• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Direct Discussion Thread - 9.14.2023

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thousand year door and both another codes are getting remakes, i am so freaking happy

plus peachs game just looks fun, i wondered if they were going for the master of disguise route

so getting all five of those amiibos don't care how much of a fool i am

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If the effect transfers over to future new games then I will indeed let it go.
You should let it go regardless, people keep scapegoating Miyamoto for a decade old game even though he wasn't the reason why SS was the way that it was. He just said make it simple, Sticker Star being ass was the result of them making terrible decisions.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pretty Meh direct all things considered. I know I wasn’t expecting a whole lot but even I wasn’t blown away by anything. Mario Vs. DK looks great, TTYD coming back is awesome, Peach game is weird, Trace Memory coming back is SUPER cool, and the Tomb Raider Trilogy is a no brainer. I’m just disappointed in F-Zero more than anything. Oh well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You should let it go regardless, people keep scapegoating Miyamoto for a decade old game even though he wasn't the reason why SS was the way that it was. He just said make it simple, Sticker Star being ass was the result of them making terrible decisions.
And color splash and new super Mario bros and the huge crowd shots of nothing but multicolored toads in the Mario movie and origami king…

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
And color splash and new super Mario bros and the huge crowd shots of nothing but multicolored toads in the Mario movie and origami king…
Color Splash was because they didn't realize people hated SS until it was too late. Miyamota wasn't involved in that.
NSMB was goated, idk what the complaint is here.
Idk what the complaint is about multcolored taods in the movie is about, that's just simple reuse of assets. It's time consuming to make entirely new models for backround characters.
Miyamoto wasn't involved with Origami King, in fact, at this time he hasn't been involved with Mario games for a long time

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
My craziest tinfoil Nintendo theory is that Miyamoto isn't singlehandedly responsible from everything you dislike about Mario games by holding the dev teams at a gunpoint.

Video games have credits for a reason, read them if you want to hate people with accuracy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm crying.
No Project X Zone 3!!
The dream is over. ☹
Darn, Project X Zone 3 will be Sega's equivalent of Half-Life 3.
Project X Zone 3 will never happen.
Is over, people.
There was no announcement for PxZ3, but I can live with that.
Dawg, we get it.

Go get some fresh air or something, youre like my crazy mom who mumbles the same **** to herself over and over. Documenting your DABDA doesn’t make you look less crazy

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
F-Zero 99 looks like a lot of fun and it's likely Nintendo wanting to gauge interest in the franchise. But I can definitely understand people saying it's such a monkey's paw scenario for them.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Dawg, we get it.

Go get some fresh air or something, youre like my crazy mom who mumbles the same **** to herself over and over. Documenting your DABDA doesn’t make you look less crazy
Aw
I hope your mom gets better.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I get the feeling we might get four more characters besides Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline, and Peachette in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Currently there are two ?’s but we are getting four more characters… so there would be four more ?’s after we get those four confirmed characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
There were a couple titles where it really felt like padding, but it did also feel like taking a trip through memory lane, with quite a bunch of blasts from the past and games inspired by older games. Another Code, Prince of Persia, Saga, Tomb Raider, Contra, etc.
  • Splatoon 3 Side Order looks quite interesting.
  • The new Mario vs Donkey Kong reminded me of Donkey Kong 94 alot, which I quite enjoyed.
  • The Metrovania Prince of Persia looked cool.
  • Super Mario RPG still looks great.
  • Another Code looks quite beautiful. And it comes with both games. Quite interested in it.
  • The Princess Peach game certainly brings out Peach's reservoir of costumes after Odyssey. That said, it's a cute idea.
  • Contra actually surprised me, and it's done by Wayforward, so I'm excited.
  • Unicorn Overlord reminded me alot of Ogre Battle. Looks interesting.
  • F-Zero 99 looks fine. I'll give it a try.
  • The new Wario Ware seems to take quite a bit from Smooth Moves, which I did enjoy.
  • Eiyuden Chronicle still looks great. As a Suikoden fan, I'm excited.
  • 4 new characters for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe certainly surprised me. On the other hand, Diddy and Funky!
  • The Among Us cinematic for the new map was cute. Even if I don't play the game, I enjoyed it for what it was.
  • Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door getting a remaster/remake is great.
So yeah, nothing really wowed me aside from Contra, Mario Kart getting 4 characters and Paper Mario getting a remaster/remake. Yeah, there were some titles that felt like they really needed something, but overall, I enjoyed this Direct.
It’s new? I thought it was a remake of the first Contra
If it is, it a very loose one. I saw levels that weren't in Contra 1, like the bike level.
It's a remake in the sense like how Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth and Contra Rebirth on the Wii are remakes of the games. Based on the original game, but still feels alot like a brand new game due to alot of new stuff.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get the feeling we might get four more characters besides Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline, and Peachette in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Currently there are two ?’s but we are getting four more characters… so there would be four more ?’s after we get those four confirmed characters.
Depends on if we get another pass. I'll just be grateful I was right that more than 6 characters was possible.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I feel like they just going to update the UI so Peachette and Pink gold Peach Will be skins of Peach, which would make room for Pauline.

