14th, 2023 Edition.

As usual we’ll close down the Newcomer Speculation Threads and General Social 2.0 as the Direct airs at 7 a.m. PT and we’ll keep them closed the entirety and shorty after the Direct.

All normal rules apply but we ask that you give extra care to keep ANY AND ALL SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS AND WARN PEOPLE OF WHATS IN THE SPOILER TAGS.

A lot of people want to be surprised by the announcements so we ask that you are respectful and kind enough to do so.

Other than that, enjoy!

And as always,

Keep it clean!

1632431352829.png

Watch Links:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright, can't wait for all the news coming in this Direct! Let's go!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is a thing?
We used to do them all the time during Smash reveals. We do them on occasion now the anticipation for this direct has been higher than the other recent ones so I felt it was viable this time.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
it's that time of year again baby

semi realistic expectations:
  • Sora Amiibo + minor Smash Ultimate updates like maybe some music pass you can get free via NSO Expansion Pak. no new fighters.
  • Splatoon 3 Side Order
  • something Donkey Kong related
  • MK8D wave 6 (characters: Funky Kong and Octoling) (latter's not a spoiler, just a less realistic want)
  • Kid Icarus Uprising HD and/or Metroid Prime 4
  • Pikmin 4 DLC
  • Zelda HD collection (WW HD, TP HD, Switch versions of OoT 3D and MM 3D)

not as realistic wishes:
  • GameCube NSO with Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • F-Zero GX HD (ideally with online)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition
  • Trauma Center comeback? third party like SoA, but still
  • Switch successor reveal, though they may do that independently like the initial Switch reveal

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'm feeling a bit reduced for this direct because it's apparently meant to hype this holiday season releases which means no Prime news but I'll hold onto a glimmer of hope that we get a nifty trailer or something cause "coming soon" is better than being omitted altogether.

On the plus side I'm looking forward to any NSO updates, or Switch ports especially WW/TP ... always on board for more Nintendo like that Peach game coming out and some Pokemon news.

And for Smash if they announce a Sora Amiibo that'd be cool but unlikely, apparently.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Project X Zone 3. Man, I miss that series. I hope it makes a return
(no matter if Sonic is there)
Man, Project x Zone 3 would be cool, that would be a nice throwback for sure.
But sadly, i don't see it happening, bc the director left, but anything can happen, and let's hope this one does happen even if it's aganist the odds lol.

I'm hoping for Fortune Street too, but that one is also unlikely.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Project X Zone 3. Man, I miss that series. I hope it makes a return
(no matter if Sonic is there)
That reminds me; if by some miracle PxZ3 happened, what Pair and Solo units would you guys want and nobody say Sonic
For me:
  • Frank West & Chuck Greene (Dead Rising)
  • Sakura Shinguji & Sakura Amamiya (Sakura Wars)
  • Edelgard & Dimitri (Fire Emblem)
  • Noah & Mio (Xenoblade)
  • Sketch Turner (Comix Zone)
  • Claude (Fire Emblem)

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
That reminds me; if by some miracle PxZ3 happened, what Pair and Solo units would you guys want and nobody say Sonic

Pair Units:
  • Pac-Man and Blinky
  • Tails and Big
  • Knuckles and Rouge
  • Amy and Cream
  • Silver and Blaze
  • Mighty and Ray
  • Metal Sonic and Sage
  • Heavy and Bomb
  • Alex Kidd and Stella
  • ToeJam and Earl
  • Vectorman and Dynamite Headdy
  • Jack Frost and Pyro Jack
  • Mega Man (Classic) and Bass
  • Guts Man and Cut Man
  • Storm Eagle and Spark Mandrill
  • Sir Arthur and Firebrandt
  • Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe
  • Puzzle Fighter/Gem Fighter Ryu and Mighty Final Fight Haggar
  • Eggman and Wily
  • Dig-Dug and Pengo
  • Blue Badger and Teddy (guy in a costume)
  • Mario and Luigi
Solo Units:
  • Klonoa
  • Wagan
  • The Prince of All Cosmos
  • Shadow
  • Vector
  • Honey the Cat
  • Ristar
  • Morgana
  • The Under the Skin alien
  • Palico (Monster Hunter Diary)
  • Monster Hunter Stories Rathalos
  • Serv-Bot
  • Puzzle Fighter/Gem Fighter Morrigan

And there you have it, a laundry list without the blue rat.
Anyone with Ichiban Kasuga

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's been a while since we've had one of these. I don't think we've had a dedicated direct thread since the Smash era (at least according to Smashboards search, maybe I missed a keyword or something).

Personal Predictions (with some more realistic than others):
  • Final info for Super Mario Wonder, obviously we just had a big direct dedicated, perhaps just small final tidbits
  • More info for Untitled Peach Game, at least finally give us a name for it
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 6, predicting Diddy Kong and Pauline as the last two characters
  • Super Mario RPG Remake info
  • New DKC or Mario vs DK
  • F-Zero GX port or remaster
  • Ports of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD
  • Ports of Prime 2 and 3, IDK if their going the full Remaster route like with 1 or just straight ports
  • Tears of the Kingdom DLC, possibly playable Zelda campaign
  • NSO stuff, maybe we can finally get Pokemon Gen 1-3 on there
  • Splatoon 3 DLC, more info about the Side Order

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
For me:
  • Noah & Mio (Xenoblade)
  • Claude (Fire Emblem)
Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise pair would be cool.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
And of course, it starts while I'm at work. Oh joy...

Anyway, just as a refresher, what exactly did Pyoro leak? I know their stuff kinda went viral in the leadup to all this (may wanna spoiler it, just in case).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So I am hung up on the fact that nobody seems to know what's going on with Pyoro's "what will close the Direct?" tweet.

I assume that they did that to make people start guessing, and then for them to cryptically like responses with correct guesses.

But I haven't heard of any further updates regarding this Pyoro bit, so does this mean that the Direct closer will be something nobody is guessing???

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So I am hung up on the fact that nobody seems to know what's going on with Pyoro's "what will close the Direct?" tweet.

I assume that they did that to make people start guessing, and then for them to cryptically like responses with correct guesses.

But I haven't heard of any further updates regarding this Pyoro bit, so does this mean that the Direct closer will be something nobody is guessing???
That is what I am kinda thinking. If I recall correct, the implied method that Pyoror is getting their info is actually seeing the Direct ahead of time rather than hearing it through other people, so Pyoro might be privy to something only that method can really show. Doesn't matter how much obfuscating info is thrown into the mix if you can just see the announcements yourself.

The natural implication of that idea is that whatever it is that Pyoro knows is something that is a tightly guarded to leaks via other means, which would have to be something really big.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For me:
  • Noah & Mio (Xenoblade)
  • Claude (Fire Emblem)
Some new SEGA series' I'd like to see include Phantasy Star, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe, Spikeout, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes and Rent A Hero - hell, throw Popo from Mushiking in there. I forget, did Valkyria Chronicles come back for 2? If not, I'd like it to come back. Same for other cut franchises such as House of the Dead and Dynamite Deka. I'd also like it if the Yakuza characters were based on the actual mainline games lol

As for other companies, I'd like to see more retro Namco picks besides just Valkyrie (such as Gil, Taira no Kagekiyo and Bravoman), and as for Capcom I'm down for just about anyone.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Considering we supposedly figured out Another Code of all things, that would say quite a bit about the final announcement...

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The natural implication of that idea is that whatever it is that Pyoro knows is something that is a tightly guarded to leaks via other means, which would have to be something really big.
Well there are lots of announcements big and small that don't end up leaked. I don't think it necessarily has to be this huge announcement, especially with this being towards the end of the Switch's lifecycle. I think it may just be something quite unexpected.
I wonder if anyone is willing to roll through everything that has been guessed in direct reply to that pyoro tweet (I don't have Twitter myself).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well there are lots of announcements big and small that don't end up leaked. I don't think it necessarily has to be this huge announcement, especially with this being towards the end of the Switch's lifecycle. I think it may just be something quite unexpected.
I wonder if anyone is willing to roll through everything that has been guessed in direct reply to that pyoro tweet (I don't have Twitter myself).
Fair, I think there is an element to leaking like this where you don't want to spoil everything. If you become too much of leaking menace, concequences are likely going to find you even faster.

But I still think this is going to be something notable, if just because it will be the final thing shown off. The fact that Pyoro is calling attention to it at all implies that as well. Maybe going into exacts would hypothetically push their luck as a leaker, but they still want to hint that they know of something important at the end.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Considering we supposedly figured out Another Code of all things, that would say quite a bit about the final announcement...
Sure but there were far fewer things that fit the description that the leaker gave in that case.