This or no change in the UI and there's just hole. No way we're getting 8 characters on the last wave.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dawg, we get it.

I wanted Donkey Kong Country but you don’t here me bringing it up every five seconds.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
red roads
Hi Scooby Doo, I didn't know you had a Smashboards account!

I feel like they just going to update the UI so Peachette and Pink gold Peach Will be skins of Peach, which would make room for Pauline.

This or no change in the UI and there's just hole. No way we're getting 8 characters on the last wave.
Pink Gold Peach actually has different stats and is in a different weight class than Peach though, and I'm not sure that costumes have had those differences before, not to mention it would be strange to have Metal Mario have his own slot while Pink Gold Peach gets relegated to an alt.

Yeah, I'm not sure what their going to do though.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I was thinking the same thing except about the male and female variants of the inklings and villagers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Personally I’d just change the character select screen to make room for more characters from Mario Kart Tour.

Boy/Girl Villager in one slot
Girl/Boy Inkling in one slot
Mario, Metal Mario, Gold Mario, Tanooki Mario in one slot
Peach, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Peachette in one slot
Bowser and Dry Bowser in one slot
Koopa Troopa and Dry Bones in one slot

That’s how many more spaces…? 10?

Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline with their own slots plus Dixie Kong, Nabbit, King Bob-omb, Chargin’ Chuck, Monty Mole, Hammer Bro, and Poochy getting their own slots too.

Fire Bro, Ice Bro, and Boomerang Bro are in Hammer Bro’s slot.

At least that’s what I would have done for fan service while phasing out Mario Kart Tour.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
With all due respect who the hell wants to be told that GameCube controllers are back in stock during a showcase of new things? Sora amiibo is new, the GameCube controller is just restocked. Should I also be told if the neon Joycons are back too?

Your “big deal” sounds more like straws you’re grasping at.
I’m not saying it means anything one way or another, just that it stands out.

Your point is also made null by this exact direct.

They had so few announcements that among us, and a museum got special segments highlighting then.

Also this very direct literally said “hey, remember we sell nes switch controllers, go buy one!”

Yet the Smash pro controller( not a GameCube controller btw) which was one of their hottest selling items gets no mention?

The smash amiibo, their most sold amiibo, are finally back, and ignored? Considering directs have pointed both those things out in the past, I question why this didn’t.

Hell I’m even surprised they didn’t throw in a “don’t forget, you can capture the feel of the original thousand year door, with the switch GameCube controllers!”

Ivander

Smash Legend
Shouldn't Peachette be a skin of Toadette, considering, you know, Peachette is actually Toadette and not Peach?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Shouldn't Peachette be a skin of Toadette, considering, you know, Peachette is actually Toadette and not Peach?
But Toadette has Peach's body, which means she would have Peach's stats. Which mean she'd have to be a Peach costume.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But Toadette has Peach's body, which means she would have Peach's stats. Which mean she'd have to be a Peach costume.
But if Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach should be costumes for Mario and Peach respectively because they are power-ups forms for Mario and Peach, shouldn't Peachette be a costume for Toadette because she is a power-up form for Toadette?

Specifics aside, Peachette is probably just her own character slot. We just don't know where she and Pauline will be placed because of the currant UI and it's possible they might just arrange the UI to make them fit.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But if Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach should be costumes for Mario and Peach respectively because they are power-ups forms for Mario and Peach, shouldn't Peachette be a costume for Toadette because she is a power-up form for Toadette?
IF they move Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach, sure.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Personally I’d just change the character select screen to make room for more characters from Mario Kart Tour.

Boy/Girl Villager in one slot
Girl/Boy Inkling in one slot
Mario, Metal Mario, Gold Mario, Tanooki Mario in one slot
Peach, Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Peachette in one slot
Bowser and Dry Bowser in one slot
Koopa Troopa and Dry Bones in one slot

That’s how many more spaces…? 10?

Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline with their own slots plus Dixie Kong, Nabbit, King Bob-omb, Chargin’ Chuck, Monty Mole, Hammer Bro, and Poochy getting their own slots too.

Fire Bro, Ice Bro, and Boomerang Bro are in Hammer Bro’s slot.

At least that’s what I would have done for fan service while phasing out Mario Kart Tour.
Problem is some of those characters are in different weight classes from each other

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Overall there was a lot in this direct that wasn’t for me but remakes of both a series I thought I’d never see again and one of my favourite game cube games I can’t help but be excited

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No. I mean the game they showed today. Was it a remake of the gba game.
That was a remake of the GBA game. If I recall correctly, Toad was not a playable character in the original GBA game. It seems Toad might be playable in the Switch remake.

Top Bottom