Fair, I think there is an element to leaking like this where you don't want to spoil everything. If you become too much of leaking menace, concequences are likely going to find you even faster.

But I still think this is going to be something notable, if just because it will be the final thing shown off. The fact that Pyoro is calling attention to it at all implies that as well. Maybe going into exacts would hypothetically push their luck as a leaker, but they still want to hint that they know of something important at the end.
Well yeah it has to be something big enough to, well, close the Direct. But not all Direct closers are equal, I mean in Sept. 2019 it was Xenoblade DE, i.e. just a remaster. It could be something like that once again, but just a very undertalked game that is getting the treatment, for example.

On more outright/significant leaks making them more likely to be caught: I can't pretend to know their particular situation so it just depends on how they're getting any info they may have.

Also the thing simply being surprising or near impossible to guess would also warrant Pyoro calling attention to it aside from it having to be a huge announcement.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do you guys think the direct will be dissapointing?
I'll see what happens. Can't really say anything about it when it's not out yet.

Obviously, even if it turned out to be the best Direct ever, there will be at least one person who finds it disappointing regardless. The power of pettiness is beyond anybody's understanding.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, Project x Zone 3 would be cool, that would be a nice throwback for sure.
But sadly, i don't see it happening, bc the director left, but anything can happen, and let's hope this one does happen even if it's aganist the odds lol.

I'm hoping for Fortune Street too, but that one is also unlikely.
It was the creators that left actually. The producer is still around I think

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Anyway, just as a refresher, what exactly did Pyoro leak?
Official info leading to SSBU DLC Fightsers pass 3 speculation

1 No Sora Amiibo yet, or even annnouncement , nor update to SSBU
1.1 new Amiibo announcements has, also, 100% always connected to a new release or announcement.

2 New Amiibo announced w/ Xenoblade 3 DLC finished & , no release date. , ( Noah & Mio )

3 Square Enix isn't marketing the SMRPG remake on social media, the last time they did this was for a direct announcement with DQ11S when it was revealed in the Feb 2019 direct, they only started marketing it a day before Hero's reveal.

4 The Gamecube Controller got restocked in Japan, last time that happened was with Vol. 2's reveal (3 weeks before)

5 Smash site updated, removing the accessories tab.

6 Next gen isn't launching until Sep/Oct 2024, they wouldn't reveal a "Deluxe" or 6 a year out, it would be more marketing than SSBU got.

1 Before the restocks, Papa heard ; "Something more may be happening with SSBU", the timeframe the source heard would of been June 2023.

2 The Gamecube Controller restocks aren't happening in USA yet, since NoA is the global marketing center for Nintendo, which probably means they're holding off for a announcement.

3 Necro Felipe , posted on X , in Portuguese
The folks who went crazy with Mario's Direct & are Nintendo fans , will still need tranquilizers in the coming weeks.

does this mean that the Direct closer will be something nobody is guessing???

i expect it to end with Smash Bros Content. Save the Best for last

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Here's my bingo card. Admittedly, I've never done one of these before - and beyond snippets I've heard around here, I don't really know what's actually on the cards on Nintendo's side or cooking in other game companies. I've left some of these a little vague, purely for purposes of fun and a little trolling.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DONKEY KONG PLEASE OH LORDDDDDDDDDDDDDD 😫

THE DROUGHT

THE THIRST

THE RUMOURS

THE TEASES!!!!!!!!!

It needs to come to a STOPPPPPPPPPP.

DK

DONKEY!!! KONG!!!

Yoooo like COME ONNNNNNNN

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Will do a bingo card here

EDIT - Hey got Bingo, to be fair looks like i went kind of easy on that 1st row, only major risk was committing to Diddy being in MK8D.

Almost got it 2X if we got a Punchout Wii port. Also was kind of right about a Rhythm game but did commit to Rhythm Heaven in particular.

Sora AmiiboMario Kart Teaser w/ DiddySplatoon Side OrderMario vs DKF-Zero 99
Wario Ware TrailerNier Replicant PortPunchout Wii PortXenoblade X PortAnother New Farming Game
Peach Game NameMore NSO Rare IPNintendo Games Shown (Free)Something Star FoxMario Wonder Reminder
New Mainline DKXenoblade WarriorsNo ZeldaSomething Rhythm HeavenPrime 4 Details
F-Zero GX RemakeSwitch Sequel TeasePokemon DLC ReminderPrime 2 & 3 Re-releaseNew Smash Content

Last edited:
Top Bottom